Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

No everything is rolled into one. It comes with Pc gamepass and xcloud as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There's lots of good stuff on PC gamepass and it's not just Microsoft games.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Looks like xcloud is coming to Australia. Quite a big deal considering we don't have Stadia or GeForce now or anything else

https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/1306986133054607360?s=19

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Good.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Arkage posted:

Thanks for the tips. I'm waffling on the whole thing since it really feels like xbox exclusive 1st party stuff poo poo the bed this gen for the most part. If they had Sony quality and quantity output I wouldn't be nearly so hesitant on the gamepass. Also debating whether I should just go with the Xbox game pass rather than ultimate, since their PC offerings aren't that appealing to me... but I guess if you get xbox game pass you still need to pay for live separately? Or no? Confusing.

Correct. The basic Game Pass on console doesn't include Live Gold, and it won't even include the recently announced EA games.

Meanwhile, Game Pass Ultimate includes the following:
- Game Pass for Console
- EA Play on Xbox soon
- Game Pass for PC (including EA Play on PC soon)
- Live Gold
- xCloud game streaming.

That trick where you first activate 1–3 years of Gold and then convert it to Ultimate still works but requires that you don't have an active Game Pass Ultimate subscription at the moment. I definitely recommend it.

Zat fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Sep 19, 2020

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Also, they'll be doing a 4:1 conversion of accrued EA Play subscription to extend your Ultimate and depending on the region, a year of EA Play can be cheaper than a month of Ultimate so check that out. Hungarian MS Store let me buy two years of EA Play so come November that's six months of Ultimate added for the price of two.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Ruffian Price posted:

Also, they'll be doing a 4:1 conversion of accrued EA Play subscription to extend your Ultimate and depending on the region, a year of EA Play can be cheaper than a month of Ultimate so check that out. Hungarian MS Store let me buy two years of EA Play so come November that's six months of Ultimate added for the price of two.

Thanks for the heads up on this! I assumed that they'd do something like this but hadn't heard any details.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
Double post, but Digital Foundry just posted an article with some new details about how the Series S backwards compatibility works.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-this-is-how-xbox-series-s-back-compat-really-works

It's worth reading the article, but I'll snip out some quotes.

Regarding Xbox and Xbox 360 games:

quote:

Kicking off with games running on the vintage 2001 Xbox - the 'OG' machine - we've confirmed that Xbox Series S will run these games at an enhanced resolution. There's a 3x boost to resolution on both axes, meaning that titles targeting 480p on the original machine will hit a maximum of 1440p on Series S, presumably with a range of performance benefits. The good news continues with the enhanced Xbox 360 titles that were released for Xbox One X. These games will also be enhanced for Series S, this time running with a 2x2 resolution multiplier, bringing titles that ran at native 720p up to 1440p. While this doesn't match the max 4K we saw on Xbox One X, there is the potential for improved performance elsewhere thanks to the much faster Zen 2 CPU architecture. In scenarios where Xbox One X was limited by its Jaguar CPU cores, Series S has much more headroom.

Xbox One games:

quote:

It's already been confirmed that the ways in which Series S and Series X handle Xbox One titles varies. Only the Series X will benefit from Xbox One X enhancements to existing games - which typically boils down to resolution boosts, higher quality textures and other graphics-driven effects. Xbox Series S brings its additional horsepower to bear in improving the experience of Xbox One S titles instead. This is more limiting in some respects (a game hard-coded to run at 900p will not run any higher on Series S, for example) but the new console benefits from increased resolutions in games that use dynamic resolution scaling, as well as improvements to texture filtering quality. Obviously, running games from solid state storage reduces loading times significantly, while the Auto HDR feature we've seen running on Series X also features on Series S - all games should present nicely on HDR screens, whether they natively support high dynamic range or not. It's a feature I personally can't wait to test. Finally, it goes without saying that CPU-limited titles should also deliver more stable performance at target frame-rates.

Series S/X enhancements:

quote:

However, there is one more feature that Microsoft has only mentioned in passing - and now we know more details, we're excited by it: the idea that select Xbox One titles will run at double the frame-rate on the new consoles, including Series S.

"We designed the Series S to enhance the Xbox One S games in a way that the Xbox One X can't do," system architect Andrew Goossen tells us. "We made it easy for existing Xbox One S games to be updated to run with double the frame-rate when played on Series S as well. When games are updated, existing games can query to determine whether they're running on the new console. And in terms of the performance, the Series S provides well over double the effective CPU and GPU performance over the Xbox One, making it pretty straightforward for the games to do this. And in fact, the Series S GPU runs the Xbox One S games with better performance than the Xbox One X."

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

wow it runs the games better at 900p than the console running them in 4k??? incredible how do they manage it

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I hope they add more bc games

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Microsoft has mastered the art of selling new hardware to nostalgic nerds who just want to keep playing their Xbox Live Arcade games at increasingly higher resolutions on their new televisions.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If Microsoft knew anything they'd put Perfect Dark remake on PC already who gives a poo poo about Halo!!!!

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Stux posted:

wow it runs the games better at 900p than the console running them in 4k??? incredible how do they manage it

Don’t get upset stux. Better performance for backwards compatibility than One X is a Good thing

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Yes I want to be able to devote 12 teraflops of power to playing MechAssault what of it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I hope they add more bc games
I been sayin this.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

let me play butcher bay in 1080p you cowards

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
They've pretty much always expanded their BC libraries, haven't they?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The team that usually works on them stopped like a year ago to "focus on Series X". With the new consoles launching soon I hope that means we get some news about the state of BC.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Shirkelton posted:

They've pretty much always expanded their BC libraries, haven't they?

They announced last year that they were stopping the BC program on Xbox One to work on next-gen compatibility. Microsoft hasn't stated outright that they will start releasing more BC games once the new systems are out. I suspect they will, but no confirmation.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Crafty posted:

Don’t get upset stux. Better performance for backwards compatibility than One X is a Good thing

its very easy to push your frame rate up to 60 when your games are locked to 720-900p. only doubling the frame rate vs quadrupling the resolution would generally be understood as worse performance. its shocking their new console with a better cpu and gpu is so horrifically hamstrung by garbage ram yet again lol

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Stux posted:

hamstrung by garbage ram yet again lol

It's not the RAM but the lower CU count in the GPU though??? It's designed NOT to run games at 4K, for that there's the XSX.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Pretty weirdly disingenuous post. Very few (do any?) Xbox One S games run at a locked 720p. So the "quadrupling the resolution" comment is a bit off. Also, Gears has been shown to run at 120fps, so that's not "doubling the frame rate" that is in fact, quadrupling it.

I would much rather have a game run at 60fps in 4K though, as opposed to 900p120 or whatever that Gears demo was running at. That's why I won't be buying a Series S. But I'm not gonna make a weird and also inaccurate post trying to dunk on it.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

American McGay posted:

Very few (do any?) Xbox One S games run at a locked 720p.

Tekken 7 is the only big game that comes to mind outside of launch. Killer Instinct, Dead Rising 3, Battlefield 4, and Call of Duty Ghosts were all 720p, but some received resolution boosts in patches if I remember right.

EDIT: And Gears 5 is dynamic 1080p.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Storm One posted:

It's not the RAM but the lower CU count in the GPU though??? It's designed NOT to run games at 4K, for that there's the XSX.

no, its the memory, theres less of it and its slower. the CU count is not 1:1 you are looking at GCN architecture vs rdna2. the rdna1 5700 non xt has 36 CUs and 7.9 tflops to the vega 64s 64 CUs and 12.6 tflops, yet it out performs it. even in that comparison we're looking at rdna1 vs gcn 5th gen, xbox one x uses gcn 4th gen and the rdna2 chips in the ps5 and series s/x are themselves a step up from rdna1. you cannot simply look at things like CUs etc and take them as the same, archtectural improvements can be huge, especially in the case of the gcn gpus in the old consoles which are complete garbage compared to amds newer options. this is also why straight tflop comparisons are completely worthless.

the issue is the series s has less and slower ram than the one x does, otherwise it could run the one x versions supersampling at 1080p or 1440p and give the option between that and a performance mode like the ps4 pro. the only reason the one x cannot run xbone games at double frame rate like the series s will is because they didnt put in a frame rate/resolution option like the ps4 pro did.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

American McGay posted:

Pretty weirdly disingenuous post. Very few (do any?) Xbox One S games run at a locked 720p. So the "quadrupling the resolution" comment is a bit off. Also, Gears has been shown to run at 120fps, so that's not "doubling the frame rate" that is in fact, quadrupling it.

I would much rather have a game run at 60fps in 4K though, as opposed to 900p120 or whatever that Gears demo was running at. That's why I won't be buying a Series S. But I'm not gonna make a weird and also inaccurate post trying to dunk on it.

4k is quadruple the pixels of 1080p so i was being disingenuous in that i was giving more credit to the one s versions by rounding them all up to 1080p

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Agreed on all that but the whole point is that the S is not supposed to run at 4K, period. Not BC, not Series titles, it's a 1080p system. Who cares if it's the RAM or the GPU or both limiting it? It's limited by design, to be cheaper and smaller, that's the whole point.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Storm One posted:

Agreed on all that but the whole point is that the S is not supposed to run at 4K, period. Not BC, not Series titles, it's a 1080p system. Who cares if it's the RAM or the GPU or both limiting it? It's limited by design, to be cheaper and smaller, that's the whole point.

its a 1440p system according to ms, but even at 1080p the entire issue we're talking about is the series s running xbone titles in one s mode for bc. this includes running at sub 1080p resolutions for games which are fixed at sub 1080p on one s, because it cannot just run the one x versions. if it could, then it could take advantage of the resolution scaling added to titles for the one x and run 1080p/1440p, as it stands because it cannot run those versions and theyre not putting in new resolution scaling specifically for the series s theres xbox one games the "next gen" 1080p/1440p machine will be running at sub 1080p because they ran at locked lower resolutions on the one s. thats insane lol

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Stux posted:

its very easy to push your frame rate up to 60 when your games are locked to 720-900p. only doubling the frame rate vs quadrupling the resolution would generally be understood as worse performance. its shocking their new console with a better cpu and gpu is so horrifically hamstrung by garbage ram yet again lol

If that’s the case why are you so upset about it baby?

Will be interesting to see the digital foundry stuff with the cross platform titles. Guess series x will be the best place to play, curious to see how PS5 and Series S do in terms of frame rates considering they will have different resolution goals. Always preferred a better frame rate over higher resolution.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ms would have done better to buy gddr6 at a decent, commonly sought speed and take a slightly larger loss now but have more opportunity for savings later instead of 2 total dead end specs for series s where in 2022 they are the only company on earth trying to source gddr6 at 56gb/s

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Crafty posted:

Will be interesting to see the digital foundry stuff with the cross platform titles. Guess series x will be the best place to play, curious to see how PS5 and Series S do in terms of frame rates considering they will have different resolution goals. Always preferred a better frame rate over higher resolution.

Yeah totally it's going to be fascinating to see how this all shakes out. I wonder if we'll see some games run better on each system due to playing to a particular strength one has.

And non graphically how will the audio systems change how things sound.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Crafty posted:

post av combo

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

Ms would have done better to buy gddr6 at a decent, commonly sought speed and take a slightly larger loss now but have more opportunity for savings later instead of 2 total dead end specs for series s where in 2022 they are the only company on earth trying to source gddr6 at 56gb/s

yeah they couldve got a sensible memory setup and given the series s the res/fps option. its literally the xbone esram situation again where theyre taking an option that is marginally less expensive right now but will become more expensive than just having normal memory within 12 months lol

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Stux posted:

post av combo

pot/kettle

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I'm looking forward to seeing how original Xbox games look + perform on the Series X. I still have a huge Xbox (run through an OSSC for clean scaling and scanlines) because I enjoy the library and hardware, but it would be cool to revisit some of those games with steady/high framerates.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

:ironicat:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I'm looking forward to seeing how original Xbox games look + perform on the Series X. I still have a huge Xbox (run through an OSSC for clean scaling and scanlines) because I enjoy the library and hardware, but it would be cool to revisit some of those games with steady/high framerates.

NBA Street 2 is never gonna work so w/e

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

I guarantee that you don’t know the context behind my batshit weirdo red-texts (I have a secret fan in D&D :sparkles: who doesn’t like it when I say things like “there’s no such thing as a good republican” and who’s bought me six new Avs of various degrees of craziness/offensiveness since late July, when everybody with any decency had long decided not to give lowtax anymore money, and who put this week’s model up after I had the mods take down the lovely photo of the Wisconsin shooter he had up before) but I’ve read enough of your posting to exclusively read it as though it’s being vomited out of your Av at like a million miles a second.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Morrowind on the Xbox One X is so impressive. Sub-30 fps at 480p on the original Xbox to a nearly locked 60 fps at 4Kish on the Xbox One X is wild. The Series S (at 1440p-ish) and X might be able to get it the rest of the way to a locked 60.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-morrowind-is-massively-improved-on-xbox-one-x

Zerot fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Sep 19, 2020

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

I guarantee that you don’t know the context behind my batshit weirdo red-texts (I have a secret fan in D&D :sparkles: who doesn’t like it when I say things like “there’s no such thing as a good republican” and who’s bought me six new Avs of various degrees of craziness/offensiveness since late July, when everybody with any decency had long decided not to give lowtax anymore money, and who put this week’s model up after I had the mods take down the lovely photo of the Wisconsin shooter he had up before) but I’ve read enough of your posting to exclusively read it as though it’s being vomited out of your Av at like a million miles a second.

cool rap sheet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Storm One posted:

A 1080p system that runs games at 900p