Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prof. Crocodile

nut posted:

I have abandoned all the fiction I was reading in favour of balancing multiple nonfiction and I like it but at what cost

i read mostly nonfiction as it turns out, and i really don't miss reading fiction much at all.

except sometimes i have to read business and leadership books for work, which are lame. although there are one or two that are really good and i would actually recommend:
  • 'maths on the back of an envelope' by rob eastaway is about how to estimate calculations in your head when there's little real information available. it's almost like one of those books of magic tricks i used to get from the school library when i was a kid
  • 'drive' by daniel pink is about motivating people, and it feels kinda slimy, but it's full of super interesting behavioral research, like a shorter and more charismatic version of 'thinking, fast and slow'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rags to Liches

future skeleton soldier

I started reading more nonfiction over the last few weeks, so here's what I've got on tap:

- Empires of the Sky by Alexander Rose
- The House of Beaufort by Nathen Amin
- The Anarchy by William Dalrymple

Fiction-wise I've got:

- Shadows of the Pomegranate Tree by Tariq Ali
- The Three-Body Problem by Cixin Liu

nut

Rags to Liches posted:

I started reading more nonfiction over the last few weeks, so here's what I've got on tap:

- Empires of the Sky by Alexander Rose
- The House of Beaufort by Nathen Amin
- The Anarchy by William Dalrymple

Fiction-wise I've got:

- Shadows of the Pomegranate Tree by Tariq Ali
- The Three-Body Problem by Cixin Liu

whoahh, I was eying up the anarchy yesterday, lemme know how it is! I was mostly curious as to whether or not it traces the forces of the East India company to modern society, particularly in the USA, home of the multinational

nut

I guess I never mentioned what I had actually been reading. I recently finished the Trudeau Formula by Martin Lukacs, which is a very critical look at Justin Trudeau's government in Canada. Building on that, I started the Sport and Prey of Capitalists by Linda McQuaig, which looks at how private entities have been increasingly taking over the public resources in Canada that were central to our development as an independent country. Always on the go, I've got the Devil's Chessboard by David Talbot, which is about Allen Dulles' role as head of the CIA, but also before that (as a corporate lawyer at Sullivan and Cromwell and the pre-CIA OSS during WW2) and most disturbingly after (JFK assassination). And every now and then I chip away at that Think Tank Aesthetics book but holy hell I always feel too dumb to be reading it.

nut

but maybe...gravity's rainbow?

magic cactus

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.

nut posted:

but maybe...gravity's rainbow?

:mods:

Thanks to Saoshyant for the amazing spring '23 sig!

beer pal

gravitys rainbow is thenext book im gonna read as soon as i finish the 9 books ive got on my shelf or coming in the mail

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

nut

I do have...Foucaults pendulum right here...

beer pal

hes another one ive been curious about

Prof. Crocodile

nut posted:

i think this is my favorite fiction book ever. and it's sadly more relevant now than ever. :sigh:

take the moon

by sebmojo
gravitys rainbow was fun but a bit of a slog 4 me. bleeding edge kind of tried really hard. i liked the internet ghost tho

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

take the moon

by sebmojo

nut posted:

i read one of his essays while my room was being bug-bombed. it was about the og point of asylums which was like to make people religious or surround them with freaks until they realized they were also freaks

----------------

Prof. Crocodile

take the moon posted:

gravitys rainbow was fun but a bit of a slog 4 me. bleeding edge kind of tried really hard. i liked the internet ghost tho

agree and agree. i think mason & dixon was a better pynchon novel tbqh, although if you believe the conspiracy theory they may have been written by different people.

nut

i've just been reading a ton of ww2-adjacent nonfic so i think gravity's rainbow speaks 2 me deep, but i also hated lot 49 so

beer pal

bump im reading borges

Finger Prince

I finished Empire of Gold recently, which finishes up the Daevabad trilogy by SA Chakraborty. Very good page turner and full of exciting adventure and intrigue as expected. I really liked the setting as a near-east fantasy world adjacent to our own, that was cool. I liked how they incorporated Sobek from ancient Egyptian mythology, having passing familiarity of it from, of all places, assassins creed origins. The characters do have an amount of redemption in the final book, which was a good way to resolve things, even though they're all still a bit detestable, they're made a lot more likeable in comparison to the truly horrific big badness. The modernizing entrenched monarchies angle was a bit transparent, but didn't detract from the story. Anyway, they were all thoroughly enjoyable books with great character arcs and story arcs, and I recommend them to someone who's looking for some long read exotic fantasy.

3D Megadoodoo

beer pal posted:

bump im reading borges

i'm re-reading eco now and i didn't get the jorge of burgos connection when i read it as a teen-ager

take the moon

by sebmojo
i dropped everything i was reading p much & am going thru house of leaves which i am finding a pleasant experience. prolly cuz it was discussed itt

also obsessively rereading a pocket book of kerouac haikus

----------------

xcheopis

http://spera-comic.com/index.html

The third book will arrive next week! My stack of "bedside" books grows ever larger.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana

Finally finished Dune for the first time and it wasn't as good as the fans have lead me to believe, so i won't be continuing the series

read Perdido Street Station and then found it it's a series and said no to that

working my way through the works of Haruki Murakami (as opposted to Ryu Murakami, who is a different kind of vibe). "Killing Commendatore" is the one i'm on now and it's a slim 700+ pages of an artist either slowly going mad or really having multiple encounters of supernatural stuff and just kinda going "well, i'm still sad about my wife leaving me" about it and hanging out with his rich friend.

picked up a book I had long forgot until a random spark of something reminded me. I had this book when i was a pre-teen and it was WAY more gorey violence, hardcore drug use and sex stuff than I was ready for at the time. I read it three times one summer. But the thing is I could not remember the name some 20+ years later. With the help of some other book buff friends via a group chat they pointed me to it and it's The Lost Traveller by Steve Wilson. It's a post-apocalyptic biker novel from the 70s and the main character's name is Long Range. There's some weird Navajo stuff in it too, from what little i remember.

and someone recommended this series The Watchers that starts with The Bar at the End of the World. Which is a post-apocalyptic Mad Max type scenario, you know, real good stuff.

that's kind of a weird coincidence those two. wonder what's on my mind?

Diorama

i remember when all this was fields
Byob recommendations from books I've read this year:

Waterland by Graham Swift (the fens are basically a character in the book, a great memoir/coming of age/history of the fens)

Good Behaviour by Molly Keane

A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute (also published as 'The Legacy') not usually a romance novel guy, but I really enjoyed this. Makes australia seem like a mars colony.

The Card by Arnold Bennet

take the moon

by sebmojo

xcheopis posted:

http://spera-comic.com/index.html

The third book will arrive next week! My stack of "bedside" books grows ever larger.

this looks dank

----------------

i have a hard time reading fiction so i'm reading a book about the history of aerial bombings. next i might try to read the full chronicles of narnia series. never did it. heard it has some interesting ~themes~ that could be really fun to try to find or whatever. i like hemingway and that's about it so i don't know.

i didn't make an account just to post that

3D Megadoodoo

I hate to break it to you but Narnia is fiction :(

3D Megadoodoo

I just finished re-reading (the Finnish translation of) Il nome della rosa and it's a good book and the translation is probably fine but, as I found out after looking at the Italian Wikipedia page for the book, they changed Adso's name to Adson :confused: As far as I can figure, there's absolutely no reason for it and now it's bugging the heck out of me.

Anyway I guess I'll start on La Sombra del Viento by Carlos Ruiz Zafón now. I bought it at the Red Cross shop for 3€ because it says on the back it's got a cemetery of Forgotten books in the story, which sounds cool. Some of my favourite books so far have been books about books.

magic cactus

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

working my way through the works of Haruki Murakami

I hope you're ready for lots of Jazz, whiskey, and 40 year old marathon running authors with writer's block who chase women who are symbolic abstractions of memories of the only time they ever found love.

I do like some Murakami but reading his stuff back-to-back you get the sense he only really knows how to tell one story.

Thanks to Saoshyant for the amazing spring '23 sig!

beer pal

borges book good (labyrinths) i thought from the first story it might be a bit difficult but i got used to it. my dude loves to think about time

then i read 2001 a space odyssey which i liked pretty well. in sci fi theres 3 main things i like; sociopolitical allegory (like le guin does), big space wonderment, and space loneliness, the book does b & c pretty well. its been quite a while since ive seen the movie so maybe i was less 'media litterate' when i saw it but i remember it being much less clear than the book is wrt wtf is going on

now im reading the horror novel the twenty days of turin & liking it so far 50 pages in

take the moon

by sebmojo
ive finished HoLs main bit & am in the middle of j truants moms letters. i honestly found truant more interesting than the main story tbh. diff strokes.

idk if ill get around to any of the books ive abandoned itt. they are not... in the same place i am

apparently im finishing a long-ago started read of gene wolfes shadow & claw next

----------------

beer pal

lol the discourse continues

take the moon

by sebmojo

beer pal posted:

lol the discourse continues

someone i know just finished it & life p much tried to kill him w/ terrible disease but hes as much the opposite of this stereotype as u an get. truly life is an infinite jest, signifying nothing

----------------

3D Megadoodoo

i still keep conflating gravity's rainbow and infinite jest :negative:

beer pal

my guilty pleasure is social media book discourse... i love to read posts arguing about wether or not its lame to organize your books by colour... or whether adults should read ya or not... or what books are for bros... or whether youre allowed to write in your books or dog ear the pages or break the spines... whether or not its bougie to buy new books instead of used ones or going to the library... whether or not books in the classics canon are good...

3D Megadoodoo

beer pal posted:

my guilty pleasure is social media book discourse... i love to read posts arguing about wether or not its lame to organize your books by colour... or whether adults should read ya or not... or what books are for bros... or whether youre allowed to write in your books or dog ear the pages or break the spines... whether or not its bougie to buy new books instead of used ones or going to the library... whether or not books in the classics canon are good...

a former school-mate once asked me at a pub if all the books i have are somehow useful to me so i told him to poo poo the gently caress off.

now that's discourse!

take the moon

by sebmojo

beer pal posted:

are they :f5:

----------------

Rags to Liches

future skeleton soldier

I'm reading a collection of MR James ghost stories because it's spooky season

they're very good and spooky

xcheopis

Rags to Liches posted:

I'm reading a collection of MR James ghost stories because it's spooky season

they're very good and spooky

Love MR James!

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana

xcheopis posted:

Love MR James!

is there a MRS James?

The DPRK

The DPRK posted:

i'm going to read infinite jest

i am nearly finished reading infinite jest - looks like it's going to have taken me 2 months, which i don't think is too bad for someone who doesn't ordinarily read books

The DPRK

I'd like to read something like this again, but probably not as long. I really liked how insightful and diligent he was about describing certain feelings, and how he perceived things really clearly that were only on the edge of my awareness and brought them into full focus. Tbh I didn't care too much for the overly long sentences and paragraphs and at this point I am eager to get to the end of the story. Book recs welcome :)

Also really loved the funny, dysfunctional world he built but pays little mind to, like the mention of waste catapult and the fans is about as far as it goes without really the whole book being about the reconfiguration or whatever you call it. All the stuff what was on TV and who was a celebrity and what not, loved it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please

forums poster

The DPRK posted:

I'd like to read something like this again, but probably not as long. I really liked how insightful and diligent he was about describing certain feelings, and how he perceived things really clearly that were only on the edge of my awareness and brought them into full focus. Tbh I didn't care too much for the overly long sentences and paragraphs and at this point I am eager to get to the end of the story. Book recs welcome :)

Also really loved the funny, dysfunctional world he built but pays little mind to, like the mention of waste catapult and the fans is about as far as it goes without really the whole book being about the reconfiguration or whatever you call it. All the stuff what was on TV and who was a celebrity and what not, loved it

yeah, and there's a lot of kind of worldbuilding that gets hinted at in the beginning of the book that you don't really get the context for until later. after you finish the book, reread the endnote about J.O.I's filmography. it's great

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!