Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
I played last night for the first time in a while and my skills have really atrophied. I'd like to blame it on being a new save, not having mirror/weapon upgrades and etc., but honestly I think I mostly need to git gudder again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Echoing that; I started up a new Hell Mode save and I've only seen styx once in 16 runs. The 5 heat isn't helping, sure, but I'm much worse now as I used to be able to make a fresh vanilla save and get pretty far consistently. The secret was guaranteed Athena dash, shhh

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I'm so bad at this game. 22 runs and I've only seen the third boss once. God Mode is right there and so tempting, but I don't want to disappoint myself by activating it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Turn on god mode it’s fine

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

ymgve posted:

I'm so bad at this game. 22 runs and I've only seen the third boss once. God Mode is right there and so tempting, but I don't want to disappoint myself by activating it.

You're about on pace, don't worry too much. As long as you've gotten to the third biome with each weapon you'll be getting plenty of darkness to feed the mirror.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I wouldn't turn on god mode unless you've mostly maxed the darkness upgrades and are still having trouble. They're intended to be your first victory progression system and things like having all 3 death defiances make a huge difference.

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010
Just had my best run so far and I didn't even use any attack boons! spoiler for hidden aspect

has anyone else tried doing boonless runs? Max level shackle gives such a huge damage boost, and tidal dash was a no-brainer since dashes aren't affected by the shackle and most of the damage comes from wall slams which just deleted everything I got close to. Had to take the athena cast though, since regular cast just didn't seem to do enough on its own to be worth it

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
God mode really isn't that much of a help. I mean that in a good way. You just get a small bump in toughness every time you die. It's not like you'll suddenly be steamrolling content. You can make a few more mistakes but you will still need to play the way the game is meant to be played.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Can someone explain Titan Blood and Aspects to me? I've cleared Mag with the sword, spear, bow, and shield. I have four Titan Blood and I'm not getting more. It sounds like "heats" can yield more Titan Blood but IDFK what a heat is, will that become apparent to me eventually?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

bamhand posted:

God mode really isn't that much of a help. I mean that in a good way. You just get a small bump in toughness every time you die. It's not like you'll suddenly be steamrolling content. You can make a few more mistakes but you will still need to play the way the game is meant to be played.

Yeah . I think it is fair honestly considering the difficulty is back loaded

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Wildtortilla posted:

Can someone explain Titan Blood and Aspects to me? I've cleared Mag with the sword, spear, bow, and shield. I have four Titan Blood and I'm not getting more. It sounds like "heats" can yield more Titan Blood but IDFK what a heat is, will that become apparent to me eventually?

It will become apparent to you.

Titan Blood is upgrade material for your weapons. Aspects are unlocks for your weapons that change the way they play in some way that also cost blood to upgrade.

Heat is a mechanic that will appear once you beat the game once, it lets you make the game harder to get more blood and diamonds.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

WarpedLichen posted:

Titan Blood is upgrade material for your weapons. Aspects are unlocks for your weapons that change the way they play in some way that also cost blood to upgrade.

Heat is a mechanic that will appear once you beat the game once, it lets you make the game harder to get more blood and diamonds.

To add to this, you won't be able to actually use the Titan blood to upgrade weapons until you've unlocked all 6 weapons.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

WarpedLichen posted:

Cool, thanks.

I'm really getting into this game. The bow is so freakin' fun to use. I just had in which my special's damage got jacked way up and it dealt a DOT. It was a fun one for sure!

I wasn't expecting this many synergies as I'm seeing in the codex. This game's really blowing up my expectations and rounding out my summer of roguelites (Gungeon to Dead Cells to a ton of Isaac). I'm getting strong Isaac vibes from this and it's a good thing. Only problem with longevity I'm afraid of is lack of enemy variety. Does it get more varied as one puts more time into the game?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Wildtortilla posted:

I wasn't expecting this many synergies as I'm seeing in the codex. This game's really blowing up my expectations and rounding out my summer of roguelites (Gungeon to Dead Cells to a ton of Isaac). I'm getting strong Isaac vibes from this and it's a good thing. Only problem with longevity I'm afraid of is lack of enemy variety. Does it get more varied as one puts more time into the game?

Each of the 4 floors has it's own enemy list but I think it's no more than 8-10 varieties per floor.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
But enemies get more moves and attacks and shielding optionally when you increase the difficulty, which can change things up a ton.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Okay what the gently caress I made it all the way to the final zone without dying on a totally amazing run with great boons and I get to the zone with rats and poison just completely owns me. Is there something I'm missing here? I lost four lives just to poison. I was using the sword so I didn't have a ranged option to just stand super far away and pick them off, but that doesn't exactly seem like what was intended.

e: I also had the take 90% less damage from traps boon so that doesn't do anything either

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 18, 2020

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Okay what the gently caress I made it all the way to the final zone without dying on a totally amazing run with great boons and I get to the zone with rats and poison just completely owns me. Is there something I'm missing here? I lost four lives just to poison. I was using the sword so I didn't have a ranged option to just stand super far away and pick them off, but that doesn't exactly seem like what was intended.

e: I also had the take 90% less damage from traps boon so that doesn't do anything either

when you get poisoned you can run to one of the pool things thats filled with yellow liquid, drink that and it cures your poison

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

There's fountains that cure poison in every room. Also, there's no unavoidable poison attack.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
The poison stuff I'm not a huge fan of, I find the pools a bit finicky at times and poison drains hard.

Athena dash to bounce that back forever.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

dmboogie posted:

when you get poisoned you can run to one of the pool things thats filled with yellow liquid, drink that and it cures your poison

Oh, dammit.

Unreal_One posted:

There's fountains that cure poison in every room. Also, there's no unavoidable poison attack.

Yeah my boons were the sword one where you regen health, take 10% less damage from Aphrodite, take 10% less damage from Athena, and the trinket thing where you take 20% less damage from the front. I hadn't dropped below full health outside of boss fights so I'd just been rushing every enemy down no problem, but the rats had armor and the rooms were small so one hit was enough to kill me basically

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Oh, dammit.

Yeah my boons were the sword one where you regen health, take 10% less damage from Aphrodite, take 10% less damage from Athena, and the trinket thing where you take 20% less damage from the front. I hadn't dropped below full health outside of boss fights so I'd just been rushing every enemy down no problem, but the rats had armor and the rooms were small so one hit was enough to kill me basically

I had a similar experience with my first time getting to styx, I was using the sword hammer upgrade that gives you lifesteal but greatly reduces the amount of max HP you have, and the poison was more than happy enough to eat through my hp faster than I could steal it back (or before I could find the poison cure in time).

It becomes much easier to deal with after you've seen all those rooms a bunch of times and know roughly where the poison cures are.

That lifesteal hammer was definitely carrying my rear end my first ~6-7 runs though, got much farther than I should have been able to :v:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
you've got to be especially wary of the boss satyr for that same reason, its poison effects are enhanced and will make your lifebar plummet even without any of the extra conditions applied

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Do you need to increase heart level for characters to get new dialog opportunities? Especially as it relates to side stories developments. I know that gifts can get you items but also wondering if it also is necessary to get new storylines or develop existing ones like Eurydice and Orpheus

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

theblackw0lf posted:

Do you need to increase heart level for characters to get new dialog opportunities? Especially as it relates to side stories developments. I know that gifts can get you items but also wondering if it also is necessary to get new storylines or develop existing ones like Eurydice and Orpheus

Yes, some events are locked behind bond level.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
The Broken Spearpoint keepsake that you get from Achilles helps a lot with Styx. It will mitigate a few ticks of damage from poison or snake stones until you can get out of the way or get to a healing well.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Is starting out with a specific God's keepsake to try for a specific boon build a smart move?

I can swap out keepsakes between zones now, and I'm not having problems in the first zone much anymore, so I think I can shelve Skelly's keepsake until zone 2.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Wildtortilla posted:

Is starting out with a specific God's keepsake to try for a specific boon build a smart move?

I can swap out keepsakes between zones now, and I'm not having problems in the first zone much anymore, so I think I can shelve Skelly's keepsake until zone 2.

If you aren't doing a dodge run its this or a purse as you get further and save skelly for the end. Not just smart, but pretty much the only move.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Only had time to play one run yesterday, but is there a way to finally open those doors in the lobby?

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Wildtortilla posted:

I only aim for a boon that synergizes with other stuff I already have; basically floor 2 I always run a boon trinket. You can run Athena on floor 1 if you want an easy run, but I think deflect is boring and I hate picking Athena boons now.

Floor 1 keepsake is always Chaos Egg for me. Usually ensures a decent build.

I wouldn't aim for a specific boon until you unlock a certain thing.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

PageMaster posted:

Picked this up for switch bit still trying to find a comfortable control scheme. Are the default generally preferred (on gamepad) or are there any changes I should consider? I'm specifically looking at trying dash on a shoulder button but don't know if that's going to hinder me down the line.

Dash on R is a 100% improvement

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Dpulex posted:

Dash on R is a 100% improvement

How do dash attacks work with dash on R? I press A+B at the same time for dash attacks. Button combos are easier for me if they're next to one another. Or do you not have to press them at the same time?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Wildtortilla posted:

How do dash attacks work with dash on R? I press A+B at the same time for dash attacks. Button combos are easier for me if they're next to one another. Or do you not have to press them at the same time?

Are you playing with a claw grip or something?

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

Harold Fjord posted:

If you aren't doing a dodge run its this or a purse as you get further and save skelly for the end. Not just smart, but pretty much the only move.

This reminds me to finally google something, but both the butterfly and the feather keepsake benefits are only kept while you have them equipped so there's no point in just using them early. I was thinking I was being smart by equipping one or the other for the first zone for easy buff stacks then switching to whichever god keepsakes synergize with the build I end up with :saddowns:

I thought those buffs would stick around since they have to be 'earned' rather than being given immediately for equipping them.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Manyorcas posted:

This reminds me to finally google something, but both the butterfly and the feather keepsake benefits are only kept while you have them equipped so there's no point in just using them early. I was thinking I was being smart by equipping one or the other for the first zone for easy buff stacks then switching to whichever god keepsakes synergize with the build I end up with :saddowns:

I thought those buffs would stick around since they have to be 'earned' rather than being given immediately for equipping them.

I thought the same thing, the fact that you have to keep them equipped makes them a bit less worth using IMO.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I've just been leveling all my keepsakes. After 57 hours I still have two keepsakes at level 2. It will be weird actually making strategic decisions with them finally.

Rupert of Hentzau
Nov 23, 2005
Victim of gross furniture discourtesy.

thehoodie posted:

Only had time to play one run yesterday, but is there a way to finally open those doors in the lobby?

Eventually. You need to keep clearing the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harold Fjord posted:

I tend to prefer Persephone's instead because getting a free rando-pom every three rooms really adds up if you start early.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

I tend to prefer Persephone's instead because getting a free rando-pom every three rooms really adds up if you start early.

Hmm yes this new end game item sounds quite good as well and if I understand right it's equally effective no matter when you equip it or if you keep it into the next level or even unequip, which is nice.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Wildtortilla posted:

You don't have to press them together, but you do have to piano-key them a bit so that the attack happens during the dash animation.

It's mostly a problem for the fists' dash-upper, which is an awkward key combination to hit (at least on PC).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I think I made a mistake spreading the Titan Blood around instead of focusing on one weapon to improve. Since now I'm not getting anymore. I'm also only handing out Nectar to those I haven't given any to yet to collect the keepsakes.

Currently working now the Elysium boss. Might get it on the next run now that I've got another additional death defiance.