Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Like, uh, what do we do if we run out of Greek letters? Cuz that sounds pretty realistic at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

1stGear posted:

Like, uh, what do we do if we run out of Greek letters? Cuz that sounds pretty realistic at this point.

We dust off the Rosetta Stone.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

err posted:

How did they send telegrams across the Atlantic Ocean? That's thousands of miles and phones weren't invented yet.

laying cable

E: hurricane horus

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Zarin posted:

How high can/do mosquitoes fly, how much do telephone poles cost, and how much is screen material per square foot?

No reason . . .

There were 'mosquito tornadoes' in eastern Russia earlier this year due to the hotter than normal weather causing a population explosion.

Those are actually non-biting lake flies (Chironomidae).

In general, mosquitoes that bite humans prefer to fly at heights of less than 25 feet. However, mosquitoes are found breeding in tree holes 50 feet above ground. They are even found thriving in high rise apartment buildings.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

1stGear posted:

UTF-8 emojies.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

what are they going to do when we run out of Greek alphabet

by then Trump will have finished shutting down NOAA entirely and handed everything over to accuweather. "Hurricane 4 brought to you by flavor-blasted Doritos" will be the first to be retired.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Bert Roberge posted:

In general, mosquitoes that bite humans prefer to fly at heights of less than 25 feet. However, mosquitoes are found breeding in tree holes 50 feet above ground. They are even found thriving in high rise apartment buildings.

There have been reports of cattle deaths in the wake of Laura dying of being overly drained of blood by an explosion in the *biting* kinds of mosquitoes.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

BIG HEADLINE posted:

There have been reports of cattle deaths in the wake of Laura dying of being overly drained of blood by an explosion in the *biting* kinds of mosquitoes.

I thought that was less "vampiric mosquitos sucking things to death" and more "prey animals will literally exhaust themselves to death trying to run away from a precieved threat and clouds of mosquitos are apparently irritating enough to trigger that"

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I thought that was less "vampiric mosquitos sucking things to death" and more "prey animals will literally exhaust themselves to death trying to run away from a precieved threat and clouds of mosquitos are apparently irritating enough to trigger that"

I'm sure you're right, I just saw the initial headline and thought "yeah, sure...WHY NOT."

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
it's 100% the cattle exhausting itself trying to get away.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

https://www.lsuagcenter.com/profiles/rbogren/articles/page1599664054105
The swarms of the insects drain blood from livestock, and the animals keep moving to ward off mosquitoes and become exhausted. “They can’t get enough oxygen,” Fontenot said.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

1stGear posted:

Hieroglyphs. looking forward to hurricane 𓀒

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Running myself to death away from a cloud of mosquitoes is only slightly less horrifying than being bitten to death by a cloud of mosquitoes.

solidarityforever
May 11, 2020

I will never jeopardize the beans
I propose we name hurricanes after the corporations and billionaires most responsible for climate catastrophe so people know who they should be angry at.

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

listen, if you really want I can ask them to turn the smoke off

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

solidarityforever posted:

I propose we name hurricanes after the corporations and billionaires most responsible for climate catastrophe so people know who they should be angry at.

the end result of that will literally be "the stock price of the company named goes up because the auto-trading algorithms see a spike in news articles about the company" > "companies fighting to get a hurricane named after them"

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.

TACD posted:

Hieroglyphs. looking forward to hurricane 𓀒

Thats tiny on my screen. Like, holy poo poo dude...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

not eager about beta

I assume it’s not gonna be harvey style rain, but I remain inherently ready for it to go bad

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:
Weird weather on the east coast of FL tonight.

NWS posted:

A strong northeast wind surge of 20 to 25 mph gusting to 40 mph, affecting Volusia and northeast Brevard Counties, associated with a "back door" frontal passage, will continue to spread south through this evening. Coastal areas from Cape Canaveral to Melbourne Beach and Sebastian inlet will feel impacts from this surge start through 9 PM. The surge will spread farther south across the Treasure Coast overnight. Showers and heavy rain over northeast Volusia county have produced 3 to 5 inches of rain already and could produce an additional 1 to 3 inches of rain. Heavy showers moving into northern Brevard could produce 1 to 2 inches of rain.Of particular concern, very hazardous beach and boating conditions will develop into tonight with northeasterly winds increasing as large, long-period swells arrive from the Atlantic. Rough, pounding surf and a high risk of numerous strong rip currents can be expected at area beaches along with the potential for moderate to significant beach erosion during high tide cycles at least through Monday. A Coastal Flood Warning starts tonight for the Volusia and Brevard County coasts coincident with a Wind Advisory. For mariners, a Gale Warning will take effect tonight for the coastal waters from Flagler Beach to the Volusia and Brevard County line. A Small Craft Advisory will remain in effect south of there.

I looked at Windy and wtf is happening in the Atlantic?

Edit: To be clear I'm not talking about Teddy, I'm talking about the wind patterns everywhere else.

snake and bake has issued a correction as of 04:54 on Sep 20, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah I looked on the radar and I saw that, I guess it's the frontal system mixed with the moisture from Sally? It literally stretches from the FL coast all the way across the Atlantic to Iceland

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
The combined forces of humanity's effect on nature and lmao is what's happening to the Atlantic, and also everywhere else.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

snake and bake posted:

wtf is happening in the Atlantic?

the planet's dying, cloud

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

retro-crazed Texas youths resurrect Harvey

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

So I didn't even know there was anything going on until yesterday afternoon and now I'm looking at harvey 2.0? I've already got ptsd flashbacks.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

snake and bake posted:

Weird weather on the east coast of FL tonight.

No update from Melborune Yacht Club yet, RIP.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Crunchy Black posted:

No update from Melborune Yacht Club yet, RIP.

Are those the beautful boaters tjmp loves?

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:
Melbourne Yacht Club update: The weather is still real wonky here.

Is there a site where I can look at historical records of wind patterns? I am not having any luck in the search engines no matter how I think to phrase that

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.

snake and bake posted:

Melbourne Yacht Club update: The weather is still real wonky here.

Is there a site where I can look at historical records of wind patterns? I am not having any luck in the search engines no matter how I think to phrase that

Have you tried playing with weather.gov settings?

https://www.weather.gov/jax/

They have several lists of things like wind speeds and rainfall...Yearly, perhaps the options allow you to view historical data?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Bert Roberge posted:

There were 'mosquito tornadoes' in eastern Russia earlier this year due to the hotter than normal weather causing a population explosion.

Those are actually non-biting lake flies (Chironomidae).

:eyepop:

:stonk:

Well, that sure is a . . . thing.

Also I guess Western Michigan is having to worry about EEE (Equine Encephalitus or something). Maybe someday I'll just build a screened-in backyard. Even the top, 10 feet up, gently caress it.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

A report into the health effects of Australia's Black Summer. This is what's coming for California and Oregon soon

https://twitter.com/smh/status/1308275561832349697

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Helith posted:

A report into the health effects of Australia's Black Summer. This is what's coming for California and Oregon soon

Pff, the US doesn't care about this. That cost is shouldered by individuals primarily and a bit by insurance companies when a poor who couldn't leave finally overruns their comically high deductable. Given how late in the year it is, odds are a decent chunk of folks will end up moving into next year's deductable too and end up medically bankrupt. Truly, a victory for privatized healthcare all around.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

In america we call those "Health Profits" not costs, number is gonna love this

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Just think of how much money countries who don't have healthcare as 20% of their GDP are leaving on the table. What rubes!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Helith posted:

normal brain: these bushfires have caused hundreds of premature deaths and thousands of serious health issues
capitalist brain: let's write our headline about how much money this cost the government

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/DTorresEdwards/status/1308390271848153088

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

doesn't look so bad?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Thesaurus posted:

doesn't look so bad?

Yea not so bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuoL3P2dgmg

I don't get out of bed for anything less than those two roads start to flood.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I am in awe at the size of this lad

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
How is it possible that there is only a tropical storm warning issued for the coastline, when the hurricane-force wind field extends almost all the way to the shore already? Is Canada supposed to eat hurricanes like Texas does?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

El Burbo posted:

I am in awe at the size of this lad

teddy is going to take out greenland after it's finished with canada