Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

brosef posted:

So he's both Knull and Void?

This will 100% be used in the event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

brosef posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHoNWwhzh3M

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

brosef posted:

Ugh

Mods?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Stole the joke from the mods even

brosef
Jan 19, 2009

site posted:

Stole the joke from the mods even

We all stole it from 2018 Donny Cates's brain, probably.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

brosef posted:

Thank you for being so brave

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

confession: every time I see the name Knull I want to finish it with "the Conquerer" until I remind myself that's a different character

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Alaois posted:

confession: every time I see the name Knull I want to finish it with "the Conquerer" until I remind myself that's a different character

This should be the actual stupid twist.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i can't honestly tell knull and the redesigned marvel dracula apart. i think they are the same person?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The Knull Void idea is so loving stupid I'm going to mad if it doesn't actually happen.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i can't honestly tell knull and the redesigned marvel dracula apart. i think they are the same person?

The way to tell them apart is that Knull sucks and is boring whereas Dracula is awesome and cool.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

rantmo posted:

The way to tell them apart is that Knull sucks and is boring whereas Dracula is awesome and cool.

original marvel dracula was awesome and cool. the revamped version is hella lame.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am finally starting to get caught up in comics and I loved people being thirsty at Carols half sister.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

original marvel dracula was awesome and cool. the revamped version is hella lame.

70s Dracula or Bust Howard Chaykins tracksuit Dracula is allowed, on a limited basis.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

The best Dracula is the Dracula who got clowned by Marvel UK.

DigitalRaven fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 20, 2020

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Captain Britain and the MI 13 Dracula attacking the UK from the Moon is also pretty boss.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

:hmmyes:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Just started getting my order ready for this month, and I don't know what the gently caress to do about Eternals and its nearly 40 different covers. Based on the traditional popularity of the characters this is likely going to be a huge flop, but I am personally a Gillen fan so it might even be good. I think I can get a lot of my regulars to try the first issue, but pre-orders have been near zero so far.

40 covers though, good lord. Someone really things the movie is going to do something, I guess.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Just started getting my order ready for this month, and I don't know what the gently caress to do about Eternals and its nearly 40 different covers. Based on the traditional popularity of the characters this is likely going to be a huge flop, but I am personally a Gillen fan so it might even be good. I think I can get a lot of my regulars to try the first issue, but pre-orders have been near zero so far.

40 covers though, good lord. Someone really things the movie is going to do something, I guess.

That doesn't sound much different than when I was doing the order 3 years ago. Always 20+ covers on books the store would be lucky to move 5 copies of.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
I have some hope that this incarnation of the Eternals is going to be good but I don't know anyone who is excited about it. Anyone I've talked to about it is very skeptical and "maybe I'll pick it up later." I'm usually big on picking up variants of first issues for my personal collection but I only preordered the regular cover. Most of the covers do look really good but there are just too many options and too high a chance of the book being a total bomb.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Lord_Hambrose posted:

70s Dracula or Bust Howard Chaykins tracksuit Dracula is allowed, on a limited basis.

I had to look this up, what the gently caress happened to Chaykin? I was only familiar with his Marvel stuff from like 13-15 years ago and it was easily some of the worst art is encountered.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Lawlicaust posted:

I have some hope that this incarnation of the Eternals is going to be good but I don't know anyone who is excited about it. Anyone I've talked to about it is very skeptical and "maybe I'll pick it up later." I'm usually big on picking up variants of first issues for my personal collection but I only preordered the regular cover. Most of the covers do look really good but there are just too many options and too high a chance of the book being a total bomb.

I basically was begging people to read Gillens Journey Into Mystery but nobody would bite for the most part. At this point his Darth Vader was years ago, and Die and Wicked and Divine don't exactly light my shelves on fire sales wise. I think I have had more people sign up for his new 40k comic than Eternals.

The 40 covers thing just feels so desperate for attention, and honestly rightly so. If it had been normal book with one or two covers I would just get 15 copies and call it a day. As it stands now I know that I can sell the 1:50 Peach Momoko to one of the totally deranged modern speculation guys for a shameful amount of money, and as a heavily pushed #1 I think people might actually try it for an issue or two.

I have been jaded about the big companies doing more that two or three covers for a while now, but this along with Detective 1027 and Amazing 49 have me almost Jokerized.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Eternals has always been a weird sell. Even Gaiman's miniseries didn't set the world on fire because like Sandman readers aren't going to care a lot about a very minor part of the MU, and the mini itself was just kind of whatever anyway. With Gillen writing it I'm sure it'll be fine, but... it's the Eternals. Also known as "No, you're thinking of the Inhumans."

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I basically was begging people to read Gillens Journey Into Mystery but nobody would bite for the most part. At this point his Darth Vader was years ago, and Die and Wicked and Divine don't exactly light my shelves on fire sales wise. I think I have had more people sign up for his new 40k comic than Eternals.

the 40k comic is a lot more attention grabbing

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I had to look this up, what the gently caress happened to Chaykin? I was only familiar with his Marvel stuff from like 13-15 years ago and it was easily some of the worst art is encountered.

He got lazy and started doing all his art in markers for reasons no one understands.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
He's almost 70, it's possible they're easier on his hands.

But yeah, Chaykin is a weird donut hole where he did some genuinely great work that was out of print for a long time and then he came back and did not genuinely not good work in the 2000s so that's his enduring legacy in the eyes of a lot of modern readers.

To tie it back to the Eternals, there was a period in late 70s/early 80s fanzines where a generation of readers (before back catalogs were eternally in print) who were making GBS threads all over Kirby on the basis of Devil Dinosaur and Eternals and Captain Victory, and I'm sure some of them either genuinely believed it or were being iconoclastic, but a significant plurality had never read his 1960s Marvel and early 1970s DC work and were kind of wondering why this guy gets so much acclaim.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

To tie it back to the Eternals, there was a period in late 70s/early 80s fanzines where a generation of readers (before back catalogs were eternally in print) who were making GBS threads all over Kirby on the basis of Devil Dinosaur and Eternals and Captain Victory, and I'm sure some of them either genuinely believed it or were being iconoclastic, but a significant plurality had never read his 1960s Marvel and early 1970s DC work and were kind of wondering why this guy gets so much acclaim.

I remember Chris Sims of Comics Alliance once telling me that he reckoned everybody started off thinking of Kirby as the guy who drew ugly faces and then at a certain point a switch is flipped and you just get it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I had customers as recently as 2016 who thought Kirby's art was poo poo.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

What'd you do with the bodies?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rhyno posted:

15 year old me thought Jack Kirby sucked rear end. Are these people all teenagers? Cause that would track for me. Teens are dumb.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vince MechMahon posted:

15 year old me thought Jack Kirby sucked rear end. Are these people all teenagers? Cause that would track for me. Teens are dumb.

Most were adults who still suck the teet of McFarland and Lee. One in particular I had to toss out because he wouldn't stop saying the n-word in reference to Sam Wilson becoming Captain America.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Edge & Christian posted:

But yeah, Chaykin is a weird donut hole where he did some genuinely great work that was out of print for a long time and then he came back and did not genuinely not good work in the 2000s so that's his enduring legacy in the eyes of a lot of modern readers.

I had a similar thing happen with Larry Stroman, Jay & Miles were raving about his art in the old X-Factor issues but all I remembered was when he came back to the X-Factor Investigations era and had this super weird, terrible art with grotesquely exaggerated people. It wasn't until I went back and looked at his older stuff that I understood the love.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Gil Kane went entirely to sharpie in his later days, I never made the connection to his aging hands but it makes sense now.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Rhyno posted:

Most were adults who still suck the teet of McFarland and Lee. One in particular I had to toss out because he wouldn't stop saying the n-word in reference to Sam Wilson becoming Captain America.

I grew up reading the black and white Marvel phonebooks and I really can't stand the 90s era art. It's a good thing I never had money to buy comics as a kid or I'm sure I'd be a big McFarlane fan.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

Gil Kane went entirely to sharpie in his later days, I never made the connection to his aging hands but it makes sense now.

Yeah. It's the same thing with Howard Chaykin these days.

Cloks posted:

I grew up reading the black and white Marvel phonebooks and I really can't stand the 90s era art. It's a good thing I never had money to buy comics as a kid or I'm sure I'd be a big McFarlane fan.

And forget it if you were of the right age AND reading Wizard. McFarlane I liked at the time, but Jim Lee was it thanks to his X-Men work already.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Sad Howard Chaykin hasn't gotten around to doing the next series of Satellite Sam with Matt Fraction, nor do I expect he ever will.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Dawgstar posted:

I remember Chris Sims of Comics Alliance once telling me that he reckoned everybody started off thinking of Kirby as the guy who drew ugly faces and then at a certain point a switch is flipped and you just get it.

He's right in my case. In my teenage years I thought it looked old fashioned and dumb and not very dynamic or exciting (this was during the early 90s, so enough said I guess). Years later that turned to "hahaha look at Galactus in his giant purple hat talkin' poo poo, hahaha this rules"

Dawgstar posted:

And forget it if you were of the right age AND reading Wizard. McFarlane I liked at the time, but Jim Lee was it thanks to his X-Men work already.

I actually still really dig McFarlane Spidey :shobon:
Remember when Wizard jizzed themselves embarrassingly over Stephen Platt?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

As a teen I never got the appeal of Kirby.
I just saw his stuff as being the same ugly looking people over and over again, and the stories heavily leaned into "white than white hats and blacker than black hats."*

And as a teen I hated Frank Quietly's work.
It was only when I read All Star Superman that I understood that there was huge layers to his story being that it's easy to miss because all the people look like they have had reverse liposuction.

During the weekend I was watching this documentary on Netflix called "They've Got yo Have Us."
And it is all about the rise in Black Cinema and in particular how Black Panther plays in that and how amazing the idea of Wakanda is.

But if you are familiar with Kirby's work the idea of Wakanda (this awesome and hidden culture) was a trope he loved. It's cool to see that it's one that connects with audiences. (Which I believe was why Harry Potter was so successful. )

*= I think Might God King is right. If it hadn't been for Stan Lee the world would not know anything about Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko or John Romita.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I grew up with the Lee X-Men and a little bit of McFarlane's Spidey (shipping was irregular to my part of the world back in the day). Lee's still one of my favourite artists (at least he was when I read Hush) but I can't really look at McFarlane anymore.

I never liked Kirby though. I'm not going to insult the guy or his importance to the industry, I just never felt particularly strongly about anything he ever did. I freaking love George Perez though, whom I often hear compared to Kirby; Avengers/JLA is probably what got me interested in comics alongside Bendis' Avengers run shortly after. I feel like he's the farthest back I can go though because anytime I try to get into the work of anyone who came before him it just leaves me feeling very little.

That said the artist dearest to my heart is still Richard Elson from the UK's Sonic The Comic so I'm very much speaking for myself here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I actually still really dig McFarlane Spidey :shobon:
Remember when Wizard jizzed themselves embarrassingly over Stephen Platt?

Oh, wow. Platt was the superstar for like a month. Here's a fun read on it, watching how HAM they go pushing his Moon Knight stuff out of nowhere.

https://www.cbr.com/moon-knight-stephen-platt-marvel-comics-prophet/

His style is like some weird blend of Liefeld and McFarlane. I haven't seen it in years. The look down the top ten is also a hilarious trip down comics memory lane.

The Question IRL posted:

*= I think Might God King is right. If it hadn't been for Stan Lee the world would not know anything about Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko or John Romita.

Lee is interesting in that he's simultaneously overrated and underrated. Or to put the way I heard somebody like Mark Evanier say, "Jack gave the characters their divinity, Stan their humanity."