Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Insurance companies have their own insurance too so it gets really esoteric

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
And independent agents that sell insurance have insurance to cover them when they gently caress up providing the correct insurance.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Insurance to me seems to be mostly a premium collection business with the actual claims stuff shunted off to the Wall Street make believe world

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

buying insurance is gambling against someone better informed than you

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

owlhawk911 posted:

If I can afford to lose a small amount of money every day but a catastrophic loss will ruin my life then it's better to lose the money even if it'll cost more in the long run.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Who needs pods anyway?

Mass. parents knew kid had coronavirus, sent him to 1st day of school anyway, officials say

At what point does "knowingly transmitting a disease" in a pandemic rise to a chargeable offense?
I believe there is something akin to precedent, from the case of Nushawn Williams.

Who would be culpable? The parents for sending him to school? The student for going anyway? Both?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

toplitzin posted:

Who needs pods anyway?

Mass. parents knew kid had coronavirus, sent him to 1st day of school anyway, officials say

At what point does "knowingly transmitting a disease" in a pandemic rise to a chargeable offense?
I believe there is something akin to precedent, from the case of Nushawn Williams.

Who would be culpable? The parents for sending him to school? The student for going anyway? Both?

This current government probably isn't going to be willing to charge anyone so it'll all be down to civil suits.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
e: wrong thread

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

pentyne posted:

This current government probably isn't going to be willing to charge anyone so it'll all be down to civil suits.

Would "the president said this was fine" be a viable defense in a civil suit? Assume the defendant can provide plentiful documentation of the president clearly signaling that the rona is no big deal etc.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

pentyne posted:

At least in the US, charging people with crimes doesn't work that way. There are over 2000 different entities that make charging decisions in the US.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

owlhawk911 posted:

Insurance is mathematically beneficial for both parties under fairly standard conditions involving their loss functions.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Yeah insurance is hedging not gambling. NOT buying insurance is gambling.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

owlhawk911 posted:

Nah. It is possible for both parties to benefit from trade due to having different risk aversions and risk pools.

Product warranties though are often not worth it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Senate can confirm a nomination after the election but before january 20th, right? So in theory, Trump could lose the election, and then nominate himself for the supreme court?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Senate can confirm a nomination after the election but before january 20th, right? So in theory, Trump could lose the election, and then nominate himself for the supreme court?

Yeah

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Could he win the election, and also appoint himself, and serve in both offices simultaneously

also can he nominate mitch mcconnel, and if he does, could mitch then vote for himself, and also could mcconnel simultaneously be a senator and a justice

(I've figured out that we live in the worst possible timeline and whatever the most stupidly hosed thing possible is, that's what's going to happen)

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Leperflesh posted:

Could he win the election, and also appoint himself, and serve in both offices simultaneously

also can he nominate mitch mcconnel, and if he does, could mitch then vote for himself, and also could mcconnel simultaneously be a senator and a justice

(I've figured out that we live in the worst possible timeline and whatever the most stupidly hosed thing possible is, that's what's going to happen)

That’s the one where Mitch McConnell is on the Supreme Court as a justice deciding whether to grant a writ of certiorari for a lawsuit against him being a justice and a senator.

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.

It’s a boy...?

E:

Taft served on the Supreme Court... but not while president

GlobglogGroAbgalab fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Sep 19, 2020

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

No explicit constitutional bar, though it would violate the spirit of separation of powers.

quote:

also can he nominate mitch mcconnel,
Yes.

quote:

and if he does, could mitch then vote for himself,
Yes.

quote:

and also could mcconnel simultaneously be a senator and a justice

Explicitly no, barred by the Ineligibility Clause in Article I.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
I’m swedish and not super big on american constitutional law etc., is there any stopping the republicans putting another judge on the supreme court before the next presidential term or whatever?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Syncopated posted:

I’m swedish and not super big on american constitutional law etc., is there any stopping the republicans putting another judge on the supreme court before the next presidential term or whatever?

They have the raw numbers and made the senatorial rules this term to disallow fillibusters on judicial appointments. The question is, do they have the votes, which looks like maybe.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Syncopated posted:

We'll find out in the next few days. It basically depends on the moods of Lindsey Graham and Mitt Romney and a few other "moderate" Republican senators.

The most likely result is probably a vote to confirm a new candidate in the lame-duck session after the election, either way.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
I see, thanks

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Kalman posted:

No explicit constitutional bar, though it would violate the spirit of separation of powers.

Lol

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Trump can technically nominate himself to serve concurrently on the supreme court.

He can technically nominate himself nine times.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Can’t wait for the seminal 7-2 pardon power decision U.S. v. Trump, delivered by TRUMP, C.J. (TRUMP, J., dissenting, in which TRUMP, J. joins)

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Is there any way for anyone to remove a SC judge that doesn't require a SC decision or violence?

As in, assuming Dems win landslide victories over the next few years and every state goes blue, are the SC judges basically lifetime no take backs?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Outrail posted:

Is there any way for anyone to remove a SC judge that doesn't require a SC decision or violence?

As in, assuming Dems win landslide victories over the next few years and every state goes blue, are the SC judges basically lifetime no take backs?

You can impeach them. Guess who is likely to be in control of the senate?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

pseudanonymous posted:

You can impeach them. Guess who is likely to be in control of the senate?

I have some concerns regarding democracy's viability.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Outrail posted:

Impeachment and, depending on your tolerance for seriously loving up democratic norms, eliminating associate justice positions.

(People are going to say poo poo about life tenure and I’m going to say go read about what happened to the Midnight Judges when Congress eliminated the circuit courts.)

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
There's always court packing if you want to take a less direct route.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

DaveSauce posted:

There's always court packing if you want to take a less direct route.

I think you mean court balancing. Court packing sounds bad, whereas court balancing sounds good, and since they are the same thing.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I dunno packing seems potentially sexual so it sounds better to me

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Harold Fjord posted:

How many Twitter followers before you're a public figure?

Hypothetical: A couple was reported loving in public in 2004 at 5:30 AM by a mother driving her children to daycare before work. Initially there were 3 counts of public indecency and one count of exhibition before a minor. The latter count is under the subsection of state law dealing with molestation. The result was a plea with no admission and a fine on one count of indecent exposure. They later become slightly well known in social media. Various people who consider the couple political enemies, including some attorneys, coordinate a smear campaign to release some of the court documents and directly state that the couple are convicted pedophiles. I have no idea what state anyone is in. Is any if it actionable?

I asked about libelous rumors awhile ago. They've made there way here and a poster is spreading "convicted sex offender who did time" in D&D. Which is interesting legally.

Does the fact that random goons quote her twitter opinion on these forums make her a public figure? I've never been clear on the bar.

Should mods care about hosting libel? Not that they don't, I don't think it's come up. I doubt she's gonna sue jeffery this is just highpotthetical.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 20, 2020

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Harold Fjord posted:

I asked about libelous rumors awhile ago. They've made there way here and a poster is spreading "convicted sex offender who did time" in D&D. Which is interesting.

Does the fact that random goons quote her twitter opinion on these forums make her a public figure? I've never been clear on the bar.

Should mods care about hosting libel? Not that they don't, I don't think it's come up. I doubt she's gonna sue jeffery this is just highpotthetical.

Links?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Hmm. I'm trying to keep this away from named names and shared legal documents of other people and imported drama. I have no idea of there's any kind of lawsuit and I'm unconnected to the parties I just think it's super lovely and report everyone spreading I can find.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 20, 2020

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
If you're wondering if someone is a public figure but won't readily identify them it sounds like they're not a public figure

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Hoshi posted:

If you're wondering if someone is a public figure but won't readily identify them it sounds like they're not a public figure

This is fair. How many people independently recognize them may be a relevant metric. If only we could start a poll... Anyway. I'll let it go like the song

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 20, 2020

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Leperflesh posted:

Would "the president said this was fine" be a viable defense in a civil suit? Assume the defendant can provide plentiful documentation of the president clearly signaling that the rona is no big deal etc.

I'm pretty sure somebody tried this wrt firing a shotgun in the air to intimidate a trespasser, which was
A) advice given on national television by Joe Biden
B) illegal much everywhere

I have no idea how that turned out, if I'm even remembering the events correctly, but it was similarly stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

No