Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Operant posted:

Dread is insanely busted. The only mechanical downside of building up dread is you have to spend faith or gain stress, one of these things can be mitigated with a super early perk in the intrigue tree, the other by just having the right traits.
Combine that with the Human Sacrifice religion tenet - now you gain faith to gain dread. Combine that with the near-infinite amount of Adulterers (if your religion makes them criminals) and some of the dread-related perks (like the one that reduces MaA maintenance by up to 50% at max dread, and the one that increases taxes/levies to terrified vassals)... yeah I feel like they may have to nerf the poo poo out of it.

Playing on Ironman cause I'm an idiot. I am not an experienced CK player.

The Norse raiding needs fixing. I have not invaded anything outside of my de jure Empire of Scandinavia other than a bit of Russia. Everything else was was my vassals, and I need to be careful that they don't invade enough of the Spain area that I can create the Empire of Hispania upon succession (currently at 52/62 counties). I have 3x more military power than anyone else in the world, however Confederate Partition is the only thing from stopping me going on a rampage (so maybe it is balanced???). And since Elective laws have been confirmed to be bugged by devs on the forum, there's no point in me getting another Empire title because it'll probably screw up like last time and give Dynasty head to someone weaker than my heir (and have them spend the Renown - lucky I could still save scum off the autosave until they picked the Legacy I wanted).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
I mean, raiding is such a large part of why feudalism even exists in the first place. Maybe they could have a better definition of what is considered an exclave so Sweden doesn't get to keep forever control of some random part of the Middle East because it's on the coast though.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

reignonyourparade posted:

Guardian's main stat, learning stat, and the three intelligence congenital traits. The genius trait is basically equivalent to a 15 in the main stat, and will presumably have at least some of the main stat as well, so basically just Always Assign To Genius Guardians.

Also, if you can send them to university, even if they fail every single yearly random check, they've still pretty much got a floor of tier three education traits, so you can send them to university with a focus completely at odds with their childhood traits with a 0, 0, 0, 0, 0 Imbecile guardian and they'd still get at least a tier 3 and only some mild luck needed to get a tier 4.

So, basically - search for the 4 star version of the education you want, grab the person with the highest stat - bonus for the congenital traits, and hope for the best? I think I can give that a try

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019

I'm new at this assassination thing, what's the best way to go about killing her? My last couple targets were all at 80-95% chance which I just assumed was due to my high intrigue, but they seem to just have had a bunch of potential agents already without me noticing. I didn't even have any hooks that I was aware of - maybe they were just very disliked?

I read somewhere that fabricating hooks on their spymaster is good, but how can I see who their spymaster is? Should I just target the highest intrigue members of their court/vassals?

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

sloppy portmanteau posted:

I'm new at this assassination thing, what's the best way to go about killing her? My last couple targets were all at 80-95% chance which I just assumed was due to my high intrigue, but they seem to just have had a bunch of potential agents already without me noticing. I didn't even have any hooks that I was aware of - maybe they were just very disliked?

I read somewhere that fabricating hooks on their spymaster is good, but how can I see who their spymaster is? Should I just target the highest intrigue members of their court/vassals?

Does she have a husband? If so fabricate a hook on the husband. :twisted:

I did this on a Kings wife and it is extremely powerful.

I think you can find out who her Spymaster is by looking under the court tab in her character info?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
If she’s your liege, there a liege’s council tab in the council window to see her spymaster.

You can set your spymaster to hostile scheming, which will add a chunk of power to that plot.

If you go to the intrigue window, you can see if there are any agents helping you or available. Click on the k vote agents button and you can see her court. Some people will have joined automatically, but you also see people you can bribe or use a hook to join your plot as well. Invite agents and your success rate will go up.

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
She is not my liege, I just need to get rid of a truce. But that potential agents button in intrigue solves it, I didn't actually have the scheme going before so I didn't see the option.

Looks like the only way to see who the spymaster is is by hovering over the success rate in potential agents, highest success rate booster was her spymaster, though she is not listed as such under the queens court.

And she can be bribed :twisted:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

If you go to the intrigue window, you can see if there are any agents helping you or available. Click on the k vote agents button and you can see her court. Some people will have joined automatically, but you also see people you can bribe or use a hook to join your plot as well. Invite agents and your success rate will go up.

I wish the list of available agents was available before the scheme started. What I learned is that even if your intrigue skill is absolute poo poo you can most likely buy your way into an assassination by giving out enough gifts and bribes. But it would be fun if I could spend some time before hand just making people my actual friends who want to help me because they like me so much better than the other person. It'd also be helpful to know who is going to be bribable and who can't be bought.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Sadistic is a pretty great trait. In CK2 I always had a hard time being a terrible person and just imprisoning and executing everyone, but being sadistic makes it such a breeze it's hard to resist. Just take a quick trip to the dungeons whenever you're feeling stressed. Plus you can directly kill your own kids, which can really come in handy. I had six legitimate sons, most of them died without my interference, but I ended up with a mediocre heir and a quick and handsome spare. I was all set to start a plot to kill the older son but I decided to go on a hunt first. I walked in on the aftermath of him murdering someone and had the option to either cover it up or expose him... or just kill him right now because I have the sadistic trait, which is exactly what happened.

Armani Glasses
Feb 29, 2008

They're for reading.
Are weak hooks enough to force vassalise someone?

I successfully rebelled for independence against the Byzantine Empire via faction, then a month later I get the message "[emperor] has a weak hook on you]" and I'm back in, with no context or other messages.

I wouldn't even have known it happened if I hadn't zoomed out and saw I was drowning in purple again.

Very frustrating cause I just want my king title back and I can't usurp at all even though I have all the land when he's my liege.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Lack one kingdom on the Horn of Africa to complete unification as Egnatic Kanem-Bornu, sprawled on multiple kingdom-titles and duchies as objectives. Curse loudly, since this will take ages even for my Beautiful, Genius, Amazonian, Seductress, bisexual Empress. Begin going through the listed claims on the title, note all the married heirs, contemplate murder... and notices that the king has a gay daughter. Who is in a different court. And currently unwed. With claims on *everything*.

One romance later, she's in my court, my soulmate, converted to my hedonistic religion, and I immediately press her claims and unify Africa with her at my side.

Game is amazing. Broken, but amazing.

TLM3101 fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 19, 2020

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

sloppy portmanteau posted:

She is not my liege, I just need to get rid of a truce. But that potential agents button in intrigue solves it, I didn't actually have the scheme going before so I didn't see the option.

Looks like the only way to see who the spymaster is is by hovering over the success rate in potential agents, highest success rate booster was her spymaster, though she is not listed as such under the queens court.

And she can be bribed :twisted:

:ese:

wizardofloneliness posted:

Sadistic is a pretty great trait. In CK2 I always had a hard time being a terrible person and just imprisoning and executing everyone, but being sadistic makes it such a breeze it's hard to resist. Just take a quick trip to the dungeons whenever you're feeling stressed. Plus you can directly kill your own kids, which can really come in handy. I had six legitimate sons, most of them died without my interference, but I ended up with a mediocre heir and a quick and handsome spare. I was all set to start a plot to kill the older son but I decided to go on a hunt first. I walked in on the aftermath of him murdering someone and had the option to either cover it up or expose him... or just kill him right now because I have the sadistic trait, which is exactly what happened.

Yes, being a sadistic dreadful bastard is drat powerful. Keep all your subjects terrorized, murder those who aren't, don't like how one of your kids turned out? :ese: Get 3 education events in a row giving only terrible traits ensuring a bad heir? :ese: drat he inherited wheezing from his grandpa? :ese: Ugh 2-star education trait? :ese: OK now the last one keeps it all, succession secured. Just did exactly this with my intrigue-strong character.

Delightful! Oh and the mastermind spymaster who helped me arrange all this was my aunt of course!

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

So I'm playing a little weird -- some cheats from the debug menu and trying for a North Korea strategy. My issue is a lot of my holdings have "Due to being above Domain Limit, newly acquired buildings provide no tax (Expires 1 January, 868.) It's April 24th, 879. I've tried giving titles to low nobility and then taking them back and it goes right back to telling me I can squeeze some tax out of the holding once some time has passed -- starting eleven years ago. Any ideas on what I can do to fix this?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Man it's kinda disappointing that the big AI empires don't seem to do anything. Especially in the east, has anyone actually seen a Turkic invasion of Anatolia? The Romans inevitably lose the preset war for Armenia in the 1066 start, but I've never seen any follow up, even though the Muslim powers are stronger and should have big Invasion CBs?

Meanwhile the Muslims in Iberia are absolutely rampant.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

PittTheElder posted:

Man it's kinda disappointing that the big AI empires don't seem to do anything. Especially in the east, has anyone actually seen a Turkic invasion of Anatolia? The Romans inevitably lose the preset war for Armenia in the 1066 start, but I've never seen any follow up, even though the Muslim powers are stronger and should have big Invasion CBs?

Meanwhile the Muslims in Iberia are absolutely rampant.

The Byzantines in my current game have conquered most of the Levant, chunks Egypt and North Africa, bits of Spain, much of Italy, and portions of central Europe. They'd be doing a lot better if I hadn't fought them in the middle of a civil war so I could swipe the necessary duchies to reform the Papacy.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I know that if you press titles that are smaller than your own title, you vassalize the claimant.

Does that hold true for King level titles if you're an empire? Because my younger brother is very likely to inherit claims on like, four kingdoms.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

It does yes

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Reveilled posted:

I think the chance for inbreeding tooltip might be a little bit screwy, I've had to come up on marriages where, so far as I could tell, there was no blood relation at all (tracing one child backward to parentless ancestors). Though it could be that the child is a hidden bastard and the game is checking real lineage. In any case, the chance of inbreeding seems to be quite low unless you're pulling a Ptolemy. Marry your second and third cousins and it seems to be broadly OK.

Yeah I wish that when it gave the incest warning there was somewhere to click to see who their nearest shared relative is because sometimes I just cannot figure it out. Tracing through the dynasty tree is impossible when they're both from different dynasties.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I really wish they would remove the powerful vassal culture requirement from the unite Britannia choice. I've already offered guardianship to my powerful vassals' heirs (requiring a cultural change), but having to wait a generation (hopefully, if the heirs actually inherit ) to trigger the event.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Glass of Milk posted:

I really wish they would remove the powerful vassal culture requirement from the unite Britannia choice. I've already offered guardianship to my powerful vassals' heirs (requiring a cultural change), but having to wait a generation (hopefully, if the heirs actually inherit ) to trigger the event.

I got lazy with that and eventually just started revoking titles from powerful vassals until it worked its way down to people who were Irish. The penalty for too many duchies/counties isn't a big deal because you can just hand them back out after you take the decision.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Crusader Kings 3: Please add a filter for incest-causing marriages

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
From what I gathered when I looked through the defines file earlier, getting the inbred trait takes some effort. You have to share quite a few ancestors for it to start appearing, so don't worry about it if you can't see a connection.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah I got careless picking spouses and married my aunt at one point. I got a bleeder, a giant, and two dwarfs, but no inbreds.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Nah but for real, trying to arrange late-game marriages was a chore because there's no actual filter option for weeding out inbred-eligible marriages. At least, if your Dynasty is widespread enough and you've been keeping up with making sure people inherit good traits.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

toasterwarrior posted:

Nah but for real, trying to arrange late-game marriages was a chore because there's no actual filter option for weeding out inbred-eligible marriages. At least, if your Dynasty is widespread enough and you've been keeping up with making sure people inherit good traits.

Yeah the fact that the AI doesn't seem to select for traits at all means you'll be breeding entirely within the family by the time you're 200 years in

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Just gotta expand your diplo range!

One of the biggest things I'm looking forward to in hitting the Ethiopian coast is making friends with India

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
The game is too conservative when warning about potential inbreeding. Sharing some ancestry is nbd.

e A question for the thread: Has anyone actually made use of 'taking the vows', in any capacity?

Wooper fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 19, 2020

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Wooper posted:

The game is too conservative when warning about potential inbreeding. Sharing some ancestry is nbd.

e A question for the thread: Has anyone actually made use of 'taking the vows', in any capacity?

I used it on one of my daughters that had lover's pox the day she turned 16, but not for any real disinheriting/etc reason

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Moreau posted:

So, basically - search for the 4 star version of the education you want, grab the person with the highest stat - bonus for the congenital traits, and hope for the best? I think I can give that a try

Just to be clear, the education trait of the educator doesn't seem to have any impact--it's just the statline, plus intelligence traits (including the rare "Shrewd" non-congenital trait).

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

in order of preference

Someone who is a Genius
Someone who has high score in the relevant stat
Someone with high Learning

if you find all three don't ever let them go and have them chain-educate your kids

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Does Shrewd come from one of the lifestyle events? I have only ever seen it on a handful of courtiers. Strong seems pretty rare too, although not as much.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Well I guess I have entered the Decadence Phase of my empire, my current ruler has basically all the adulterer traits and started off as Sinful Piety so Holy Wars are off the table and everyone's opinion of me has tanked, with Dread generation being difficult since I am Compassionate. Meanwhile my son and heir tried to blackmail me over a Lover secret, while he himself has a bunch of imprisonment-worthy crimes lol

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

Does Shrewd come from one of the lifestyle events? I have only ever seen it on a handful of courtiers. Strong seems pretty rare too, although not as much.

I believe so, though I once got it as a result of the "Seek the Aid of the Spirits" decision that the Adorcism tenet grants. The wiki suggests it can grant both Strong and Shrewd, along with a bunch of other positive/negative things randomly.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Wooper posted:

I've used this to remove a couple potential heirs so my primary could inherit a larger portion of my domain. It's the sort of thing I have to remind myself to use though because most of the time I just autopilot my way through kids getting married because I keep ending up playing as polygamists.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Broken Cog posted:

Not sure about those but I got "Athletic" from doing a pilgrimage

Get to jog to reduce stress (and be sweaty and stinky for a year, gently caress baths)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh right I forgot my religion gives me Piety for feasting, time to party my way into religious warfare

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Lol I was at 99% warscore and then the war became invalid because the guy lost the title to someone else I guess?
Also I have no idea what a cadet branch does
I created one and it changed my name? Idgi.
And can someone point me in the right direction for men at arms? I'm still playing as Ireland and I have no idea which troops to choose.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I have been stationing my Steward in the capital doing Increase Development for almost all of the game.

I know there are diminishing returns for development so is a better strategy to send them to other places in the empire to create other centers of high development? Maybe in a county with a trade port?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

shut up blegum posted:

Lol I was at 99% warscore and then the war became invalid because the guy lost the title to someone else I guess?
Also I have no idea what a cadet branch does
I created one and it changed my name? Idgi.
And can someone point me in the right direction for men at arms? I'm still playing as Ireland and I have no idea which troops to choose.

On MAA:s, PittTheElder had a decent base guide for those (and supporting buildings) here.

As for cadet branches, they let you do a couple of things to your specific branch (“house”) and also makes you eligible for retaking the position as dynasty head. I'll quote myself from a while back here:

Tippis posted:

Cadet branches create their own house within the larger dynasty. They're still part of that dynasty, but now have their own separate house head that can control a few things related to that specific house, whereas the dynasty head gets to control things related to the entire dynasty.

House heads…
  • Can legitimize bastards
  • Can call house members to war (at no cost)
  • Can demand that house members convert to their faith.
  • Get a Weak Hook on all newly born House members.
  • Gain monthly prestige from living and landed members of their house.
Dynasty heads start out as house heads for all non-cadet branch members of the dynasty (I think they're technically the head for the “founding house” and once cadet branches pop up, it'll be treated as just another house in the bunch but will most likely have a lot more people in it), and get a whole bunch of interactions:
  • Call dynasty members to war
  • Claim a dynasty member's primary title
  • Disinherit (and restore) dynasty members
  • Denounce (and forgive) dynasty members
  • End dynasty wars
  • Control dynasty legacies
All of these dynastic powers cost a bunch of renown commensurate to how powerful they are.
If you're already dynasty head, also being the head of a cadet branch makes no practical difference — you already have all the abilities. However, other characters may create their own branches to get out from under your (full) control and gain some of their own. You will only really note the difference if at any point you lose the dynasty head position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have been stationing my Steward in the capital doing Increase Development for almost all of the game.

I know there are diminishing returns for development so is a better strategy to send them to other places in the empire to create other centers of high development? Maybe in a county with a trade port?

Why would you want to make your vassals' territory better? Just put it in your capitol and that's it. If you have one country with multiple baronies in it that you personally own I can see that being worthwhile, but generally just slap your stewards down and ignore them or use them to boost taxes or to culture convert.