Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
If the chinazi regime wont allow foreign tech firms to operate there, Chinese tech firms shouldn't be allowed to operate anywhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
They can install 5g equipment in my apartment if they make a generous purchase of beads from my shell company.....

Wealth beyond measure Outlander

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
https://twitter.com/DSORennie/status/1306622098333343745
The nefarious CCP appeals to the poor by improving their material conditions, instead of doing it the proper way with empty gestures and platitudes

hakimashou posted:

If the chinazi regime wont allow foreign tech firms to operate there, Chinese tech firms shouldn't be allowed to operate anywhere else.

Does the "nazi" part mean you're for or against?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
rural economic development is an oxymoron. moving peeps into cities works, developing rural regions does not

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
but what if they're wearing glasses

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Porfiriato posted:

I'm 99.9% sure it's not possible for an outside party to wipe an app from a normal iOS/Android device.

Lol

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

bob dobbs is dead posted:

rural economic development is an oxymoron. moving peeps into cities works, developing rural regions does not

Clearly, they should have left you in whatever pigshit pond you spawned from.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if you think it isnt true gimme a counterexample

taipei of your username, forex, is extremely not a counterexample

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

if you think it isnt true gimme a counterexample

taipei of your username, forex, is extremely not a counterexample

Hi, still posting from New Zealand, where our economy is largely driven by the rural sector which sees significant development by governmental and non governmental organizations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
87% of new zealand pop and 92% of new zealand gdp is in cities lol

30th most urbanized country in the world

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
peep this one

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urbanization_by_country?wprov=sfti1

and count the number of countries below 50% which are actually fully economically developed

its liechtenstein, which is literally too small to have a city and is dense as hell anyways

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
5000 years of taking back the private sector, outlander.

https://www.asiatimesfinancial.com/ccp-announces-plan-to-take-control-of-chinas-private-sector

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

This came out Wednesday. I want to poo-poo it (Pooh Pooh, heh), but every time I’ve done that, i’ve been wrong. Stay safe, guys :(

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

87% of new zealand pop and 92% of new zealand gdp is in cities lol

30th most urbanized country in the world

An urban area in New Zealand is defined as 1000 or more people. That's not a city.
Our biggest city, Auckland, is 70% rural by land area.
A great deal of business in urban areas is in support of rural activities.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

SK continues its 20 years of absolute domination of the gender pay gap in OECD countries. Just blowing everyone else out of the water.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Weka posted:

An urban area in New Zealand is defined as 1000 or more people. That's not a city.

i mean, just because you make sheep shearing machines and the sheep shearing machines wouldnt be made w/o the sheep doesnt mean that the sheep shearing machine factory is rural economic development

the necessary expertise and the technology for mechanized farming and oil poo poo and other stuff comes from the cities. and its the technology and expertise that makes new zealand logging and poo poo more productive than, say, congolese or brazillian logging

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Sep 20, 2020

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What the hell are you on about?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
MKULTRA is a helluva thing.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
rural economic development initiatives have a brutally high failure rate. when they have not failed, they have made the region they were developing not rural anymore

prc has had the "lets make the region not rural anymore" with lots of success, and now its looking like they'll try "lets keep the region rural" and that is a thing w a hell of a lot less success rate historically

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
What are they doing that indicates they want to keep these regions rural? All I've seen are stories about clusters of skyscraper apartment buildings popping up in bumfuck nowhere.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
my inderstanding of the messaging behind the chen xiwen law and his whole dealio is that its about "rural revitalization"

which is prolly not gonna be a thing

forex, hes real pessimistic about the continued growth of urbanization in "Forty years of rural reform in China: retrospect and future prospects", and they did the weird shimmying around w goals for the 5 year plan ending 2020 for urbanization, which he admits in the paper was a bust

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Sep 20, 2020

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Agreed we should replace everything with concrete and move ppl to megacities

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
FOOD? Who the gently caress needs FOOD?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Weka posted:

In many parts of the English speaking world, 1000 people is enough for a city. Some places do not distinguish between cities and towns. Texas, for example, has no townships. The minimum size you need for a municipality in TX is 600 people. You cannot be a "home rule city" with your own charter and such until you reach 5000 people, but there are plenty of tiny cities all over Texas. The same is true throughout the United States.

I grew up in a 14k person city in West Texas surrounded by millions upon millions of head of cattle. Hereford isn't what most Texans or Americans would think of as a city, but it absolutely is one legally. All of the business inside Hereford would be urban activity in support of the rural activity outside it. The money, though, was not in the city. The urban activity is next to nothing compared to the feed lots in the county.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Sep 20, 2020

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Mr. Nice! posted:

In many parts of the English speaking world, 1000 people is enough for a city. Some places do not distinguish between cities and towns. Texas, for example, has no townships. The minimum size you need for a municipality in TX is 600 people. You cannot be a "home rule city" with your own charter and such until you reach 5000 people, but there are plenty of tiny cities all over Texas. The same is true throughout the United States.

I grew up in a 14k person city in West Texas surrounded by millions upon millions of head of cattle. Hereford isn't what most Texans or Americans would think of as a city, but it absolutely is one legally. All of the business inside Hereford would be urban activity in support of the rural activity outside it. The money, though, was not in the city. The urban activity is next to nothing compared to the feed lots in the county.

Cities have cathedrals, 1000 people is a village.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Mr. Nice! posted:

Do you know Hassle-Free Hank? I'm desperately looking for the "Good old Hassle-Free Hank keeps an eye on the competition and make sure we get you the best deal [or something]" ad. Make your next car a Stevens deal!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

screamin and creamin posted:

Do you know Hassle-Free Hank? I'm desperately looking for the "Good old Hassle-Free Hank keeps an eye on the competition and make sure we get you the best deal [or something]" ad. Make your next car a Stevens deal!

steven's five star car and truck ceeeenteeeer

I haven't been back around that part of the world in more than a decade, so I'm way out of date on the commercials.

yaffle posted:

every little podunk 100 person community in america has a church in it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

Hell, the more podunk the community the higher the church density.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Great.
https://twitter.com/reutersLjungg/status/1307309114008260608

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Never has the phrase "ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW" sounded as menacing

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Mr. Nice! posted:

In the UK a town can only become a city when it has a cathedral, not a church, so unless those podunk churches have bishops they remain villages or towns, no matter how big they grow.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

yaffle posted:

In the UK a town can only become a city when it has a cathedral, not a church, so unless those podunk churches have bishops they remain villages or towns, no matter how big they grow.

No british bishop is a legitimate bishop, so unless your god-forsaken country coverts back to catholocism, the UK has absolutely zero cities.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

yaffle posted:

you arent a town until you have 2,500 residents and you arent a city until you have 10,000. i didn't make the rules i just follow em

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You don't unlock the city hall until 15,500 residents. If there's no city hall, is it truly a city?

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Guy Axlerod posted:

Facetime works, for now.

https://www.pacermonitor.com/public/case/35941810/US_WeChat_Users_Alliance_et_al

In the last update I saw, the government was arguing the suit was moot because users of wechat will not be subject to criminal liability for using wechat. Thanks.

The ban was put on hold for now and is making its way through the courts:

https://youtu.be/6qsZ21aPDus

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Times of London prints glowing reviews of Germany presented by the Voelkischer Beobachter!

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Dont Touch ME posted:

No british bishop is a legitimate bishop, so unless your god-forsaken country coverts back to catholocism, the UK has absolutely zero cities.
Becoming tradcath to own the libs

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grand Fromage posted:

You don't unlock the city hall until 15,500 residents. If there's no city hall, is it truly a city?

Which version of Simcity? or are we talking Skylines?

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

goblin week posted:

Becoming tradcath to own the libs

If you mean trading catheters count me in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

oohhboy posted:

Which version of Simcity? or are we talking Skylines?

God's Own SimCity, SC4.