Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Jesse Ventura posted:

:eyepop:

Did you post about this bike in the old thread? It is fascinating.

I might have posted about looking for for one but I just grabbed this over the weekend. Someone had to smoke 440 packs and pay $110 for this thing in 1996. The components were all super low end garbage stuff but the frame is 4130 chromoly steel. You could buy this bike from a dealer as well without the Marlboro branding, and it’s apparently much rarer, and with better components, although still pretty low end.

I’ve seen a couple built up online - one guy went all out and powder coated the frame and made it into an IGH build. The other build I saw was similar to what I’m going for, leaving the frame original but going 1x and replacing the junk parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

440 packs! Could your lungs stand biking after that?

——

I saw the other mechanic today, the one near where I work. To my surprise he located a bad link in my chain, I don’t know if the link is responsible for the changing gears but it certainly will have to be fixed. Don’t know if I could do that myself.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
I had a warranty frame replaced a few weeks ago and the shop that did the work was garbage. Keep in mind it was a rebuild with current generation DA that only had about 50 rides on it. Here is the final tally

Rotors rubbing the brake pads, both front and rear.
Front derail, completely out of adjustment and not aligned with the rings
Rear derail, out of adjustment, still does not work well. Won't shift into larger cogs easily, gets hung up in between gears. I am assuming a piece of internal cable housing is not seated against the stops.
Please set my seat at exactly 31". Nope, it was set at 31.5", and I had to cut the mast myself.
Air in the brake lines, enough that I could hear the fluid sloshing around when I pulled the brake levers.
None of the bolts were torqued to spec.
And my favorite, the left crank arm just sort of hanging free on the spindle,

Other than that, great job guys.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

I had a warranty frame replaced a few weeks ago and the shop that did the work was garbage. Keep in mind it was a rebuild with current generation DA that only had about 50 rides on it. Here is the final tally

Rotors rubbing the brake pads, both front and rear.
Front derail, completely out of adjustment and not aligned with the rings
Rear derail, out of adjustment, still does not work well. Won't shift into larger cogs easily, gets hung up in between gears. I am assuming a piece of internal cable housing is not seated against the stops.
Please set my seat at exactly 31". Nope, it was set at 31.5", and I had to cut the mast myself.
Air in the brake lines, enough that I could hear the fluid sloshing around when I pulled the brake levers.
None of the bolts were torqued to spec.
And my favorite, the left crank arm just sort of hanging free on the spindle,

Other than that, great job guys.

Name and shame please! What was their excuse?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

that's not just sloppy, that is literally unsafe to ride

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes
My first maintenance post after buying my bike about a month ago, exciting!

2020 Giant Contend AR3, all stock parts.

Everything is super smooth and quiet, and was for the first few weeks. Lately though, I've been hearing this loud metal POP occasionally when I push hard on the pedals, happens on either side, almost always after coasting and getting back on the pedals. I was able to recreate it when I had the bike up on a bench just using my arm, after rotating the pedals backward for a bit, then pushing down.

Any ideas? I've tried tightening every bolt on the crank arm and pedals I can see, but it doesn't seem to have helped. I can try to take a video if that would help diagnose the issue.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Freehub pawls half catching then slipping. Some can be opened up with no tools and some require taking out all the loose ball bearings.

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes

CopperHound posted:

Freehub pawls half catching then slipping. Some can be opened up with no tools and some require taking out all the loose ball bearings.

drat, that is a little out of my comfort zone, may have to take it to my local shop. Thanks.

Is that unusual for a new bike, or something that just happens as it is broken in?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Ehh, should not happen on a new bike. I imagine the most likely cause is that the grease is a little too thick and making it stick. If I didn't just buy the bike from a local bike shop, I'd probably try flushing a little bit of light weight oil like triflow at the spot where the freehub meets the hub.

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

How can I fix my rear brake? The plastic ring that holds the spring is cracked, so the brakes just rub the wheel all the time. Can I buy this part, or do I need a new brake set?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Cigarette Bike update:

I’ve done a little work. I started by stripping it down to the frame. The crank was pretty rough to get off. The BB unthreaded by hand. :ok:

I’ve cleaned as I went and took off some of the scuffs. Sadly, some of the scratches are through the paint, and the decals have a couple nicks. It’a a 10 footer.

So far:
- Replaced what I’m sure is the original square taper BB. What used to account for grease was rock hard.
- Replaced the cpi 3x crank with a 38T crank. With pedals it weighed nearly 4 pounds. I knocked off 10mm from the BB spindle length and I probably could have gone a little more for a better chainline, but it looks fine.
- Threw on some Kenda 2.0 tires on some 26” MTB rims I had sitting around. The previous wheels were boat anchors, and a freewheel in the back.
- New Origin8 v-brakes because I don’t want to mess with cantis.
- Installed brake levers, shifter, and grips on the bars, which I mocked up for now. The 9 speed friction shifter is the only bit I’m a little concerned about as it’s pretty cheap and rather ugly.

Still to do:
- Install new stem when it gets here. I wasn’t able to find a 1” QR stem and I didn’t want to mess with a 1” to 1 1/8” adapter, and then get a 1 1/8” folding stem, so I’ll just take the front wheel off when I need to fold it up all the way.
- Cut housing and cables to something non-ludicrous and get the brakes set up right.
- Install RD hanger. This bike doesn’t have a direct mount, so I’ve found a Sunrace hanger that uses the axle and then provides a direct mount location. I’ll be mounting a Sora RD I have sitting around.
- Replace seatpost and saddle. This seatpost is absurdly heavy, and is the outdated 26.4 pillar style.

Nice to haves:
- Install a better QR lever on the back.
- Find another 1” QR stem if it exists.
- Throw on an indexed shifter if this friction one sucks.

Anybody else want one?

https://holland.craigslist.org/bik/d/hamilton-special-edition-marlboro/7187585576.html

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

lwoodio posted:

How can I fix my rear brake? The plastic ring that holds the spring is cracked, so the brakes just rub the wheel all the time. Can I buy this part, or do I need a new brake set?

How long had you been riding with the brake like that?

V-brakes are fairly cheap. This isn't the lowest tier option; you could go cheaper if you wanted:
https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Mountain-Bicycle-V-Brake-BR-T4000/dp/B00MWHDPEC?th=1&psc=1

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

How long had you been riding with the brake like that?

V-brakes are fairly cheap. This isn't the lowest tier option; you could go cheaper if you wanted:
https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Mountain-Bicycle-V-Brake-BR-T4000/dp/B00MWHDPEC?th=1&psc=1

The bike had been sitting around for a while and just tried to use it. I don't know anything about bikes. How do I know what v brakes work on the bike? Are they universal?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

lwoodio posted:

The bike had been sitting around for a while and just tried to use it. I don't know anything about bikes. How do I know what v brakes work on the bike? Are they universal?

Those brakes will work.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

lwoodio posted:

Most brakes have a reasonable amount of adjustment. Your frame doesn’t have any unusual clearance limitations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I'm trying to understand how GXP deals with bracket type FDs.

So Hollowtech 73mm does it by having a narrower driveside cup (not illustrated in the diagram), and defaulting to using a 2.5mm spacer when you don't run a bracket FD mount?

I understand how the GXP crank is fixed at the NDS cup.
But I don't see any mention of how to accomodate for the width of a bracket FD. It's just screw in the DS cup no matter what.
Is there just a 2.5mm gap on the DS cup, with seals/covers taking up the cap?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

TobinHatesYou posted:

Color coordination of a largely obscured component yo.
I'm totally replacing the 24mm BB that came with my crank with a purple white industries BB when I wear this one out.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

kimbo305 posted:

So Hollowtech 73mm does it by having a narrower driveside cup (not illustrated in the diagram), and defaulting to using a 2.5mm spacer when you don't run a bracket FD mount?

I understand how the GXP crank is fixed at the NDS cup.
But I don't see any mention of how to accomodate for the width of a bracket FD. It's just screw in the DS cup no matter what.

There is a wave washer to take up that space also you can use cassette spacers to move the drive side cup out.
https://www.bikeinn.com/bike/sram-s...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wheels-Manufacturing-1mm-Cassette-Spacer/dp/B0025UINFC

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

I looked through the sram frame fit documentation and it looks like just act like those derailleurs don't exist.

I do recall seeing some gap on the drive side last time I installed a gxp, but I can't recall if it would have been enough to leave room for the fd mount.

I personally would just try it, but I would tell other people to get the frame faced down to 68mm.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

mikemelbrooks posted:

There is a wave washer to take up that space also you can use cassette spacers to move the drive side cup out.
https://www.bikeinn.com/bike/sram-s...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wheels-Manufacturing-1mm-Cassette-Spacer/dp/B0025UINFC

Under what circumstances would you want one on the DS cup? Default install doesn’t require them, and the bracket FD would provide its own push outboard.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Name and shame please! What was their excuse?

I did not call, but wrote the owner an email. He is yet to respond. I'll call in a few days if he does not get back to me. In any case, I won't take it back in as I cleared it all up myself, and it is a 90 minute round trip to the shop even in the best of conditions.

I knew this was going to be a problem within minutes of seeing the bike. There were test ride pedals on it, and I asked the guy handing me my bike if he wanted his pedals. He went back for a pedal wrench, and as he was removing them, I could see from 10ft away that the left arm was loose. He pulled the pedal off, I walked over and wiggled the crank arm just to be sure. I just blurted out something along the the lines of "Man, what the hell? I could see this when I was standing over there and you are just going to let me roll out of here like that?" My wife just looked and me and said "that would have been expensive and dangerous, yes?" gently caress yeah it would have been.

Anyway, I have found several more issues over the last few days. Not going to name and shame though. They have done good work on other things, so I'll just try and get to the bottom of this with the owner.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
If the owner doesn't come to the table then 100% you should name and shame.

Ruining someones bike is not ok even if they know how to fix it.
Especially when you pointed it out... They should have fixed it on the spot and if they couldn't they should have offered to deliver it to your house

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

"go to your local bike shop for service" says the OEM, when your local bike shop is forty five minutes away and cannot affix a crank arm to its spindle

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Clark Nova posted:

"go to your local bike shop for service" says the OEM, when your local bike shop is forty five minutes away and cannot affix a crank arm to its spindle

This reminds me to do the pinch bolts on the donee bike I’ve been swapping stuff onto :ohdear:

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007

Clark Nova posted:

Local bike shop, heh.

Sort of related to my lovely build saga. One of the items I needed to do was cut the seat mast. The shop in town was booked up because COVID, could not spare the time to do a cut. And since I try to shop local whenever possible, I asked them to get me a Park SG7.2 saw guide. The price they quoted was the same as any mail order, and I was not in a hurry. As it was Saturday, they said it would be in by Monday. Tuesday I go in to buy a chain, and ask about my saw guide. Nope not it, give us another day. Sunday rolls around and I call ahead before going in. Uh, all of our suppliers are out man, we don't know when we can get one. Thanks for at least letting me know, you had my phone number and could have called. Dipshits.

1 minute later, my online order to Jenson USA is done. Free shipping and the tool is here the next day.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

kimbo305 posted:

Under what circumstances would you want one on the DS cup? Default install doesn’t require them, and the bracket FD would provide its own push outboard.
I am sorry I miss understood your question ( the wave washer fits over the crankset spindle and allows you to add preload to your bearings}.

Does this explain things clearer?

68mm shell 1X2.5mm NDS 2 X 2.5mm DS
68mm shell 1X2.5mm NDS 1 X 2.5mm DS and E type bracket
73mm shell 1 X2.5mm DS or no spacers and E type bracket

kimbo305 posted:

I don't see any mention of how to accomodate for the width of a bracket FD. It's just screw in the DS cup no matter what.
All you are doing is missing out a 2.5mm spacer from the drive side cup when you fit a bracket type front derailleur.

mikemelbrooks fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Sep 20, 2020

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

mikemelbrooks posted:

I am sorry I miss understood your question ( the wave washer fits over the crankset spindle and allows you to add preload to your bearings}.

Does this explain things clearer?

68mm shell 1X2.5mm NDS 2 X 2.5mm DS
68mm shell 1X2.5mm NDS 1 X 2.5mm DS and E type bracket
73mm shell 1 X2.5mm DS or no spacers and E type bracket

All you are doing is missing out a 2.5mm spacer from the drive side cup when you fit a bracket type front derailleur.

I'm all clear on Shimano.
What about GXP? I don't see any documented accomodation for the bracket mount thickness.

kimbo305 posted:

I got two Bontrager freehub bodies, a 54t and 108t.

From everything I've read, the functional difference is solely in that the 54t body has 3 pawls and 3 empty sockets instead of the full 6. But I'm curious about 2 things --

The 54 vs 108 distinction in the listings I bought these through was a red herring.
I went to install the left one, and realized it was a 10 speed freehub body, while the orange seal one is an 11 speed. The listing did not make that clear, but luckily, it was what I needed.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Sep 20, 2020

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So I fiddled around with the derailleur and the chain, but really couldn't make much of it despite the video you guys posted in the OP being very thorough and easy to follow, but ultimately I feel the chain was just hosed from that one time it slipped off and I must've forced it too much trying to get it back on.

Fortunately, turns out my bike shop, who had told me to come back on Tuesday morning, which I have off, to replace the chain, rents their store out to a free-lancer Saturdays and Sundays. The store's just 5 minutes from the apartment which is super convenient so I dropped off my bike with the dude and he got everything up and running. I am so so so pleased. I still need to learn to do these simple repairs myself but I figure I'll get there.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Clark Nova posted:

Lumping all LBS'es together is like lumping all OEMs in the same basket. I know exactly where to stay away from in my town.

3 of my bikes were stolen about a week ago and our LBS just lent me their test cargo bike for 5 days no questions asked until I could get a replacement for school runs. They wouldn't even take my money (I brought whisky and biscotti instead).

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

evil_bunnY posted:

3 of my bikes were stolen about a week ago
That sucks so much, I would be so demoralized if three of my painstakingly built bikes were yanked.

evil_bunnY posted:

our LBS just lent me their test cargo bike for 5 days no questions asked until I could get a replacement for school runs. They wouldn't even take my money (I brought whisky and biscotti instead).
But this is awesome.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

kimbo305 posted:

I'm all clear on Shimano.
What about GXP? I don't see any documented accomodation for the bracket mount thickness.

The diagram was taken from instructions for a GXP bottom bracket.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cranks/165-thorn-130-pcd-ex-bearing-single-crankset-with-integral-bottom-bracket/

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
I'm in the process of setting up the front derailleur on my bike. While trying to set wire tension, I accidentally over-tightened the wire by going ham on the barrel adjuster. This was because the wire initially had a ton of slack, but that was intentional, so that I could set the limit screws. Now, when trying to loosen the wire up, I am running into some strange quirks, and, I hope I didn't gently caress anything up seriously!

The first issue is that now, the upshift/downshift controls on the brifter no longer seem to usable. As in, I can't move the shift lever (it feels almost frozen), and the shifter thumb button is stuck. In trying to loosen the wire, now, the barrel adjuster is very difficult to turn. Like, I'm legit going to need pliers. And, it's hard to turn in either direction. The bike is a 2010 Trek 1.2, with Shimano Sora components.

Hellllp! Is my bike forever hosed? Worst case, can I just leave it in the middle or large ring and treat the bike as if it were running only a single chainring?

(Until I have enough saved up to have a LBS fix it, should the bike FUBAR)

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass
I would try unclamping the cable at the derailleur and starting again. And yes you can just use the limmit screws to keep the chain on which ever sprocket you wish.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

That is interesting. I wonder if their crank spindle is a smidge longer than sram normally does. Too bad nobody actually publishes that number despite how important it is for frame fit.

Sram doesn't seem to officially support it.

People on mtbr seem to have varying success installing chain guides with GXP because there is generally ~2mm extra spindle length on the drive side.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I've been struggling to adjust the mechanical disc brakes on my front wheel aluminum frame toughroad and bike shops inevitably gently caress it up too. The issue seems to be that there is enough flex in the fork that when the brake pads sit tight against the rotor, turning or standing up to pedal bends the fork and the pads rub audibly. When I adjust them to not rub, it'll brake well enough, but it's not great.

Tightening the skewer helps a bit, but still not sure what to do.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

If you don't have it already, compressionless brake housing helps a little.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Get the posts faced, that'll help. If that doesn't work 100% you'll either have to warranty it or live with it.

I've never seen this with a rigid fork myself but a coworker is dealing with this on his gfs bike from a different manufacturer. I have seen this a lot with Suntour suspension forks. I have a Recon fork on order for my wife's Talon 1 for the same reason. Facing it made adjusting the brake literally every time the wheel comes off way easier but the problem persists. A lot of the Talons we build also suffer from the same chronic brake alignment issues.

As soon as it comes in the Suntour fork is going in for warranty and the replacement is going up for sale.

Kind of a shame because it's an air fork that works pretty good for the price point.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Mauser posted:

I've been struggling to adjust the mechanical disc brakes on my front wheel aluminum frame toughroad and bike shops inevitably gently caress it up too. The issue seems to be that there is enough flex in the fork that when the brake pads sit tight against the rotor, turning or standing up to pedal bends the fork and the pads rub audibly. When I adjust them to not rub, it'll brake well enough, but it's not great.

Tightening the skewer helps a bit, but still not sure what to do.

The fork leg almost always flexes more when leaning right, causing rub on the left pad. Increase the distance to the left pad and slightly decrease it to the right pad. Don’t aim for symmetry.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

mikemelbrooks posted:

I would try unclamping the cable at the derailleur and starting again. And yes you can just use the limmit screws to keep the chain on which ever sprocket you wish.

Thanks for the tip! Using your advice, I loosened up the cable and all of the shifting was restored. After re-adjusting the limit screws, indexing, etc, I think I actually have it all dialed in now.

I'd test ride it to confirm, but it's raining. Thanks, Florida!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

While that crank is definitely GXP style, the bottom bracket SJS says in the comments to replace it with is a Hope, with the same Shimano style spacer setup.

My confusion was over whether the 73 standard was designed knowing there would be a bracket type mount option, and whether manufacturers were able to design their BBs to that option. I had thought chainline would be an issue, but —

Given how Shimano 73 installs with a spacer by default, maybe they knew about the bracket mount up front, and they can keep the chainline in place under either option.

I just measured the Shimano cups, and they’re the same thickness, not thinner on the DS like I had read somewhere. So to keep pedal symmetry, the DS crank just needs to be narrower than the NDS by that spacer width, assuming the 73 BB shell is symmetric to the frame.

GXP lucks out on chainline (or I suppose by design, if you ask SRAM engineers) since that’s fixed on the NDS side. Just need the spindle long enough to poke out past the DS bearing.
Digging more, like there’s plenty of people who find the gap when installing GXP and use spacers or washers outboard of the dust cover. So it seems likely the spindle is long enough.