Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Akuma posted:

I spent ten minutes editing this post to make sure I don't say too much but one platform has been exceptionally better than the other in helping us ship very, very popular existing IP and it's really annoying in my day to day.

"Star Wars developer trashes next gen PlayStation dev tools"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

Going into 'next-gen' I just can't see any rationale for why you would by an Xbox. It has zero games you can't get somewhere else, and multiplat game will realistically run pretty much the same as the PS5 if not worse because devs will target the leading system. Gamepass has less games on it than PSnow. All the studios Microsoft bought up will take years to produce anything.

Meanwhile the PS5 has got a whole new Spider-Man game and demon souls at launch. Why would any sane person buy an Xbox after all the gently caress ups in the last 7-8 years?

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Bad Parenting posted:

Going into 'next-gen' I just can't see any rationale for why you would by an Xbox. It has zero games you can't get somewhere else, and multiplat game will realistically run pretty much the same as the PS5 if not worse because devs will target the leading system. Gamepass has less games on it than PSnow. All the studios Microsoft bought up will take years to produce anything.

Meanwhile the PS5 has got a whole new Spider-Man game and demon souls at launch. Why would any sane person buy an Xbox after all the gently caress ups in the last 7-8 years?

Gamepass and cheaper entry. Econo-console (not saying it's gonna do well, but it does at least have a reason to exist this generation, unlike the last go around)

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

It also lets you play Xbox One games in authentic 900p

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Dropping $500 to get ground floor on next gen so I can spend the next year paying monthly to play catalogue games using back compat

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

I have gamepass on pc and it's a nice supliment to the games I buy on Steam/get through humble monthlies/get free from epic or twitch and so on, but I would not want to rely on it as my only source of games. I got an Xbox one X about 6 months ago and it's been turned on less than 10 times, and i don't see what would be different if I had a series s or x

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

Bad Parenting posted:

Miles Morales is releasing on PS4 and Demon's Souls is obviously a timed exclusive

meanwhile xbox has the best controller, best console design, best airflow, battletoads, rare replay, sea of thieves and is backed by phil spencer

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

BoosterDuck posted:

Miles Morales is releasing on PS4 and Demon's Souls is obviously a timed exclusive

meanwhile xbox has the best controller, best console design, best airflow, battletoads, rare replay, sea of thieves and is backed by phil spencer

Didn’t the new Battletoads flop pretty hard?

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

Ok Comboomer posted:

Didn’t the new Battletoads flop pretty hard?

looks good to me

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I played one level of battletoads and got to a boss battle that seemed like I wasn't doing any damage in, so I uninstalled it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

If America's Console is defeated then America is defeated, and America cannot be defeated

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

BoosterDuck posted:

Demon's Souls is obviously a timed exclusive

What are you on about? There are no plans for it releasing on anything else (the indication it might come to PC was an error).

I mean, I guess it's not technically an exclusive since PS3.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

BoosterDuck posted:

this isn't how the demon souls ip works at all - it's not timed in the slightest. it was exclusive to the ps3 and sony hired bluepoint to do the remake to ps5 in their engine. the original was co-developed between fromsoft and sie japan studio, there's zero chance in the next five years of it moving outside of the playstation ecosystem

there was a trailer fuckup in the most recent reveal, but the game isn't being ported elsewhere the financial incentives just don't add up

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

BoosterDuck posted:

also ms is the only one offering a console in black

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

We are getting a series x because my wife loves Forza Horizons and I want a new console. It's literally the only game she enjoys for some dumb reason, so whatever. Works for me.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

this isn't how the demon souls ip works at all - it's not timed in the slightest. it was exclusive to the ps3 and sony hired bluepoint to do the remake to ps5 in their engine. the original was co-developed between fromsoft and sie japan studio, there's zero chance in the next five years of it moving outside of the playstation ecosystem

there was a trailer fuckup in the most recent reveal, but the game isn't being ported elsewhere the financial incentives just don't add up

weren't hzd, death stranding, journey and the david cage games bankrolled by sony too

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

TheScott2K posted:

If America's Console is defeated then America is defeated, and America cannot be defeated

Who's gonna tell them

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

BoosterDuck posted:

C'mon now I asked a serious question please don't troll

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Happy Hedonist posted:

We are getting a series x because my wife loves Forza Horizons and I want a new console. It's literally the only game she enjoys for some dumb reason, so whatever. Works for me.

There is no new Forza Horizon on the...erm...horizon

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

TheScott2K posted:

She just wants to play 4 and I just want her off my loving PC.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

TheScott2K posted:

I wonder if there is more DLC on the way or if they’re working on a proper sequel? Playground games got bored and are now doing a new non-car related IP, but that’s years out I’m sure.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Why didn't they do some special Minecraft thing for the new Xbox? Seems dumb. The game is stupid popular again, why not take advantage of that.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

They were making a 4K texture pack for the One X and couldn't get it to work so they just gave up.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

They were making a 4K texture pack for the One X and couldn't get it to work so they just gave up.

what would a 4K Minecraft texture pack even look like?

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

lol sounds about right.

Nvidia made a fork with support for ray tracing and poo poo but MS can't develop an equivalent build for their new console.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

BoosterDuck posted:

it isnt

also the series x cooling design looks absolutely horrible

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

BoosterDuck posted:

weren't hzd, death stranding, journey and the david cage games bankrolled by sony too

how about the other 75 games that havnt had any ports. youre pointing to a trend from 3 third party devs and a single sony owned and developed franchise.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Rinkles posted:

also ms is the only one offering a console in black

Stand by for aftermarket replacement plates to make ps5 any color
Gonna hope for xbox themed ones

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Stux posted:

how about the other 75 games that havnt had any ports. youre pointing to a trend from 3 third party devs and a single sony owned and developed franchise.

it is what it is. everyone has to decide for themselves whether that's a good enough indication that they don't have to buy a playstation to continue playing playstation games.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Stand by for aftermarket replacement plates to make ps5 any color
Gonna hope for xbox themed ones

Even before then there'll probably be an active market for plate painting/buying pre-painted plates like there was for the 360's faceplate.

Gonna get one side with Master Chief, other side with my boy Mario and all his friends

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The only playstation game I want is Ratchet and Clank and thats not enough to buy a console for at the moment, and I use a shitload of gamepass to play things like Spiritfarer, Monster Hunter, Momodora etc. that I'd absolutely never have played otherwise and PSNow didn't deliver the same value.

As a note; don't aim consumer products at me because I was the target user for the Bone and hoooboy that wasn't a good play.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Barudak posted:

As a note; don't aim consumer products at me because I was the target user for the Bone and hoooboy that wasn't a good play.

4+ magical years using OneGuide, Kinect, and the usb tv tuner

Thank you Don Mattrick

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

TheScott2K posted:

4+ magical years using OneGuide, Kinect, and the usb tv tuner

Thank you Don Mattrick

you forgot snap

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Stux posted:

you forgot snap

Nah that always sucked rear end. Everyone has a phone!

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Bad Parenting posted:

Is PSnow actually good? This is the first I've ever seen it named better than gamepass. I've got a ton of value out of gamepass across pc/bone so that's prob the biggest reason I'm getting the new xbox.

really though, it barely makes any sense to buy either of the new consoles for at least a year. I'm doing it because it's basically the only hobby I spend money on.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ultrachrist posted:

Is PSnow actually good? This is the first I've ever seen it named better than gamepass. I've got a ton of value out of gamepass across pc/bone so that's prob the biggest reason I'm getting the new xbox.

really though, it barely makes any sense to buy either of the new consoles for at least a year. I'm doing it because it's basically the only hobby I spend money on.

PSNow is not really that good. IMO it’s definitely not something you’d stay subscribed to for months on end.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

D1E posted:

Microsoft has mastered the art of selling new hardware to nostalgic nerds who just want to keep playing their Xbox Live Arcade games at increasingly higher resolutions on their new televisions.

This is also me and now I feel even dumber that I already did. I’m gonna pay $500 to play Feeding Frenzy upscaled and at 120fps.

I know it’s impossible but I want Game Room back. :(

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
remember illumiroom

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Stux posted:

remember illumiroom

I kinda wish that had been released.