Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Hadlock posted:

Anybody know what ipx rating the new ipads will have? They make great boat navigation hardware

They’re not water resistant/proof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

sourdough posted:

Anyone notice much difference in terms of screen size between 6th and 7th gen iPad? I think I can go from the 6th to the new 8th for around $100 after sale/trade in, and for the slightly bigger display and new soc, figure maybe that's worth it. Dunno if there's really any other differences between them?

Dang, I guess I should sell my 6th gen. I'd do it, that SoC step means another ~2 years of comfortable lifespan.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

sourdough posted:

Anyone notice much difference in terms of screen size between 6th and 7th gen iPad? I think I can go from the 6th to the new 8th for around $100 after sale/trade in, and for the slightly bigger display and new soc, figure maybe that's worth it. Dunno if there's really any other differences between them?

The 6th gen only had 2gb of RAM while the 8th will have at least 3gb (like the 7th). That's a pretty big leap that will help out with performance.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

FCKGW posted:

The 6th gen only had 2gb of RAM while the 8th will have at least 3gb (like the 7th). That's a pretty big leap that will help out with performance.

Oh I didn’t realize, yeah that’s another nice bump. Looks like a pretty easy decision to go for it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Weird how on the iPhone you can sprinkle widgets wherever but not on iPad.. Also no App Library on iPad? Boo.

Scribble owns though, I got a pencil just for that and does not disappoint. Amazing how it can decipher some of my chicken scratches. Takes a little bit to trust the palm rejection and put your hand on the glass while writing too.

ChadSexington
Aug 12, 2004
I am so not competitive. In fact, I am the least non-competitive. So I win.

priznat posted:

Weird how on the iPhone you can sprinkle widgets wherever but not on iPad.. Also no App Library on iPad? Boo.

You can kinda have widgets on your Home Screen on the iPad by setting them up in the Today View and always have them display in landscape mode...but, yeah, not really.

iPadOS lacking those features is a real head scratcher for me, especially since widgets on the iPad’s bigger screen would make a ton more sense. :iiam:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I really don't like what they did to the widgets and today view. Things are bulkier and uglier and seems to offer less flexibility. Scribble is rad though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

ChadSexington posted:

You can kinda have widgets on your Home Screen on the iPad by setting them up in the Today View and always have them display in landscape mode...but, yeah, not really.

iPadOS lacking those features is a real head scratcher for me, especially since widgets on the iPad’s bigger screen would make a ton more sense. :iiam:

Yeah! I would almost never use even the medium size widget on iphone but on the ipad I would put the large ones in even. Makes no sense to restrict it just to a small area on the “home” screen.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

No App Library on iPadOS is loving stupid

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

There was a rumor that widgets weren't going to be ready in time. I wonder if they just quick working on iPad OS version of this stuff to bolster the team working on the phone side of it.

grandma why
Sep 24, 2010

terrible

kri kri posted:

No App Library on iPadOS is loving stupid

yup this and no widgets outside of the sidebar thing makes ipados seem instantly outdated

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Does the 8th gen iPad reuse any older bodies, the way the Air 3 was the former Pro 10.5?

I have keyboards for the Air 2 and a Pro 10.5, any chance they’d be usable on a new 8th gen basic iPad?

grandma why
Sep 24, 2010

terrible

AdmiralViscen posted:

Does the 8th gen iPad reuse any older bodies, the way the Air 3 was the former Pro 10.5?

I have keyboards for the Air 2 and a Pro 10.5, any chance they’d be usable on a new 8th gen basic iPad?

Steve is rolling in his grave

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

AdmiralViscen posted:

From my understanding, the 8th Gen iPad basically is the exact same as the 7th Gen but with the internals of the iPad Air 2019 (minus the screen).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

AdmiralViscen posted:

Possibly.

try it I guess?

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I’d rather not spend $300 on something to try it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

AdmiralViscen posted:

I’d rather not spend $300 on something to try it

I haven’t checked but apple usually explicitly spells out compatibility on their site

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

IIRC the 10.5 and 10.2 sized iPads are the same body size with smaller bezels, so a keyboard case (?) made for a 10.5 ipad will likely work for a 10.2 ipad.

If you google around for 10.5 ipad case on 10.2 ipad, you'll see a lot of listings for cases that list compatibility with both.

https://www.amazon.com/iPad-Keyboard-Case-10-2-2019/dp/B07YY11DYM

https://www.amazon.com/TYPECASE-Touch-Generation-Keyboard-Touchpad/dp/B082Y6YDZZ

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Cool, thanks. I tried searching that way on amazon and I was mostly seeing stuff that said iPad 7 or 8 and not including air3/old pro in the lineup.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Has anyone noticed shrunken icons on iOS 14? Some of the app icons and folders are randomly smaller than others lol

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

They’re not water resistant/proof.

Genius Bar and other people i know who fix them say “unless you bring it in dripping water onto us, theres not any reliable way to tell water damage” “keep that to yourself”

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

illcendiary posted:

Has anyone noticed shrunken icons on iOS 14? Some of the app icons and folders are randomly smaller than others lol

Widgets too—on this iPad which has _never_ ran any betas.. noticed it earlier and rebooted. Seems fine now, but that was a weird bug. I did test iPadOS 14 on another model and didn’t see that happen at all over the last few months either ...

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

stirlo posted:

Genius Bar and other people i know who fix them say “unless you bring it in dripping water onto us, theres not any reliable way to tell water damage” “keep that to yourself”

Not particularly relevant on a boat in saltwater, but thank you

IPX7 generally means capacitive buttons etc will last at least 3-4 years in a saltwater environment

IPX68 generally means it will work outdoors for 20 years without any maintenance besides getting hosed down once a year with fresh water

Gonna have to replace my space heater this winter, as I just found out that capacitive button that switches it from low to high corroded out and now only turns on to HI mode, which flips the circuit breaker when the dehumidifier turns on

Last year we ate the cost of a "water resistant" bluetooth speaker whose buttons stopped working

I think even regular iphones have IPX ratings now, a little surprised the iPad line does not. Looks like there's a bunch of good aftermarket cases, though.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Not particularly relevant on a boat in saltwater, but thank you

:words:

I think even regular iphones have IPX ratings now, a little surprised the iPad line does not. Looks like there's a bunch of good aftermarket cases, though.

Hehe apparently one of the best and easiest replaced IP cases is a large ziplock bag ; used that on many models in the past...

I’ve seen fully enclosed dust proof cases for the phones though ; I’d be sure theres something made for marine and extreme environments out there though for the tablets too

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ziploc bags work for approximately no seconds in a direct sunlight marine environment, especially once the humidity turns the inside of the bag into a tiny rainforest

That said, iPads are the best mobile marine navigational devices on the market today

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Quick question, after upgrading to ios14 I don't see any 1440/2160p options on YouTube app on neither my XR nor my iPad 6th gen, is there any compatibility matrix to check? The codec is there on both devices(in safari experimental there is "WebRTC support for vp9" so I would guess it's supported).

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Yeah that got removed for everyone. I think it's a Google thing.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
scribble in iPadOS 14 is a game changer. The little stuff like quickly filling out forms without needing to pop out the onscreen keyboard is great, but having my to-do list manager (Things 3) read scribble input from anywhere on the screen and convert to text items a half second later is fantastic. Excited to see how integrated it already is without any changes to apps on behalf of the devs maintaining them. Now if they'd just let you choose which app handles "open note taking app when screen is off" the iPad would be as close to perfect as I can imagine.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

No kidding, if I could have it flip to OneNote quick notes I would literally use nothing but my iPad to jot down my notes.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

negativeneil posted:

Now if they'd just let you choose which app handles "open note taking app when screen is off" the iPad would be as close to perfect as I can imagine.

It never occurred to me that should be an option but god drat yeah that would be amazing.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
Hi. Selling a 12.9” Pro 3rd gen here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3940552

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

My iPad makes a weird faint grinding noise, for lack of a better word, when fully charged but still plugged in and asleep. I assume it is some sort of charging thing or something? Normal?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

My iPad makes a weird faint grinding noise, for lack of a better word, when fully charged but still plugged in and asleep. I assume it is some sort of charging thing or something? Normal?

I have never heard of this before. Have you tried to replicate it with another charger and cable?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Probably coil whine. Does it kinds sound like a very faint hard drive seeking?

Try a new cable/charger but it's just something that electronics do sometimes. It's not bad and won't hurt anything.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

FCKGW posted:

Probably coil whine. Does it kinds sound like a very faint hard drive seeking?

Try a new cable/charger but it's just something that electronics do sometimes. It's not bad and won't hurt anything.

Yeah, that is exactly what it sounds like. The charger is an apple brick but the cord is like a 8 foot amazon something or other so I guess that could be it. Thanks!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

you’ve got a Borrower trapped inside of it

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

japtor posted:

Reminds me of this in the Verge review of the current model:

No clue how it sells relative to the other iPads, but if nothing else it at least has established a pricey niche for itself.

The last update was solid. Rather have had a small iPad Pro of course, but CPU and RAM were current for the first time since the second gen six years prior. They just hosed it for the 3rd (iPad mini 2, plus Touch ID!) and 4th, which was outdated when it came out, and went almost four years without an update.

There's been some conflicting and/or shifting rumors. 7.9" model was mentioned back with some mini LED displays (along with a bunch of others), while a later rumor mentioned 8.5-9", along with a 10.8" iPad that was probably the iPad Air.

Past performance not indicative of future etc but…

If you look at the trend line of the last 3 iPad minis it’s basically been the current generation iPad Air stuck inside the mini body. Even the display tech carries over. One exception is the mini 4 got an A8 when the air 2 had an A8X, but the general idea still holds.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

MrBond posted:

Past performance not indicative of future etc but…

If you look at the trend line of the last 3 iPad minis it’s basically been the current generation iPad Air stuck inside the mini body. Even the display tech carries over. One exception is the mini 4 got an A8 when the air 2 had an A8X, but the general idea still holds.
Huh yeah guess that's roughly the case. Looking at the wiki timeline it's actually all of them except the original, which was iPad 2 equivalent about a year and a half later (launched with the 4th gen iPads) and the 3rd gen, launched with the Air 2 but still had the original Air/Mini 2 guts other than the Touch ID added on.

Mini 4 was roughly equivalent a year later when the Air 2 just stuck around while the iPad Pros came out...and then the iPad Air was later killed off when the cheap iPads came about, and the mini got no updates until the Air came back.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Has anyone ever plugged their macbooks in with the two-pronged cable? It makes the case kind of awful to touch in many instances, heh.

I definitely expect the next mini to basically be the tiny air. My so is extremely looking forward to getting one, hopefully with that nice new design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Yeah, that is exactly what it sounds like. The charger is an apple brick but the cord is like a 8 foot amazon something or other so I guess that could be it. Thanks!

Cord you bought from Amazon, or an Amazon cord? Some Amazon basic products have been letting the magic smoke out.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/10/business/amazonbasics-electronics-fire-safety-invs/index.html