Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Pistol_Pete posted:

On this subject, there's an absolutely extraordinary story in the Sunday Times about how the housing market is now becoming gummed up because every single flat built since 1945 is made out of paper mache and petrol and banks are refusing to grant mortgages against them. The more they're inspected, the more awful stuff gets uncovered. I'm quoting the whole article, 'cos the whole thing's mental:

Don't worry, I'm sure that some benevolent Crassus will offer to take these places off peoples hands at a very reasonable price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
If only there was some way to work out who Persimmon - Block 4566060 Ltd ultimately had as a controlling company when it wound up taking all its legal obligations with it.

Oh well

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/f0b6022c-8974-4052-8b6c-595fbb9f2b89

gently caress the Labour Party imo

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

my wife, baby and I are in that exact situation with an unsellable flat and a decade of resolution time. Short of an insane cash buyer turning up, our only way out is to join the landlord class and let it out and rent/buy somewhere else.

I am prepared.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

sebzilla posted:

gently caress the Labour Party imo

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1307593536246878208?s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lmao

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1307425239203274753?s=19

Evrim
Nov 15, 2005

yum!!
Any predictions for the big buzzfeed scoop today?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Are we really still on the thing of demanding Prime Ministers commit to nuclear armageddon as a policy position.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

My favourite part is including Diane Abbott in the "former leadership" picture purely to induce extra rage in the usual swarm of cunts.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Time to check back in with our good old frieOH GOD

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
But at least we're doing better than those drat frogs :smug: case closed, no action required

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

My favourite part of that Times article is this:

quote:

Land typically makes up more than 70% of a property’s price, up from 50% 20 years ago — raising pressure to build cheaply.

Gosh, who would have thought that allowing the one natural resource necessary for the construction of literally anything and everything in the entire loving country to be subject to market conditions would be a really loving stupid thing to do. Who could have predicted it.

Melissa McCarthyism
Jan 18, 2007

Don't like Matt Hancock but I actually feel sorry for him a tiny, tiny bit, trying to explain to Marr about lockdowns. Yeah the government has hosed the dog but Marr is really pushing for a release of restrictions here and Hancock is so useless he can't muster the power to tell Marr to soundly gently caress off.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
loving hell Starmer is still there on national TV saying he'd support the government.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

Specifically the ending

Yes, that's an unironic terrible take so bad that you should have kept it buried, because it's something that's harmful and is going to come back and hurt somebody.

That's the literal justification used for the massacring of Jews in the 13th and 14th centuries. How can one human being be so absolutely stupid and still draw breath.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

The paywall there stopping me from reading any of the article is inconvenient, yes, but I'm not sure we can blame the Labour Party for that one

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Angepain posted:

The paywall there stopping me from reading any of the article is inconvenient, yes, but I'm not sure we can blame the Labour Party for that one

https://github.com/iamadamdev/bypass-paywalls-chrome/blob/master/README.md

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Christ Starmer is absolutely shite isnt he.

Melissa McCarthyism
Jan 18, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

loving hell Starmer is still there on national TV saying he'd support the government.

Simultaneously not taking a stance on literally any issue? This can't be their guy?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Found the worst take:

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1307586620418396160?s=19

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Melissa McCarthyism posted:

Simultaneously not taking a stance on literally any issue? This can't be their guy?

Marr: Heres too options, which do you prefer?

Starmer: I can't tell you which one i'd prefer now, in 4 years time I can.

Marr: Do you want No deal?

Starmer: No I don't

Marr: So of those two options you'd prefer an extension?

Starmer: No i'm not saying that I'm saying balaskhsiosahooijhaslk;jhask;ljaspojsa

What a oval office.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

serious gaylord posted:

This has consistently been his only policy except for mewling that Jeremy Corbyn bad

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

quote:

After five years under Jeremy Corbyn’s leftwing leadership, the UK Labour party enters the “virtual” party conference season under new management and with an apparently prosaic but vital mission: to persuade voters it can be “trusted running the economy”.

So said Rachel Reeves, a former Bank of England economist dubbed a “Red Tory” by hardline Corbynistas, who is now a prominent figure as new leader Keir Starmer seeks to transform the party to regain public trust after a disastrous result in last December’s general election.

Ms Reeves, who shadows cabinet office minister Michael Gove, wholly endorses the leader’s attempt to pull the party back to the centre ground, which included a purge of Mr Corbyn’s supporters.

Next week Sir Keir will set out his stall at the annual Labour conference, being held online because of coronavirus restrictions. But radical new members who flocked to the party under Mr Corbyn are likely to miss some of the former leader’s leftist zeal.

“Labour needs to demonstrate we can be trusted running the economy, being competent and sensible,” said Ms Reeves, a London-born former youth chess champion and now a Leeds MP.

“I’d rather have a competent and sensible prime minister than the one we have at the moment, the public will see the contrast between Keir Starmer and Boris Johnson and like it.”

Sir Keir considered making Ms Reeves his shadow chancellor, which would have been a hugely controversial choice among the party’s leftwing members: instead he gave her the cabinet office role.

Even so, the appointment of Ms Reeves, who last served in the shadow cabinet under Ed Miliband before 2015 and refused to do so under Mr Corbyn, was a sign of his intent.

Anyone expecting Sir Keir’s new team to roll out a suite of new policy initiatives this week will be disappointed. “I don’t think we’re at the stage for policies yet,” says Ms Reeves.

Instead the shadow minister suggests that the new leadership is in listening mode, in particular in the “red wall”, mostly northern, seats that were lost en masse last December — many of which had voted Leave in the 2016 Brexit referendum.

“It was not just 2019 that people were sending us a message, it has been for quite a long time now,” she said.

“They just didn’t feel that Labour spoke for them: we spoke at them rather than with them. They felt that their values haven’t changed but the Labour party has changed and they didn’t recognise the party any more.”

Ms Reeves said her party needed to show “humility” and listen to voters, starting by accepting that the party’s former opposition to Brexit had added to the alienation of core supporters.

Sir Keir has in recent weeks adopted the slogan of “Get Brexit Done”, accepting that trying to stop the UK leaving the EU is now pointless and trying to put the onus on Mr Johnson to show that his own policy can be a success.

“We want the Tories to deliver the deal that they promised people,” said Ms Reeves, pointing out that it had taken more than four years and three prime ministers since the EU referendum to get to this stage.

She warned that the sudden ending of the furlough job support scheme in October would “pull the rug” from under a huge number of workers. “We've always said the furlough scheme can't go on forever, but there's a real danger in the one-size-fits-all removal of support from businesses and people still impacted by coronavirus restrictions,” she said.

As for her leftwing critics, she retorted: “I have been a Labour party member for 25 years, I have campaigned in every election since then, I will be in the Labour party a lot longer than some of the people who have criticised me.”

As chair of the House of Commons business select committee during the last parliament she led formidable inquiries into issues such as the collapse of Carillion, the former construction and outsourcing group.

In 2018 she made a speech calling for £20bn a year of new wealth taxes to address inequalities in the UK: including higher capital gains tax, a land tax and a cut in pension tax relief.

Now she strikes a very different note, saying life has moved on since the coronavirus pandemic struck. “It would be the wrong thing to increase taxes right now because we need to make sure there is more money flowing through the economy to support jobs and the recovery,” she said.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Melissa McCarthyism posted:

Don't like Matt Hancock but I actually feel sorry for him a tiny, tiny bit, trying to explain to Marr about lockdowns. Yeah the government has hosed the dog but Marr is really pushing for a release of restrictions here and Hancock is so useless he can't muster the power to tell Marr to soundly gently caress off.

never feel sorry for these sons of bitches

ever

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/esrdogrescue/status/1307608971738578945?s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I meant to link this tweet but I'll.leave that one up

https://twitter.com/Jamin2g/status/1307603369780015104?s=19

https://twitter.com/KayBurley/status/1307596594200576000?s=19

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

stev posted:

Found the worst take:

I love how the load-bearing paragraph of proof that the book is not, in fact, transphobic is based on a random amazon review and some cis guy writing for the loving Spectator

Like yeah, the initial outrage was from one summary in the Telegraph and some often-mislabelled screenshots from her previous books, which could maybe have waited for some confirmation elsewhere for it to be targeted at this book, but a) it's not like she has no record at all of transphobia before and is completely innocent, though I'm sure the loving Spectator will disagree b) the screenshots were genuine ones from other books she's written so the statement "Rowling writes offensive guff" would still be valid, and c) oh would you look at that it turns out the transphobic author did in fact write a massively yikes amalgam of transphobic tropes in a character, even if Sensible Cis Guardian Journalist here thinks it's fine because JK didn't use the word "trans" to describe him

Hey, maybe trans people might be worth listening to from time to time on whether something is transphobic before you decide it's all completely made up and hysterical. I'm sure this modern progressive newspaper has a few trans contacts they can get to provide expertise on this issue that haven't completely sworn off contributing

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

But at least we're doing better than those drat frogs :smug: case closed, no action required

So that graph shows this second wave flattening off to almost having peaked?

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
It's this thinking that being transphobic (or racist, or misogynist etc) is something that you ARE rather than something that you DO. Everywhere there are people not listening, you find it, and it just leaves people writing smug op eds or shouting past each other, confident that they can't possibly be the problem because they have a trans friend, or a black friend while participating in structural oppression and ignoring people's criticisms of what they're still getting wrong.

That's not to say that there aren't racist or sexist or transphobic people, of course there are. But like I've lost family members to the brain worms who've been swearing up and down they're not a racist but... and not transphobic but... and out come the "legitimate concerns". It's like, look at yourself

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Is there one of these that splits Scotland, England, Ireland and Wales out?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

kecske posted:

I am prepared.

You're also gonna drown the next time it rains.

Our political class is obsessed with the idea that being willing to incinerate hundreds of thousands of people is the mark of a true leader, but under the logic of MAD isn't this kind of the right answer? You can't say you'll never use them because then whats the point in having them, but if you say "oh yeah I'll totally use em, and i'll strike first" like May did just encoruages your hypothetical enemies to nuke you first. The only appropriate response is "maaaaaaaybe" and to wiggle your eyebrows.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Our political class is obsessed with the idea that being willing to incinerate hundreds of thousands of people is the mark of a true leader, but under the logic of MAD isn't this kind of the right answer? You can't say you'll never use them because then whats the point in having them, but if you say "oh yeah I'll totally use em, and i'll strike first" like May did just encoruages your hypothetical enemies to nuke you first. The only appropriate response is "maaaaaaaybe" and to wiggle your eyebrows.

my lmao was because it'll piss off the gammons

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The Oxford trial has hosed someone else's spine up.
Waiting for the completely independent and expert regulators to say its fine

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Isomermaid posted:

It's this thinking that being transphobic (or racist, or misogynist etc) is something that you ARE rather than something that you DO.

This is a good way of putting it. I sort of think the same is true of "bad" and "good". Good people do good things sometimes and vice versa (see the worst person you know made a valid point dot jpg) and this shorthand of good/bad/racist people is making it more difficult to deal with.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Or it shows that testing capacity isn't keeping up with cases, that seems more likely to me.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Miftan posted:

This is a good way of putting it. I sort of think the same is true of "bad" and "good". Good people do good things sometimes and vice versa (see the worst person you know made a valid point dot jpg) and this shorthand of good/bad/racist people is making it more difficult to deal with.
OTOH if you're obsessed with a certain group, whether it's 'the Jews' or 'the trans' or whatever being behind every single one of societies ills to the point that it warps your worldview, that does kinda become a 'who you are' issue.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I'd almost like to see just one leader come out with a truly crazy take on it, like "I would immediately decommission Trident by airbursting it 1000ft above Brussels and Strasbourg" just to see what the reaction to it within the chattering classes would be. They're fake aghast at the idea that someone would never use nukes, so what would their reaction to the opposite extreme be?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Working as intended, that's a surefire way to avoid the COVID

Guavanaut posted:

OTOH if you're obsessed with a certain group, whether it's 'the Jews' or 'the trans' or whatever being behind every single one of societies ills to the point that it warps your worldview, that does kinda become a 'who you are' issue.

This checks out, I'm a capitalistphobe

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Kin posted:

Is there one of these that splits Scotland, England, Ireland and Wales out?

The FT's interactive graphs have a whole bunch of options, this link should work (though of course usual caveats about smaller areas likely to show more variation):
Linear scale:

Log scale:

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I think that's an overly optimistic interpretation of what could just be a slight hiccup in the graph.

Isomermaid posted:

It's this thinking that being transphobic (or racist, or misogynist etc) is something that you ARE rather than something that you DO.

I keep coming back to this video from 2008 about how this applies to conversations about race and drat if it isn't still massively relevant to every conversation about any kind of prejudice ever

Angepain fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Sep 20, 2020

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

Or it shows that testing capacity isn't keeping up with cases, that seems more likely to me.

But its lower than our previous peak whilst our testing capability since that point has increased?

Also way lower than France and Spain but I thought I read we were testing more than them? Might be wrong on that though.

Angepain posted:

I think that's an overly optimistic interpretation of what could just be a slight hiccup in the graph.

This is true though, Spain's graph had several similar points before loving off up into the stratosphere again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

This checks out, I'm a capitalistphobe
:same:

I would invite the richest industrialists and landowners to an exclusive event on Pitcairn and then decommission Trident over it, but I'm scared that a new kind of super-nonce would survive it.