Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Der Kyhe posted:

Estonian is close enough to Finnish that it is mutually understandable if the speaker wishes to make it so. So good luck with that.

bonus, then I'll finally get fingerpori's impenetrable puns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

World War Mammories posted:

bonus, then I'll finally get fingerpori's impenetrable puns

if the speaker wishes to make it so.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

"by 22.00 almost every one isa' sleep" drives me loving nuts every time I see it. Someone should really fix that.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I want to like this game - I played it for an hour before, seemingly out of nowhere, my guy kills himself due to depression. I must have travelled no more than 3-4 screens away from the starting diner. What the hell did I do wrong?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Day 4 off to a slow start. I'm wearing a jacket that says "pissfa***t" on the back now, so that's cool, and I'm pretty sure I'm close to finding this elusive stick bug. But I'm still extremely ready for something to happen in this game. I really think the pacing could be a lot better tbh.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Anjow posted:

I want to like this game - I played it for an hour before, seemingly out of nowhere, my guy kills himself due to depression. I must have travelled no more than 3-4 screens away from the starting diner. What the hell did I do wrong?

Pick up stuff. If you take damage and have picked up something to heal it, you can use it during the last moments by clicking on the cross over your health pips. (Orange is physical, blue is mental). Starting out with more than 1 in Endurance or Violition helps make this less of a concern. The beforeIplay has various notes that can help.

Never had a suicide in the game, so no idea how you did it.

And as a final note, if you see the title card come up and aren't sure what to do next keep going.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Day 4 off to a slow start. I'm wearing a jacket that says "pissfa***t" on the back now, so that's cool, and I'm pretty sure I'm close to finding this elusive stick bug. But I'm still extremely ready for something to happen in this game. I really think the pacing could be a lot better tbh.

I mean if you focus on the main investigation you can push things along.

The pacing slows down for sure if you're trying to do all of the side content.

Phasmid quest in particular is kinda tedious by design.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The game has a secret balancing philosophy whereby if you try to rush too far into exploring somewhere when you don't yet have a reason to then it'll trigger physical/moral damage.

The most obvious early example is that if you don't take Kim's advice and use his wagon's car to call your precinct, you take a bunch of damage in the conversation with Evart from him revealing things that Harry hasn't appreciated yet.

If you take things slow and spend the first day focussing on the things Kim tells you you should do rather than exploring the map then you should be fine. The game is also very generous with healing aids, by day 2 you should be picking them up faster than you are consuming them.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I got this game about 3 days ago and already sunk at least 12 hours into it. My favorite highlight is either shining a flashlight directly in a clerk's face and rapid firing deep philosophical questions before calmly saying "okay" and walking out without buying anything while on my way to find help for getting a body down after failing miserably at basic pistol marksmanship.

or Doing "the gun thing" with Authority and :airquote: accidentally :airquote: hitting an all-time low with Kim. good thing I saved beforehand!

OR EVEN finding my badge AND my car, lodged in the ice in the sea and the most appropriate reaction for it, right before I then became a free market fundamentalist upon doing a lot of speed and extolling the virtues of my boxer role model

I think this game is extremely Good and Cool and I look forward to seeing what the gently caress happens next

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Anjow posted:

You should report that you lost your fun.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

EorayMel posted:

I think this game is extremely Good and Cool and I look forward to seeing what the gently caress happens next

:hmmyes:

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

The inconsistent censoring of fag*ot is weird, and they don’t bother with “fagari” at all

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

Yeah I thought that was weird too about pissf****.

Why make up all the races and racial slurs but keep this in and then mute it out. They could have made up a term.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
i think it's funny how with all the awful things in the game, that word still gets censored.

it's fine though. some creators use characters like cuno as an excuse to revel in writing slurs while being able to say "no no it's not me saying that, the character is just ignorant"

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Marin Karin posted:

i think it's funny how with all the awful things in the game, that word still gets censored.

Yeah, this was pretty funny, not gonna lie. The writers going no, we may test some boundaries, but actually leaving this word uncensored is a bridge too far.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

are they wrong

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

it is very odd. Have the Devs talked about it at all? I can't figure out if it was some sort of artistic decision or if it was intended to be un-bleeped but they were worried about backlash.

Like, it's obvious what word it is. I think there's a case to be made for just leaving it or taking it out entirely. Then again most of the other slurs are more obtuse. I'd imagine if characters were using the N word it would have gotten the same treatment.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Censoring words for the sake of humor is a known thing and has been done before. Selectively censoring some words while leaving other possibly objectionable words uncensored even moreso.

Hwurmp posted:

are they wrong

They are not.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Yeah, now that I think about it it’s probably a stylistic choice, it’s actually smeared off the jacket lmao

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

How critical is it to get Joyce's information about the hanging? I'm on my first playthrough, and I told the racist truck driver to gently caress off sometime on day 1. Now Joyce won't talk to me unless I investigate the drug smuggling, but when I talk to the racist truck driver, the dialogue option to ask about the drugs just doesn't appear. From reading around, it seems like that's a necessary step to be able to finish that quest. How stuck am I if I can't finish it?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

you're fine

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Stop looking poo poo up and figure it out, detective.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

There's no way to lock yourself from progressing besides not having the money to pay to sleep the 2nd night, so don't worry about it. Trying to optimize your playthrough goes against the spirit of the game, go with the flow.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I only ever save scummed if I lost a relatively easy roll and was really curious about whatever subject it was. Usually stuff completely unrelated to the case.

Even when I accidentally yelled some racist poo poo at Kim in the dance hall, I felt awful but kept going. I'm glad I did because the scene afterwards where your faux pas is discussed was very well written.

Embrace failure.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

veni veni veni posted:

it is very odd. Have the Devs talked about it at all? I can't figure out if it was some sort of artistic decision or if it was intended to be un-bleeped but they were worried about backlash.

Like, it's obvious what word it is. I think there's a case to be made for just leaving it or taking it out entirely. Then again most of the other slurs are more obtuse. I'd imagine if characters were using the N word it would have gotten the same treatment.
It's not the obvious word.

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Sep 20, 2020

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

I will admit I savescummed white skillchecks because those don't change anything when you fail like red ones do, the necessary skill just says "try again later." Red ones I took the good with the bad like a proper recovering fuckup.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

pissflamingo... i always knew...

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ehhhh. It's obvious what it's trying to invoke whether or not it's written out in the files. This is pretty meaningless to me tbh

I think It's fine. I think it's an odd choice in direction but at the same time I get it and I wouldn't say there is anything I dislike about it. It's just jarring but it's an interesting choice.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Kinda feel this article is off base especially in regards to racism. At least for me, upsetting Kim is a far bigger deterrent to any racist behavior than a simple, easily fixable loss of morale. And I think that was the intention. Why would Harry lose morale when he doesn’t even know where he stands on most issues?

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

chaosapiant posted:

At least for me, upsetting Kim is a far bigger deterrent to any racist behavior than a simple, easily fixable loss of morale.

Yeah, I'm kind of glad there wasn't a game-mechanic-y penalty so much as a personal one for me the player in which I felt like the biggest bastard alive in real life. That's amazing writing

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
I started playing this for the first time and it is delightful.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

mary had a little clam posted:

Yeah, I'm kind of glad there wasn't a game-mechanic-y penalty so much as a personal one for me the player in which I felt like the biggest bastard alive in real life. That's amazing writing

writing and gameplay that work together instead of clashing. it's incredibly rare to find in a video game.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
So I decided not to mail the envelope for Evart, had second thoughts, mailed it, but he still says he's looking for my gun and I can't tell him that I mailed it. did I do bad?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Pattonesque posted:

So I decided not to mail the envelope for Evart, had second thoughts, mailed it, but he still says he's looking for my gun and I can't tell him that I mailed it. did I do bad?

Note that in conversations, sometimes new options will appear behind the faded already spoken options.

But if you told him to stuff it, you might not be able to flipflop, never tried.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

Mr. Evart's helping me find my gun. :)

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Pattonesque posted:

You don't necessarily need his help anyway, you'll be fine. Just roll with it.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Marin Karin posted:

He's an amazing man.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Marin Karin posted:

This is one of the few times the game actually made me bark out loud with laughter (instead of just constantly giggling under my breath)

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Marin Karin posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Marin Karin posted: