Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Some of it is just shitheads, but given the current leanings of the forum, some is almost certainly anarchists who are ideologically opposed to hierarchies, and feel anybody enforcing a hierarchy is a cop.

If their ideal (such as an unmodded forum) having publicly, blatantly, failed many times in the past would be the sort of thing to stop them, well, they wouldn't be anarchists.

If this is true and they are so committed to their ideology that they cant take a breather even for something as petty as SA, then :brainworms: I guess.

Tunicate posted:

sir this is a Wendy's drive through

So say we all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I don't usually go through the Leper's Colony but the discussion about suicide probes made me curious and I followed the rabbithole down from one probation, read back through the thread in question, and now I really wish I hadn't. It did remind me why I avoid some subforums completely.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RobrtDwnsySyndrome posted:

If this is true and they are so committed to their ideology that they cant take a breather even for something as petty as SA, then :brainworms: I guess.

when you find yourself unable to stop or even inconvenience the malice of actual authorities then you start grasping for victory wherever you can

the punchline is they constantly gently caress that up, too

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Tunicate posted:

sir this is a Wendy's drive through

poo poo I thought this was a Sonic drive thru!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Moon Slayer posted:

It really seems that in the last few years an extremely vocal minority of posters has formed who don't like mods as people or as a concept.

This has always existed, and they're not any louder than they used to be. You only now just started paying attention.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

This has always existed, and they're not any louder than they used to be. You only now just started paying attention.

Ok sure.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

He got blue star pilled

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Spanish Manlove posted:

Are you still banned from GBS?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
There was a research article put out about moderation for r/askhistorians that was relevant to SA, in that it covered how there is a large amount of people who will venture into a community, with established rules, that are explained to them in three different ways, both the literal rules and the philosophy behind them, and will ignore literally all of that and shitpost and get a post deleted and dedicate three weeks, and i mean all waking hours, to trying to ruin the life of the fascist who censored them

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/a3p1ig/meta_i_wrote_my_phd_dissertation_on_askhistorians/
https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/a4yc1v/meta_i_wrote_my_phd_dissertation_on_askhistorians/

there are, in fact, bad mods, that exist, but it kind of gets both jumbled in the noise generated by the above types, and also tends to be blown very much out of proportion, in the sense that sending people death threats for moderating a forum wrong is deranged

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Tiler Kiwi posted:

There was a research article put out about moderation for r/askhistorians that was relevant to SA, in that it covered how there is a large amount of people who will venture into a community, with established rules, that are explained to them in three different ways, both the literal rules and the philosophy behind them, and will ignore literally all of that and shitpost and get a post deleted and dedicate three weeks, and i mean all waking hours, to trying to ruin the life of the fascist who censored them

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/a3p1ig/meta_i_wrote_my_phd_dissertation_on_askhistorians/
https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/a4yc1v/meta_i_wrote_my_phd_dissertation_on_askhistorians/

there are, in fact, bad mods, that exist, but it kind of gets both jumbled in the noise generated by the above types, and also tends to be blown very much out of proportion, in the sense that sending people death threats for moderating a forum wrong is deranged

Thanks for the links! Also, :wtc:

quote:

Many of us, especially those commenting and moderating some of the more sensitive topics such as Holocaust denial or anything to do with sexism have also received unsolicited pms hurling insults at us and further. I once had a user message me 200 times in 40 minutes detailing how they would dismember and eat me after I had banned them from the sub [emphasis added].

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Moon Slayer posted:

It really seems that in the last few years an extremely vocal minority of posters has formed who don't like mods as people or as a concept. Who think that the Forums don't need mods, that the Forums shouldn't have any mods, and that having mods makes the Forums worse. Maybe I'm being Poe's Law-ed here but people seem to genuinely be lumping mods in with cops as just universally bad, no question. People who said "hey maybe you're making too big a deal of this" were called "cop lovers," "bootlickers," and "authoritarian types."

Now I personally think that throwing those accusations around is on par with calling someone a pedophile: it's serious and not something you can just say without consequences for someone. I want it to fall under the same general rule as accusing another poster of being a pedophile or alt-right, i.e. you'd better have proof and not just saying it because you disagree. We're discussing it going forward.

I don't know. Maybe it's just the times we live in. It's still pretty disheartening to think that someone out there genuinely believes that me, a volunteer subforum moderator on a once-famous, now obscure internet comedy forum is a figure of authoritarianism and ethnonationalism. I just want people to not have slapfights, not poo poo threads up with low-content posts, and to have a good time.

On the other hand though:

I guess I'm not doing that bad after all.

scary ghost dog posted:

stop jerking off to yourself lol

lmao

e:

Moon Slayer posted:

It really seems that in the last few years an extremely vocal minority of posters has formed who don't like mods as people or as a concept.

I want it to fall under the same general rule as accusing another poster of being a pedophile or alt-right

lmao again

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Moon Slayer posted:

It really seems that in the last few years an extremely vocal minority of posters has formed who don't like mods as people or as a concept. Who think that the Forums don't need mods, that the Forums shouldn't have any mods, and that having mods makes the Forums worse. Maybe I'm being Poe's Law-ed here but people seem to genuinely be lumping mods in with cops as just universally bad, no question. People who said "hey maybe you're making too big a deal of this" were called "cop lovers," "bootlickers," and "authoritarian types."

Now I personally think that throwing those accusations around is on par with calling someone a pedophile: it's serious and not something you can just say without consequences for someone. I want it to fall under the same general rule as accusing another poster of being a pedophile or alt-right, i.e. you'd better have proof and not just saying it because you disagree. We're discussing it going forward.

I don't know. Maybe it's just the times we live in. It's still pretty disheartening to think that someone out there genuinely believes that me, a volunteer subforum moderator on a once-famous, now obscure internet comedy forum is a figure of authoritarianism and ethnonationalism. I just want people to not have slapfights, not poo poo threads up with low-content posts, and to have a good time.

the mods i like, and there are mods i like, tend to get straight to the loving point instead of tossing an entire copy of moby dick at me with all the pages where something actually happens torn of it (approx. 30 out of 1000+)

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Violently hating all mods is dumb. Sucking off the mods is also dumb. In short, Sagas are a land of contrasts.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i have a request if anyone can find it. there was a gbs thread titled something along the lines of "what hosed up stuff did you do as a child", i dont know if it was in regular gbs, gbs 2, or gbs 1, i think its in the gas chamber now though. if anyone could find it and post the link in here it'll be worth it. if anyone knows what i'm talking about it's the one where it's like 40 pages of posters talking about how they tortured wild animals and domestic pets to death as children in glorious 1080p detail

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Captain Hygiene posted:

All of you are my posting friends. Except for one. You know who you are.

But I said I was sorry.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Rags to Liches posted:

poo poo I thought this was a Sonic drive thru!

You son of a bitch. Sonic is a drive in, rear end in a top hat.

Ban this sick filth.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I.N.R.I posted:

i have a request if anyone can find it. there was a gbs thread titled something along the lines of "what hosed up stuff did you do as a child", i dont know if it was in regular gbs, gbs 2, or gbs 1, i think its in the gas chamber now though. if anyone could find it and post the link in here it'll be worth it. if anyone knows what i'm talking about it's the one where it's like 40 pages of posters talking about how they tortured wild animals and domestic pets to death as children in glorious 1080p detail

I do, because I asked the admins to update the 100,000 hour probe to a permaban

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3133630&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post360529445

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Len posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3133630&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post360529445

Thank you for linking rather than quoting that gruesome loving nonsense, and if it helps at all, I'm 100% behind admitted animal abusers earning permabans.

That thread is from 2009. I'd like to think the forums culture has changed substantially since then.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Pastry of the Year posted:

Thank you for linking rather than quoting that gruesome loving nonsense, and if it helps at all, I'm 100% behind admitted animal abusers earning permabans.

That thread is from 2009. I'd like to think the forums culture has changed substantially since then.

Honestly I don't get why the post didn't get scrubbed because wtf

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

100,000 hour bans were basically viewed as a more insulting perma-ban. Who could have guessed this site would still be shambling more than a decade later?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Solice Kirsk posted:

100,000 hour bans were basically viewed as a more insulting perma-ban. Who could have guessed this site would still be shambling more than a decade later?

Or that posters would actually post again after eating a 100k probe.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Len posted:

thank you, i think that's actually a different older thread though. i could have sworn there was an active one sometime after i registered (2011) that reached 40+ pages since i remember posting it in a goonlulz thread but maybe i got my wires crossed. anyway that thread or the one i'm imagining in my head that's like that one was my personal ._. moment on this web site

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Solice Kirsk posted:

You son of a bitch. Sonic is a drive in, rear end in a top hat.

Ban this sick filth.

explain the ones with the drive thru windows!

(because I sure can't)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

I.N.R.I posted:

thank you, i think that's actually a different older thread though. i could have sworn there was an active one sometime after i registered (2011) that reached 40+ pages since i remember posting it in a goonlulz thread but maybe i got my wires crossed. anyway that thread or the one i'm imagining in my head that's like that one was my personal ._. moment on this web site

I think g0m made one and GBS volunteered their most heinous crimes

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

BrigadierSensible posted:

But I said I was sorry.

Too late, some opinions you just can't come back from :colbert:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

I assume the people that come back after 11 years have been posting under an alt the whole time tbqh.

I was going to ask if being alt-right is bannable by default or if they have to actually start posting bigot poo poo before they get hit. But then someone mentioned the colony and I noticed this masterpiece of a rap sheet: https://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=220422

It seems like they can never shut up long enough to not get banned. This guy's already back tho lol.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

I.N.R.I posted:

i remember the thread youre talking about because it contained an extremely disturbing post about (spoiler for one of the most disturbing things ive read on this forum) cutting baby birds heads off with scissors

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I should not have read that spoiler text. You shouldn't either.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Moon Slayer posted:

I understand it's probably very disheartening to get a lot of over-the-top negative feedback for your volunteer position but IMO the posters who are very upset about mods being "authoritarians" for doling out joke sixers are only slightly more ridiculous than this response. as spanish manlove said this has been going on since the forums existed, the only difference is that now that anti-cop sentiment is a mainstream opinion here the language has changed a little.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
There's that quote from Chris Hanson about entrapment where he said it was impossible to entrap the child molesters because they would take every opportunity to redirect the conversation back to having sex with a child, and in many cases would talk about it unprompted. Like if the bait account says something like "oh it might rain that day" the predators would reply with asking if it still meant they could meet to have sex.

There has been no time a "talk about crazy/creepy stuff" thread has come up that a handful of people haven't casually talked about some intensely disturbing behavior that they still don't see as that bad a thing.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Puppy Galaxy posted:

I understand it's probably very disheartening to get a lot of over-the-top negative feedback for your volunteer position but IMO the posters who are very upset about mods being "authoritarians" for doling out joke sixers are only slightly more ridiculous than this response. as spanish manlove said this has been going on since the forums existed, the only difference is that now that anti-cop sentiment is a mainstream opinion here the language has changed a little.

Nah, its a unpaid volunteer position. People who treat it like mods need to be perfect arbiters of justice are just broke brain morons who can't accept that waiting 6 hours to complain in a QCS thread is a reasonable alternative when raging against someone else getting a 6 hour probe so the "victim" can weigh in.

Of course, that doesn't fit their narrative of being perpetual victims fighting an unjust system, so when cda closes the thread suddenly the new line is "cda silenced the dissent and made sure the victim couldn't come off probe and agree with us"

Frequent agreement with them comes from people calling their punishments "supremely hosed up" and when you check its something like calling other posters pedophiles or some other gross poo poo, so not really the best argument to defend their position.

pentyne has a new favorite as of 20:12 on Sep 20, 2020

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Pick posted:

Jeff's right to probate people who are claiming the mods are complicit if someone offs themselves. That's an absurd and disgusting standard.

No one should post here if they're in a mentally vulnerable state. It is NOT a comforting community for someone in that place. Get a therapist, or call the suicide helpline or whatever, but don't look to EVE Online players
I turned my monitor on a decade ago and haven't looked back.

my metaphor needs some work

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i think it mightve been the gbs anonymous confessions thread......unfortunatrly this casts doubt on all of the admissions therein which was of course the point of the thread.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

pentyne posted:

Nah, its a unpaid volunteer position. People who treat it like mods need to be perfect arbiters of justice are just broke brain morons who can't accept that waiting 6 hours to complain in a QCS thread is a reasonable alternative when raging against someone else getting a 6 hour probe so the "victim" can weigh in.

Of course, that doesn't fit their narrative of being perpetual victims fighting an unjust system, so when cda closes the thread suddenly the new line is "cda silenced the dissent and made sure the victim couldn't come off probe and agree with us"

Frequent agreement with them comes from people calling their punishments "supremely hosed up" and when you check its something like calling other posters pedophiles or some other gross poo poo, so not really the best argument to defend their position.

Well yeah, that's all a given.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
They should make me a mod. I promise right now to be arbitrary and vengeful, but also very terse

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

New revenue stream idea for when the site becomes something less awful: pay-to-play moderator positions (the only button that works is the one that lets you probe yourself though)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Crane Fist posted:

They should make me a mod. I promise right now to be arbitrary and vengeful, but also very terse

Sounds legit

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

scary ghost dog posted:

i think it mightve been the gbs anonymous confessions thread......unfortunatrly this casts doubt on all of the admissions therein which was of course the point of the thread.

I couldn't read those threads for that reason, the likelihood of the most disturbing posts being a troll or sincere was exactly 50/50

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

New revenue stream idea for when the site becomes something less awful: pay-to-play moderator positions (the only button that works is the one that lets you probe yourself though)

Two words.

Loot Boxes.

Also asking for medical advice from SA should be probation worthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

MarcusSA posted:

Two words.

Loot Boxes.

Also asking for medical advice from SA should be probation worthy.

Jeff said he won't close any more subforums so sadly TGD will torment us for the foreseeable future