Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/ejhchess/status/1307017700158431232?s=20

https://twitter.com/lmartods/status/1307021988691693568?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

kecske posted:

I saw a guy on a bus pull his mask down and expose his mouth in order to cough, before pulling it back up into place

It's complicated if you need to cough (I've always coughed a lot). I slide a tissue or hankie up between the mask and my gob if I need to cough.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Never understood why people like that guy. His voice is deeply tedious and he is underhand.

He wrote Gloria which is an absolute stonecold classic, the Patti Smith cover is one of the very finest track 1, side 1's in recorded history. But even Them's version is electric R&B. At his peak, Van Morrison's voice had such fire & soul in it. And I'll stand up for Astral Weeks & Moondance, 2 very good albums. Utter bellend but if I call him a poor man's Howlin' Wolf that's less a statement on Van & more on how much I love Wolf.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Yeah. This guy DMed me in response to saying something about how Corbyn was not antisemitic:

In other news:

https://twitter.com/DurstApologist/status/1307019626161885190?s=20

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

WhatEvil posted:

Yeah. This guy DMed me in response to saying something about how Corbyn was not antisemitic:

In other news:

tell him that it explains why she's his ex-wife

or just link any of the Graeber stuff about it

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
"people voted for the Tories because they're idiots" isn't exactly news

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lmao that economist tweet/article i posted yesterday]

https://twitter.com/halaljew/status/1307016321247383554?s=20

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Never understood why people like that guy. His voice is deeply tedious and he is underhand.

There was a venue called Town & Country Club in Kentish Town and they were bought out by Mean Fiddler who renamed it Forum.

Anyway, in a grave, dramatic voice, the owner of the T&C announced that they'd managed to get Van Morrison for their last ever gig as in 'what an honour, he's showing how much he respects our venue' kind of a way. So that was 21st March 1993.

So it closed. Then the Forum opened up (maybe even the next night) and guess who was their first headline act? Yes, Van Morrison.

Saw Echobelly at the Forum in 1996 maybe. Lovely venue, but it's no Brixton Academy. But this will always be the best thing done at the Town & Country Club

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7QL_PDC5XM

The Pogues, Joe Strummer, Kirsty MacColl, various members of The Specials do 'A Message To You Rudy'

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jose posted:

lmao that economist tweet/article i posted yesterday]

https://twitter.com/halaljew/status/1307016321247383554?s=20
Just using HK for its intended purpose.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

DesperateDan posted:

Now on day 4 of trying to get a covid test for my eldest kid- yesterday there was a slot 30 miles away!

In Kent. Which is on the other side of the thames river.

Yeah, lots of things don't take into account that there's no crossing further east than Dartford. Yes, technically speaking, this shop that I'm looking for is only 10 miles away. If I had a loving boat.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

abolish the home office and gulag everyone employed there

https://twitter.com/maybulman/status/1307030852279431173?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What you're saying is I could make a lot of money if I moved down south and charged people to punt them across the river with a ferry.

Or, possibly, if I could buy an army surplus bridging tank.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I don't know anything about boats but punting across the estuary past Dartford seems like it would be extremely hard work

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have looked up where dartford is and have come to the conclusion that I might need more than one bridging tank. And possibly a longer than normal punt.

My previous assumption that the river was basically just like the upper tees and that nobody had bothered to build a bridge over it may have been in error.

I also wish to lodge a complaint about dartford because it is located on the other side of the country from the river dart and I do not see where the ford is supposed to be located.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 18, 2020

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
The tolls on the Dartford crossings are one of the stupidest things about the UK road network.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

https://twitter.com/ShaunLintern/status/1307020722250878988

At this juncture I can only assume we're going for mass murder. Looking forward to "excess COVID attendances to hospital" plus "winter pressures" plus "half the staff off waiting on testing via inadequate services" all aligning and killing off a good 3% of the population.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

OwlFancier posted:

What you're saying is I could make a lot of money if I moved down south and charged people to punt them across the river with a ferry.

Charon Crossing LTD.

How much is a season ticket across the Styx?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

kecske posted:

Charon Crossing LTD.

How much is a season ticket to the Styx and back?

Ask Jaeluni :v:

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

Jose posted:

abolish the home office and gulag everyone employed there

I've long been of the opinion that we should simply put everyone from the home office in prison and to make space let everyone out of prison and they can work for the home office. I genuinely think this would be a significant step to improving the country

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

kyojin posted:

I've long been of the opinion that we should simply put everyone from the home office in prison and to make space let everyone out of prison and they can work for the home office. I genuinely think this would be a significant step to improving the country

What if we put the home office people in the ocean and just didn't replace them

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Just because we've left the EU doesn't mean we can afford to be cavalier with our environmental standards.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

Continuity RCP posted:

What if we put the home office people in the ocean and just didn't replace them

Whale bois are already sick of our poo poo https://www.ecowatch.com/orcas-ramming-boats-spain-2647639225.html

How about we compromise and put them in a volcano

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think that nicely answers the prison abolition objection.
"People shouldn't be in prison."
"But what about the pedophiles?"
"Good point, imprison the Home Office."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I suppose you could put the home office, like the actual office, in the ocean, and make an artificial reef.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

OwlFancier posted:

Just because we've left the EU doesn't mean we can afford to be cavalier with our environmental standards.

Of course not. We're crashing the economy, and fossil fuels cost money.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Soylent Yellow posted:

Of course not. We're crashing the economy, and fossil fuels cost money.

A fracking franchise in every town, and a bucket of coal for every table.
Promises you can depend on.
Vote Tory.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

William Morris/Lord Nuffield is an interesting case. One of the few genuinely self-made men who went from selling home-made bicycles from his parents' parlour to Britain's largest car maker and one of the richest individuals in the British Empire. He never took out a bank loan or sought partnerships or a share issue for Morris Motors - early ventures with investors and partners making motorcycles had gone badly for him and twice he lost all his savings and was ejected from his own workshop with only his box of hand tools. The car company was grown incrementally through saved revenue, not borrowing or share issues and shares were offered only twice - once in 1926 to fund the founding of Pressed Steel to build all-steel car bodies with methods and equipment imported from America and again in 1936 to raise capital to buy out and incorporate other firms that William Morris had either founded and grown separately (like MG) or bought outright (like Wolseley).

He had an unusual and staunch attitude to wealth - believing that hard work, innovation and improvement were in themselves noble endeavours and that the only purpose of becoming wealthy as a result of them was to improve the society that had provided him with his success. He was vehemently against use of foreign capital, believing that British cars should be made in British factories funded by British capital and built by British workers using materials and components sourced from British suppliers. He was also an ardent imperialist (in the sense of the colonies providing much of the raw materials for the cars which would then be exported back to the captive market). He was an autocratic paternalist who reflected his disdain for having to answer to investors and shareholders with a similar dislike of trade unions (he kept them out of all the Morris factories until after the General Strike) while also giving his employees some of the best free-at-point-of-use social services in the country and organising pioneering research into worker-focussed management and production techniques (formalising the 'radical' idea that if you treat your workers decently and give them actual agency over their work they do more of it and to a better quality) which culminated in his funding the world's first car plant to use Just In Time and Lean Production methods which was used as a model by Toyota and Nissan in the 1950s. He was also a strong supporter (to the tune of a £50,000 donation) of Mosley's New Party and its Keynesian/corporatist manifesto, although he would denounce Mosley once he slid into outright fascism.

Nuffield semi-retired from his businesses in 1936 and began the project of the last third of his life - to give away as much of his fortune as possible. He did so to the tune of £30 million in contemporary currency (something like £800 million today), founding the Nuffield Foundation (which researches issues of health, welfare and social justice), the Nuffield Trust (which coordinated healthcare provision across all the private hospitals in Britain and provided most of the administrative and practical research and experience and support in the founding of the NHS), what is now Nuffield Health (the charitable hospital and gym group) and provided the startup capital for BUPA. He also founded Nuffield College at Oxford and provided £60,000 to build the cyclotron at the University of Birmingham. He set up a production line at the Morris works to build iron lungs which were given for free to any hospital in the British Empire that requested one.

Despite his 'retirement' and his decreasing interest in his car business, he continued what Morris senior management called 'destructive criticism', imposing his increasingly idiosyncratic and outmoded views on car design and engineering as Morris tried to create a new range of cars for the post-war era, dismissing Alec Issigonis (designer of the Minor, future designer of the Mini and one of the great creative geniuses of post-war Britain) as 'that foreign fellow' and deliberately refusing to properly use his name ("Issi-wissi-wassinsame" was as close as he deigned) or even appear in public with any of the designer's cars, despite them being the most successful to ever have his name on the front. His complete lack of personal skills and his refusal to trust any of his colleagues, however senior or long-serving, led to a string of dramatic fallings-out - he sacked Leonard Lord who had completely overhauled the Morris works in the 1930s and masterminded a new product range which saw Morris gain huge sales and profits (greatly enriching Lord Nuffield personally as a result) in the grips of the Great Depression and Cecil Kimber who had worked with him since 1921 and had virtually single-handedly turned MG into one of the most valuable car marques in the world. His micro-management was strangely mixed with a complete disinterest in the long-term survival of 'his' company, so when Morris and arch-rival Austin merged in 1952 the only priority for Lord Nuffield was that the new merged firm continued the existing funding arrangments for his charities. Which set in motion most of the disastrous managerial, financial, planning and engineering decisions which would lead to the slow-motion destruction of the British car industry over the next 30 years.

An authoritarian, imperialist bastard who never made a single lasting friendship or business relationship, who repaired his own shoes and cycled to the office even when he was the 1930s equivalent of a billionaire and who was also one of the most dedicated and effective philanthropists in British history and who made a major contribution to the existence of the welfare state as we (still just about...) know it.

In conclusion William Morris, Viscount Nuffield, is a man of contrast...

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Have some Hellworld 2020 links:

NHS hospitals aren't allowed to do their own Covid testing.

Only 6% of Brits have antibodies and they don't last long

Government report that says only 20% of people are self isolating correctly.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/callummay/status/1306947060227334145

Did Magna Carta die in vain?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

winegums posted:

https://twitter.com/ShaunLintern/status/1307020722250878988

At this juncture I can only assume we're going for mass murder. Looking forward to "excess COVID attendances to hospital" plus "winter pressures" plus "half the staff off waiting on testing via inadequate services" all aligning and killing off a good 3% of the population.

One weird trick to reduce the money you will have to spend on NHS wage increases when they next ask for it!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I have looked up where dartford is and have come to the conclusion that I might need more than one bridging tank. And possibly a longer than normal punt.

My previous assumption that the river was basically just like the upper tees and that nobody had bothered to build a bridge over it may have been in error.

I also wish to lodge a complaint about dartford because it is located on the other side of the country from the river dart and I do not see where the ford is supposed to be located.

It was on the Darent, from the same Celtic root word (meaning "oak trees") as the Dart and Derwent.

Dartford is actually the furthest downstream on the Thames where punting actually is vaguely practical - it's very shallow and slow-flowing, and the tidal movement is much smaller than at points upstream. The Celts had a ferry there that was *probably* punted, and lightermen would use punts for heavy cargo loading and unloading on both sides of the river. You could probably do it at the Nore too (in terms of the estuary is still shallow enough to make a punt practical) but it's 4 miles wide at that point and besides what sane person would ever want to travel between Southend and the Medway?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OwlFancier posted:

Or, possibly, if I could buy an army surplus bridging tank.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

I can't imagine where this could be referring to, but we should be clear that it's not referring to all 350 inhabitants, but only the administration.

BalloonFish posted:

He had an unusual and staunch attitude to wealth - believing that hard work, innovation and improvement were in themselves noble endeavours and that the only purpose of becoming wealthy as a result of them was to improve the society that had provided him with his success. He was vehemently against use of foreign capital, believing that British cars should be made in British factories funded by British capital and built by British workers using materials and components sourced from British suppliers. He was also an ardent imperialist (in the sense of the colonies providing much of the raw materials for the cars which would then be exported back to the captive market). He was an autocratic paternalist who reflected his disdain for having to answer to investors and shareholders with a similar dislike of trade unions (he kept them out of all the Morris factories until after the General Strike) while also giving his employees some of the best free-at-point-of-use social services in the country and organising pioneering research into worker-focussed management and production techniques (formalising the 'radical' idea that if you treat your workers decently and give them actual agency over their work they do more of it and to a better quality) which culminated in his funding the world's first car plant to use Just In Time and Lean Production methods which was used as a model by Toyota and Nissan in the 1950s. He was also a strong supporter (to the tune of a £50,000 donation) of Mosley's New Party and its Keynesian/corporatist manifesto, although he would denounce Mosley once he slid into outright fascism.
Ah, the John Ruskin school.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

I can't imagine where this could be referring to, but we should be clear that it's not referring to all 350 inhabitants, but only the administration.

I can definitely imagine that you would have a lot of fun with that expansion :v:

Frostpunk is odd, it seems like it would be quite appealing but given I mostly play city builders for creativity, the rather monotone style of everything and the focus on disaster management puts me off. Narratively though it's pretty good I think.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

I'm honestly surprised he didn't bollock the barrister more.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I can definitely imagine that you would have a lot of fun with that expansion :v:

Frostpunk is odd, it seems like it would be quite appealing but given I mostly play city builders for creativity, the rather monotone style of everything and the focus on disaster management puts me off. Narratively though it's pretty good I think.
Yeah, I wouldn't even really call it a city builder, build wise it's about as flexible as the first Sim City, and running a healthy and productive municipality is about the furthest thing from it.

It's more like a project management simulation where you can also place buildings, but not as dull as that sounds because you can also play all the politics that come with project management except you're allowed to execute the engineers without getting in trouble with HR.

I really liked the plot of The Last Autumn, it's very ITT because after the big industrial incident in the first third, which resolves differently depending on your health and safety score, everyone is outraged and forces you to choose between the Engineers and the Labour Union, and if you pick the Engineers it starts off all reasonable, but quickly goes full fascist, so they obviously knew MechEng people :v:. It's also the easier mode because you can make everything illegal and force prisoners to work for scraps, but far less satisfying than the other option where it starts off all reasonable, but quickly goes full red banners and Northern accents and "Workers arise. All glory to the working class!" which is also reasonable.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah it feels like someone wanted to write an alt history late 19th century political thriller except they also bolted a game onto it. Someone on the writing team definitely has a massive boner for 150 year old politics.

E: speaking of videogames and politics.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 18, 2020

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

E: speaking of videogames and politics.

What does this average companies house listing have to do video games idgi

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

NotJustANumber99 posted:

The tolls on the Dartford crossings are one of the stupidest things about the UK road network.

TRUE but it is sort of accidently impressive as an art piece. It's the duality of modern existence, the bright sunlit bridge that lifts you above the very horizon one way and the dark tunnel where you just pray the queue ahead isn't a 4 axe lorry that read the sign wrong the other, but either way you know for sure that an app is automatically charging you for your brief presence there.

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't even really call it a city builder, build wise it's about as flexible as the first Sim City, and running a healthy and productive municipality is about the furthest thing from it.

It's more like a project management simulation where you can also place buildings, but not as dull as that sounds because you can also play all the politics that come with project management except you're allowed to execute the engineers without getting in trouble with HR.

Frostpunk is annoying, it looks like a really engaging game but my laptop just refuses to run it and begrudgingly using child labour or whatever seems like it won't really hit unless if it's you making the decision, watching a stream wouldn't work even though the narrative and aesthetics do seem awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020

Guavanaut posted:

Ah, the John Ruskin school.

Yes, but what did Nuffield think about pubic hair?