Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Let them go, that sounds more interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Letting them go is sure to piss off everyone in your party, which is a good thing in itself because they are terrible and I hate them. On top of that, it establishes grounds for negotiations down the line. Unless Drastus or whoever else for him plan to make you a liar again.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Huh. Good LP, TGEK, but I'm particularly interested in the direction you seem to be going.

Note about the iron, though: the reason that people are worried about it falling into the hands of the rebels isn't because it's iron, like the rings used as currency. It's super-special iron with magic in it, forged by literal mages to be the best instrument possible, and the reason why it's the purview of the court is because it's actually really important to the war effort. Not saying the fighting force called Iron Legion isn't taking the whole thing too far, just kinda agreeing that the Oathbreaker having this is, in fact, a massive cock-up on the part of the Disfavored...

Also, goddamn it, that's where the Atrophy Sigil is in the wild? I keep discovering new things (and I can't go back to Vendrien's, Jesus Christ, I've restarted three times since the LP began)

resurgam40 fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Sep 20, 2020

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
The Vendrien Guard broke their oath of surrender once before, they at least shall not be allowed to live.

Fight Sybil, let the village go

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

mortons stork posted:

Letting them go is sure to piss off everyone in your party, which is a good thing in itself because they are terrible and I hate them.
Lantry is probably the best friend our character can have. Even if he miiiight be a spy given the trend the other NPCs show.

e:

resurgam40 posted:

Also, goddamn it, that's where the Atrophy Sigil is in the wild? I keep discovering new things (and I can't go back to Vendrien's, Jesus Christ, I've restarted three times since the LP began)
Very much in the same boat here, although I managed to miss the cone AoE modifier as well.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Sep 20, 2020

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
I have always gone to Tripnestle before Echocall, I have never done things in this order.

I notice that we only have one quest marker out in the East part of the valley.

You didn't take on the quest to find the Earthshakers, at least not yet

Let Them Go

Servetus fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Sep 20, 2020

rastilin
Nov 6, 2010
Let them go. devildragon777 raised the excellent point that it's not our job to kill everyone, so we shouldn't bother and stick to our actual job.

I disagree that either group is competent, if the Scarlet Furies really were able to burn this place to the ground, they would already have done it. The Disfavored being around doesn't change anything unless the Scarlet Furies are deliberately holding back. It's the same for the Disfavored, if they were able to win, they would have done so without needing help from the Furies. The point about them being able to suck because they're the only side with WMDs seems apt here.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Our job was to take the village. The village is taken.
Our objective is to put those schmucks in Ascension Hall. Whether these people live or die is irrelevant.
The only point of contention here is Matani Sybil herself, who seems like a decent enough sort. I bet letting her live won't immediately bite us in the rear end but I'm not opposed to killing her.
gently caress it, let 'em go.

BoxofWoe
Jan 12, 2019
Hmmm... This is tricky to think about, on the one hand if we fight them and let the villagers go, we show that our primary concern is dealing with these rebels and oath breakers, we could spin the propaganda machine to say that our magnanimous actions are simply for the good of the people in that respect. The problem is that we then leave the villages to the mercy of Ashe and Nerat, neither of whom have inspired much confidence to maintain order. If we let them all go, conversely, it's letting enemy soldiers leave and build back up strength, but shows that we are willing to win the conflict with minimal bloodshed.

Ultimately I say we let them all go.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Lantry is probably the best friend our character can have. Even if he miiiight be a spy given the trend the other NPCs show.

True, Lantry doesn't deserve that scorn. But pissing off the Scarlet Chorus and the Disfavored is always good.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

BoxofWoe posted:

Hmmm... This is tricky to think about, on the one hand if we fight them and let the villagers go, we show that our primary concern is dealing with these rebels and oath breakers, we could spin the propaganda machine to say that our magnanimous actions are simply for the good of the people in that respect. The problem is that we then leave the villages to the mercy of Ashe and Nerat, neither of whom have inspired much confidence to maintain order. If we let them all go, conversely, it's letting enemy soldiers leave and build back up strength, but shows that we are willing to win the conflict with minimal bloodshed.

Ultimately I say we let them all go.

But our primary concern isn't dealing with rebels and oathbreakers. We're here to one, read the edict (done) and two, save our own skin (in progress). There's really not much we can do about Ashe and Nerat at the moment and we don't really have any stake in this conflict beyond the terms of the edict.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Radio Free Kobold posted:

But our primary concern isn't dealing with rebels and oathbreakers. We're here to one, read the edict (done) and two, save our own skin (in progress). There's really not much we can do about Ashe and Nerat at the moment and we don't really have any stake in this conflict beyond the terms of the edict.

Not only that but we should pretty much have negative loyalty values to both Ashe and Nerat by this point, considering how they've both been trying to gently caress us over ever since we arrived. What possible incentive do we have to make either of their lives any easier?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Our objective is to take Ascension Hall from the rebels. I take it as implied that that is their headquarters and claiming it would end their uprising. As such it seems like a pretty sure thing that letting these warriors go would just lead to them reinforcing their stronghold, where they hold a much greater advantage than they do here.

Let the villagers go, though. They are subjects beneath Kyros' notice. Kyros won't care whether they live or die so there's no point expending effort on killing them. Plus it makes us look less like a monstrous swarm.

Battle the rebels, let the villagers go.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

EclecticTastes posted:

Also, nobody has brought up how the dude whose penchant for subterfuge is literally supernatural was given command of the least subtle people on the continent. Almost as though someone was deliberately preventing Nerat from placing spies in any remotely organized or respectable institution by making his only underlings a bunch of murderous psychopaths and terrified peasants, and Nerat's such a sadistic egomaniac that he's having too much fun to notice.

Oh the Chorus is wholey Nerat's thing. If you side with Nerat you can get his entire idea behind the grand experiment that is the Chorus and what it's ultimate purpose is. Hint: it isn't fighting wars.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Let everyone go.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Let everyone go.

We won the battle and our orders are explicitly to capture ascension hall. Wasting time to pillage a village seems like a bad idea.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
You pantywaists are afraid to get your hands dirty.

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015
Sybil's sword looks cool so let's go full-HD murderhobo on that and let the villagers go while at it

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
While our current mission is to take Ascension Hall, our job is upholding Kyros' law. These rebels are oathbreakers and took up arms against Kyros. If they will not surrender, then Kill the rebels, but spare the peasants.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

We're here to take Ascension hall, gently caress the Archons. Let them go if they want.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

EclecticTastes posted:

Also, nobody has brought up how the dude whose penchant for subterfuge is literally supernatural was given command of the least subtle people on the continent. Almost as though someone was deliberately preventing Nerat from placing spies in any remotely organized or respectable institution by making his only underlings a bunch of murderous psychopaths and terrified peasants, and Nerat's such a sadistic egomaniac that he's having too much fun to notice.

Go read what Fifth Eye said after the combat. The trial by combat was done by the customs Nerat set out. Kyros isn't forcing the Archons to gently caress up this badly, Kyros is just getting out of the way and letting these idiots make themselves vulnerable.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

sunken fleet posted:

Not only that but we should pretty much have negative loyalty values to both Ashe and Nerat by this point, considering how they've both been trying to gently caress us over ever since we arrived. What possible incentive do we have to make either of their lives any easier?

Nerat's been trying to gently caress you over. Ashe has not been trying to gently caress you over. Ashe's whole thing is, however, collapsing in on itself in the way Ashe's thing always collapses in on itself, because his soldiers can't accurately assess the threat posed by their enemies, his commanders are too obsessed with trying to get sempai to notice them to make good strategic decisions, and every time they've gotten in over their heads up until now Kyros was on standby to hit the nuke button.

Nerat has gone to a great deal of effort to present Ashe as an incompetent moron who is why everything is going badly. if Nerat wasn't such an egotist, he probably would have realized he didn't need to sell it that hard.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I think that, in addition to this particular iron being made by literal forge wizards, the big thing for iron is that it's easier to mass produce. A good bronze sword and a good iron sword are about on par with each other, sure, but it's way easier to make a good iron sword, so that means you can make more, which means more of your troops have good equipment.

As for the actual vote, I say let the civilians go, put down the guard. In keeping with the whole "true purpose of the law" thing, it is good to be known as someone who will show mercy...once. If you lay down arms and surrender peacefully, you will be treated well. But there are no second chances and Kyros doesn't gently caress around gently caress up yes, around no. You go back on that, and you're done. We want them to have an incentive to surrender and stay surrendered.

Also:

quote:

I just want to point out that Barik is able to make this crossing with no issues. Antio's heavy troops could cross by rope. We could have kept making dick jokes with Sybil to get the Disfavored across, but Antio is a fuckup and Bitter Quip is just giving him the rope.

I see what you did there. :golfclap:

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007

MechaCrash posted:

I think that, in addition to this particular iron being made by literal forge wizards, the big thing for iron is that it's easier to mass produce. A good bronze sword and a good iron sword are about on par with each other, sure, but it's way easier to make a good iron sword, so that means you can make more, which means more of your troops have good equipment.

The other thing is that iron is plentiful and easy to find. Bronze needs tin, and on earth at least there were only a few sources for tin and if trade got disrupted or they ran out you suddenly couldn't make any more bronze. This is what ended the bronze age, trade got disrupted and suddenly you couldn't get tin to make bronze and everyone had to figure out how to smelt iron better.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Go read what Fifth Eye said after the combat. The trial by combat was done by the customs Nerat set out. Kyros isn't forcing the Archons to gently caress up this badly, Kyros is just getting out of the way and letting these idiots make themselves vulnerable.

Ah, right, I'd forgotten that detail, like I said, it's been a while since I last played. Still, it's interesting that, with a more organized force, Nerat could be a real threat to Kyros, given his abilities as Archon of Secrets, but here he is leading a pack of insane murderhobos. But it's true that this is more a situation where Kyros is giving Nerat enough rope to hang himself (because it would have been entirely reasonable for the god-king of the world to say "quit with the pillaging, make your forces civilized", but he never bothered), rather than actively undermining his abilities.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Let the civilians go, put down the guard. The guard already had a chance to surrender, but they blew it.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Let them all go. What could go wrong?

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

McGavin posted:

Let the civilians go, put down the guard. The guard already had a chance to surrender, but they blew it.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Let the civilians go. The guard already surrendered once.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Guildenstern Mother posted:

You pantywaists are afraid to get your hands dirty.

Yes, but that doesn't make it wrong. Right now we're caught between two armies that are, at best, neutral on the subject of our continued survival, with Graven Ashe's racist bullshit acting as an active impediment to our goals and Nerat compensating for a lack of racism by doubling down on every other kind of bullshit asshattery. On top of that, the boss is maybe trying to get us killed.

It's good to have a fallback plan in times like that. And when plotting treason, it's good to follow Jesus's advice and start making friends with the boss's enemies before you get fired.

An honorable compromise. Just walk away. Give me your pump, the oil, the gasoline, and the whole compound, and I'll spare your lives. Just walk away and we'll give you a safe passageway in the wastelands.

Jolene
Jan 1, 2019

McGavin posted:

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
let em all go

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

does magic in this game run on a Vancian type system, or is there MP and stuff?

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Anfauglir posted:

The other thing is that iron is plentiful and easy to find. Bronze needs tin, and on earth at least there were only a few sources for tin and if trade got disrupted or they ran out you suddenly couldn't make any more bronze. This is what ended the bronze age, trade got disrupted and suddenly you couldn't get tin to make bronze and everyone had to figure out how to smelt iron better.

Interestingly, the excellent ACOUP blog is just starting a series on iron production, which has already had a bunch to say on this topic.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

:moreevil: Kill em all.

Mostly to see the consequences, since I don't think I did it before. S'also probably going to tick off the scarlet chorus by denying recruits, which is its own reward.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Let them go

Sometimes you have to declare peace to really keep your enemies wrong footed

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

does magic in this game run on a Vancian type system, or is there MP and stuff?

Neither. All spells are on cooldown timers, and you can only equip a finite number of them.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Which spells you can actually equip depends on your Lore stat. Each Core has its own base Lore to use, and the Expression you add on top of that has a lore requirement, and these are added together. There are also Accents to boost various aspects of the spell which raise the lore requirement, but the Core and Expression combine to determine what the spell actually does.

I know that the Fatebinder's number of available spell slots defaults to two and you can take traits for more, but I don't remember what determines how many the others get. I'm sure that will be covered in due time.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

let them all go

Sure we should do our job and kill them, but lady penis finger is a treasure that should be protected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

One advantage of Ashe's need for self-justification is that once he decides to betray you he'll need to spend time coming up with a suitable excuse, giving you a chance to notice and form a counterplan. Whereas Nerat probably doesn't even know himself until ten seconds before he does it, making him harder to predict.