Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/rbrooks45/status/1307672964025012224?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Starting to think maybe just rounding up everyone over 50 to be safe

https://twitter.com/hugorifkind/status/1307632875995639808?s=19

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean at least he's right that there are a lot of tunnels underneath london which is better than some of them manage.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

kingturnip posted:

The only thing Keir's 'strategy' has going for it is that Boris is the Prime Minister. When covid-1 is dealt with and the Tories kick Boris out of a window and usher in someone else, Keir's hosed.

depends who gets in.
also depends on it happening, obviously if boris wants to go i think that will do it, if he doesn't it gets much less likely. this was his life's ambition is he going to give it up quickly?

if its rishi and he gets the media onside kier is completely hosed
if its priti or gove kier has a shot for different reasons, i think his best shot is vs gove

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Omg Paul knows too much.
Code Magenta, I repeat Code Magenta.
Clean up team and body double replacement are on their way.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
We are charging headlong into probably the most apocalyptic recession this country has ever seen. There is no one the Tories will be able to nominate to avoid that, especially not the face of the economy Rishi Sunak.

As painful as it is to watch, Starmer saying nothing and committing to nothing and being a completely blank slate is almost certainly going to end up with him as PM.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Hmm yes the Tories won't use that as an excuse to bring back stuff like the death penalty to keep the spiteful old people on board

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I mean at least he's right that there are a lot of tunnels underneath london which is better than some of them manage.

They can't even dig out the foundations of a building without hitting the Central Line (and it's telling that the three different stories similar to this I found when searching weren't actually the one I was thinking of and I hadn't even heard of two of them), every builder in London would be telling stories about mole children if the pedo tunnels existed.

(Incidentally I'm still working on the post about the actual secret network of tunnels under London but I keep getting distracted by the helicopter hovering over my house all the time when I start writing)

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

peanut- posted:

We are charging headlong into probably the most apocalyptic recession this country has ever seen. There is no one the Tories will be able to nominate to avoid that, especially not the face of the economy Rishi Sunak.

As painful as it is to watch, Starmer saying nothing and committing to nothing and being a completely blank slate is almost certainly going to end up with him as PM.

i think thats a good assumption

but there is virtually no limit to the amount of normalising and slow boiling the pot the media can do, its whose side they get on

and even then, even boris has a path to victory in a collapsed economy vs kier - culture war bullshit with depressed turnout for everyone under 60

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
I buy my children from Nandos. Where do you get yours?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I will never cease to be amazed by the human capacity for insanity, in terms of the response to 'maybe we could just make things a bit easier for vulnerable people' to somehow respond with "No, the mole pedos want you to wear masks to harvest adrenochrome! Only the objectively worst people on earth can save us!"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The recent folding ideas video about it is a good watch. Broadly it is easier for people to double down and rewrite reality than it is for them to accept vulnerability and culpability.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
God I bet French QAnon is having a field day with the Parisian catacombs full of literal skeletal remains and all the fake buildings that are just a facade for the Metro vents.

quote:

The recent folding ideas video about it is a good watch. Broadly it is easier for people to double down and rewrite reality than it is for them to accept vulnerability and culpability.

Yep, posting again, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTfhYyTuT44

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The economy can go in the shitter and the Tories have a ready made excuse thanks to the pandemic

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

blunt posted:

Anybody wanna recommend any sellers? Just looking for nice plain cotton masks in different colours.
We’ve been using these ones from Elle for a few months now. If you pay a quid more you can get them in black instead.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The last "proper" one I tried to use I had to take off because when I was doing anything at all exerting I ended up waterboarding myself with my own condensed saliva.

So I definitely am not a fan of the synthetic fabric ones.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

every builder in London would be telling stories about mole children if the pedo tunnels existed.

I’ll have you know that we only have the finest paedo tunnels here in London, thank you very much.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Why would you even need tunnels when we have powerful nonces walking around in the open and nothing gets done?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Guavanaut posted:

Why would you even need tunnels when we have powerful nonces walking around in the open and nothing gets done?

It's the secret nonces you have to worry about, I guess.

There's a story in the Mirror about Johnson considering lifting the rule of six for christmas day (because apparently covid takes christmas off? IDK), which does make big brain genius sense from a PR perspective sadly because it means a week prior to a no deal brexit, you'll have the papers fawning over him for letting people see family at christmas... then the infection spike this causes will be all over the news at the point where the immediate impacts of no deal start hitting hard and fast.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Guavanaut posted:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

It's the secret nonces you have to worry about, I guess.

There's a story in the Mirror about Johnson considering lifting the rule of six for christmas day (because apparently covid takes christmas off? IDK), which does make big brain genius sense from a PR perspective sadly because it means a week prior to a no deal brexit, you'll have the papers fawning over him for letting people see family at christmas... then the infection spike this causes will be all over the news at the point where the immediate impacts of no deal start hitting hard and fast.

Have they even indicated that the measure will still be in place by Christmas? I'd have thought they wouldn't want to admit that.

And everyone's going to see family on Christmas day regardless.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

There would be a certain karmic schadenfreude from the tories amassing a huge brexit fund, by fining all the gammons 10k each for breaking the christmas curfew.

Lazy journos, there's your onomatopoeic attack phrase.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

stev posted:

Have they even indicated that the measure will still be in place by Christmas? I'd have thought they wouldn't want to admit that.

And everyone's going to see family on Christmas day regardless.

It's from here https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-considering-lifting-rule-22712388, rule of six meant to be in force until the beginning of December except off the record for longer so idk. And yeah - people would ignore it anyway of course.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Could Boris even see all his kids at once under his current rules?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
No, it can only be people you already know.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Marmaduke! posted:

Could Boris even see all his kids at once under his current rules?

No. Also your milkshake can bring a maximum of five boys to the yard.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

peanut- posted:

Only Labour governments are seriously blamed for recessions. 1980-1, Thatcher: re-elected. 1990-1, Major: re-elected.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Actually it's a stupid question, he'd just take them grouse shooting. The undesirables could be the beaters I guess.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

happyhippy posted:

Kentucky fried children

Melissa McCarthyism
Jan 18, 2007

What exactly is the rule of 6 (At least in Northern Ireland)? I just found out there is a police function booked for my work for 50 people which doesn't seem right?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

happyhippy posted:

Little Chef

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Melissa McCarthyism posted:

What exactly is the rule of 6 (At least in Northern Ireland)? I just found out there is a police function booked for my work for 50 people which doesn't seem right?

Anything done within work environments or organised sport is exempt from the rule of 6.

'The Rule of Six' is the name of a oligarchy in a fictional novel. Prove me wrong.

Melissa McCarthyism
Jan 18, 2007

namesake posted:

Anything done within work environments or organised sport is exempt from the rule of 6.

'The Rule of Six' is the name of a oligarchy in a fictional novel. Prove me wrong.

Ah so its literally bullshit lol
Well I don't have to deal with it at least, I'm still waiting for them to make me redundant.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

namesake posted:

I just read a book called The Rule of Four.
About a real book Hypnerotomachia Poliphili--a renowned text attributed to an Italian nobleman, a work that has baffled scholars since its publication in 1499.
I finished the book and still don't know what the "Four" referred to.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
The Rule of Six might be lifted for Christmas Day, presumably to give the virus a day off.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

^^^ Making sure nobody goes without a feast on Xmas day, especially the virus.

I got confused for a second, but the Holmes story is called the Sign of the Four, the first book where Mary Morstan (Watson's eventual missus) first appears (spoilers).

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Jose posted:

The economy can go in the shitter and the Tories have a ready made excuse thanks to the pandemic

tbh I can't really think of an example of the public caring about an excuse for the economy being in the shitter. Whether those reasons are real and valid or made up and nonsense, bad economy = deathknell for incumbents.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That does depend on how many people the tories can insulate from it, which, of course, their core base of bloodthirsty pensioners, almost entirely are.

Of course it is possible (probable) that labour will run on "we won't raise any taxes" and simply be the tory continuity party. Which will be much better, of course.

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020

OwlFancier posted:

For a few short years I did believe children lived in tunnels underneath London.

In my defense I was a child and it was all my dads fault. He took me to the Natural History Museum when I was six. On the tube he told me to never let go of my hand or I would never find my way out again. My natural curiosity saw this well intentioned lie turn into a tale of feral children living on dropped food, raw rats and having eyes as big as saucers. He loving scared me to death. At least I realised it was a load of poo poo eventually. Other poo poo he filled my head with stayed there a lot longer to my embarrassment when I attempted to buy the more expensive upstairs bus ticket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
There are sewer kids, in Romania.
But gently caress them, no time to help as there are fictional ones to worry about.