Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

sebmojo posted:

yessss hypercatholics and i suspect a lot of gay coding, I used to love these.

Katherine Kerr’s name reminded me of Katherine Kurtz. What are the scorching hot takes on the Deryni books?

I only ever read The Harrowing of Gwynedd- why that one I couldn’t tell you, but I thought was extremely dumb at the time. I’ve since wondered if maybe I should at least take a look at the original trilogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

sebmojo posted:

yessss hypercatholics and i suspect a lot of gay coding, I used to love these.

I'm not sure if her earlier Silver Dagger books belong in this thread (I remember loving them but also being put off by some hosed up poo poo but I'm not sure if it's well handled hosed up poo poo or just an author being weird), but I'm fairly sure everything after Rhodry becomes a dragon does.

Actually same qualifier for Sheri S Tepper's True Game. I remember enjoying that and it's sequel trilogies but also it having hosed up stuff that may be worse than I remember.

Might be time for a reread but hey fantasy recs.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

there wolf posted:

We're a little past it, but I liked Kingkiller Chronicles, and when people talk about what a perfect Mary Sue Kvothe is it always sounds like when people say Nabakov is total pedo for what Humbert Humbert is thinking. (a little loaded, but it's the most popular example of an unreliable narrator.) The setup is the story of a legendary figure, being collected by someone inherent skeptical of everything attributed to the hero and I think book one does a good job of balancing that, but then two kind of falls apart. Like the story about being a shy virgin until he gets picked up by a sex fairy that he then has to trick is classic tall-tale garbage, but then it gets tied to a real need to acquire something from the fairy realm so you can't just dismiss the entire event as horseshit.

The problem is that Nabokov has a level of self-awareness and wisdom that allows him to create deeply pathological characters. I thought Rothfuss was doing the same thing at first, but the more I read, the less I felt like I was reading someone writing about a toxic shithead adolescent and more like I was reading a book by a shithead adolescent.

Ohthehugemanatee fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 18, 2020

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

ChubbyChecker posted:

blame tolkien

Tolkien wanted the whole Lord of the Rings series to be in one book. Blame his publisher and possibly the postwar paper shortage.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Black August posted:

Speakin' of that
You know what I hate in retrospect?
Yeah, you know what I'm gonna say

To Fuckin' Green Angel Tower

i'm certain that i've read that trilogy but i can't actually remember a thing about it.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Xenocides posted:

Tolkien wanted the whole Lord of the Rings series to be in one book. Blame his publisher and possibly the postwar paper shortage.

hah, did he want to have one giant book, or did he want to cut it shorter?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I have a copy of all three LOTR books in one volume, and it's actually substantially smaller than your average Sanderson-grade doorstopper.

I mean I realise I am being arbitrary, but if you think your epic fantasy book genuinely needs to be longer than Tolkein then sit the gently caress down who the gently caress are you.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
The problem is, Map Fantasy wiriters want to have the Lord of the Rings AND the Silmarrillion all in 3+ volumes. Tolien at least shoved all his boring-rear end worldbuilding and 100 million named characters in one book. (I've always wanted a "good parts" version of the Silmarillion; keep the interesting stories, leave off the "and then there were Flewasdfwdur and Flafsgdnwe and Flimbhgjfgatul, the sons of Araasdgdfgwe, and Gyrafdfs the daughter of Wuterofsdfsa, and (insert an entire page full of fake-Gaelic names, none of which will come up again)."

I liked Name of the Wind because Kvothe is a brilliant dumbass (and an unreliable narrator), but The Wise Man's Fear was a bloated mess. And now that there's never going to be a third, I find myself wondering if I should bother to keep the first two.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Black August posted:

Thanks for the detailed response. I've been writing for years, but I've only now felt comfortable having developed a catalogue of ideas and a style I want to try to turn into a great number of short stories, serials, and written novels. My primary genres I like to play with are horror, modern day weird/fantastical/sci-fish, various kinds of fantasy (mostly petty takedowns of the genre), and stuff that explores a variety of current social issues as well as themes of spirituality/divinity.

I guess for credentials I'm barely comfortable sharing, I was the one who shat out the Backrooms idea, and I uh... did some popular stuff for Homestuck.

I'll skip Patreon then. My goals are to make all my ideas hit paper as stories or something else, challenge my writing and my discipline further, and last of all, to make some side-scratch off of it. I don't want to do it as a primary living unless I really take off, because I don't want my #1 hobby to be my job. I don't care how my work gets seen, but I want it to be seen, and think I should try to work with the web as a medium as much as seek physical books on shelves. I don't care how long I have to write to get attention, I've already written plenty and am patient, and already KNOW I can get eyes when I put in the effort.

Now, I can easily write garbage as a side thing to keep the hands sharp and to make scratch from the discard ideas. You're saying the idea is to use Amazon for the legit writing, Kindle Unlimited for slush trash fantasy stuff that's popular right now (and smut), and probably a website for general writing scraps to help cultivate interest and presence? And Patreon is more a down-road thing that comes when you're actually a big enough name that you decide to go "Ok here's bonus/upcoming/other stuff locked behind a Patreon if you like my stuff and want to help out"

No problem. When I started putting my work online, no one had really interrogated a lot of the feasibility of doing it, so, I'm just giving out a perspective I wish I'd had access to. All of the advice that got passed around came from people like Wildbow who, when you examine it like a history, was operating with a different context and one very lucky event that shot him upward. It's actually a very cutthroat world. Which, of course, came from the drive to monetize it. A lot of writers unfortunately see it as something where if you boost someone else, you're just risking taking money away from your own pockets. And that's kinda true, because the audience is really quite small.

Amazon is tough. Honestly, I'm not sure there's a real space on Amazon for legit 'independent' writing. If you check out any genre and run through the Top 50, for example, you're going to run into heaps and heaps of those garbage genres I mentioned just shoved under every tag and classification they can get away with. The way Amazon works, from gaming algorithms to the fifty-review thing, makes discoverability really hard. I've been trying to find someone who's gone the indie route on Amazon and been able to make it work without writing vaguely copyright-infringing harem LitRPG monster girl erotica and haven't had much luck so far. Most online writers I know are seeking traditional publication, and the ones who are good tend to get it.

But overall, yes, that's about the long and short of it. Amazon for the more legit releases, KU for anything trashy that might build an audience just by existing, and a website to cultivate a presence. It's not dissimilar to my plan going forward when I finish this manuscript.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

Katherine Kerr’s name reminded me of Katherine Kurtz. What are the scorching hot takes on the Deryni books?

I only ever read The Harrowing of Gwynedd- why that one I couldn’t tell you, but I thought was extremely dumb at the time. I’ve since wondered if maybe I should at least take a look at the original trilogy.

oh - wait. that's who i was thinking of, katherine kurtz and the deryni books, sorry i'm a dumbass. i loved those, not sure how well they stand up - probably fairly well, the writing in those 70s fantasy books was often a fair bit better than in the extruded fantasy product doorstoppers.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Mentioning of King Arthur books reminded me of those that did a historical King Arthur and were incredibly boring. Oh just everyone standing around talking and talking and talking, and then something mundane happens and you go "oh wait that's Gowain and the Green Knight".

Plus the writer had this theory about why it was called Excalibur because he thought that no one made swords in England after the Romans and so swords were magical and they were cast, which they weren't.

I don't remember the name of the writer but I do remember his book about Uther was called Flight of Eagles and again, just booooooooring dialog between boring characters. Oh the sword in the stone was actually because he saw a crack in a stone and shoved the blade in there! Also don't forget to go to the Thinking Rock every 3rd page.

These writers making historical fantasy can't seem think people who want to read about a realistic version of mythic figures just want a dry work where every fantastical deed is actually some boring thing that got embellished. Sisgmund didn't slay a dragon, he actually stepped on a snake!

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

twistedmentat posted:

Mentioning of King Arthur books reminded me of those that did a historical King Arthur and were incredibly boring. Oh just everyone standing around talking and talking and talking, and then something mundane happens and you go "oh wait that's Gowain and the Green Knight".

Plus the writer had this theory about why it was called Excalibur because he thought that no one made swords in England after the Romans and so swords were magical and they were cast, which they weren't.

I don't remember the name of the writer but I do remember his book about Uther was called Flight of Eagles and again, just booooooooring dialog between boring characters. Oh the sword in the stone was actually because he saw a crack in a stone and shoved the blade in there! Also don't forget to go to the Thinking Rock every 3rd page.

These writers making historical fantasy can't seem think people who want to read about a realistic version of mythic figures just want a dry work where every fantastical deed is actually some boring thing that got embellished. Sisgmund didn't slay a dragon, he actually stepped on a snake!

Wouldn’t that be historical fantasy’s considerably less fantastical cousin, historical fiction?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

Wouldn’t that be historical fantasy’s considerably less fantastical cousin, historical fiction?

Oh yea I guess that's more appropriate.

Historical Fantasy would be like, The French Revolution being about the the French throwing off their Vampire masters.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Inverted Icon posted:

Bingtown can be a slog (Ship of X , Dragon X). Stay in the Six Duchies (Assassins X , Fools X, maybe X Fate)

I'd argue that Fitz' inner monologue can be a slog too, especially in the earlier books. But I'm usually pretty tolerant of slow stories.

That reminds me, what about that other series of hers, the Soldier Son trilogy? It's been years since I read it, but that had some really weird stuff to it and seemed almost like a feeder fetish story from what I remember. Mystic native sorcerors who consumed their own body's energy when using magic, so in peaceful times they had to bulk up as much as possible. There were definitely sex scenes with loving descriptions of belly fat.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
I enjoyed the Broken Earth trilogy by N. K. Jemisin recently. It wrapped up nicely, and I think she was the first African American to win the Hugo award for best novel with the first one “The Fifth Season”.

It shouldn’t be mentioned in this thread, but I saw other people giving recommendations

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

poisonpill posted:

Actually good fantasy:
Ffalfnir and Grey Mouser
Dying Earth
Nine Princes in Amber
Conan
Elric

Very very bad:
Kingkiller Chronicles
Terry Goodkind rip

Everything else is just various levels of mediocre carbon copies of Lord of the Rings.

It's Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser, and Fritz Leiber was an awesome writer. I'd recommend those.
Amber is Roger Zelazny, and he was also an awesome writer. Even his weaker stuff was decent, and his good stuff was very, very good.

Michael Moorcock I've always found uneven, and I haven't read that much Elric stuff.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

there wolf posted:

We're a little past it, but I liked Kingkiller Chronicles, and when people talk about what a perfect Mary Sue Kvothe is it always sounds like when people say Nabakov is total pedo for what Humbert Humbert is thinking. (a little loaded, but it's the most popular example of an unreliable narrator.) The setup is the story of a legendary figure, being collected by someone inherent skeptical of everything attributed to the hero and I think book one does a good job of balancing that, but then two kind of falls apart. Like the story about being a shy virgin until he gets picked up by a sex fairy that he then has to trick is classic tall-tale garbage, but then it gets tied to a real need to acquire something from the fairy realm so you can't just dismiss the entire event as horseshit.
That's how the series was sold to me, and I didn't hate the first book, but the eroded all my faith in the author.

BotL is generally reviled, but I do have to thank them for introducing me to Umberto Doc's Baudolino, which sold everything The Name of the Wind advertised.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hobb focuses a little too much on repeatedly punching her characters in the dick for my tastes. like, i enjoyed most of her books that i read well enough but the idea of going back for a reread just seems exhausting.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Good fantasy novels: Iain M Bank's 'Inversions'

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

ChubbyChecker posted:

hah, did he want to have one giant book, or did he want to cut it shorter?

One big book. Tolkien originally wanted the Lord of the Rings fantasy world to be a shared created mythology for England which did not really have a surviving mythology outside of King Arthur which he did not think was as good as the stuff he liked (Norse mythology). He hoped that he and his friends would jointly create a shared mythology and people would add stories. He realized later it was naive plus Tolkien was a little obsessed with accuracy and consistency. Letting others play in the universe would probably have driven him nuts. He didn’t like the world of Narnia because he felt Lewis just grabbed every mythology and threw them all together in a mishmash instead of making it work together as a whole.

As the novel was worked on it also became more of a chance to play with linguistics, especially in the beginning. Fellowship has a lot of the poetry.

Tolkien started work on a sequel to Lord of the Rings but the only surviving piece we have is only 9 pages and ends on a cliffhanger. He gave it up as he thought the story was over and he was pessimistic about how the Fourth Age would go. He expected Aragon’s joint kingdom to start to degenerate after Aragorn’s death, cults would form venerating Sauron’s evil, and it would be bad. It was set about a century after the original and follows Beregond’s son in the bit we have and he is concerned a friend has gotten involved in a Sauronic cult. That is about it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he was right about how lame arthurian legend is, at least.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The lord of the rings is 6 books.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

It has been a while since I've read them but doesn't the last Merlin book kind of leave things unresolved?

I bought that huge tome with all 10 Amber books and as I was nearing the end I kept thinking "How is he possibly going to wrap this up in 50, 20, 10, etc pages." Then in the last couple pages the writing suddenly changes and he rushes through a handful of immediate plot points and the series is over. It was super disappointing.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
I'll second Robin Hobb - the stuff of hers that I found the worst quality is still well above average. She's basically the reason I read fantasy after I finished high school. For my last year I thought I was done with the genre and happened to read Assassin's Apprentice in my first year of Uni on a mate's recommendation.

But NK Jemison is good and people should try China Mievelle's Bas-Lag books (all standalone but in the same setting).

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Empty Sandwich posted:

the Moorcock Elric stuff is pretty grim, isn't it? I only read a couple, but I liked them. it's been a long time, though.

Has the most metal ending in all of fantasy

gently caress i love some Moorcock

Barudak
May 7, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

he was right about how lame arthurian legend is, at least.

You take that back about England's most famous hot guys hugging and kissing each other because they miss each other so much sword and sorcery epics.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Gideon the Ninth is marketed pretty... shakily, though. Should've emphasized the cookie-cutter YA elements and not the cool elements that barely feature. But it's not really an 'old ruins and dungeon' story. It's like Homestuck + Warhammer 40k + Twitter memes.

Oh, hey, something I can contribute to.

I wrote three novels worth of web serial over two years. It got a lot of positive reviews, readership numbers that beat pretty much every web serial that wasn't by one of the really established people, #1 for a few weeks on TopWebFiction's overall rankings, and so on. I even spoke to some publishers about it, and I'm now in the process of rewriting it into a format that's more a trilogy of self-contained novels than a meandering, sprawling serial.

All in all, it earned me about sixty bucks over the year I had a Patreon up.

Don't go the Patreon route. The biggest difficulty with online fiction you're going to have is getting people to even read your stuff in the first place. It seems counter-intuitive, but people are more willing to pay 4.99 for something bad on Amazon than take a punt on something that's free. Paywalling via Patreon is therefore extremely counter-productive. The online writers who make decent money on Patreon either have years of work ethic behind them and a once-in-a-lifetime fanbase (Wildbow) or they're playing to market and offering up to, like, fifty chapters ahead via tier benefits. Some of the personalities may, in fact, be more than one person.

Realistically, your options are to:

a. Play to the online fiction market. That means LitRPGs, xianxia, isekai, harem, Omegaverse, erotica, anime elves, with dragons, etc. whatever garbage that idiots pay money for even when they admit it is garbage. In that case, you might as well skip Patreon and go right to Kindle Unlimited.

b. Sack up and focus on writing something good and go through the traditional model.

More to the point, the online fiction ecosystem isn't nearly as healthy as it was a few years ago. It was decaying when I entered it and I'd argue it's basically dead now. The biggest site for connecting people to indie online fiction (WebFictionGuide) is closing down. The only sites left are places like RoyalRoad (LitRPGs, etc - big money if you play to the market and get lucky) or Wattpad (romance, etc) that have really specific tastes. I've had publishers tell me that they won't consider stories that have been listed on big sites, and Wattpad was mentioned specifically. So, that's something else to consider.

I've seen too many talented writers decide that they'll put their fiction online and get four or five chapters in before realizing that literally no one is reading it and just burn out. The question is, really, what are your goals? To get people to read your stuff? To make a living off it? To make the jump to traditional publishing? To just build a work ethic? Once you have that answer, you can figure out which route you should take.

Anyway, yes, I'll take a large fries.

And why is it that all these bad fantasy books have protagonists whose names start with K?

Tepidly doing the querying thing on a novel i sweated on (isekai i guess but super weird) but feeling like id rather just write another one thats already super marketable. Trying to see how.quickly I can write a 55k YA that takes place in a prep school for gifted youngsters. But since Im writing it, I'm stuffing alot of my criticisms of the CIA in it so far.

Whats the easiest poo poo to make money off anyway? Its a fun writing exercise and it'll be interesting to see if I can do it (before i gently caress off bc of boredom).

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

The original stuff is great, but I wouldn't bother with any Elric written later than the 70's though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Deptfordx posted:

The original stuff is great, but I wouldn't bother with any Elric written later than the 70's though.

so what, the first 6 books or so?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

elrics were written for magazines, so when you read them in book form, they have too many cliffhangers

but if you're into sword&sorcery, they're decent

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Xenocides posted:

One big book. Tolkien originally wanted the Lord of the Rings fantasy world to be a shared created mythology for England which did not really have a surviving mythology outside of King Arthur which he did not think was as good as the stuff he liked (Norse mythology). He hoped that he and his friends would jointly create a shared mythology and people would add stories. He realized later it was naive plus Tolkien was a little obsessed with accuracy and consistency. Letting others play in the universe would probably have driven him nuts. He didn’t like the world of Narnia because he felt Lewis just grabbed every mythology and threw them all together in a mishmash instead of making it work together as a whole.

As the novel was worked on it also became more of a chance to play with linguistics, especially in the beginning. Fellowship has a lot of the poetry.

Tolkien started work on a sequel to Lord of the Rings but the only surviving piece we have is only 9 pages and ends on a cliffhanger. He gave it up as he thought the story was over and he was pessimistic about how the Fourth Age would go. He expected Aragon’s joint kingdom to start to degenerate after Aragorn’s death, cults would form venerating Sauron’s evil, and it would be bad. It was set about a century after the original and follows Beregond’s son in the bit we have and he is concerned a friend has gotten involved in a Sauronic cult. That is about it.

yeah, iirc it resembled a detective story

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Cobalt-60 posted:

(I've always wanted a "good parts" version of the Silmarillion; keep the interesting stories, leave off the "and then there were Flewasdfwdur and Flafsgdnwe and Flimbhgjfgatul, the sons of Araasdgdfgwe, and Gyrafdfs the daughter of Wuterofsdfsa, and (insert an entire page full of fake-Gaelic names, none of which will come up again)."

Good news, this book exists! It's called The Silmarillion. People vastly overstate the amount of this sort of stuff in the Silmarillion. There's maybe two chapters of it, the part where they introduce the Valar and the part where they introduce all the main characters.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

so what, the first 6 books or so?

Yeah, the original stories in their collected volumes.

Edit: His Corum books are pretty good as well. Never liked Hawkmoon that much at the time, but you could give those a shot as well.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 19, 2020

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

I bought that huge tome with all 10 Amber books and as I was nearing the end I kept thinking "How is he possibly going to wrap this up in 50, 20, 10, etc pages." Then in the last couple pages the writing suddenly changes and he rushes through a handful of immediate plot points and the series is over. It was super disappointing.

probably fair, although he kinda left it open. I never got around to the stuff that came after (I think it was mostly ghostwritten?) I still have the giant book... in a box somewhere, probably.

but Zelazny was way more hit than miss, read that guy. there's definitely some blindspots in his work but he tends to just run with a great idea, make his point, and then get out. brevity being the soul of wit and all that.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Which Zelazneys are the best? I asked a little earlier but I don't think anyone saw.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Lord of light is great.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

But overall, yes, that's about the long and short of it. Amazon for the more legit releases, KU for anything trashy that might build an audience just by existing, and a website to cultivate a presence. It's not dissimilar to my plan going forward when I finish this manuscript.

Any experience or practical advice on the reality of the situation is valuable to me. I know the scene is decaying and changing year to year. So I should save my aces for publication, my trash for Kindle, and my smaller stuff for Amazon. Sounds like I got a lot of pen names to lock down.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Caesar Saladin posted:

Which Zelazneys are the best? I asked a little earlier but I don't think anyone saw.

A Night In the Lonesome October

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Deptfordx posted:

Lord of light is great.

Lord of Light is the only one I've read and I agree that its awesome. Super creative and weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Caesar Saladin posted:

The Doors of His Face, The Lamps of His Mouth is solid sci-fi Zelazny.