Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I lived with a family for a while that had a kid named Corbin Dallas. They must've really loved Fifth Element but never asked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Bobby Digital posted:

Windham L. Rotunda

Harley Race's actual name was Harley Race, but that's kind of awesome.

Windham Rotunda is the real name of wrestler Bray Wyatt. His mother's maiden name is Windham.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Marcade posted:

Not so much terrible as kind of badass, Shadrach Hammer

Well it's much better than Shadrach Dingle.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

This made me imagine some kind of Dragonriders of Pern themed football game, like Bloodbowl is to Warhammer.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/whoresofyore/status/1304841317206368258?s=21

Giganticon
Mar 10, 2010

Pillbug
Just got an order from one Phyllis Haithcock.

Phyllis is like a squint away from phallus, then you've got cock right there, truly making Phyllis Haithcock an instant classic.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
Had a classmate and friend in HS who was given an abbreviated form of "Estefania" with an odd spelling as her name. Nobody thought much of it until we got a class on English slang. She was called Fanny.

Local library also had records of a small child named Osiris.

Spanish people get to have two surnames, one from their father and another from their mother. Usually you get to have two of the boring kind of family names meaning "son of (guy who died four centuries ago)" or toponims, or random figurative things. But sometimes by chance you get mildly amusing combinations. I have seen "Rabbit Lettuce", "Brave Lion" (who was a mild-mannered teacher), and "Vinegar Wolf" (another mild-mannered middle aged guy).

There's also the last name Expósito, which while not amusing on itself, is an old word meaning "Left somewhere" and was given in old times to kids that were anonimously left at orphanages. So there are folks around with a surname that mostly means "no surname". I have seen it doubled, even, as "(Firstname) Expósito Expósito"

Shellception has a new favorite as of 18:25 on Sep 17, 2020

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It always seemed like Spanish (Castilian) people have surnames that come from a very limited pool, for some reason. Or at least, the less popular ones are very unpopular compared to the common ones. It has to happen a lot that you end up with something like Garcia Garcia, just because the mother and the father have the same surname, right?

Fanny, honestly, I wouldn't really bat an eye, it's a historically common name in so many countries. Who really gives a poo poo that it's 'slang' in English, they don't even seem to use it particularly often

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Yeah, I think most English-speaker's minds will immediately go to the slang whenever we come across the name Fanny, but it's not laugh-out-loud funny, and people get over it quickly because we all know that it's also a name.
Someone called Fanny would definitely be made fun of for it at school, but kids will make fun of anything.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Lady Disdain posted:

Yeah, I think most English-speaker's minds will immediately go to the slang whenever we come across the name Fanny, but it's not laugh-out-loud funny, and people get over it quickly because we all know that it's also a name.
Someone called Fanny would definitely be made fun of for it at school, but kids will make fun of anything.

One time, my nice old grand-auntie from Bristol came to visit me in Toronto. I showed her Fannie Farmer chocolates and she laughed forever and then bought some for all her friends. It was fun :unsmith:

That reminds me of one of the best thing ever: NSFW if your work knows what a minge is.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
Glad to hear Fanny doesn't sound that bad out there, we obviusly didn't have the context so we teased her a bit but she was a good sport about it. Nice girl :unsmith:

Phlegmish posted:

It always seemed like Spanish (Castilian) people have surnames that come from a very limited pool, for some reason. Or at least, the less popular ones are very unpopular compared to the common ones. It has to happen a lot that you end up with something like Garcia Garcia, just because the mother and the father have the same surname, right?

Yeah, there are some really common surnames: Garcia, and anything ending on -ez and -iz (aforementioned "Son of X" surnames). I'd chalk it up to most of them originating from times when name variation wasn't really great. If your grandfather was called Pere, and your father was called Pere, you'd be a Perez (from the Pere family) and that's it. It got so bad that established noble families sometimes attached a locative "of X" to the surname so you'd be "Perez de Leon" to mark differences with all those other less important Perez.

Another bit of historical trivia is attached to those surnames containing references to the sanctity of the Virgin Mary or Christ, like "Santamaria" ("Saintmary"). Those, among other humiliations, were the "Christian surnames" given to jews that were forcibly converted in the XVI century, after the expulsion edict, as an additional "gently caress you". While not that usual, there are some of them still around.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
Naming traditions are super interesting to me, someone please tell me more about how people end up as Pablo Diego José Francisco de Paula Juan Nepomuceno María de los Remedios Cipriano de la Santísima Trinidad Ruiz y Picasso, that poo poo is baffling and fascinating

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Picasso's name isn't based on any tradition, his parents just decided to include a bunch of saints and the whole neighborhood in there.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I have two middle names. Spanish bureaucracy is very frustrated with me. They cannot understand. I think Cat Salut knows me by said middle names only, neither of which are easily pronounceable.

Also, there's a Catalan name that always makes me laugh: Ot. I don't know why it's funny to me, but it is.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Oh you know what? It's because it's the sound a very fat seal makes while rolling over: OT OT OT

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I have two middle names. Spanish bureaucracy is very frustrated with me. They cannot understand. I think Cat Salut knows me by said middle names only, neither of which are easily pronounceable.

Also, there's a Catalan name that always makes me laugh: Ot. I don't know why it's funny to me, but it is.

My sister has two middle names, but yeah, it is an oddity. One we can admit, but if you are going to have more may as well go overboard like Picasso's parents. Or our own own royal family, for example king "Felipe Juan Pablo Alfonso de Todos los Santos de Borbón y Grecia". They literally put the whole santoral in there.

And Ot is inherently funny to my very southern ears too, yeah. There used to be a catalan wordless comic strip called "Ot the witcher" and for a long time I thought it was a made-up name. It was kinda good too, maybe I should dig up some examples for the comic strip thread.

Shellception has a new favorite as of 22:20 on Sep 18, 2020

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

You might have heard of the Renaissance physician Paracelsus, right?

Well, apparently his full name was Philippus Aureolus Theophrastus Bombastus von Hohenheim.

I mean, each of his subsequent names sounds more like that Inception BRRRRAAAAAAAHHHH sound than the previous one.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It sounds like a verse from:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MJLi5_dyn0

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
It may have come up in this thread before, but not by me yet: My favorite Spanish surname is Cabeza de Vaca. Made famous by Álvar Núñez Cabeza de Vaca, a Spanish explorer and conquistador who survived an ill-fated expedition into Florida and ended up wandering through the American Southwest and Mexico for eight years. The surname Cabeza de Vaca (meaning "cow head") was granted to his mother's family in the 13th century, when his ancestor Martín Alhaja aided a Christian army attacking Moors by leaving a cow's head and a pile of rocks to point out a small secret mountain pass for their use. The accounts of his experiences are the only written description of some American peoples, and apparently he stands out from many of his conquistador peers for writing about the people he met with some amount of compassion and respect.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Brian Peter George St John le Baptiste de la Salle Eno

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
In modern times this man would be arrested for child abuse.

His children from his first marriage were named eccentrically but not too oddly given what British aristos in the Victorian era got up to namewise:

Lyonel Felix Carteret Eugene Tollemache
Florence Caroline Artemesia Tollemache
Evelyne Clementina Wentworth Cornelia Maude Tollemache
Granville Grey Marchmont Manners Plantagenet Tollemache
Marchmont Murray Reginald Grasett Stanhope Plantagenet Tollemache

But then he remarried and doubled his surname because he could (and, I assume, :brainworms: set it):

Dora Viola Gertrude Irenez de Orellana Dysart Plantagenet Tollemache-Tollemache
Mabel Helmingham Ethel Huntingtower Beatrice Blazonberrie Evangeline Vise de Lou de Orellana Plantagenet Toedmag Saxon Tollemache-Tollemache
Lyonesse Matilda Dora Ida Agnes Ernestine Curson Paulet Wilbraham Joyce Eugénie Bentley Saxonia Dysart Plantagenet Tollemache-Tollemache
Lyulph Ydwallo Odin Nestor Egbert Lyonel Toedmag Hugh Erchenwyne Saxon Esa Cromwell Orma Nevill Dysart Plantagenet Tollemache-Tollemache
Lyona Decima Veroica Esyth Undine Cyssa Hylda Rowena Adela Thyra Ursuala Ysabel Blanche Lelias Dysart Plantagenet Tollemache-Tollemache
Leo Quintus Tollemache-Tollemache de Orellana Plantagenet Tollemache-Tollemache
Lyonella Fredegunda Cuthberga Ethelswytha Ideth Ysabel Grace Monica de Orellana Plantagenet Tollemache-Tollemache
Leone Sextus Denys Oswolf Fraudatifilius Tollemache-Tollemache de Orellana Plantagenet Tollemache-Tollemache
Lyonetta Edith Regina Valentine Myra Polwarth Avelina Phillipa Violantha de Orellana Plantagenet Tollemache-Tollemache
Lyunulph Cospatrick Bruce Berkeley Jermyn Tullibardine Petersham de Orellana Dysart Plantagenet Tollemache-Tollemache

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pope Hilarius II posted:

You might have heard of the Renaissance physician Paracelsus, right?

Well, apparently his full name was Philippus Aureolus Theophrastus Bombastus von Hohenheim.

I mean, each of his subsequent names sounds more like that Inception BRRRRAAAAAAAHHHH sound than the previous one.

I just laughed so loud at saying "Theophrastus Bombastus" out loud I just spilt coffee over myself.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
There's also Hubert Blaine Wolfeschlegelsteinhausenbergerdorff, Sr.

Full name: Adolph Blaine Charles David Earl Frederick Gerald Hubert Irvin John Kenneth Lloyd Martin Nero Oliver Paul Quincy Randolph Sherman Thomas Uncas Victor William Xerxes Yancy Zeus Wolfeschlegel­steinhausen­bergerdorff­welche­vor­altern­waren­gewissenhaft­schafers­wessen­schafe­waren­wohl­gepflege­und­sorgfaltigkeit­beschutzen­vor­angreifen­durch­ihr­raubgierig­feinde­welche­vor­altern­zwolfhundert­tausend­jahres­voran­die­erscheinen­von­der­erste­erdemensch­der­raumschiff­genacht­mit­tungstein­und­sieben­iridium­elektrisch­motors­gebrauch­licht­als­sein­ursprung­von­kraft­gestart­sein­lange­fahrt­hinzwischen­sternartig­raum­auf­der­suchen­nachbarschaft­der­stern­welche­gehabt­bewohnbar­planeten­kreise­drehen­sich­und­wohin­der­neue­rasse­von­verstandig­menschlichkeit­konnte­fortpflanzen­und­sich­erfreuen­an­lebenslanglich­freude­und­ruhe­mit­nicht­ein­furcht­vor­angreifen­vor­anderer­intelligent­geschopfs­von­hinzwischen­sternartig­raum Sr.

No, he was not born in Ulm, shut up.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
'It's a boy! What should we name him?'

'Everything. Let's give him all the names.'

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I'm actually surprised that's allowed. In Australia, there's a limit to the number of characters a name can have.

But also, why Leo and Leone rather than Lyo and Lyone ? If you're going to have a theme, at least be consistent.

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

A coworker's daughter named her son Kashten.

One Eye Open
Sep 19, 2006
Am I awake?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Lyulph Ydwallo Odin Nestor Egbert Lyonel Toedmag Hugh Erchenwyne Saxon Esa Cromwell Orma Nevill Dysart Plantagenet Tollemache-Tollemache

"Lyonel the Second". There was method to the madness!

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
:aaaaa:

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Saxon is a fucken cool name

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
I was watching some Netflix barbeque competition show and so far there are contestants named Grubbs and Boatwright, and a friend of a contestant known as Big Worm.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Ralph Hurley posted:

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Ralph Hurley posted:

Unfortunately, nowadays it has a whiff of that Jaxon-style name. I knew a woman called Saxa, though, and she would've been right at home wielding a great sword on a viking battlefield or something.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I know a whole country called Saxa. Who named that?!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Ralph Hurley posted:

For white supremacists.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

What

I'm more of a Frank myself, if we're rating Germanic tribes

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Phlegmish posted:

What

I'm more of a Frank myself, if we're rating Germanic tribes

You see the word used in this sort of context a lot. At least in the US.

Goooooo Angles, I guess!

E: goddammit why can't I bbcode today sorry

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

For white supremacists.

yeesh.. well how embarrassing. I just thought it sounded cool as a first name. gently caress.
It’s also the name of a bitchin’ first wave British heavy metal band. :shrug:

BTW, autocorrect changes “bitchin’” to “bitcoin”.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Is there anything these pesky neo nazis won't ruin ?

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

I have to admit I did not see that coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lady Disdain posted:

Is there anything these pesky neo nazis won't ruin ?

Milk.