Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Got my 3080 from nvidia us a little while ago! So far, so good.

Meshify-C:

I'll figure out where fans are going later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

jisforjosh posted:

Didn't see it posted here but based on the Tech Jesus live stream the EVGA FTW3 at stock is about 2.5% faster than the ASUS TUF at Stock in Port Royal and is power limited near 400 watts with the 3x8 pin.

Any word on acoustics?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Perfect Potato posted:

I put an order in for a backordered TUF oc just to be done with this poo poo, it'll show up when it shows up
Same for the non-OC. Hope it'll make it before Star Wars Squadrons, because of VR and supersampling. Regardless, I hope it'll definitely make it for Watchdogs.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Kragger99 posted:

Not sure if it's been posted yet, but I was able to place an order (Note: the item is listed as on backorder) for a Strix 3080 on Memoryexpress.com (the store I get most of my PC stuff). Supposed to ship when they get stock - says a few days currently, but who knows when it will be. This might be for Canadian Goons only though.

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Search/Products?Search=3080

Edit: VVV Yup - figured. Canuck Goons only VVV

I called in to my local store and they put me on a waiting list for a card. But I also backordered one through their online shop, not sure why they’re doing both.

We’ll see how long it takes to fulfill, all of the memexpress stores in Canada had 4 cards total (like 10 stores?)

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Incessant Excess posted:

Any word on acoustics?
i haven't heard of a 3080 with noticeably bad acoustics so far, there have been some mentions of coil whine on FE but that was at 2500+fps

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

phosdex posted:

Meshify-C:

Should probably be using two different cables for power, because of waste heat on the cables themselves.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Kragger99 posted:

Not sure if it's been posted yet, but I was able to place an order (Note: the item is listed as on backorder) for a Strix 3080 on Memoryexpress.com (the store I get most of my PC stuff). Supposed to ship when they get stock - says a few days currently, but who knows when it will be. This might be for Canadian Goons only though.

Thanks for the heads up on this.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
One thing about scalping that sort of sucks even more is, If something is being scalped, scalpers buy it up from retailers. Obviously. But then as more stock comes in, scalpers carry on buying it. I think once scalpers have decided that something is profitable, they'll carry on buying it and making it go out of stock, after it becomes more available, so something being scalped makes it more likely to be scalped more. That still artificially creates a shortage and they can still profit from it. We saw this with the ring fit. More and more stock was added until finally the scalpers were defeated by a massive supply. I would say 'allowing pre-orders before stock is there would defeat this', but then the scalpers would then buy up the entire run of the 3000 series throughout its lifespan, and effectively make themselves the middlemen for all 3000 transactions (I don't think this is actually the case but it'll probably almost be true, or be true for a while. Scalpers will only stop doing it once it becomes 'not worth it' and worst case for them is they'll only be able to sell something new for its full value)

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Incessant Excess posted:

Any word on acoustics?

No, since this was a live stream of trying to test overclocking limits he explicitly stated that you should not be using the video to make purchasing decisions and didn't include any acoustics

EVGA FTW3 - 12460 Graphics score Port Royal @+500mhz +50 Core & max Powerdraw (baseline 100% power draw on the FTW3 is higher than most other cards, EVGA rep on stream stated their FTW3 108% power target is closer to 120% of an FE but who knows)

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Ersatz posted:

Was this through an American site? Would be quite happy to do the same if I had the option.

memoryexpress that was already posted about

Combat Pretzel posted:

Same for the non-OC. Hope it'll make it before Star Wars Squadrons, because of VR and supersampling. Regardless, I hope it'll definitely make it for Watchdogs.

I would have gone with the non oc too but the oc one is what everyone's reviewing and i'm not getting burned on that poo poo again. Bought a 275r case non tempered and non tempered apparently also means let's strip out top side air filters while we're at it

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.

redreader posted:

One thing about scalping that sort of sucks even more is, If something is being scalped, scalpers buy it up from retailers. Obviously. But then as more stock comes in, scalpers carry on buying it. I think once scalpers have decided that something is profitable, they'll carry on buying it and making it go out of stock, after it becomes more available, so something being scalped makes it more likely to be scalped more. That still artificially creates a shortage and they can still profit from it. We saw this with the ring fit. More and more stock was added until finally the scalpers were defeated by a massive supply. I would say 'allowing pre-orders before stock is there would defeat this', but then the scalpers would then buy up the entire run of the 3000 series throughout its lifespan, and effectively make themselves the middlemen for all 3000 transactions (I don't think this is actually the case but it'll probably almost be true, or be true for a while. Scalpers will only stop doing it once it becomes 'not worth it' and worst case for them is they'll only be able to sell something new for its full value)

The simple solution is to be patient and not buy from scalpers. If they get stuck with stock they can't move it's a bust.

Thankfully bid auctions are being destroyed by angry nerds which only leaves buy it now re-sales. Just ignore them and in a few weeks everything will be swell. Unfortunately for every savvy consumer there are 100+ gimps.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
Are any of the AIB cards 2-slot (and not 2.2-slot or some nonsense) like the FE ones?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I love how if you google RTX 3080 it returns a ton of 2080 results. I saw the in stock thing on Newegg and almost pulled the trigger in a panic before I double checked.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

mik posted:

Are any of the AIB cards 2-slot (and not 2.2-slot or some nonsense) like the FE ones?

Most of the 3080's are pretty beefy. Maybe 3070's coming next month? There's even some dual fan models at that level.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Kragger99 posted:

I have an order in with Mike's Computer Shop. Did Memory Express charge you upfront?

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Apparently I've been running my 1070 on pcie x8 and didnt notice for months.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

phosdex posted:

Meshify-C:

Top front fan centered on the CPU heat sink, bottom front fan as low as it can go (like resting on the PSU shroud) so the GPU fans can suck the cool intake air. Having the fan blow on the edge of the card doesn't really do anything, especially when it's just a thick piece of trim like the FE cards.

IRL airflow isn't in pretty straight lines, but in general you do want a clean path from the intake air to whatever CPU/GPU fan is supposed to suck it in.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Martian Manfucker posted:

I have an order in with Mike's Computer Shop. Did Memory Express charge you upfront?

They did for me.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Martian Manfucker posted:

Charged up front. I hope that means when they get stock (assuming they get enough to fill the orders ahead of me, and mine), I'll get it shipped quickly. Then again, it could take weeks. A bit of a gamble, but I feel 10% better now that I have an official order in somewhere.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

krursk posted:

The simple solution is to be patient and not buy from scalpers. If they get stuck with stock they can't move it's a bust.

Thankfully bid auctions are being destroyed by angry nerds which only leaves buy it now re-sales. Just ignore them and in a few weeks everything will be swell. Unfortunately for every savvy consumer there are 100+ gimps.

Yeah, the scalpers are just small time bot runners who are doing this because there's extremely high demand and extremely low supply, and a window to exploit that. In order to buy up all the stock Nvidia and partners can produce then you'd have to have an absolutely vast amount of capital on hand.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Alchenar posted:

Yeah, the scalpers are just small time bot runners who are doing this because there's extremely high demand and extremely low supply, and a window to exploit that. In order to buy up all the stock Nvidia and partners can produce then you'd have to have an absolutely vast amount of capital on hand.

These are folks who will routinely spend 600$ to make 40$ in profit. They will push this video card stuff as long as they can.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

When 9900K paper-launched, I backordered with Memory Express. I think the timeline was similar - September on paper, October for realsies, and I got my CPU late November? The problem with Memory Express is that it was more expensive, they didn't have any kind of order status or even a prediction of when it would come in. It basically disappeared into a void until it showed up.

I do hear they are taking reservations in-store though, without any money down, they'll just sell it to the next guy if you don't pick it up in 48hr. Same with Canada Computers. Pre-pay online, not in-store.

Personally I prefer Canada Computers but both retailers are kinda bad at e-commerce and have very self-protective return policies (i.e. none unless it's broken). Can be a bit jarring if you're used to Amazon shipping in a few days, tracking it the whole time and no-questions-asked returns.

This is all for Canadians of course. Americans would be foolish to buy from a Canadian retailer, we have far less stock for everything all the time, being 1/10 the population and all.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Rubellavator posted:

Apparently I've been running my 1070 on pcie x8 and didnt notice for months.

How did you check that? You have to do it under load, power saving will deactivate lanes.
Only way that could really happen is if you put it in the 'wrong' slot (rtfm) or you're using some cheap APU that doesn't have the lanes to support a 16x addon card.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 19, 2020

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.

Sickening posted:

These are folks who will routinely spend 600$ to make 40$ in profit. They will push this video card stuff as long as they can.

Not the same but I'm familiar with a group of garage sale flippers in my locale. They all spend an obscene amount of time and effort to get the scoop and be first in place at garage/estate sales to make the occasional large-margin-flip. They make sub retail wages and live like pensioners but all have a proud story of "I bought X for 10 bux and sold it for $250 after getting some info on a deceased yard sale". It's all about the dopamine hit of the hunt I think.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Perfect Potato posted:

I would have gone with the non oc too but the oc one is what everyone's reviewing and i'm not getting burned on that poo poo again. Bought a 275r case non tempered and non tempered apparently also means let's strip out top side air filters while we're at it
Going by Caseking, both the non-OC and OC ones both listed TBA as boost clock for a while, eventually the non-OC got updated, the OC still not. To me that suggests the non-OC will be available first.

As far as getting burned, what do you mean?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

UK peeps, are you checking for stock at 2PM still or 6-7AM now?

e: if one good thing comes out of this it'll be fixing my sleep schedule.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

redreader posted:

The only practical solution to this, I feel, is not giving scalpers enough time to think or prepare. If Nvidia and the AIBs had been ready to go, Nvidia could have presumably orchestrated preordering (or ordering) to begin at the end of their recent keynote. Hardcore gamers - real customers - would’ve been following it anyway, so they would’ve been the ones who would’ve stood to benefit.

As it was they said “these cards are awesome, cost half as much as the previous gen and are faster, so everyone is going to be desperate for them. You’ll be able to preorder them in a couple of weeks from our website, which you can now spend all your time getting your bots in place to exploit”

It boggles the mind that time and time again companies seem to completely underestimate the determination and resourcefulness of people who stand to make a significant profit if they can get as much stock as possible. Nvidia could’ve done the bare minimum and frustrated casual botters and scalpers, but instead they left their website to run off of the Digital Ocean system as per usual, which is purpose built to offload e-commerce stuff to APIs, a perfect vector for automated abuse.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Pivo posted:

When 9900K paper-launched, I backordered with Memory Express. I think the timeline was similar - September on paper, October for realsies, and I got my CPU late November? The problem with Memory Express is that it was more expensive, they didn't have any kind of order status or even a prediction of when it would come in. It basically disappeared into a void until it showed up.

I do hear they are taking reservations in-store though, without any money down, they'll just sell it to the next guy if you don't pick it up in 48hr. Same with Canada Computers. Pre-pay online, not in-store.

Personally I prefer Canada Computers but both retailers are kinda bad at e-commerce and have very self-protective return policies (i.e. none unless it's broken). Can be a bit jarring if you're used to Amazon shipping in a few days, tracking it the whole time and no-questions-asked returns.

This is all for Canadians of course. Americans would be foolish to buy from a Canadian retailer, we have far less stock for everything all the time, being 1/10 the population and all.

Canada computers not letting you order online actually makes it easier to pre-order and get a chance to get one because the number of people or scalpers potentially after it is reduced just by having to show up at the store.
On the 17th there were maybe like 20 people on the list Canada wide for my SKU. Also they made me pay up front for my order. Was it different for you? They printed out an invoice and told me this is my ticket, if I lose it my deposit and card are gone.

My friend was so jealous he told me that Canada Computers would bump my order down the list as much as possible to favour their own people and insiders before I get mine.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Not a bad sign if EVGA alone is delivering thousands of cards this upcoming week.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

Should probably be using two different cables for power, because of waste heat on the cables themselves.

Good idea.

So I've got a 650W power supply, a Corsair RM650i. It's got a connector that I plugin to my motherboard and then utils can read a couple stats out of it. Thus far, the max draw according to that is 524W.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

phosdex posted:

Good idea.

So I've got a 650W power supply, a Corsair RM650i. It's got a connector that I plugin to my motherboard and then utils can read a couple stats out of it. Thus far, the max draw according to that is 524W.

drat that's cutting it kinda close. And I wanna keep my OC on my 3700X. I'm gonna get a 750 or something.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Durzel posted:

The only practical solution to this, I feel, is not giving scalpers enough time to think or prepare. If Nvidia and the AIBs had been ready to go, Nvidia could have presumably orchestrated preordering (or ordering) to begin at the end of their recent keynote. Hardcore gamers - real customers - would’ve been following it anyway, so they would’ve been the ones who would’ve stood to benefit.

As it was they said “these cards are awesome, cost half as much as the previous gen and are faster, so everyone is going to be desperate for them. You’ll be able to preorder them in a couple of weeks from our website, which you can now spend all your time getting your bots in place to exploit”

It boggles the mind that time and time again companies seem to completely underestimate the determination and resourcefulness of people who stand to make a significant profit if they can get as much stock as possible. Nvidia could’ve done the bare minimum and frustrated casual botters and scalpers, but instead they left their website to run off of the Digital Ocean system as per usual, which is purpose built to offload e-commerce stuff to APIs, a perfect vector for automated abuse.

nVidia is benefiting from this. People are seeing massive demand and it's triggering their desire to grab a card when they possibly can. It's a feature that things appear so out of stock that people are scrambling to pay way over MSRP from scalpers

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Taima posted:

Not a bad sign if EVGA alone is delivering thousands of cards this upcoming week.

Yeah I'm going to try for the next several weeks before I try some EVGA step up action

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

It’s strange that nvidia isn’t allowing pre-orders in the US, especially for the AIB cards. Every nvidia launch is seemingly completely different (weirdly), but they did allow preorders for the Turing launch. You would think they would want interest free loans and exact knowledge of the demand to manage production.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i assume nvidia could mostly curtail it by just releasing the cards at $400 more and consistently dropping the premium over two months, but then they're basically subsuming the frustration against scalpers into their own PR

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Shipon posted:

nVidia is benefiting from this. People are seeing massive demand and it's triggering their desire to grab a card when they possibly can. It's a feature that things appear so out of stock that people are scrambling to pay way over MSRP from scalpers
Ehhh are they? Nvidia isn’t seeing any of that scalper profits, but it sure as poo poo is copping the negative PR from appearing to not give a crap about it’s “true customers” (which may be true)

No one is going to feel positive about paying scalper rates for one of these cards when Nvidia is advertising an RRP of $699/£649 and couldn’t manage to have them in stock on their website for more than a couple of seconds, and sent out emails 40 minutes after they launched (or not at all) to people who asked to be notified, so they could go and see for themselves that they already missed out 39 minutes and 58 seconds ago.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is this just insane demand, or did they also have production/ distribution issues?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Kraftwerk posted:

Also they made me pay up front for my order.

I’m going by what people said online and past experience. It might be different store to store. I’ve usually been able to reserve things just with a name and number at the downtown Toronto location so what people said online agreed with my experience. Sorry if I mislead it wasn’t my intent.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Rinkles posted:

Is this just insane demand, or did they also have production/ distribution issues?

According to the gamers nexus guy, it's pretty much insane demand. They spoke with distributors who basically said they had stock and is about what they had for previous generations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Verviticus posted:

i assume nvidia could mostly curtail it by just releasing the cards at $400 more and consistently dropping the premium over two months, but then they're basically subsuming the frustration against scalpers into their own PR

This is correct. Nvidia didn’t charge enough and scalpers are poaching the surplus.

The only way to actually charge a lower than market-clearing amount and assure that actual gamers got the product would be to do in-person transactions. But it’s 2020 so…yeah…

Random bad idea: escrow. You pay $10 or $50 or $100 to enter a queue or raffle. If your number gets picked, you get a card at $price minus your escrow. If it doesn’t, you are refunded your money. Charge enough where, individually, folks have enough capital to float that for a week or two, whereas a botter won’t due to aggregation effects.

Yes, it’s an interest free loan, but that’s kind of the point. It has to be expensive at scale.