Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Not only was that ugly, but the housing would wind up with water in it anytime it rained. Sometimes submerging the brake/parking light bulbs, which would wind up shattering if they happened to be on/hot.

Out with the old.

In with the... older? Replacement is off of a 2002, mine's a 2003, but meh, they're the same. Gaskets on it were poo poo, gaskets on my original were in good enough shape to peel off and reuse. :stare: I was expecting to need to make gaskets.

Turned out there was a crack on the backside too, which is probably where most of the water was getting in - one of the captive bolts had broken out of the housing, right at the end, leaving a decent hole. :argh: You can see the remains of the backer for that captive bolt at the far right side of the tailgate in the 2nd pic. I didn't notice it until I tried to put the new assembly on.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Sep 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

More 90’s goodness on the Blazer - bug shield!

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Lovely!

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Imperador do Brasil posted:

That thing is 90's as gently caress, it's amazing.
I also like that you put the white letters out. Not enough people do that anymore. Hell, most shops gently caress up when you ask them for it.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

This is a Good Truck.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Oh yeah, I made my car slightly more uncomfortable this week. I installed rear subframe and diff urethane inserts. It might be placebo, but the rear end feels more attached to the body now.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Not all today, but over the last few/days:
- Bought a ratty S10 to be used for hauling poo poo while we renovate the family home.
- It does hesitate at mid throttle, but does fine if floored, so started by cleaning throttle body, TPS, MAF, EGR as well as the engine bay.
- Unfucked the PO's amp setup and all the wiring.
After all this the car ran better, but still had an exhaust leak (which sounded like proper poo poo)
So:
- Found the (pre-cat) at the Y-pipe bend on the right side. Patched it up using CRC exhaust putty and those bandage tapes. Fixed it, and seems like a solid fix for now. Worst case I have to drop $100 for a new pipe.
- Threw some fuel system cleaner, pretty concentrated, into the fuel tank in preparation for changing the fuel filter when it arrives.
At it stands now the truck runs much, much better. Almost no hesitation.

Still have to check codes (forgot my OBD2 reader) as well as am waiting for a stock used airbox to arrive so I can throw this dumb CAI in the trash and give the MAF another clean. The filter flops around, is greasy and has holes in it...

I'm trying to not get carried away, but this is surprisingly fun. I guess the next step is to see if the hesitation persists as well as read codes / data.
The PO did oil change and had a workshop do a transmission fluid change a couple of months ago, so should be fine there (although I need to check the level).
Rust-wise it's looking good. Only the leaf spring mounts are a bit crusty, so I might wirewheel those and put on some rust converter to nip it in the bud.
Might also rip out the interior for a good clean, and make sure all the rubber seals are clean and fitting as well as possible. Oh and ordered at door pin kit as well as the drivers door is sagging a bit.

All in all, fun time. I laugh my rear end off at this lovely but fun truck everytime I walk past it in the driveway.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

chrisgt posted:

That thing is 90's as gently caress, it's amazing.
I also like that you put the white letters out. Not enough people do that anymore. Hell, most shops gently caress up when you ask them for it.

I bought the truck with those tires on it. In fact when I got the truck, it had 4 new tires, new shocks, new muffler, new battery, and a new radiator. I bought it from the estate of someone in my good friend’s family and the guy had gotten all the work done to the truck, drove it home, then was in the hospital for months and died so it had like 50 miles on it in a year. The tires still had the rubber nipples on them.

Funny thing is I was going to buy black AR172 wheels for it and have the letters swapped to black to complete the red/black theme the truck has going. Maybe I’ll reconsider to keep it as 90’s as possible!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Funny thing is I was going to buy black AR172 wheels for it and have the letters swapped to black to complete the red/black theme the truck has going. Maybe I’ll reconsider to keep it as 90’s as possible!

Blacking out the wheels is a crime and BOY I disagree hard.

White letters out always and forever. No compromises.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Turns out someone wanted to buy the S2000 whole without parting it out so I washed it yesterday. He is headed my way from Texas with a trailer now.

Also, I drove this yesterday

1850lb, 275whp+, Hoosier A7s. It was p cool.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Hell yeah! Now you got room for a new car!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

BlackMK4 posted:

Also, I drove this yesterday

1850lb, 275whp+, Hoosier A7s. It was p cool.

Elise/Exige are stupid fun, I can't image what one on A7's with aero is like. They already go anywhere you want to put them so I guess the same just even faster?

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

KakerMix posted:

Blacking out the wheels is a crime and BOY I disagree hard.

White letters out always and forever. No compromises.

Whites out every time, to put them in is blasphemy!!
I'm bias, though. I put these on my metro...

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

Not my ride, but my step daughter's Vibe.
She was back up from college for the weekend and says she thought the brakes were making a grinding noise.
I checked the fronts and they were fine.
Then I got to the rears:

The outside pad on both rears looked like that.
Turns out there was enough corrosion that had built up under the pad clip on the caliper bracket the outside pads had seized.

The spark plugs were also a little crusty:

So replaced the spark plugs, rear brake rotors, and rear brake pads, cleaned off the caliper bracket removed the corrosion.
Also found the parking brake cables disconnected when I got there so reconnected those.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

First off-road mini adventure with the Big Red Blazer. The boy even got to drive it a bunch on some easy trails and he got the opportunity to test his skills through thick clay mud, small ponds, and a solid rock hill. Truck did great for being bone stock, the only issue we ran across was when the trunk-mounted spare wheel’s wing nut came a little loose.

Brown letters out!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

TheBacon posted:

Hell yeah! Now you got room for a new car!

Indeed, the Miata filled the spot already. Probably sell off my 07 Civic and move on to something that can dual duty tow as a daily driver too.
Probably a new Tacoma :v:

NitroSpazzz posted:

Elise/Exige are stupid fun, I can't image what one on A7's with aero is like. They already go anywhere you want to put them so I guess the same just even faster?
I'd never even sat in one before, there is so much more space than I ever imagined. Feels like you're getting into something built by an aircraft company with the fiberglass / exposed aluminum / etc.

Anyway, yeah, it is pretty ridiculous. My friend drove up to Utah Motorsports Campus last weekend to buy it and ended up running it in TT2. He won day one against a pretty overbuilt field, including some Corvette on non-DOTs with a driver that won a class in the 2020 Bathurst 12hr. He threw away a win with a spin on day two, finished second. It is a missile.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 19, 2020

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

A quick visit to the dealer for constant coolant loss turned into a water pump replacement under warranty. Here's hoping the new water pump isn't as hosed as the last one was. Explains why coolant was just vanishing from the reservoir overnight.

chrisgt posted:

Whites out every time, to put them in is blasphemy!!
I'm bias, though. I put these on my metro...

I'll never stop telling you how much I love this.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Sadly these grade A booger welds are an improvement from my last attempts.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That's more than just you duder. Your flux core wire is bad. Looks like the flux is soaked. That's why it's all explodey.

Try a new, sealed spool of decent quality wire.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
So I decided that I want to get rid of the gray poo poo roller job of a paint job that is currently on the S10, but I'm not going too crazy neither... so bought a paint gun, ordered some black Rust-oleum combicolor and started ripping everything apart. Not going to remove the bed for this, but today I removed all the seals and parts on the doors that can be removed without too much hassle. Everything is so drat simple to remove on this truck that I'm just breezing through it. While I'm at it I might as well remove the seats and carpet as well so give them a proper clean and address the small amount of flaking rust on the drive side footwell.
Then I'll clean all the trim bits as well as the seals (and coat the gently caress out of them with 303 aerospace protectant) before they go back in.

Tomorrow it's the last of the interior and the I'll pop the front fender and tailgate + rear lights off. Should be able to start sanding and doing body work after that.

Plan is to paint this weekend.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

It is the “better” quality Vulcan HF wire so will go grab some Lincoln Electric stuff from Home Depot and give it another go. Thanks for the input.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Today?

Today I swapped out this bullshit ebay glass hatch button for my n54'd e61 that died on me in 3 months.

Last weekend though, that's a different story.

I hit a crest in the road at a speed that was a little... fast, caught air, like, literal, Ferris Bueller's kinda Ferrari California joyride air, and, not only did I hyperextend my aftermarket axle,

which got grease loving EVERYWHERE, but this little motherfucker of a socket cap:

Punched a hole in this expensive motherfucker:

Because some jackass had the brilliant idea to put the retaining screw for a PS line bracket right at the low point of the oil pan.

One more for good measure:

Not even brand new OEM motor mounts were going to save me.

MOTHERFUCKER. Now what?

Fast forward a lot of creative language a day or three to psych myself up, and...
We get to here. Worlds jankiest engine support. (Thanks uncle Jim!)

And what looks like a yard sale, not only the subframe is on the grass there, so is the radiator fan and oil cooler.

But whatever, I got it out of the way.

Thankfully, I was only about two miles from home when it all started playing grabass, so I managed to get home and recover at least 4 of the 7 quarts of oil in the system, and that's after the puddle that wound up in my driveway.

And it looked pretty drat good in there considering this is an engine with almost 190k. So, yay?

... and the pan gasket was all kinds of cracked and leaking, so I'd've needed to do this at some point anyway.

But that would have been scheduled, and probably on a lift, and not on jackstands on a driveway that isn't even loving flat.

All told, it was four days of turning wrenches- saturday was 11-6, sunday was just swapping pans and torquing, monday was the replacing the subframe, and tuesday was all the axles, fluids and whatnot. Probably a dozen hours total. Honestly, it wasn't that bad. The bigger challenge was taking pics, making mental notes and keeping my head in the game.

OH, but once it was together, my right side LCA was, uh, not straight.

So I went to the local pick and pull wednesday to get one to tide me over while shaking it all down. $10 and more time spent driving there and back and I was back on the road.

Oh yeah, DEFINITELY something hosed there.

300 miles in and a few rips to triple digit speeds and it seems good to go. Could probably use an alignment. I should probably make a thread for this car, but I'm actually afraid to work back all the poo poo I've done in the year I've had it on the road.

glyph fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Sep 21, 2020

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

glyph posted:

I hit a crest in the road at a speed that was a little... fast, caught air, like, literal, Ferris Bueller's kinda Ferrari California joyride air, and, not only did I hyperextend my aftermarket axle,

300 miles in and a few rips to triple digit speeds and it seems good to go. Could probably use an alignment.

Dude, what the gently caress

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

BigPaddy posted:

Sadly these grade A booger welds are an improvement from my last attempts.

Are you running DCEN (electrode negative) for that flux core?
You want your "ground" clamp hooked up to positive and your gun hooked up to negative.
Those results almost looks like what you get with the wrong polarity.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Krakkles posted:

Dude, what the gently caress

:same:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Air? I’m catching it
Axles, arms, pans? I’m smashing them
Laws, made for breaking

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Country roads, take me home.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

This was a couple weeks ago, but I've been negligent in posting.
I had "fixed" the 4Runner's crappy exhaust job by using butt clamps. Those held, kind of, until we went on a two track, hit a bump and they fell completely apart.

It was only ever intended as a stop gap anyway, but I finally got to my girlfriend's dad's barn for my introductory lesson to MIG welding.

We were able to put it back together and you can actually hear yourself think and not get totally asphyxiated now.

So here are my first ever welds:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

If it seals it's good, welding on anything other than clean metal is a loving nightmare and definitely not the kind of thing you want to be learning on.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

chrisgt posted:

You want your "ground" clamp hooked up to positive and your gun hooked up to negative.

Ohhhhh nice call. It very much could be that also. I totally didn't even think of that and likely wouldn't have because my welders have been set up forever.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

glyph posted:

Country roads, take me home.

To the plaaaaace I beloooonng
HAZZZZZARD COUNTYYYYYYY leakin oil
Country roads, take me home

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

chrisgt posted:

I will check, not sure if the gun and clamp have the same connectors.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BigPaddy posted:

I will check, not sure if the gun and clamp have the same connectors.

They don't have the same connectors (that would be basically impossible with a wire feed machine). Swapping is typically done inside. Here's mine. Black cable is my "ground" clamp, which you can see is on the positive pole because this is my flux core box.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Removed the hood. Decided that removing the fenders on an S10 is too much hassle for a rust-oleum paint job. Broke a $27 torx bit trying to get the passenger seat bolt out. Slow day of work today. At least I fixed the surface rust in the drivers footwell by grinding and soaking on Bilt Hamber Rust converter.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Mine is a HF $200 fluxcore only machine and there is nothing external to change the polarity.

If I take the side off you can see the clamp is grounded and the gun goes into the PCB

So not sure if the real answer here is to get a real welder :v:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BigPaddy posted:

Mine is a HF $200 fluxcore only machine and there is nothing external to change the polarity.

If its flux core only it's probably set correctly. See what some fresh sealed wire does for you.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I replaced the battery in my key fob today. For my next trick I'm researching how to do brake pads for the first time in my life.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I bought a 2007 Prius last week. I took it to a shop today to basically get a PPI done. I'm mainly interested in the condition of the battery and the other hybrid stuff that I don't know anything about. It was nice of them to do it I guess, but they decided they needed to explain to me that I should have had this done before I bought the car. No poo poo? It was a $5500 low mileage Prius that was in good shape and there were apparently 10+ other people that wanted the car in less than a day of it being posted on craigslist. The seller would have laughed at me and gone to the next person if I'd tried to get an actual PPI done.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Protip: when they say they have <x number> interested, they really mean they have nobody else interested and they're just trying to make you jump on it.

$5500 is high for an 07 Prius, but if the battery pack and AC are in good shape (along with the loving brake accumulator, I think they finally put out a recall on that loving thing, but it depends on year model), then you have a solid car that'll last 10-20 years with basic maintenance (and probably a battery pack replacement - go aftermarket, do not go to the dealer, it's a 4 figure difference in cost).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

STR posted:

Protip: when they say they have <x number> interested, they really mean they have nobody else interested and they're just trying to make you jump on it.

$5500 is high for an 07 Prius, but if the battery pack and AC are in good shape (along with the loving brake accumulator, I think they finally put out a recall on that loving thing, but it depends on year model), then you have a solid car that'll last 10-20 years with basic maintenance (and probably a battery pack replacement - go aftermarket, do not go to the dealer, it's a 4 figure difference in cost).

No, I'd already told them I wanted the car. When I picked it up they told me they had at least 10 people waiting on me to not buy it. I drove the car on a Saturday night. I told them I wanted it Sunday morning. They got at least 2 other offers to buy it Sunday morning but nobody had the cash on hand and the banks were all closed or someone else would have gotten it. They almost didn't wait for me to get off work on Monday to pick it up. $5500 with the condition of the car is a really good deal where I'm at.

e: I saw several cars in worse condition with more miles sell for more money than I paid. I know the whole "I've got other buyers" thing and this wasn't one of those.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Sep 22, 2020