Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Ya I was getting this before. Really annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well, get ready for 14.0.1 I guess :q:

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Boris Galerkin posted:

What's the point of using the YouTube app over just using Safari? Safari Youtube lets me do picture in picture and doesn't hijack YouTube links.
On my iPad at least, using the app you can double tap the left or right side of the video to go backwards/forwards 10 seconds.

E: you can also use the “two finger spread” to go full screen, and vice versa.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The OP is super old and hasn’t been updated, is this the thread to ask about accessories like cases? I have an IPhone 11 Pro Max, and just had to drop $200 for a replacement (through Asurion insurance), because I dropped it and the screen shattered and one of the camera lens coverings on the back broke as well, even though I had it in a (lovely) case.

So, is there an agreed upon best option for a case / screen protector?

RCarr fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 18, 2020

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Spigen cases are good. I’ve been putting them on my iPhones for years and have never broken one despite dropping them at least once a week.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

RCarr posted:

The OP is super old and hasn’t been updated, is this the thread to ask about accessories like cases? I have an IPhone 11 Pro Max, and just had to drop $200 for a replacement (through Asurion insurance), because I dropped it and the screen shattered and one of the camera lens coverings on the back broke as well, even though I had it in a (lovely) case.

So, is there an agreed upon best option for a case / screen protector?

I know it’s past this but Asurion is hot garbage. You are light years better with apple care +.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

I know it’s past this but Asurion is hot garbage. You are light years better with apple care +.

Yeah I realized this after the 60 day purchase window was up, unfortunately.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

RCarr posted:

Yeah I realized this after the 60 day purchase window was up, unfortunately.

Yeah it sucks. Sorry.

I’ve had to use them once and never ever again.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
iPhone 8 still going strong. We have money saved for new phones but I think we’ll just turn that into bike stuff money and check next year. Maybe get new batteries?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

tuyop posted:

Maybe get new batteries?

Always a good idea if it’s starting to feel weak.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Boris Galerkin posted:

What's the point of using the YouTube app over just using Safari? Safari Youtube lets me do picture in picture and doesn't hijack YouTube links.

And Adblock works.
And you can play the audio with your screen off if you switch to desktop view.

Adblock alone makes it worth it, especially now that unskippable mid-roll ads exist.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I just noticed the little yellow dot that shows when the microphone is on, that’s good.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

realbez posted:

I just noticed the little yellow dot that shows when the microphone is on, that’s good.

Love the way in coming calls comes in now. Finally.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

MarcusSA posted:

Love the way in coming calls comes in now. Finally.

Yeah it’s the “why did this take so long?” update

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

As someone that use a watch and airpods daily I’m actually really enjoying the battery widget. It also helps to make me aware that the watch isn’t seated well on its charger which is something I mess up often.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

So I noticed this in 13 but still present in 14, can you no longer longpress the refresh button in Safari to choose to reload without content blockers?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

ijyt posted:

So I noticed this in 13 but still present in 14, can you no longer longpress the refresh button in Safari to choose to reload without content blockers?

This option got moved to the menu where you change font size (the aA button in the address bar)

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Godzilla07 posted:

This option got moved to the menu where you change font size (the aA button in the address bar)

Oh snap, thanks.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I got a new phone plan/number and I keep getting what looks like spam texts to the previous owner of this number. It’s always addressed to the same name and apparently it was a legit person cause I put in the number into Venmo and it greeted me as that former person. I already went into Messages settings and turned on “filter unknown senders” but I still get the god drat notifications every time a random number texts “Tyler”. What the hell can I do to just block them all completely? Like just block all unknown numbers from creating notifications?

The most annoying thing is they get pushed to my watch too. If I could do one thing then I’d want them to stop buzzing my wrist.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Have you tried just getting a new number from the phone company? I had to do that a few years back and it greatly reduced spam messages.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Oh drat I forgot about the Back Tap option under Accessibility. Trying to think of something I could use for it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

CFox posted:

Have you tried just getting a new number from the phone company? I had to do that a few years back and it greatly reduced spam messages.

If it was a bunch of random spam then I would but it’s all mostly legit texts to the old owner of this number :shrug:

Question Mark Mound posted:

Oh drat I forgot about the Back Tap option under Accessibility. Trying to think of something I could use for it.

I have “Shake” for one of mine cause shaking my phone to undo is dumb.

fivehead
Jul 11, 2017

Americans Need Cash Now
Is the Safari ‘Tracking Protection’ automatically used in iOS 14? Is there still a reason to use an additional content protection plugin like 1Blocker or the pseudo locked down Firefox?

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

If it was a bunch of random spam then I would but it’s all mostly legit texts to the old owner of this number :shrug:

I have “Shake” for one of mine cause shaking my phone to undo is dumb.

I mean it sounds like the former owner of that number signed up for a bunch of junk, it's not like it's going to get any better. No reason to try and make something that's broken work when you could just get a new number without that problem.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Horace posted:

In fact, it's kinda ruined my plans to buy the iPhone 12. This ol' phone works far too well to justify an upgrade.

Yeah it’s a great problem to have. My XR is 2 years old exactly and I don’t feel any need to upgrade it like I did with my 5C or my 7 Plus. Better screen:body ratio would be nice, or maybe a lack of notch. But really this thing performs like a champ and the camera owns bones.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
App updates don’t seem to be working for me this morning. I click Update and they spin, then turn back into the Update button again. I’ve tried force closing the App Store and also did a full phone reboot. Is it possible the update servers are down?

Edit: now I get this

LuckyCat fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 18, 2020

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

LuckyCat posted:

App updates don’t seem to be working for me this morning. I click Update and they spin, then turn back into the Update button again. I’ve tried force closing the App Store and also did a full phone reboot. Is it possible the update servers are down?

I think they're having some infrastructure or CDN issues in general. iCloud has been wonky for the last few days. I had email drop briefly for about 2-3 minutes earlier today.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Godzilla07 posted:

One more note is that if you change the stuff in the "website settings" in there they’ll stick, so you don’t have to change things every time you visit a particular site.

fivehead posted:

Is the Safari ‘Tracking Protection’ automatically used in iOS 14? Is there still a reason to use an additional content protection plugin like 1Blocker or the pseudo locked down Firefox?
I think it’s meant to trick tracking so it can't keep track of you between sites, but that doesn’t necessarily mean the same thing as blocking stuff. Like it shouldn’t block ads or anything if you want that too. In theory I’m guessing it should reduce/prevent targeted ads based on other browsing history, but won’t block the ads themselves.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

LuckyCat posted:

I was having that problem with "Update All", but when I pressed Update on the individual apps, it seemed to work ok. :shrug:

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

XBenedict posted:

I was having that problem with "Update All", but when I pressed Update on the individual apps, it seemed to work ok. :shrug:

Not working even with individual presses. :( My OCD nature wants to get that 4 badge cleared off but I’ll just ignore it until their servers work again!

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Does anyone have the option to set a default mail app showing?

I can’t see it when I go into the Outlook settings.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Sri.Theo posted:

Sri.Theo posted:

Are you looking in the iOS settings for outlook, or in Outlooks app settings?

For Spark it’s in the iOS settings.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Is it possible to reclassify an app’s folder in the App Drawer? I want to move Awful from “entertainment” to “social”

Weedle
May 31, 2006

are you not entertained????

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
I am fully embracing the switch to App Library and Widgets. Spent yesterday removing every app from my home screen and folders I previously created so now they are only accessible through the Control Panel, App Library/Search, and Widgets. My home screen is just a Calendar widget, Weather widget, and News smart stack, with the 4 apps on the Dock. App Suggestions in the Today View lists the apps I would most likely be using 99% of the time, once I went thru the settings and removed all of the stuff I already had shortcuts or Widgets for. All of my rarely used apps are just a quick Search away. Digging this new system.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I just need widgets to have notification badges for Reminders, but I might try an entirely app-free Home Screen this weekend!

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

Is it possible to reclassify an app’s folder in the App Drawer? I want to move Awful from “entertainment” to “social”

I really wish you could. I have some apps for IoT stuff that show up in Utilities and some that show up in Other, whereas before I made my own folder called Home to hold all of that stuff. Also, an Education folder with one app in it. Dumb.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
It really throws me off that the app drawer main view doesn’t have notification badges on the big three icons, only when you fully open the folder do they show up.

It’s *so* close to being what I really want!

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

It really throws me off that the app drawer main view doesn’t have notification badges on the big three icons, only when you fully open the folder do they show up.

It’s *so* close to being what I really want!

Settings > Home Screen > Show in App Library

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

XBenedict posted:

Settings > Home Screen > Show in App Library
Never would’ve thought to check Settings cuz I’m an idiot. Thanks!!

Now hunting through settings and force pressing various things to see if I can move apps to other drawer folders.