Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
that's uh quite a reading on Travis Bickles
https://twitter.com/jckdnh/status/1306887365642788869?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

travis bickle was bad because he *checks reductive cliff notes* is a white guy

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
If he’s bad, then why does he get all those glowing write-ups in the local news at the end?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

everytime Amazon does woke poo poo, I think about how they smeared a Black union organizer they fired as being "not smart, or articulate"

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Atrocious Joe posted:

everytime Amazon does woke poo poo, I think about how they smeared a Black union organizer they fired as being "not smart, or articulate"

And wasnt it done by Obama's guy

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExZIGKBagGs

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

technically that was a spoiler but since im too much of a lazy git to actually watch things most of the time i didnt mind

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

speaking of which i just learned today there was a new xmen movie last month that involved lesbians and im legit kind of shocked we werent deluged in thinkpieces about how amazing and progressive this was

most likely because everyone knows disneys gonna burn that franchise to the ground and rebuild it from scratch just as soon as they can come up with a new five year plan so lol who gives a poo poo

cant wait for disney to give xmen the star wars sequel trilogy treatment and make it dumber in weirder more incomprehensible ways than the continuity snarl that took decades of hard work from dozens of completely unrelated writers to get that bad

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I watched "The Social Dilemma" tonight and while there's a half-way decent message at the heart of it, there's also a bunch of lovely liberal ideology smuggled into it, mostly in the skits/dramatizations that they do about how all this social media manipulation translates to Families In The Real World.

Like, a lot of the real-world clips reference things like Bolsonaro, or Trump rallies, or the incitement of racial violence against the Rohingya, but you get to the dramatized stuff and they have to create this movement called "Extreme Centrists". There's a poster of the raised fist, as in BLM/worker symbology, except the caption is "Don't Vote", and despite all of the visual signals indicating that this is supposed to be someone getting radicalized into becoming an alt-right/far-right shithead, complete with getting addicted to videos of guys ranting inside their cars and cheesy vitamin supplements and fake news, they can't commit to the bit so they have to conjure up this image of a political faction that does all the things that the far-right does, yet they refuse to call it like it is.

It's a commentary on the work itself, because if we accept the proposition that these social media companies are the way they are because of The Profit Motive, then NetFlix refusing to call out the far-right because they know that that's going to hurt the reception of the documentary and the company as a whole, then that's also a profit-driven issue.

And if we accept the proposition that these social media companies do the things they do because they're specifically trying to program you to believe certain things, then putting in clips of Marco Rubio and Jeff Flake saying that the problem is "polarization" and "tribalism" and "the two sides no longer talking to each other", is itself a project to hide that the problem is capitalism.

And don't get me started on how the Rohingya segment segues seamlessly into the interviewees talking about how Facebook can be used by PUTIN!!! to manipulate elections.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

speaking of which i just learned today there was a new xmen movie last month that involved lesbians and im legit kind of shocked we werent deluged in thinkpieces about how amazing and progressive this was

most likely because everyone knows disneys gonna burn that franchise to the ground and rebuild it from scratch just as soon as they can come up with a new five year plan so lol who gives a poo poo

cant wait for disney to give xmen the star wars sequel trilogy treatment and make it dumber in weirder more incomprehensible ways than the continuity snarl that took decades of hard work from dozens of completely unrelated writers to get that bad

Nobody cares about the X-Men anymore.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

the show is so on point with crap like this and basically taking the piss out of the MCU and Disney and then you realize Amazon is pushing this stuff.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Dreylad posted:

the show is so on point with crap like this and basically taking the piss out of the MCU and Disney and then you realize Amazon is pushing this stuff.

The Joss rewrite really sings!

Mundrial Mantis
Aug 15, 2017

gradenko_2000 posted:

I watched "The Social Dilemma" tonight and while there's a half-way decent message at the heart of it, there's also a bunch of lovely liberal ideology smuggled into it, mostly in the skits/dramatizations that they do about how all this social media manipulation translates to Families In The Real World.

Like, a lot of the real-world clips reference things like Bolsonaro, or Trump rallies, or the incitement of racial violence against the Rohingya, but you get to the dramatized stuff and they have to create this movement called "Extreme Centrists". There's a poster of the raised fist, as in BLM/worker symbology, except the caption is "Don't Vote", and despite all of the visual signals indicating that this is supposed to be someone getting radicalized into becoming an alt-right/far-right shithead, complete with getting addicted to videos of guys ranting inside their cars and cheesy vitamin supplements and fake news, they can't commit to the bit so they have to conjure up this image of a political faction that does all the things that the far-right does, yet they refuse to call it like it is.

It's a commentary on the work itself, because if we accept the proposition that these social media companies are the way they are because of The Profit Motive, then NetFlix refusing to call out the far-right because they know that that's going to hurt the reception of the documentary and the company as a whole, then that's also a profit-driven issue.

And if we accept the proposition that these social media companies do the things they do because they're specifically trying to program you to believe certain things, then putting in clips of Marco Rubio and Jeff Flake saying that the problem is "polarization" and "tribalism" and "the two sides no longer talking to each other", is itself a project to hide that the problem is capitalism.

And don't get me started on how the Rohingya segment segues seamlessly into the interviewees talking about how Facebook can be used by PUTIN!!! to manipulate elections.

It's amazing and infuriating the extent some people go to blame societal damage on something other than capitalism and our systems that uphold it. They are content with not asking who funds and benefits from pushing domestic (political polarization) and foreign boogeymen narratives as the main problem. Though it makes sense for Netflix to blame everything but capitalism.

Mundrial Mantis
Aug 15, 2017

Recently, I watched "Brazil" since I've had the song stuck in my head. A lot of the points against bureaucracy in the film apply to the cops and companies. There is a lot there that it can be reclaimed by the left from the right. The police doing a no-knock raid to arrest and abduct the wrong guy in the opening brings to mind that case where a police unit raided the wrong house and flash-banged an infant. The scenes of paperwork and the truck driver dealing with bureaucratic processes reminds of trying to cancel my cable subscription or dealing with health insurance as much as dealing with the DMV. You hear news stories about terrorist bombings but you never see anyone the viewer would consider a terrorist. De Niro's character being a rogue handyman who is a rival to Central Services and is against regulation reminds me about stories like farmers suing John Deere to repair their own tractors. And in the background, people are celebrating Christmas with a 'Consumers for Christ' flag appearing.

The main character is setup as an everyman paperpusher but he gets a promotion due to nepotism, uses a database to stalk the truck driver, and is content with the status quo until it affects his chance of getting with her.

There was an interview where Terry Gilliam said that he is surprise that the far-right like the movie since so much of it applies to them. Hell, Timothy McVeigh used Tuttle and Buttle as aliases which shocked Gilliam.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Now that you've watched it, there are multiple endings to Brazil. Guess which one the studio wanted.

edit: goddammit now it's stuck in my head

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 21:05 on Sep 19, 2020

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Mundrial Mantis posted:

There was an interview where Terry Gilliam said that he is surprise that the far-right like the movie since so much of it applies to them. Hell, Timothy McVeigh used Tuttle and Buttle as aliases which shocked Gilliam.

it's hilarious how writers/directors/creatives have no idea how people think
of course they don't see how it applies to them, it can't because they're GOOD and the bad stuff in the movie is BAD

Lokar
Mar 10, 2006

yess Brazil is one of my favorite movies

also very relatable because he has access to all this technology that’s supposed to make his life easier, but it is all poo poo and breaks all the time

meanwhile his rich mother is getting more and more youthful.

best scene is when they are dining at an expensive restaurant and bombs keep blowing up and killing other patrons so the waiters just put up partitions

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

https://twitter.com/ldrinkh20/status/1307519066001879040

Mundrial Mantis
Aug 15, 2017

Dreylad posted:

Now that you've watched it, there are multiple endings to Brazil. Guess which one the studio wanted.

When there's a section on the Wikipedia entry titled "Battle for final cut", you can get the broad strokes on what went down just based on that.

Doctor Jeep posted:

it's hilarious how writers/directors/creatives have no idea how people think
of course they don't see how it applies to them, it can't because they're GOOD and the bad stuff in the movie is BAD

It's even funnier considering that the movie came out while Thatcher and Reagan were in office.

Lokar posted:

best scene is when they are dining at an expensive restaurant and bombs keep blowing up and killing other patrons so the waiters just put up partitions

That the different entrees they end up getting at this fancy rear end restaurant are all these soggy ground meat biscuits with pictures of what you expect it to look like is just fuckin :discourse:

Also that goddamn shoe-hat

Mundrial Mantis has issued a correction as of 05:18 on Sep 20, 2020

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/pwheeler_agent/status/1305864747741523970

this just in mean girls dont actually exist they were invented by the patriarchy

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Especially funny having seen the Mean Girls dynamics play out in a thousand ways among every possible demographic on the internet but especially upper-middle class white women

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i will reiterate that joe biden is fine but he doesn 't fit in with consututional thoght

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

gradenko_2000 posted:

Part of the message of the docu is that polarization is bad. "Big-tech selling you clickbait" is a bi-partisan issue, and if the message needs to be watered down to reach a little further right, then to me it's the lesser of the two evils. I don't see it as a profit-driven agenda.

Mundrial Mantis posted:

It's amazing and infuriating the extent some people go to blame societal damage on something other than capitalism and our systems that uphold it. They are content with not asking who funds and benefits from pushing domestic (political polarization) and foreign boogeymen narratives as the main problem. Though it makes sense for Netflix to blame everything but capitalism.

The problem was all-but named. It only went as far as "big tech is manipulating your feed to raise engagement, and the trade-off to it is that the user is politically radicalised and depressed - all for money"

I think if they went further, it might hurt this message and confuse the point of the documentary

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Just started watching Lovecraft Country and I like it so far. Sort of reminds me of a less trashy, less coked up season of American Horror Story. The way the first episode focused on the idea of sundown towns/counties and how one of the characters basically writes a travel guide to help other people successfully navigate through them without getting hosed up was more eerie than the cgi dog monsters at the end.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

mysterious frankie posted:

Just started watching Lovecraft Country and I like it so far. Sort of reminds me of a less trashy, less coked up season of American Horror Story. The way the first episode focused on the idea of sundown towns/counties and how one of the characters basically writes a travel guide to help other people successfully navigate through them without getting hosed up was more eerie than the cgi dog monsters at the end.

he writes for The Green Book, which was an actual real thing black people had to use to travel so they would know where they would not get lynched

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

it gets trashier as it goes but it's pretty all right so far. first episode is still the best

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

blue squares posted:

he writes for The Green Book, which was an actual real thing black people had to use to travel so they would know where they would not get lynched

it still gets me how there was a big awards bait movie literally called green book because the characters have to use it to get around but the green book itself is barely discussed at all except as a vehicle to explain to the white guy that racism exists

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

it gets trashier as it goes but it's pretty all right so far. first episode is still the best

Watching the second episode now and it’s much more pulpy. Still enjoying for what it is.

I think I would have been pissy about it if I hadn’t waited a few weeks to take survey of reactions online. Before the first episode came out I was expecting something spooky, but from moment one it’s a Spielbergian, supernatural adventure show. I would have been annoyed if I tucked in for something scary and instead immediately got a technicolor dream sequence where Cthulhu is getting exploded with a baseball bat during a war against the saucer people, but based on reviews my expectations were tempered.

Was still caught off guard with how goddamn fast it chews through poo poo. Other shows would have stretched the plot of the first two episodes over a season, but it’s like, nope, moving on, new stuff to see.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah I got blindsided by that too, didn't realize its based on a short story anthology and not a single novel

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Cthulhu is getting exploded with a baseball bat during a war against the saucer people

im kind of interested now

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah I got blindsided by that too, didn't realize its based on a short story anthology and not a single novel

Yeah, I had no idea about that until literally reading what you wrote just now, but It makes sense. Episode three really stuck out for that reason, being a haunted house episode seemingly disconnected to the overarching plot, aside from some contrived connections. Now episode four is back to Indiana Jones style swashbuckling adventure. I think I kinda love it so far.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Gonna be a short series for sure

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 214 days!

lifestyles of the rich and famous was already a show

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Giga Gaia posted:

im kind of interested now

HBO really did a disservice to the show with their advertising. Once it gets going it’d be best described as a rollicking, two-fisted romp with a moderate amount of shoggoths, baby headed basketball playing ghosts, & burning crosses, for zest.

Serf
May 5, 2011

lovecraft country could best be described as messy, imo. its not bad, but there is a lack of focus and a just general sense of disconnected tones and themes that never line up again after the second episode, and even that one felt like it was struggling to hold itself together. last week's episode has 3 parallel plots and each one feels like its from an entirely different tv show and none of them make sense together. there's a definite sense of spectacle to it, and the actors are certainly giving it their all, so i'm enjoying watching it

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

I read this tweet and decided to only check back in later if it started getting positive wom

https://twitter.com/MKupperman/status/1297720712346705920?s=20

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so im watching detroit on cable and holy poo poo this movie is like triumph of the will for liberals it starts with vaguely sympathetic context for the detroit riots then immediately frames them as a total overreaction to a reasonable if harsh arrest by law enforcement

john conyers appears to heroically try and calm the crowd down and they tell him to gently caress off and demand to hear from stokey carmichael no indication of who stokey carmichael is or why the crowd wants to hear from him cue more footage of rioters burning things and looting poo poo

some cops talk about how the politicians should be fixing the problem then jump out of their car to loving shoot a dude walking out of a grocery store and right now the cop who shot a dude is literally doing calm reasonable hitler to a detective asking why he shot a dude in the back

our other plot is about these good motown negros caught between a rock and a hard place because the rioters are burning everything and making the police racistly assume every black person they meet is destroying the country i mean goddamn im not even at the halfway point

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

LGD posted:

I read this tweet and decided to only check back in later if it started getting positive wom

:wom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

just noticed that finn from star wars plays a security guard who understands the importance of always showing deference to white people and now the musicians figured out where the white women are at and theyre meeting a bunch of other black guys and we know theyre crazy because they believe wacky conspiracy theories about how the fbi poisoned john coltrane

this whole thing is completely loving insane how do you make a movie about the detroit riots that doesnt even attempt to empathize with the people actually doing the rioting thats the kind of thing youd expect them to at least accomplish accidentally