Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Question Mark Mound posted:

Now hunting through settings and force pressing various things to see if I can move apps to other drawer folders.

Not possible at this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Is it possible to reclassify an app’s folder in the App Drawer? I want to move Awful from “entertainment” to “social”

App drawer seems like a really half baked feature looking for a problem to solve. In an update that’s all about giving you options for your layout you’re stuck with it on, you’re stuck with its default grouping, and it’s going to change your home screen layout with space for the scroll dots unless you remove all your app icons beyond a single page. They should have provided an option to choose your layout like dark mode or zoom.

Hopefully more apps update soon since the Smart Stack as is is almost as useless as Siri suggestions overall. iOS 14 is pretty meh.

GoatSeeGuy fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 18, 2020

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah been using the betas for months and the only time I ever use the app drawer is to bring up most recently downloaded apps.. which previously just would appear in the order downloaded on a screen. So for my personal use, it really doesn't add anything to the table and feels like a 'we added it because Android people moaned for years' in the same vein as terrible alternate keyboards.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
App drawer is dumb for me and how I’ve used my iPhone - I keep apps in folders with groupings and names that make sense to me. Having this “intelligent” auto-grouping that is only slightly intelligent is like taking a bunch of steps backwards. I can see it being maybe useful for people who don’t keep their apps organized but for those of us that do, I don’t see the value.

Also, I wanted to get excited about smart stacks and widgets but with limited app content it just feels that two apps can take the screen space as 4 apps now or a bunch of Apple apps I never use can take up 2 rows of space. Yay?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

How do I get Apple News to stop showing Fox News in Trending? I’m certainly not following them.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

You stop using the garbage Apple News for starters.

I hate it so much.

Valen
Oct 1, 2009

Fallom posted:

How do I get Apple News to stop showing Fox News in Trending? I’m certainly not following them.

I think you have to specifically block the channel. Tap on a story then on the logo at the top and you can block it there. Then remember to remove the entry from your history because I’m sure that will taint recommendations too.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Thanks!

I’m not necessarily interested in using the News app much, but I kinda dig the widget when it’s not showing me hate speech.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Valen posted:

I think you have to specifically block the channel. Tap on a story then on the logo at the top and you can block it there. Then remember to remove the entry from your history because I’m sure that will taint recommendations too.

It doesn’t remove sources from widgets, unless that’s changed in iOS 14. It just removed Fox from inside the app itself.

It sucks but it works well enough for notifications with breaking news (like one I just got right now:geno:).

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ugh

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I’m pretty sure I’ve had channels I’ve blocked still show up in the Top Stories section. Apple News is dreadful at working out what I actually want to read, no matter how many times I actually try to curate it and tell it what to suggest.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Apple News is dreadful at working out what I actually want to read, no matter how many times I actually try to curate it and tell it what to suggest.

I thought I was the only one getting lovely suggestions. Not just for News thought, Music, Apps, Siri suggestions, you name it- they all suck.

Just today it showed me a bunch of coworkers as suggested GameCenter contacts? gently caress that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think they're all kinda poo poo, I spent like a year on google news telling it to stop giving me stories about megan markle and it never gave up. I also tried to train it to give me more stories about hockey and less about baseball and basketball, it was futile.

I guess on the upside you can blacklist a news source and it actually does it but once the algorithm decides you need to know about something there ain't no changing its mind.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Braincloud posted:

App drawer is dumb for me and how I’ve used my iPhone - I keep apps in folders with groupings and names that make sense to me. Having this “intelligent” auto-grouping that is only slightly intelligent is like taking a bunch of steps backwards. I can see it being maybe useful for people who don’t keep their apps organized but for those of us that do, I don’t see the value.

If you don't see value in the feature then why not ignore it? It makes a lot of sense to me because most iOS users definitely don't organise anything.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

xzzy posted:

I think they're all kinda poo poo, I spent like a year on google news telling it to stop giving me stories about megan markle and it never gave up. I also tried to train it to give me more stories about hockey and less about baseball and basketball, it was futile.

I guess on the upside you can blacklist a news source and it actually does it but once the algorithm decides you need to know about something there ain't no changing its mind.

I've found the AP news app knows exactly what the threshold is for "no, really, this is important news you should know right now" and disabled news notifications on everything except that one.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

dissss posted:

If you don't see value in the feature then why not ignore it? It makes a lot of sense to me because most iOS users definitely don't organise anything.

I don’t even understand how it works? Like is scroll to the last page of my apps and then they are all there grouped up? Seems weird.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

dissss posted:

Taking our ability to easily organize things in iTunes was so drat cruel. Luckily I did mine ages ago so it’s not a big deal to update periodically.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

XBenedict posted:

Are you looking in the iOS settings for outlook, or in Outlooks app settings?

For Spark it’s in the iOS settings.

I had to update the Outlook app as well- I thought that had already happened.

So glad to have the mail app out of my life!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
two days and the Music widget still hasn't updated what it shows, which is loving annoying, since it will only link to those albums unless I use the actual app icon.

:cmon:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Is there anything widgets are doing that I can’t just ask Siri about? For me I always find widgets mildly interesting to play with in other platforms but ultimately not that useful. Like, music / audio apps already have a widget of sorts on the lock screen, weather widgets always sound good but I delete them because I don’t actually need a five-day forecast staring me in the face 100 times a day, etc. They’re often pretty, which is reason enough if you want to play with them, imo, but they never actually make using my phone quicker or better or anything.

I’m open though if y’all have some ridiculous widgets.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i made a stack of fotmob widgets so i can quickly swipe through and see when clubs i like are playing next. pretty neat. that’s about it

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Some weather widgets show forecast by hour instead of day by day.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
They show you information at a glance without having to open the app. That’s all really

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

mediaphage posted:

Is there anything widgets are doing that I can’t just ask Siri about? For me I always find widgets mildly interesting to play with in other platforms but ultimately not that useful. Like, music / audio apps already have a widget of sorts on the lock screen, weather widgets always sound good but I delete them because I don’t actually need a five-day forecast staring me in the face 100 times a day, etc. They’re often pretty, which is reason enough if you want to play with them, imo, but they never actually make using my phone quicker or better or anything.

I’m open though if y’all have some ridiculous widgets.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

cute

what is that third one even for?

also how many times does your phone tell you the battery life and time and date at the same time

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

I switched over to iPhone a little over a year ago after being on android before that. I’ll never go back and really enjoy my XR, but one thing I really miss on the Android was the ability to dismiss an upcoming alarm. For instance, if I wake up early and look at the Lock Screen, it would show upcoming alarms (in the next hour or so?) and give you the ability to quickly press dismiss so the alarm wouldn’t sound for today.

It was a really nice feature but I don’t see anything like that in iOS. Am I wrong? Or does 14 have any changes? I haven’t really dug into the new sleep alarms and whatnot

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Some weather widgets show forecast by hour instead of day by day.

The default weather widget shows hour by hour when displayed in the medium (?) size, and when it is raining or about to rain it switches to a cool little chart with amount of rain expected and how long until it stops.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

WarMECH posted:

The default weather widget shows hour by hour when displayed in the medium (?) size, and when it is raining or about to rain it switches to a cool little chart with amount of rain expected and how long until it stops.

Oh so that's where the Dark Sky acquisition went.

Anyone know if the percip chart is US-only? I don't recall if it was Apple themselves or blogs that said those Dark Sky features would be US-only.

I currently use CARROT weather for Dark Sky in the widget but that won't work when Dark Sky's API is sunset. Thankfully CARROT has other API partners to choose from but I really like Dark Sky's percip prediction (and it's usually bang-on here in Toronto at least).

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Fireside Nut posted:

I switched over to iPhone a little over a year ago after being on android before that. I’ll never go back and really enjoy my XR, but one thing I really miss on the Android was the ability to dismiss an upcoming alarm. For instance, if I wake up early and look at the Lock Screen, it would show upcoming alarms (in the next hour or so?) and give you the ability to quickly press dismiss so the alarm wouldn’t sound for today.

It was a really nice feature but I don’t see anything like that in iOS. Am I wrong? Or does 14 have any changes? I haven’t really dug into the new sleep alarms and whatnot

I’d love this too. Sometimes I feel like the only person on the planet that usually wakes up early before my alarm does off instead of needing a dozen different alarms to get out of bed. I used that early dismiss feature all of the time.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
I wish there was a way to toggle off display names of apps and widgets. If I have a big calendar widget that is pretty obvious what it is without the word "Calendar" below it taking up space. The apps in the dock don't show names and it gives a much cleaner appearance.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

mediaphage posted:

cute

what is that third one even for?

also how many times does your phone tell you the battery life and time and date at the same time

It was just a shitpost but the “3rd” one is just an empty home bar with the Awful app.

Fireside Nut posted:

If you use the bedtime feature then you can do that. My alarm is set for 6 but I wake up a little bit before that. On the Lock Screen there’s now an option to disable the alarm for the day that I’m pretty sure is new to iOS 14.

WarMECH posted:

Towards the end of the day the medium widget starts telling you the forecast for the next day too, which is a nice touch.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Fireside Nut posted:

can’t you just tell siri to turn them off?

Boris Galerkin posted:

It was just a shitpost but the “3rd” one is just an empty home bar with the Awful app.

If you use the bedtime feature then you can do that. My alarm is set for 6 but I wake up a little bit before that. On the Lock Screen there’s now an option to disable the alarm for the day that I’m pretty sure is new to iOS 14.

Towards the end of the day the medium widget starts telling you the forecast for the next day too, which is a nice touch.

i figured. i wondered about the 5 in re forums, but it never occurred to me to think about the awful app

since i brought up siri and weather, just in case some don’t know, you can ask other weather questions to tune the response a little. like, you can ask about rain / snow / etc., obviously. if you ask about a general weather question, it’ll respond with the hourly forecast for today, but if you explicitly ask for a weekly forecast, it’ll respond instead with a full discrete daily outlook.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Sep 19, 2020

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Really feel like widgets would be improved a lot by having a 2x1 sized one for small data like step counts.

Also, apparently you don’t get the step count widget without having an Apple Watch despite the Health app already doing this on-device?!

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Also, apparently you don’t get the step count widget without having an Apple Watch despite the Health app already doing this on-device?!

I have an Apple Watch and I don't have a step count widget that I can find.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Thanks Tim.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Zerot posted:

I have an Apple Watch and I don't have a step count widget that I can find.
Is there a “fitness” app on your phone that ties into watch data? You have to open an app up first before it’ll become an available widget.

I only read patch notes for the apps I care about so there’s probably like a dozen apps I have installed with widgets I have no idea about.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

yeah, you have to buy a watch to unlock a lot of the health/fitness tracking stuff on your phone, probably including that widget. The phone works as a pedometer without a watch but it won't give you goals, etc.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Is there a “fitness” app on your phone that ties into watch data? You have to open an app up first before it’ll become an available widget.

I only read patch notes for the apps I care about so there’s probably like a dozen apps I have installed with widgets I have no idea about.

I have the Fitness widget but not a steps counter. It just shows activity.

I'd love a steps count widget but unless it was added in Watch OS7 they don't even offer a complication for the Apple Watch. I use a third-party app for that.

Zerot fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 19, 2020

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Yeah, what step count widget?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Oh sorry, there isn’t a widget but if you go into the health app without a watch it’ll give you a daily count