Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I had the soft top on my NA replaced last fall. Kept it up all winter to stretch. I still basically can't get it to attach back after lowering it, without another friend pulling as hard as they can. Is there a trick to this? It's frustrating as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Park it in the sun

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
You can extend the latches by opening then and popping out a tab which exposes a threaded rod.

But the same thing happened to me, new top was hard as gently caress to close for quite a while, needed two people and muscle sometimes.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Phone posted:

Park it in the sun

This doesn't really help putting it up on a regular basis though.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

ShaneB posted:

This doesn't really help putting it up on a regular basis though.

It does, eventually. When it gets hotter, it stretches out more easily and will deform a bit to make it fit better.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Elysium posted:

You can extend the latches by opening then and popping out a tab which exposes a threaded rod.

But the same thing happened to me, new top was hard as gently caress to close for quite a while, needed two people and muscle sometimes.

I think you may have just saved my relationship with this car.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I suspect my clutch master cylinder went out on Friday. I noticed as I was driving home from work that the clutch was engaging closer and closer to the floor. It got to the point where the transmission was super notchy on every shift, then it got to where I couldn't get it into second from first. Then I couldn't get it into first from a stop. I pumped the pedal a few times and that gave me some clutching ability, but I basically had to run 3 stop signs to get home because I was so close.

I'm really hoping it was the master or slave cylinders, because if that FM happy meal clutch poo poo the bed I'm going to be a very sad panda. I just wonder why the stupid things would fail so quickly. The master has like 3k miles on it and the slave maybe 600. I wish I could buy nicer stuff, but the exedy master and slaves are like $16 and $7 on rock auto, and those are the nice ones!

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

BlackMK4 posted:

I'm 5'8" and it'll be w2w'd. I just looked and the rear humps have already been removed. Interesting thing is my S2000 has a Sparco Circuit, same as this car. I guess there was a revision, the seats are different sizes and the seat padding is easily 2x as thick in the Miata one. Probably just test swap the S2000 Circuit into the car if I need more space than the seat pad swap gave me, we will see.

At 5'8" I'd imagine you would have some head room even with a full cage. Did the previous owner have the seat bolted directly to the floor on the front cross-member or bolted directly to the floor to the rear of the front cross-member? I ask because I'm 6'2" and sat in an NA chasis with the drivers Sparco Circuit seat bolted to the floor aft of the front cross-member on stock Sparco rails and I had a ton of head room.

Off topic but does anyone know what the inner diameter size of the fuel line that connects to the fuel filter on an NB Chasis is and what kind of quick disconnect fittings I need? I broke my fittings changing the fuel filter and my car as slowly but surely leaked gas all over the floor.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It is bolted on top of the crossmember in the front and to the floor in the rear.

After sitting in a couple of SMs yesterday I can confirm that I was just spoiled with headroom before. In my car I've got an inch above my helmet to the roof skin, can tilt my head wherever forward/right, and hit the cage padding if I tilt my head left about an inch. I'm still going to work on sitting lower, but it was basically the same case in the other two cars.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

BloodBag posted:

I suspect my clutch master cylinder went out on Friday. I noticed as I was driving home from work that the clutch was engaging closer and closer to the floor. It got to the point where the transmission was super notchy on every shift, then it got to where I couldn't get it into second from first. Then I couldn't get it into first from a stop. I pumped the pedal a few times and that gave me some clutching ability, but I basically had to run 3 stop signs to get home because I was so close.

I'm really hoping it was the master or slave cylinders, because if that FM happy meal clutch poo poo the bed I'm going to be a very sad panda. I just wonder why the stupid things would fail so quickly. The master has like 3k miles on it and the slave maybe 600. I wish I could buy nicer stuff, but the exedy master and slaves are like $16 and $7 on rock auto, and those are the nice ones!

If it behaves like that, it doesn't sound like the clutch itself is the problem but very much like hydraulics.

It's strange, I've had a 200000+ km NA and now a 160000km NB and from the looks of it they are both still on the original clutch cylinders and I have had zero clutch issues with either of them (except for squeaky noises between slave cylinder and fork, but that's more just regular maintenance). And then there are others that go through clutch slave cylinders quicker than brake pads.

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive

Wibla posted:

Did it stop after you turned it off and on again? I had something similar happen on my 2015 Mazda3 Optimum (2.2 Diesel auto), was a busted exhaust pressure sensor sending the ECU into some crazy safe mode with the entire dash lighting up with errors and poo poo.

I didn't try turning it back on once I parked (definitely a troubleshooting step I will take in the future...), was worried about hurting my poor car any further than the drive across town. I need to get used to the few perks of owning a new car ex. a warranty, and free tows from mazda - interesting that the dash gets unrelated lights from certain errors

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah... They've got all that loving computerized diagnostic poo poo in these newer cars - but no, gotta SPAM THE LIGHTS when a sensor goes to hell. Seriously stupid poo poo.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm starting it tomorrow.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Car ran today as promised. Went to reflush the cooling system since I was getting weird coolant temp spikes and the drain plug cross threaded and broke. I can't tell you how disappointed with Mishimoto that they decided to use an aluminum plug on aluminum threads. I'll be calling tomorrow to see if they'll send me a new bung to weld in.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

BloodBag posted:

Sounds exactly like one of the two. Could the hose have popped off if you did it recently? Maybe missed an air bubble?

rowebot44
Feb 21, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhjJtRB8hRI

The smoke in southern California needs to go away so i can get this turd back out on the road.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Russian Bear posted:

Sounds exactly like one of the two. Could the hose have popped off if you did it recently? Maybe missed an air bubble?

I ordered new LUK brand master and slave cylinders. I had the entire system out and it is remotely possible I missed a bubble, but that should have manifested sooner than now. Also the clutch fluid is really black & nasty looking and was when I took the MC off before I painted the car. I'm thinking it had lovely seals before and the FM clutch just accelerated the death.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
There's a new Regular Car review of the NB https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9ai4GSFcIY

I don't think I've ever felt as personally attacked as now.

Today I was actually going to check out a squeal I've been hearing from the rear brakes. Turns out the pad is almost completely gone even though I replaced it less than 2 years ago when I refurbished the calipers. And the new rubber boot is also gone, and the rocker which looked like was just starting to bubble from normal angles, is completely hosed from the bottom. Woo.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

A guy I've known for almost 30 years wants to sell his Miata. I had planned to go looking for a used Miata next year, which would have given me time to save up $10-15k for a relatively nice one. This one that my buddy is selling is not so nice - 2001 Miata LS, 115k miles, and it's starting to show little gremlins. Ones that worry me in particular are that he says it's hard to shift into second without bad noises unless the clutch is all the way to the floor, and that the rear suspension is sagging a little bit and will hit the stops when you go over a pothole. I like driving cars but I don't like working on cars. Do those sound like things that are going to turn into expensive repairs in the next 15k miles / two or three years? If I can make this thing last for just that long without expensive repairs, I'll likely have saved enough cash to upgrade to an ND.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Zorak of Michigan posted:

A guy I've known for almost 30 years wants to sell his Miata. I had planned to go looking for a used Miata next year, which would have given me time to save up $10-15k for a relatively nice one. This one that my buddy is selling is not so nice - 2001 Miata LS, 115k miles, and it's starting to show little gremlins. Ones that worry me in particular are that he says it's hard to shift into second without bad noises unless the clutch is all the way to the floor, and that the rear suspension is sagging a little bit and will hit the stops when you go over a pothole. I like driving cars but I don't like working on cars. Do those sound like things that are going to turn into expensive repairs in the next 15k miles / two or three years? If I can make this thing last for just that long without expensive repairs, I'll likely have saved enough cash to upgrade to an ND.

Any other gears or just 2nd? Transmission might need a rebuild, clutch hydraulics could be iffy, could just be a worn 2nd gear syncro. Could swap in a known good transmission, 5-speeds are cheap. Rear shocks are probably toast, and suspension could probably use a refresh all around. Miata's are generally cheap to keep running, even with the issues you've described. No idea what it'd cost to have done at a shop though.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Buddy says it's just second right now, but my theoretical knowledge of transmissions makes me think that it's probably a sign of creeping badness. Hrrm. This is deeply conflicting for me.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Zorak of Michigan posted:

it's hard to shift into second without bad noises unless the clutch is all the way to the floor

How does he normally shift into gears?

Like the poster above I dont know how much a shop would cost to fix but the transmission looks the most expensive. I wouldn’t worry too much about the mileage. Suspension should be an easy fix. Still though you’ll likely be able to sell it for what you paid and maybe even put into it when you upgrade.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Bought a 1998 NB a few weeks ago, was previously owned by a 70yr old lady who loved it for 18 years but didn't exactly keep it pristine. It was apparently a demo car for Mazda so one of the first in the country. £900 with a hard top (slightly torn soft top underneath), 71k miles and in need of a few bits doing. Did a full service on it a couple of weeks back to get it ready for a road trip and aside from a knocking lower suspension bush it behaved perfectly.

Definitely going to need a bit of arch work and a bit of the typical front structure hacking out and replacing. Hopefully I can get that done soonish along with the lower suspension bush. It absolutely loved the curvy roads I took it on for the trip, definitely a noisy little twat on the motorway at anything above 65mph though.

I can definitely see why these are rated, great fun.

Beep beep

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
One of us, one of us! For 900 it's a steal, even if it it's a bit rough. I wouldn't worry too much about cosmetics and enjoy stress free driving and parking :)

mobby_6kl posted:

Today I was actually going to check out a squeal I've been hearing from the rear brakes. Turns out the pad is almost completely gone even though I replaced it less than 2 years ago when I refurbished the calipers. And the new rubber boot is also gone, and the rocker which looked like was just starting to bubble from normal angles, is completely hosed from the bottom. Woo.

On the downside of miata ownership, I got the pads and went to change them only to discover that the piston is stuck and I couldn't retract it with the allen key. First of all the actual adjustment screw seemed a bit rusty so somehow moisture must've gotten in even though the bolt and washer were properly torqued. But also the rubber boot came off a bit on one side of the piston and rusted it, too. Maybe if I had an 1/2" impact -> allen key adapter it would come out, but not with my meager, covid-depleted muscles.

Either there was something wrong with the rubber (how did the one above just disintegrate in 2 years?) or the rear end in a top hat that refurbished the caliper two years ago (yes, it was me) somehow hosed it up. A reman caliper is like $60 so not the end of the world of course.

Can anyone confirm if N067-26-71X is the right part# for the sport rear left caliper? It seems to be the right one but I can't confirm it for sure anywhere.

E:
Also what the hell is this thing? I also checked the right side (where the pads were fine) and it seems that some kind of plastic shield came off. The car was only on the jack so I didn't stick my head under it.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 21, 2020

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

:words:

E:
Also what the hell is this thing? I also checked the right side (where the pads were fine) and it seems that some kind of plastic shield came off. The car was only on the jack so I didn't stick my head under it.

That plastic shield covers up the fuel tank EVAP canister and the fuel filter. It's just held in with simple push tab plastic fasteners.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I think this trans seal was due for replacement.

Temporary drain plug until it gets fixed proper. Grade 8 7/16-20.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 22, 2020

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

um excuse me posted:

Temporary drain plug until it gets fixed proper. Grade 8 7/16-20.

The one on the Koyo radiator is worse. Straight thread, o-ring flange, with a "2 flats on a rounded head" plug. Lame as poo poo. I ended up filing the head into a 13mm hex shape.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Yea for the next Mishimoto bung I get I think I'm going straight to a shop to get helicoiled in a larger size so I don't have to worry about stripping it. Also switch to a stainless drain plug. Mishimoto has to know about this issue. They've been in the game long enough.

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
Miatas are the poo poo. As my sole form of transportation, my lil guy delivers all them smiles per mile, it’s saccharine

Easy to take the lil guy for granted, until you drive a normie vehicle a while

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Virgil Vox posted:

How does he normally shift into gears?

Like the poster above I dont know how much a shop would cost to fix but the transmission looks the most expensive. I wouldn’t worry too much about the mileage. Suspension should be an easy fix. Still though you’ll likely be able to sell it for what you paid and maybe even put into it when you upgrade.

I appreciate the input from you and TrueChaos. I decided that the opportunity to buy a Miata from someone I know and trust, even if it wasn't my dream car, was going to be a better deal than trusting that the right rando would appear when I was ready. It's mine now. Well, it will be, once the dealer that did the PPI finishes doing the maintenance I asked for. Then when I have it back I'll rebuild the shifter, which looks like an amazingly doable task, and replace the latches on the soft top. I'm not sure what it is about the Miata experience that makes me trust my screwdriving skills, but I'll take it.

I'll post pics when I can but imagine Olympic Mathlete's, but with a lot more wear on the paint from being a former Massachusetts car.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I have an 06 NC that I couldn't resist fiddling with and I think I made a mess. I took out the seats so I could install a new carpet and seat covers (I'll take pics later once it stops raining, I think it looks pretty good), but after putting the seats back in I'm getting an airbag trouble code, "48." From what google has told me this is related to a passenger seat weight sensor, and I would need a mechanic or dealer level diagnostic tool to re-zero it so it calibrates right. Am I on the right track, or am I looking at the wrong fix? All the connectors are snug and in the right place, and I'm not doing anything crazy like the last time I swapped seats in another car (that involved having to re-pin the wiring harness for the seat, it was such a pain in the rear end).

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
New post to show off: I have a (not)limited-edition NC Miata.

I debated going with leather seats but decided against it, I just don't like leather interiors (I tolerate it with my mercury but for something that gets sun exposure all the time, no way). In real life the red isn't as bright as it looks in pictures. Next up is a red soft top some time next month and maybe some silver accents on the exterior.

And yes I ended up getting an auto because it was available, affordable, and wasn't trashed like all the stick miatas in my area.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Oct 1, 2020

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is anyone pretty familiar with tuning BP4Ws? Just want a lookover in terms of how conservative it is, it is set up to make a flat 220whp from 5.5k to 7.5k

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
One more post because I'm indecisive as hell. Which one, black or silver:

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Black.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
You gotta go with the black windshield frame. I'm not entirely sure why they did the silver on the Fiats other than to call back to the original models...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Black.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Black

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Silver, it matches the wheels and roll hoops and looks especially nice with the red seats. All black is boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You gotta go with the black windshield frame. I'm not entirely sure why they did the silver on the Fiats other than to call back to the original models...

Actually I was thinking of the sky/solstice twins when I got the idea. Anyways, I already peeled it off because I wasn't happy with the way I sprayed it, so it's back to black again. I might try the silver again at some point, but I'm still waiting to hear about a red top and if that works out then it might be too much going on visually for the silver. At least plastidip is easy to undo, unless you overspray (then it's a gigantic pain in the rear end)