Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

D1E posted:

Microsoft has mastered the art of selling new hardware to nostalgic nerds who just want to keep playing their Xbox Live Arcade games at increasingly higher resolutions on their new televisions.

Not gonna lie, this is me. Not that interested in any next-gen Xbox games, but as a platform for upscaling Ninja Gaiden it’s got appeal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Xcloud works way better than I thought it would. Any way to use it on Win 10 yet?

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Escape Goat posted:

A 1080p system that runs games at 900p
Yes, at their native resolution, but with much better performance which I'll take over pixelcount any day. It could be rendering OG Xbox at 480p for all I care, just them running without issues would be good enough.

If I were to complain about the back-compat in the S, the lack of disc drive is the bigger omission, and it would be cheaper to include than more RAM.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
Eurogamer editor Oli Welsh intervewed Digital Foundry's Richard Leadbetter about the next-gen consoles and what his thoughts are on the Series S. It's a really good nuanced discussion about the advantages and disadvantages of Microsoft's budget console and overall strategy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-sjmywB4H8

There's also talk about how the PS5 is super easy to develop for and the new Xbox GDK, which is an SDK that covers PC and all the Xbox consoles, is providing a challenge to some development teams.

Roman posted:

Xcloud works way better than I thought it would. Any way to use it on Win 10 yet?

Not yet. It's probably coming eventually as it's being tested internally at Microsoft.

Zerot fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 19, 2020

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Escape Goat posted:

Not gonna lie, this is me. Not that interested in any next-gen Xbox games, but as a platform for upscaling Ninja Gaiden it’s got appeal

Kinda thinking about grabbing a refurbed xbonx as a way to play BC games really well and then say goodbye to xbox forever

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Storm One posted:

Yes, at their native resolution, but with much better performance which I'll take over pixelcount any day. It could be rendering OG Xbox at 480p for all I care, just them running without issues would be good enough.

If I were to complain about the back-compat in the S, the lack of disc drive is the bigger omission, and it would be cheaper to include than more RAM.

I would take that tradeoff too (I have a 144Hz but only 1440p monitor which sums up my preferences for gaming).

But there wouldn't need to be a tradeoff at all if Microsoft didn't make another baffling RAM decision.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Has either company mentioned the possibility of an external disc drive add-on? Guessing a lot of parents are going to buy the cheaper system and physical games.

edit: disc drive

Escape Goat fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 19, 2020

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Zerot posted:

Eurogamer editor Oli Welsh intervewed Digital Foundry's Richard Leadbetter about the next-gen consoles and what his thoughts are on the Series S. It's a really good nuanced discussion about the advantages and disadvantages of Microsoft's budget console and overall strategy.

There's also talk about how the PS5 is super easy to develop for and the new Xbox GDK, which is an SDK that covers PC and all the Xbox consoles, is providing a challenge to some development teams.

Not yet. It's probably coming eventually as it's being tested internally at Microsoft.

Thanks had missed that will watch it later. Interested to hear about the dev kits I know traditionally that's been somewhat of an advantage for Xbox. I seem to remember back in the early PS3 days a lot of scuttlebutt about Sony's dev tools being very hard to work with in comparison being another challenge of that system.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Stux posted:

cool rap sheet

Thanks, you as well!

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
Stux on a scale of 0-10 how upset will you be when the cross platform titles perform better on series x than on ps5?

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Escape Goat posted:

Has either company mentioned the possibility of an external drive add-on? Guessing a lot of parents are going to buy the cheaper system and physical games.

Xbox is gonna sell a proprietary 1 TB Seagate SSD dongle using their own proprietary expansion port. It will cost a lot, one leak said $220, but at least it's idiot-proof and a snap to install.

PS5 will allow expansion via certain M.2 NVMe SSDs that meet their specs; they'll be keeping a list of tested and approved drives. Should be cheaper than Xbox's thingy.

Both systems allow external USB HDD/SSDs, but only back-comp games are playable. A USB drive can store Series X/S or PS5 games but they're not playable from there.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Red Warrior posted:

Thanks had missed that will watch it later. Interested to hear about the dev kits I know traditionally that's been somewhat of an advantage for Xbox. I seem to remember back in the early PS3 days a lot of scuttlebutt about Sony's dev tools being very hard to work with in comparison being another challenge of that system.

Sony put in a real effort to make the PlayStation 4 SDK easier to use than previous generations, and the PS5's is an evolution on that rather than a departure it sounds like. Microsoft's GDK seems like it is more complex than before but will make cross-development between their platforms easier. Maybe.

Zat posted:

Xbox is gonna sell a proprietary 1 TB Seagate SSD dongle using their own proprietary expansion port. It will cost a lot, one leak said $220, but at least it's idiot-proof and a snap to install.

PS5 will allow expansion via certain M.2 NVMe SSDs that meet their specs; they'll be keeping a list of tested and approved drives. Should be cheaper than Xbox's thingy.

Both systems allow external USB HDD/SSDs, but only back-comp games are playable. A USB drive can store Series X/S or PS5 games but they're not playable from there.

I think Escape Goat was referring to an external Blu-Ray drive, and I think the chance of that is minimal.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

I meant external "disc" drives but neglected to include that word :)

Thinking specifically about if you can use one to play physical games on the digital-only systems.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Oh, there's no way that'll happen in my opinion.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Escape Goat posted:

I meant external "disc" drives but neglected to include that word :)

Thinking specifically about if you can use one to play physical games on the digital-only systems.

Never.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Zat posted:

really excited to see SSD companies pull the "Mac RAM" trick with PS5-compatible drives

"well you can pay $100 for this drive or you can pay $150 for [the same exact drive in blue packaging with *FOR PLAYSTATION emblazoned on it]"

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Amazon and Newegg will have a checkbox for "PS5 compatible" and that'll be that. Once again, Microsoft being a diva about internal storage is for naught.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Crafty posted:

Stux on a scale of 0-10 how upset will you be when the cross platform titles perform better on series x than on ps5?

why would i care theyre going to run better on my pc than either lol

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Ok Comboomer posted:

really excited to see SSD companies pull the "Mac RAM" trick with PS5-compatible drives

"well you can pay $100 for this drive or you can pay $150 for [the same exact drive in blue packaging with *FOR PLAYSTATION emblazoned on it]"

it costs like 20 bucks more than the one without the logo

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Red Warrior posted:

Zerot posted:

Sony put in a real effort to make the PlayStation 4 SDK easier to use than previous generations, and the PS5's is an evolution on that rather than a departure it sounds like. Microsoft's GDK seems like it is more complex than before but will make cross-development between their platforms easier. Maybe.
ya last gen around launch we were hearing the same story on ps4 dev going fine, xbox having a ton of issues with their xdk with leaks about 6mo post-launch showing the xdk documentation and how full of holes it was

Ok Comboomer posted:

that was literally the xbox branded external drives though, univbee detailed it recently

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

Amazon and Newegg will have a checkbox for "PS5 compatible" and that'll be that.

lol not for thousands of confused normie moms and dads it won't

Gutcruncher posted:

it costs like 20 bucks more than the one without the logo

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
Has it been clarified whether the PlayStation 5 storage expansion replaces the 825gb drive like on the PS3 and PS4 or if there's a second NVMe slot that is additive to the base storage?

I assumed it was the latter, but I watched the relevant part of Cerny's Road to PS5 talk and it's a little ambiguous. At the time I assumed there was a second bay, especially since that was basically what Microsoft is doing with the Series X expansion slot in terms of having two high-speed NVMe drives hooked up at once, but I'm unsure whether that assumption is correct. Has Sony specifically mentioned a second NVMe bay?

EDIT: Here is the link to the video. ~20 minutes in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph8LyNIT9sg&t=1191s

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

lol not for thousands of confused normie moms and dads it won't

Moms and dads use Amazon wishlists their kids made, and Amazon lets you return basically anything. It really isn't going to be an actual problem and it's a dumb reason to rationalize Microsoft's big Vita memory cards

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

TheScott2K posted:

Amazon and Newegg will have a checkbox for "PS5 compatible" and that'll be that. Once again, Microsoft being a diva about internal storage is for naught.

Yeah it will be great when someone's kid asks for a new drive and the parent gets the wrong drive, or the kid tries to install it and damages it, or any other things that can go wrong when someone who doesn't understand computer hardware tries to upgrade things. Microsoft's method might be more expensive but it's literally "buy a piece of plastic and shove it into a slot". This seems different from installing an SSD as SSDs have all been abstracted away to just a piece of plastic with a SATA connector. M.2 drives have a lot of exposed components and people are likely to be wary of trying to mess with them.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Zerot posted:

Has it been clarified whether the PlayStation 5 storage expansion replaces the 825gb drive like on the PS3 and PS4 or if there's a second NVMe slot that is additive to the base storage?

I assumed it was the latter, but I watched the relevant part of Cerny's Road to PS5 talk and it's a little ambiguous. At the time I assumed there was a second bay, especially since that was basically what Microsoft is doing with the Series X expansion slot in terms of having two high-speed NVMe drives hooked up at once, but I'm unsure whether that assumption is correct. Has Sony specifically mentioned a second NVMe bay?

EDIT: Here is the link to the video. ~20 minutes in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph8LyNIT9sg&t=1191s

the one it comes with is hard soldered inside the machine, the expansion is for a second nvme drive and uses a standard m.2 pcie4 slot.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah it will be great when someone's kid asks for a new drive and the parent gets the wrong drive, or the kid tries to install it and damages it, or any other things that can go wrong when someone who doesn't understand computer hardware tries to upgrade things. Microsoft's method might be more expensive but it's literally "buy a piece of plastic and shove it into a slot". This seems different from installing an SSD as SSDs have all been abstracted away to just a piece of plastic with a SATA connector. M.2 drives have a lot of exposed components and people are likely to be wary of trying to mess with them.

now does this happen in black and whtie and then fade to color as you bring out the xbox drive or what

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I hope theres no bullshit involved with just taking your hard drive out and popping it into someone elses console and having your games there, because eventhough its an bullshit expensive proprietary drive its super cool how easy it is to just pop in and out like on the Xbox 360, and Im pretty sure the only caveat of being able to just bring your hard drive with games to a friends house was needing to be connected tot he internet.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Stux posted:

the one it comes with is hard soldered inside the machine, the expansion is for a second nvme drive and uses a standard m.2 pcie4 slot.

Do you have a source on this? I tried to find one and I couldn't.

In fact, I found this Eurogamer article that says the following:

quote:

Update (April 28th, 2020): An earlier version of this article said the storage expansion process would require users to "replace the internal SSD with a larger drive". Sony has not clarified either way whether additional storage will be a replacement, or an addition, to the 825GB drive offered at launch. We'll continue to update this article with further clarifications when we hear more.

I'd love to see Sony say there's a second drive bay!

EDIT: I misunderstood what was being talked about in the second part of my post so I removed it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Normal people buying Xbox games for their PlayStation. Because they're all just idiots who don't understand Buy Thing That Works With Thing

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

Moms and dads use Amazon wishlists their kids made, and Amazon lets you return basically anything. It really isn't going to be an actual problem and it's a dumb reason to rationalize Microsoft's big Vita memory cards

dude, I wasn't "rationalizing" anything. MS overcharging on a propriety drive format sucks too, as does entrapping somebody into shelling out $500 piecemeal for an "upgraded" Series S when they inevitably run out of their 512gb and they've already sunk money into the ecosystem and its games.

You're mistaking my flippant comment on a common, widespread, ongoing industry practice (see the aforementioned "for Switch!" SDXC cards/"Mac Memory"/Xbox-branded external HDD) that I dislike with fanboyism for one particular platform over another.

gently caress video games, no matter what platform you play on.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Zerot posted:

Do you have a source on this? I tried to find one and I couldn't.

In fact, I found this Eurogamer article that says the following:

I'd love to see Sony say there's a second drive bay!

EDIT: I misunderstood what was being talked about in the second part of my post so I removed it.

have you tried looking at the extremely indepth sony talk specifically dealing with the hardware of the ps5 yourself. there isnt a second drive bay, there is one drive bay for expansion.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Stux posted:

have you tried looking at the extremely indepth sony talk specifically dealing with the hardware of the ps5 yourself. there isnt a second drive bay, there is one drive bay for expansion.

I linked to it above. I did not hear anything about a second drive bay.

The talk of expanding storage starts around the 20 minute mark.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Zerot posted:

I linked to it above. I did not hear anything about a second drive bay.

The talk of expanding storage starts around the 20 minute mark.

i have no idea how you can watch that part and not understand what hes saying sorry sounds like a personal issue lol

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Stux posted:

i have no idea how you can watch that part and not understand what hes saying sorry sounds like a personal issue lol

I have watched the video and I don't hear an explicit statement. I also tried to find a transcript of the talk with no luck.

To me, a second NVMe bay makes sense and it would be strange to be any other way. But I'm worried that I have assumed things about this without Sony being specific. Eurogamer being unable to confirm is also odd and I was hoping there was a more recent article with more information that I haven't been able to find.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
cerny: "expanding" "add on" "the m.2 drive connects to the i/o like our ssd does" 50 uses of the phrasing "our ssd" and "the m.2 drive" with a giant picture of a soldered chip labelled "SSD" next to an m.2 drive behind him
you: what could this mean. let us check the tea leaves.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Stux posted:

cerny: "expanding" "add on" "the m.2 drive connects to the i/o like our ssd does" 50 uses of the phrasing "our ssd" and "the m.2 drive" with a giant picture of a soldered chip labelled "SSD" next to an m.2 drive behind him

The drawing at ~22 minutes is the most explicit reference to there being two drives in the PS5 at once, that is true.

I stand by that a lot of the language in the talk can be taken ambigiously, hence even Eurogamer being confused and evidently unable to get clarification from Sony. A lot of the references to expansion and add-ons are also used around the discussion of the external USB drives, and given that they are being talked about in the same section I thought there was a chance of misinterpretation from me. And saying something connects to the I/O like their SSD is not explicit, in my eyes. My 2TB Seagate in my PS4 connects to the I/O just like their built-in drive did and it wasn't additive.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i dunno i haven't heard anything about the xbox's apu not being hot swappable, will they be selling upgrade packs in a year or two? i haven't heard them say it's explicitly soldered onto the board

you can just open the series x and move the box fan aside so maybe we'll get a better cooler in the future

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Zerot posted:

The drawing at ~22 minutes is the most explicit reference to there being two drives in the PS5 at once, that is true.

I stand by that a lot of the language in the talk can be taken ambigiously, hence even Eurogamer being confused and evidently unable to get clarification from Sony. A lot of the references to expansion and add-ons are also used around the discussion of the external USB drives, and given that they are being talked about in the same section I thought there was a chance of misinterpretation from me. And saying something connects to the I/O like their SSD is not explicit, in my eyes. My 2TB Seagate in my PS4 connects to the I/O just like their built-in drive did and it wasn't additive.

the external drives dont replace the built in ssd either

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Zerot posted:

I'm going to listen to this tomorrow probably but the GDK has been around for over a year since GamePass launched on PC last May (I personally shipped one of the first games on it) and I don't really understand how it's any more of a challenge than any other SDK. It has gaps in the documentation but no more than anything else. I can only imagine the biggest stumbling block for people is DirectX 12, but that's been around for years at this point so people should have been prepared.

I spent ten minutes editing this post to make sure I don't say too much but one platform has been exceptionally better than the other in helping us ship very, very popular existing IP and it's really annoying in my day to day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Akuma posted:

I'm going to listen to this tomorrow probably but the GDK has been around for over a year since GamePass launched on PC last May (I personally shipped one of the first games on it) and I don't really understand how it's any more of a challenge than any other SDK. It has gaps in the documentation but no more than anything else. I can only imagine the biggest stumbling block for people is DirectX 12, but that's been around for years at this point so people should have been prepared.

I spent ten minutes editing this post to make sure I don't say too much but one platform has been exceptionally better than the other in helping us ship very, very popular existing IP and it's really annoying in my day to day.

Always appreciate the additional info from your perspective, thanks for sharing what you are able to!