Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

e: with some reflection, i'd rather keep this to myself

QUEER FRASIER has issued a correction as of 20:07 on Feb 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I'm in my mid 30s and live with my parents to help take care of my mother who has late stage dementia. every day I wake up 5 hours before work to care for my mom, leave her with my sister to go to work (60 minutes each way [also my mom has a panic attack when I leave almost every day]), come home, put my mother to bed (I'm the only one who can get her to sleep most nights), and go to bed. on the weekends I get to sleep in a bit, but I spend all the rest of the day caring for my mother. it's been like this since January. I have friends but rarely talk to them because I have nothing to talk about besides my lovely life. I was trying to do online dating for a while but in six months only had one person seem interested, and I have nothing to offer anyway. even if I could leave my mom with my sister or father for a day on the weekend for a date I haven't been able to see anyone since March due to the roni. there is nothing in life that brings me joy and I wish I were dead, but can't abandon my responsibility to my family, so at least suicide is off the table for now

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Ice Phisherman posted:

In one of the dreams I dreamed about cops where I told them they were small and crooked, like their dicks.

This is rad.

e: and this is coming from someone whose dick is small and crooked

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I'm very alone and it sucks

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

here's my dog for anyone who wants to see him

mp4=(url)mp4 link(/url) dumbasssssss

Somebody has issued a correction as of 02:30 on Sep 19, 2020

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Burn Zone posted:

good dog

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

indigi posted:

I'm in my mid 30s and live with my parents to help take care of my mother who has late stage dementia. every day I wake up 5 hours before work to care for my mom, leave her with my sister to go to work (60 minutes each way [also my mom has a panic attack when I leave almost every day]), come home, put my mother to bed (I'm the only one who can get her to sleep most nights), and go to bed. on the weekends I get to sleep in a bit, but I spend all the rest of the day caring for my mother. it's been like this since January. I have friends but rarely talk to them because I have nothing to talk about besides my lovely life. I was trying to do online dating for a while but in six months only had one person seem interested, and I have nothing to offer anyway. even if I could leave my mom with my sister or father for a day on the weekend for a date I haven't been able to see anyone since March due to the roni. there is nothing in life that brings me joy and I wish I were dead, but can't abandon my responsibility to my family, so at least suicide is off the table for now
Have you considered attending an online support group for caregivers?

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
There is a poster with a picture of RBG on it at work that I was walking by today and thinking "I haven't heard about her in a bit, and I hope she manages to hold out for a few more years and be one of those tough bastards that takes a long time to go down." Now I get to spend my weekend digging down deeper into hopelessness. You think it's the lowest and then when it gets lower, you remember that rock bottom is something people tell themselves happened before they got their lives back together, but there isn't an upward climb. I shouldn't have been thinking earlier this week that 2017 was such a great time because there was still at least a sense of horror over impending doom rather than terror over active doom as well as horror over further impending doom. In 2025 and 2030 and 2076 and every year in between those and after those, for as long as I'm alive, I'll be looking back on now and thinking "How lucky you were back in 2020, how great it was when only COVID 19 was your problem instead of COVIDs 20-144, or whatever diseases or other horrible things there will be at least 144 of." And it's like I'm in loving opposite world because everyone I know is either somehow properly detached to the point where they could be put in camps themselves and not flinch, or they've got enough money to be set for life and they have nothing to lose under proper American fascism. I'm sick of feeling crazy for having normal reactions to poo poo that goes on around me, and I'm sick of being forced to only be able to gain pleasure at the thought of saying "I told you so" to people with faith in things, and I'm sick of having to count the days in between egregious fuckups on the part of the people that run the country I live in like it's some miracle when the amount of bad things that happened and haven't been fixed in the world has stayed the same instead of going up, and I'm sick of knowing that the only way to assert control over my life and stop bad things from happening is to die, which I can't. The fact that I'm a person who cares about people other than myself and, without trying, can think of evil ways to ensure that all the world is a suffering, writhing sea of flesh, which means that people who want that poo poo to happen can and have absolutely think of it, is going to kill me faster than I can. [NOBODY REPORT ME FOR WANTING TO HARM MYSELF. I'M NOT GOING TO DO IT, BUT I'LL BE GODDAMNED IF YOU CAN STOP ME FROM WANTING TO.] Everyone I know has this unassailable belief in the inevitability of Goodness and Justice, and they cite World War 2 and the 60s civil rights movements and Harry Potter, as if the first one didn't go down as it did because of the Nazis having fewer resources than the Allies (not the case now), or as if the second one actually did anything other than make White people feel good about themselves for fifty years, or as if the third one wasn't mass market fiction designed to push the happy buttons in our heads. I know exactly what's going to happen in the future, and if I'm somehow wrong about it, I won't believe it anyway until it happens, and it's not going to happen because see the first independent article in the sentence. I'm not skilled or smart or resourceful enough to get into a country that isn't drooling at the thought of going full China, and the only difference between Germany in the 40s and America right the gently caress now is that we've gotten way better at killing and oppressing to the point where the prevailing opinion in a century will be "Nothing unjust happened in the early 21st century" because the victors will rewrite history into us having it coming. And I definitely have it coming because I didn't immediately drive down to Texas and open fire on ICE when I heard the news earlier this week, because I looked at the moral imperative to not put up with that poo poo that people mindlessly say "never again" about, and I buried that moral imperative out of fear and hopelessness. Rome fell with graffiti on the walls about being positive and looking towards the future, and I want to poo poo in my father's Biden hat and wipe my rear end on the flyer he got from Kamala Harris asking to donate to the fetid, impotent Ds because if that's what gives you hope, you're either too dumb to respect or too successful in life to be relevant. I wish I had the stones to protest because then at least I could be righteously indignant as the drone strike killed me. Instead I get to watch 1984 and have people think I've got schizophrenia because I can type paragraphs this thick even though every sentence is some variation on "doubleplusungood." I am not crazy. I couldn't feel like this if I was. Now I'm off to sleep, but not before I take the pills that turn off the part of my brain that's correct.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

i think of demons posted:

Have you considered attending an online support group for caregivers?

I haven't, you mean like a messageboard or something?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

No. 6 posted:

same; i'm terrible at maintaining friendships (especially without some sort of scheduled meeting) and that's only gotten worse since covid means i barely get out for social events, plus i'm constantly convinced that i shouldn't inflict myself on other people and no one actually enjoys my company. just gonna steadily go insane as my interior monologue cannibalizes itself i guess

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

indigi posted:

I haven't, you mean like a messageboard or something?
when my grandmother was suffering from dementia and was alternating between home care and hospitalization, they referred my mother to a caregiver support group hosted in-person at the facility. Your mother's doctor could likely refer you to a group that hosts a Zoom/Teams meeting with no pressure to actively participate. if you tell them that you are struggling as a primary caretaker, it will not be a surprise to them. Most people have had very positive experiences with caregiver support groups.

corn haver has issued a correction as of 03:21 on Sep 19, 2020

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

So given that, you know, THAT happened, I was doomspiraling for like 30 minutes but then it... Went away? I got thoughts like "this won't affect me, I don’t live in the us, my heart bleeds for them but maybe this won’t lead to global fascism or WWIII", "do what you can", the sort of platitudes that I usually yell at people for... Does this mean I am developing a more healthy mindset or just becoming another deluded peon about how screwed we all are? Is my empathy shutting down? Am I becoming a monster?

At the very least, I am feeling good about my increasing capability to call down in the face of these despair storms. I might become functional yet. Just hope I don't become an rear end in a top hat in the process.

Stay strong everyone. Find strength in whatever you can. Whether it's fighting inner demons, outer injustices or just caring for yourself. What works for you works for you and trying to do something else can just make things harder for you and potentially others.

AceOfFlames has issued a correction as of 15:20 on Sep 19, 2020

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Never mind, just the news in more places and I am panicking again. Goddamn it, why can't sites like AVClub just stick to movies and games? Anyone else have this problem where politics inevitably bleed into your hobby news outlets? I want to read about movies and games, not about how the world is ending. I already know that, thank you Mr. Journalist.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
So, I used to have career plans and an education and a body that did what I told it to.

I think. The memories from the era before my big injury are like trying to recall a dream you had last week. No matter how hard I try, I can't get them to focus enough to remember anything beyond a smattering of emotion, and even there I can't tell if it was actually in any way appropriate. I used to think I remembered things, I was certain I did... until evidence very clearly told me I didn't.

So I already go into it with my left foot just reporting 404, my headaches being constant enough any outside pain might as well be a summer breeze, unable to stand properly, or to work in any way that has been hiring for the last 50 years, with random episodes of weakness sometimes just going "lol did you think you were going to do anything but post today".

And this year, well, for me a bit before, hits. I lose my ability to walk due to a hosed up toe, I'm losing sensation and control on my left side. Both my cats died of cancer. A lot of things I use daily broke down and needed replacement, to a level I really couldn't afford. Not a surprise, all of the items were very worn down. The situation with the world delayed the toe being fixed... at 2 years with it... even further. Should be fixed any day now, but I've said that before. Dental's been fixed (thanks, exact words in law making it free), but that was really close and anesthesia wasn't an option and there were quite a lot of fillings.

I have no sleep schedule and can sleep from three to eighteen hours completely without knowing why, sometimes waking up so dizzy I need to crawl to go take a poo poo that day. My apartment is a mess, my diet is a mess, I don't think I've talked to an another person in real life that wasn't working at that time since the whole coronavirus mess started. Very possibly before.

And my underlying diseases are getting worse, slowly but surely. I know better than anyone what the number say for likely future lifespan.

And I just can't bring myself to care. A lot of people read me as angry but honestly that's just the way I talk and interact with people. It's a remnant from the times I was angry, I think, I wouldn't actually be able to answer why I do it. I can tell I don't care enough to change it. I don't care about improving my life. I don't care about doing things, much less finishing them. I don't care about my bad future odds. I don't care about taking care of myself.

I noted I got angry because as a general rule I... don't. I tell people to face their despair and do something - and I do actually do things to help others - but I don't care if they do or not. I don't care if I do or not.

I think I should care, but I don't. And yes, I know that's depression in a nutshell. I've exhausted all treatment avenues and have been banned from therapy (yes, banned, and it's permanent aside from a law change) and several doctors have refused to touch the pharma component.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

AceOfFlames posted:

Is my empathy shutting down? Am I becoming a monster?

Couldn't begin to tell you.

But eventually that calm in the eye of the storm becomes a permanent state.

I know I have no empathy left; I just can't relate to other people who have "normal" feelings. It takes vigilance to stop myself from becoming an rear end in a top hat, because people break down over such minor things... from my perspective, anyway. And I doubt I've succeeded.

I have sympathy, and compassion, both genuine emotions as far as I can tell. But no empathy.

Used to break down over it and just become a turboasshole just because I was so afraid of saying the wrong thing it was easier to just offend someone as much as possible so they go away. Helpful advice: Neither approach has consequences. Have a life depressing enough and people will just avoid you no matter if you try to be an rear end in a top hat or try to not be an rear end in a top hat. Eventually I stopped caring if I said the wrong thing or not.

And the world isn't ending any more than it was yesterday.

Eventually within the calm you might find the answer. I can't tell you what it is now because you won't understand. The meaning boils down to "there comes a point where you can no longer shed tears over what has happened and will start figuring out how you want to influence the future, no matter how limited your power may be". But it's not a goal to strive toward... it's more like a runaway train running out of track.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

endlessmonotony posted:

So, I used to have career plans and an education and a body that did what I told it to.

I think. The memories from the era before my big injury are like trying to recall a dream you had last week. No matter how hard I try, I can't get them to focus enough to remember anything beyond a smattering of emotion, and even there I can't tell if it was actually in any way appropriate. I used to think I remembered things, I was certain I did... until evidence very clearly told me I didn't.
I have sympathy, and compassion, both genuine emotions as far as I can tell. But no empathy.
I can relate to that. I think I may have always had something wrong with my brain and maybe I have just been recently more acutely aware of that, but god drat if it hasn't felt like it's degraded significantly in the past couple of years. Maybe the seizure I had last year did something that the MRI (or doctors) didn't pickup, maybe it's just age, but genuinely feels like it just doesn't work anymore. I can't recall anything, short or long-term. The only thing I tend to recall are just snippets of extremely embarrassing/or some form of traumatic experiences in the past. I can't synthesize or hold visually anything in the brain much, if I listen to lecture podcast or something it just goes in one ear and out the other. I've pretty much had to resort to keep sheets of paper on my desk to write stuff down to remember what t do for work or sketch things because I just can't hold it in my brain and I definitely don't have a big "outside the box" thinking ability. At least I think it used to work a lot better, I did get a BS and an MS from some "good schools" at some point although it's kind of a blur and I'm not sure how I pulled it off, but absolutely would be thoroughly impossible now.

I also have no real ambition or plans anymore: I'm just sticking with my current job until my ye olde boss dies and the mom&pop company shuts down and then I'm kind of up poo poo creek because I'm a god awful interviewee and ugh I don't even want to think about that. I realized I also have a massive problem in that I just don't treat anything as "serious problem" unless like the house is literally on fire and my skin is melting-- I always mentally push it off going "eh it can wait... it'll be fine. i can think about it later" and I just mentally stick my head into the comfort of status buried in like a tick. I also realized I just subconsciously have a strong tendency to avoid anything that would result in some deviation outside of the 'normalcy comfort zone', almost like in an anxiety way but not typical expression of anxiety but rather some reptilian revulsion and antsy-itchiness to not wanting to do something.

Weirdly the only time I feel like a normal person and more acutely in-tune and aware of a lot of problems is deep in the throes of edibles. Like my memory recall goes way up, I can feel normal human emotions and introspect upon a lot of these things with clarity and realize where and how much I've hosed up. But it's also often just too much that I don't like doing it that often, it's too much feeling and emotion and eventually I'll return to my numb-state and push-aside the lessons.

While my body still works, it's also degraded significantly the past 5 years. I do need to rectify that but again I just don't take it as a problem because it's not literally on fire.

Unfortunately I don't have anything for you other than you do deserve to at least get patched up in some condition that changing doctors is probably about the only thing I could think of. It's often a real cop-out to say "haha just diet n exercise" but that is harder for you with a broken foot but certainly at least making sure you're eating better and getting at least your B12/D3 in big amounts, maybe a stationary bike would be doable to get some regular routine movement going?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I have autism, I've had depression since at least age 12, and it always gets exacerbated by stress. During the pandemic I've been completely unable to do anything productive; I'm in an online class and can't get any work done. I'm often struggling to even have the energy to cook healthy food, and it's been like this for months. I'm taking an SNRI for the depression. I still feel happy as long as I don't try to make myself do anything, just utterly unmotivated when I do. Trying to do any workfeels like I'm lying to myself that it will ever matter, and like it's taking energy away from more important things like exercise and healthy eating. My therapist suggested I may have ADHD and talk to my doctor about it, I've tried meds for that before and it didn't help but I'm willing to try again. Anyone have experience with anything similar and have suggestions to offer?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Oh, no, you misunderstood if you think it's a broken foot.

My left foot is 404, lost sensation and most of the control. I can work around it, it's been that way for ten years.

Then my right big toe decided to get real badly infected. I'm diabetic so no big news.

Also yeah I do not need exercise advice guesses, I know exactly how to rehab myself into as good a shape as I'm going to get. If there's a potential solution, I've probably worked through it.

... just as soon as I've dealt with everything else on my plate. There's not going to be such a time. The pile of more acute problems keeps growing. I have the best doctors available anywhere close, specialists in conditions like mine. I have nutritional absorption problems and those have been fixed with infusions. I know how to kick the system until it spits out everything likely to have significant bearing on my long-time health and there's a whole raft of driftwood legislation that comes in handy.

It's just that there's only so many times you can retread a tire y'know.

And I don't care. I don't feel down, I don't ponder how it could have been. I just take a poo poo, take a nap, and go at it again the next day. And the next. And then one day, there won't be a next, and I'm gonna be no further on solving my problems that day.

And I know I want to feel angry about that. But I don't.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

No. 6 posted:

Same. I feel like I'm starving.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
I'm battling back from the Rona and what is probably pneumonia, and I'm just absolutely seized up with dread about going back to work. See I work in a factory, on an assembly line, in a refrigerated room, for management whose overriding philosophy appears to be 'faster, dammit! Go faster!'

I'm talking about the kind of people who find out an employee passed out and was taken away by EMS, and then proceeds to ask the remaining employees (including the sick employee's fiance) at break time what the 'holdup' was. I absolutely know I'm going to get fired once I go back, I am just not able to be on my feet for 8-to-who-even-loving-knows-how-many hours. I can't afford it, I just can't.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
my car died. probably just a battery issue but I had to
drive an hour for a blood test on Monday so that's not happening. so goddamn frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
It's only in spoilers so people who don't want to be more depressed by reading it aren't.

Everything from the wall of text I put up here the other day still stands. That's the poo poo that's going around in my mind on a daily basis, along with some more catastrophizing about stuff that's happening and happened and going to happen, which isn't really something I need to dump on people who already think like I think. I feel now more than ever like I'm the only person on a sinking ship that remembers what a life preserver is, while everyone else is off raiding the bar and yet still doing better and not drowning before me. Like I'm crazy to expect to see my reflection in a mirror. I feel like, as human as it is to be hopeful through dark times, like the lizard part of my brain telling me to focus strictly on survival is more correct, and I don't want to endure dark times at all, hope or no hope. I've never endured anything I couldn't either conquer or avoid, if I could help it, and having to spend every day watching my list of grievances compound, knowing what's coming and that no kind of reprieve from my worst nightmares is guaranteed... I feel at some point I'm going to have to force myself to prepare for those worst case scenarios if I want to maintain any integrity as a human being and not feel like the people I loathe in this world deserve to feel. It's a thousand times the work for a thousandth of the outcome that I would have felt comfortable tackling, and I don't even know if anyone in this world knows what that work would look like, and the last thing I need is to do something where I find out down the line I've been had and misused. I can't just die. I can't run off and join a cult. Any commune that I'd approve of probably got Cointelpro'd before I was born. I'd probably be decent at TEFL if I got my two hundred hours in, but then I've got to not only pray that whatever remote location I gently caress off to doesn't become some massive target, I've got to deal with all the normal stuff involved with loving off to some remote location. Maybe nowhere will ever be remote enough and I'll never see that perfect Platonic freedom I would eat a used diaper for.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

No. 6 posted:

same

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
My many years of isolation have turned out to finally be useful.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Chamale posted:

I have autism, I've had depression since at least age 12, and it always gets exacerbated by stress. During the pandemic I've been completely unable to do anything productive; I'm in an online class and can't get any work done. I'm often struggling to even have the energy to cook healthy food, and it's been like this for months. I'm taking an SNRI for the depression. I still feel happy as long as I don't try to make myself do anything, just utterly unmotivated when I do. Trying to do any workfeels like I'm lying to myself that it will ever matter, and like it's taking energy away from more important things like exercise and healthy eating. My therapist suggested I may have ADHD and talk to my doctor about it, I've tried meds for that before and it didn't help but I'm willing to try again. Anyone have experience with anything similar and have suggestions to offer?

I'm in the same boat, except that ADHD meds absolutely helped and I'm currently just waiting for my health insurance to kick back in after moving across state lines. I didn't have access to them for most of my life, though -- I leaned heavily on caffeine all through college and law school, which seems to have a muted version of the same positive effect (I guess unsurprisingly as they're both stimulants.)

This is not without a cost as caffeine exacerbates my already wildly hosed up sleep schedule (itself commonly associated with autism) and probably isn't good for my health in various other small ways, but it kicks me over from "non-functional" to "barely" and that's still worth it.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Burn Zone posted:

This post made my night substantially better, thank you.

Unrelated: how do I stop having mental despair spirals that keep me awake literally every single night (until I pass out exhaustion) about the fact that climate change is going to kill me and everyone I love in like 15 years?

Thanks to normalcy bias and irreversible misinformation campaigns by monsters who don't care, enough people are in denial that democracy is gridlocked and there's absolutely nothing we can do to stop it. One tiny group of old assholes in this one stupid country are going to kill the whole world, sooner rather than later. I finally found someone I can maybe see myself getting old with, but I can kiss more than two thirds of those years we're supposed to get together goodbye. And I will spend those few remaining years working a stressful paycheck to paycheck existence without hope of escape or seeing the world on our way out, because the middle class is dead. Trillions of others will experience the same.

And I'm... just supposed to rest easy and go about my life knowing this? Do some local activism and convince a few people who won't matter because 70% of emissions come from like 10 megacorps who don't care? What the gently caress? How the gently caress?

Unsinkabear has issued a correction as of 05:50 on Sep 21, 2020

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Climate change won't kill off humanity. It's unlikely to kill a majority of humanity.

It absolutely will create zones where people can't live without extra technology and cause massive amounts of problems feeding people. South half of Florida is more or less already lost to processes already in motion and would require massive geoengineering to save now.

But people will respond to starving, by taking desperate actions if nothing else, and that creates conditions the world's governments will respond to if for no other reason than the amazing opportunities for grift. There will be a tip-over point where it becomes more profitable to actually really do something about climate change than to leave it alone, even in the short term. Currently that's true for the long term but not the short term. And where there will probably not be enough food to feed everyone, uh, you're still more likely than not to survive it if you're posting on Something Awful.

Take the Hudson Bay. It will stay much the same from now onto a future generation where preserving and managing the climate is an obvious thing, if for no other reason than avoiding The Hunger And Storms repeating. Until some rear end in a top hat from the kids of that generation figures out there's an opportunity to create profits by being a total dickbag to everyone else.

But we're not moving towards a world that can support no humans - we're moving towards one that can support fewer humans. And the difference is an unpleasant problem.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Thank you for your weirdly smug post that still acknowledges a truly horrifying amount of human suffering. "Fewer humans" is society-killing. Capitalist economies are growth-dependent and bad things start happening when populations start substantially dropping. Humanity might survive, but the human experience as we currently understand it won't. And I suspect what continues from that point isn't going to be a world I particularly want to live in. I "and uh," likely you if you're posting in this thread, can barely hack it in this one.

To drill down on a specific example, I live in the Tampa Bay area. You kind of hand-waved away my personal reality as collateral-ish damage that is acceptable if the rest of you make it, and I'm struggling to not tell you to gently caress right off. And it is not just the South of Florida who has to worry, it's the whole drat state as well as Georgia, Alabama, the Carolinas, and Louisiana. Florida is the third most populous state in the US with almost 21.5 million people, and those others aren't small. You're welcome to do the math (and add in the fact that the #1 most populous state is increasingly on fire). For extra credit, figure out where the gently caress all these people (around 20% of the US if you include the on-fire bits, even if you assume that some of each of state will be able to stay put) are going to go when these places become unliveable. 2018 had four noteworthy hurricanes active at once. Since then there have been 56 named storms, 22 hurricanes, and seven "major" (cat 3+) hurricanes. 2020 is already out of English alphabet storm names and two letters into the greek alphabet, for only the second time in history. We're starting to see the way we measure them begin to become deprecated because more and more are exceeding category five. A cat5 storm can maintain status for 200 miles inland and survive for as far as 500. So take anyone within 300 miles of a southeastern US coast, and assume they're vulnerable in the next decade or two. That's all of every state I mentioned earlier, and maybe a bit of their neighbors as a bonus. All of us will have to live or die with these hellstorms or uproot our whole lives to go somewhere else - which I can't afford to do, and everyone else is too normalcy-bias-afflicted to do until it's too late until we're part of a massive displacement crisis.

This isn't a paranoia spiral, it's a realistic prediction of our relatively near future, and your self-reassuring argument is not in any way helping me figure out how to live with it.

Unsinkabear has issued a correction as of 13:47 on Sep 21, 2020

KlavierVogel
Feb 27, 2004

[] an old crow spoke to me [] busted leg limped down the street [] said we're both tied to our own trees [] cut me loose, cut me loose []

Unsinkabear posted:

This isn't a paranoia spiral, it's a realistic prediction of our relatively near future, and your self-reassuring argument is not in any way helping me figure out how to live with it.

I think that the best way to deal with these feelings is to quite literally live in the present moment. There isn't a single thing you or anyone you personally know can do to change the larger fate of our world, so letting any of that stuff weigh on your mind will only make you miserable. If you find it difficult to do that, a constructive way to deal with our present reality is to make plans for how you personally can deal with what may face you in the future. You're unhappy at the fact that Florida is essentially doomed - so plan a strategy to move. Obviously you can't just leave on a whim, so decide on where a safer place to be is and make a plan to make the move happen. Learn about basic survival strategies. Pick up light horticulture. Food preservation. Things like that.

Whether or not you ever act on any of these plans is immaterial - just focusing on them and knowing that you have something to head towards will make you feel better.

If you don't like my advice, then maybe you'll like my cat better:

He dragged that cucumber all the way upstairs from the kitchen and dropped it at my feet. Since he's an indoor cat, this is the best he could do to provide for me :3:

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Well you certainly read the wrong tone to my post.

There will be a world with humans in it even in the future, this doesn't end humanity, it's just that a lot of us don't especially want to go through a massive crisis that'll kill quite a few of us and will traumatize almost everyone left. Florida will have a lot of land vanish and there will be a lot of refugees and overall that's one of the smaller disasters on the schedule because Florida has a lot of resources to deal with it compared to most areas that will become unsuitable for human habitation.

I'd have used "areas that have to be evacuated" but that's unwarranted optimism.

The exaggerated part I object to is the whole "kill me and everyone I love".

Do I think any of it is "acceptable" or do I think there are ways to deal with it on an individual level? No. But there's not much I can do.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

KlavierVogel posted:

I think that the best way to deal with these feelings is to quite literally live in the present moment. There isn't a single thing you or anyone you personally know can do to change the larger fate of our world, so letting any of that stuff weigh on your mind will only make you miserable. If you find it difficult to do that, a constructive way to deal with our present reality is to make plans for how you personally can deal with what may face you in the future. You're unhappy at the fact that Florida is essentially doomed - so plan a strategy to move. Obviously you can't just leave on a whim, so decide on where a safer place to be is and make a plan to make the move happen. Learn about basic survival strategies. Pick up light horticulture. Food preservation. Things like that.

Whether or not you ever act on any of these plans is immaterial - just focusing on them and knowing that you have something to head towards will make you feel better.

If you don't like my advice, then maybe you'll like my cat better:

He dragged that cucumber all the way upstairs from the kitchen and dropped it at my feet. Since he's an indoor cat, this is the best he could do to provide for me :3:

Thanks for this. 10/10 cat. :3: "Basic survival strategies" is a pretty deep rabbit hole because there are so many eventualities that it's easy to be consumed by the fact that you never know which specific circumstance you'll need to survive and we only have so much time to prepare for each. I think that route lies madness and just another flavor of not enjoying the time we have left. Do appreciate the post and I'm not trying to argue, it's just something I've already mused on a bit and those are my thoughts. I can plan to try and leave Florida, will definitely put that into practice. That's one of those obvious things that is easy to lose track of as a long term plan when it feels hopeless in the short term. I think for me, I'm very aware of the future and my own track record when it comes to big changes, so I will have to actually keep taking those small ongoing actions towards leaving in order to actually feel the benefit. I can at least try to stay hopeful and focused on that. I am bummed that I won't be able to take people with me and they'll likely stay, but I assume living with constant low-key guilt beats living in constant high-key fear.

If anyone has any expertise on what that safer place may be in the long term (given that many regions are experiencing or moving towards their own flavor of crises), I'd love to hear it.

endlessmonotony posted:

Well you certainly read the wrong tone to my post.

There will be a world with humans in it even in the future, this doesn't end humanity, it's just that a lot of us don't especially want to go through a massive crisis that'll kill quite a few of us and will traumatize almost everyone left. Florida will have a lot of land vanish and there will be a lot of refugees and overall that's one of the smaller disasters on the schedule because Florida has a lot of resources to deal with it compared to most areas that will become unsuitable for human habitation.

I'd have used "areas that have to be evacuated" but that's unwarranted optimism.

The exaggerated part I object to is the whole "kill me and everyone I love".

Do I think any of it is "acceptable" or do I think there are ways to deal with it on an individual level? No. But there's not much I can do.

I don't really get why you object to someone else's concerns and feelings, and I suspect that's the crux of our misunderstanding, but I'm sorry nonetheless. That sentence may have been hyperbolic in Something Awful tradition, but losing any of them is more than I'm okay with, and I feel like everything else I said stands.

It's true that Florida has resources, but it's wildly optimistic to say that puts it on the smaller scale of disasters. Given Florida's track record on how we use our resources, don't expect any aid of consequence to be rendered other than in the very worst cases of "here is some food and shelter to keep this whole county from dying." That's definitely an area where your statement about people figuring out where "there's an opportunity to create profits by being a total dickbag to everyone else" rings true.

It also sounds like you're focusing exclusively on rising waterlines, which is a common thing people trying to minimize climate concerns do (if I seem over-annoyed it's because I have had many, many carbon copies of this conversation). I understand that you mean well, but in other cases it feels delusional at best or bad faith at worst, since it's the least pressing issue of all of the ones we're facing. The concern here is the loving hurricanes (and regardless of which issue you look at, this doesn't affect just Florida, it's the whole southeastern seaboard). We're likely to be tied with CA & friends for the worst displacement zone in the country in terms of both acreage and population, and people constantly trying to deny or downplay that is incredibly frustrating.

Unsinkabear has issued a correction as of 16:27 on Sep 21, 2020

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
update on the therapist who ghosted me: she finally contacted me asking for some times as soon as I wrote that post, but I haven't heard from her in the almost-week it's been since I replied. I finally sent an email to her today saying she either needed to make time for me this week or give me a referral for someone else who could.

I am sick of this, and I don't even know what to hope happens at this point. I am so tired of starting a new therapist every single year (if not more often than that). The list of things I have to fill a new person in on grows longer and longer as I get older and older and my life gets more and more hosed.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

TheLemonOfIchabod posted:

update on the therapist who ghosted me: she finally contacted me asking for some times as soon as I wrote that post, but I haven't heard from her in the almost-week it's been since I replied. I finally sent an email to her today saying she either needed to make time for me this week or give me a referral for someone else who could.

I am sick of this, and I don't even know what to hope happens at this point. I am so tired of starting a new therapist every single year (if not more often than that). The list of things I have to fill a new person in on grows longer and longer as I get older and older and my life gets more and more hosed.

Write a word doc all the stuff about your life that's about 1 page and email it to every new therapist you see, or read it to them in your first session. This should save you like 10 weeks of bringing them up to speed.

Unsinkabear posted:

Climate Anxiety/Depression

I guess my question to you is: If you're set on the world ending in 15 years, or whatever, why aren't you spending these next 15 years living the best life you can?

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

:thanks:

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

TheLemonOfIchabod posted:

I feel your pain. my therapist ghosted me at a really difficult moment for me and then never sent me recommendations like they said they would and I asked for. that said, they helped me unbreak a lot of my brain so I guess I will give them 3 stars.

I believe in you!!

Someone else mentioned a work doc and that sounds pretty good. I honestly hadn't considered that.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

thehandtruck posted:

Write a word doc all the stuff about your life that's about 1 page and email it to every new therapist you see, or read it to them in your first session. This should save you like 10 weeks of bringing them up to speed.

This strikes me as interesting because of the three therapists I've seen none of them wanted to know anything about my life. Literally nothing. It's been the most surprising aspect of therapy, that patients are just a collection of rootless symptoms and that therapists proceed directly to suggesting coping techniques.

KlavierVogel
Feb 27, 2004

[] an old crow spoke to me [] busted leg limped down the street [] said we're both tied to our own trees [] cut me loose, cut me loose []

Dick Trauma posted:

This strikes me as interesting because of the three therapists I've seen none of them wanted to know anything about my life. Literally nothing. It's been the most surprising aspect of therapy, that patients are just a collection of rootless symptoms and that therapists proceed directly to suggesting coping techniques.

That sounds awful :smith:

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

um, what?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Unsinkabear posted:

It also sounds like you're focusing exclusively on rising waterlines, which is a common thing people trying to minimize climate concerns do (if I seem over-annoyed it's because I have had many, many carbon copies of this conversation). I understand that you mean well, but in other cases it feels delusional at best or bad faith at worst, since it's the least pressing issue of all of the ones we're facing. The concern here is the loving hurricanes (and regardless of which issue you look at, this doesn't affect just Florida, it's the whole southeastern seaboard). We're likely to be tied with CA & friends for the worst displacement zone in the country in terms of both acreage and population, and people constantly trying to deny or downplay that is incredibly frustrating.

Do you often have conversations where people will try to minimize climate concerns by calling climate change a massive crisis that will traumatize humanity enough that the people who have it in living memory will consider it taboo to even question CO2 being a top priority for everyone everywhere?

Southern half of Florida's hosed and your options are "leave". Anything further south than NYC will have severe problems. But living in Florida, you have the option of leaving, instead of starving in a shanty town at one border or another. Assuming you've got the right papers, anyway.

What I object to is the whole implied - honestly, frequently explicit - statement that we're all dead and nothing can be done. Most people in western countries still have the ability to significantly impact the fates of themselves and their loved ones.

I also don't like losing my loved ones, but when it happens, I gave preventing it my all and it wasn't good enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

thehandtruck posted:

I guess my question to you is: If you're set on the world ending in 15 years, or whatever, why aren't you spending these next 15 years living the best life you can?

my problem is that I can't even begin to imagine how to do that