Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

TheReverend posted:

URGENT:

Impulse bought a 17lb packer.

What's the best way to cut it up for smaller servings of like ... Way less brisket

Do it you coward.

Dango Bango posted:

Billows is 20% off but I'd have to modify my Weber kettle for it. Don't really want a project especially for a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Someone talk me into it :getin:

Do it you coward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

TheReverend posted:

URGENT:

Impulse bought a 17lb packer.

What's the best way to cut it up for smaller servings of like ... Way less brisket

Cook the whole thing, get a vacuum packer and freeze what you don't want to serve. I must have 30-40 pounds of MEAT in my freezer at this point. I can just have ribs or pulled pork or brisket. It's really nice.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

um excuse me posted:

Cook the whole thing, get a vacuum packer and freeze what you don't want to serve. I must have 30-40 pounds of MEAT in my freezer at this point. I can just have ribs or pulled pork or brisket. It's really nice.

I need to do more of this, I finally got my chest freezer after about 3 months of waiting.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

um excuse me posted:

I normally only smoke one rack of ribs each time.

Is there any noticeable difference when you freeze and reheat the leftovers? How do you reheat them?

I’m thinking maybe I smoke 2-3 racks at a time and just freeze them if they taste pretty much the same.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Leave in the vacuum bag and reheat via sous vide is best IMO

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Enos Cabell posted:

I have not tried this but it definitely sounds like the best option.

I just reheat ribs in the oven with some sauce on top. I'm not too worried about loss of quality because I'm saving these for winter when it's not practical to run the smoker, but they taste fine to me.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Enos Cabell posted:

Sous vide is probably the best bet if you are going straight from frozen, but if you plan ahead a little bit they come out great just thawed in the fridge for a day and then reheated in a low oven (~300) with some sauce on top wrapped in foil.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
A sous vide circulator also rules for defrosting vacuum sealed uncooked meats.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

canyoneer posted:

A sous vide circulator also rules for defrosting vacuum sealed uncooked meats.

I’ve heard about this. What temp do you set it to defrost at though? You’d want to go straight to cooking it right-otherwise it’d be in the danger zone too long?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

nwin posted:

I’ve heard about this. What temp do you set it to defrost at though? You’d want to go straight to cooking it right-otherwise it’d be in the danger zone too long?

You can go straight to cook from frozen by adding about an hour to the cook time.

As far as defrosting, I just set my Anova to 32F and it just runs as a circulator until things thaw, usually 15-30m depending on size.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

toplitzin posted:

You can go straight to cook from frozen by adding about an hour to the cook time.

As far as defrosting, I just set my Anova to 32F and it just runs as a circulator until things thaw, usually 15-30m depending on size.

Yep, that's the idea. It's like the old "put it in a bowl under running water" method, but the circulator is doing the work for you instead of running the water the whole time

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

toplitzin posted:

I didn’t even think the anova would go that low-nice!

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Enos Cabell posted:

This definitely is the best option. Works best for pulled pork, pretty decent for pork ribs, and is the best option I've found for brisket, but still leaves a lot to be desired. Just can't find a way to re-heat brisket that leaves it anywhere close to the day-of experience.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Put leftover brisket in a chili, or slice it for sandwiches.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I smoked some chuck on the side while I was smoking a tritip. Then I tossed it in the fridge, cubed it, and made some chili with it the next day. It was fantastic.
:yum:

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Joining forces with my buddy that specializes in SUPER HOT peppers today!

Little butt just hit the smoker with some Apple wood. Trying lump charcoal for the first time. Will see what happens!

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Peppers are done!

My buddy tells me they are called “Fatalli Jigsaws” and “Big Yellow Mamma’s”.

Both are rated super hot according to him. We sprinkled some of the powder on some chips. Wow!!! Great smoky flavor and they are crazy hot!

....Pork butt is stuck in the stall.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Those peppers and that powder look delicious!

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
Did you need to dry the peppers out before blitzing?

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Fall Dog posted:

Did you need to dry the peppers out before blitzing?

Nope. Picked them and put them right on the smoker. They dried out completely after about 3-4 hours.

We also roasted some peppers with some onions and garlic and made a really good hot sauce.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Pork butt is done!

Obviously sprinkled the ground peppers and dabbed the hot sauce all over that sandwich. Will get a better picture of a sandwich tomorrow.

The switch to lump charcoal was a huge success. I will be using it exclusively from now on :thumbsup:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Pork butt is done!

Obviously sprinkled the ground peppers and dabbed the hot sauce all over that sandwich. Will get a better picture of a sandwich tomorrow.

The switch to lump charcoal was a huge success. I will be using it exclusively from now on :thumbsup:

What charcoal did you use and why did you like it?

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

nwin posted:

What charcoal did you use and why did you like it?

I used Cowboy brand. It’s pretty available at a lot of places around me.

It seemed to burn a little hotter than Kingsford briquettes. With my drafty smoker, that’s a plus. Also I noticed less ash accumulating, and temperature fluctuations seemed to be reduced.

Instead of going outside every 20 minutes to mess with the vents like usually do, I was out there maybe once an hour or less.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I used Cowboy brand. It’s pretty available at a lot of places around me.

It seemed to burn a little hotter than Kingsford briquettes. With my drafty smoker, that’s a plus. Also I noticed less ash accumulating, and temperature fluctuations seemed to be reduced.

Instead of going outside every 20 minutes to mess with the vents like usually do, I was out there maybe once an hour or less.

Interesting-I’m interested in less ash since kingsford seems to produce a lot which might make an overnight cook difficult for my wsm-thanks!

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Completely anecdotal but I’ve found that lump ashes way less and the higher quality you go the better it burns with less ash. Rockwood and Carbon del Sur are my favorites.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

I buy the Komodo joe lump because it's huge chunks and is available on Amazon.

I made reverse sear steaks yesterday night. I apologize for the terrible photos but I wanted to finally post something here.

Here are the mostly raw steaks being smoked. 1.5" t-bones. The flash basically just illuminated the smoke.

I smoke them to an internal temperature of 110 degrees (about 10-15 below your desired temp). Then you get your grill up to 600 degrees and sear them off

If you do it right you end up with desired doneness inside, nice hard sear outside, and no grey ring. I add cayenne to my steaks because I add cayenne to everything.

I use hickory for my steaks because it's tasty.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Why is it each and every time I mention to my wife that I intend to go to the ‘co to stock up on pork butt, does she come home from the grocery store with a gristly disgusting picnic shoulder that is half bone, half cartilage and half skin?

Speaking of ‘co, I found a decent pack of pork belly a few days ago, didn’t think to look at the actual tag. Got home and my wife remarks that the sliced/uncured belly was $3.99/lb, and I at that point noticed that the package I grabbed was marked as $5.99/lb tri tip. :argh:. Getting a refund on the difference after a quick phonecall to the store. Was supposed to be $2.99/lb. It IS a very nice slab though, and is currently in the maplebacon curing goop.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 20, 2020

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I like how every pork butt is different. Threw a 7 pounder in at 2:00 am on the MES set at 225.

Woke up at 8, saw it was sitting at 184 and I thought what the hell. Turns out is was the stall. Never had one stall that high.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
anyone ever done ribs with some Chinese-influenced rub/sauce? I throw lao gan ma on everything, I figure someone has tried this before.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

THE MACHO MAN posted:

anyone ever done ribs with some Chinese-influenced rub/sauce? I throw lao gan ma on everything, I figure someone has tried this before.

Whenever I get Chinese spare ribs in takeout I ask myself why I’ve never tried to make them myself on the smoker.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

THE MACHO MAN posted:

As someone who works in a Chinese/Texan fusion restaurant whose top selling dish is smoked brisket fried rice, I can say that yes, someone has done Chinese-influenced BBQ rub/sauce.

Our standard rub goes pretty much like this:

Salt
Brown Sugar
Thai+Tianjin chilies
Red Szechuan pepper
Black pepper
White pepper
Cumin
Garlic powder
Onion powder

Brush with a mix of soy sauce/molasses for better rub adhesion.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Can you run them both at the same time to see how much they differ?

Calling back to this because I did some ribs and ran the probes of both thermometers:

Definitely was a thermometer issue.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

A quick reminder that it's fairly easy to test a thermometer accuracy - just boil a large pot of water and put the sensor in that. It should be 212f, (+/- depending on altitudes).

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Alternatively put ice cubes in water and stir it for 10-15 seconds and the probe should read 32/33

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Alternatively, smoke ribs

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Doom Rooster posted:

As someone who works in a Chinese/Texan fusion restaurant whose top selling dish is smoked brisket fried rice, I can say that yes, someone has done Chinese-influenced BBQ rub/sauce.

Our standard rub goes pretty much like this:

Salt
Brown Sugar
Thai+Tianjin chilies
Red Szechuan pepper
Black pepper
White pepper
Cumin
Garlic powder
Onion powder

Brush with a mix of soy sauce/molasses for better rub adhesion.

I really expected to see star anise in there, and ginger!

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

I really expected to see star anise in there, and ginger!

Definitely. We get the sweet spices in via specific sauces for specific dishes though. Keeping the rub savory though allows it to be more general purpose.

If you wanted the rub to be the main/only flavor vector, I’d add that star anise and ginger, then a little cinnamon and a tiiiiinnnyyy bit of clove.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Pulled out 2.5lb of vacuum sealed smoked brisket flat and made the best chili of my life this weekend. Smoked brisket makes chili transcendent, holy poo poo.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Enos Cabell posted:

Pulled out 2.5lb of vacuum sealed smoked brisket flat and made the best chili of my life this weekend. Smoked brisket makes chili transcendent, holy poo poo.

I did this a while back and you are correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Enos Cabell posted:

You neglected to state if you used beans or not. :colbert: