Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Bussamove posted:

I always figured the Oldest House and objects of power in general had a sliding timeline going on— old enough to have entered the collective unconscious, but too old and they lose their archetypal nature and thus their power.

This means that in a few decades the Safe will be replaced with an indestructible Nokia phone for giving Shield. :v:

I don't know, some of the OoPs/Altered Items have been around for a while, judging by some of the reports you can read on them having gone through several revisions as FBC methodology improved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They do mention that the Service Weapon has evolved to fit the times with it previously being a sword (they imply it was Excalibur.)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Board basically tells you the Service Weapon resembles a gun because that's what you kids and your video games haved melded into your consciousness.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Service Weapon has basically been every mythical weapon throughout history, Excalibur and Mjolnir are just the forms specifically named.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I always laugh when I think of Arthur and co. trying to keep track of weird altered items way back when. Like, I dunno, a plow that eats people.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

I always laugh when I think of Arthur and co. trying to keep track of weird altered items way back when. Like, I dunno, a plow that eats people.

It was probably a lot easier for people to accept back then tbh. Just assume it’s enchanted fairy magic or something and no one would bat an eye at that explanation

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

haveblue posted:

The Service Weapon has basically been every mythical weapon throughout history, Excalibur and Mjolnir are just the forms specifically named.

gently caress grip, give me Mjolnir

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Aww man I just realized how cool it could have been to have your service weapon be different weapons instead being all shooty scooty

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

It was probably a lot easier for people to accept back then tbh. Just assume it’s enchanted fairy magic or something and no one would bat an eye at that explanation

I mean 'enchanted fairy magic' is basically the theme for SCP-type stuff.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

haveblue posted:

Varunastra as well, which was a mythical Indian weapon said to be able to assume the form of any other weapon and summon storms and tidal waves.

Also it would destroy anyone who wasn't properly prepared to wield it.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I just got Metro Exodus, its running like a dream on my new 2060. My little thing is it highjacking the lights on my keyboard via iCue for somewhat reactive ambient lighting.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Captain Hygiene posted:

A lot of Arthurian fiction involves a knight stumbling across something strange/obviously supernatural and then just loving with it to see what happens. They're a perfect fit, honestly.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah, that's actually kinda funny how natural it seems after thinking about it more in that direction.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

TontoCorazon posted:

Aww man I just realized how cool it could have been to have your service weapon be different weapons instead being all shooty scooty

Yeah Control is far from the worst offender in this sense but it definitely has that Christopher Nolan problem where every high concept Jungian reality bending imagination zone that pushes the limits of human creativity turns out to just be about guns

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Guns are the current weapon of our collective consciousness so it makes sense.

The documents about the Service Weapon also theorize that it might have been the first Object ever. I guess the thinking being that a weapon may have been one of the first objects (man-made) of our collective consciousness. Or maybe it was more specific and was about the prevalence of divine weapons and how those relate to Chosen Ones or leaders in societies and their myths.

Lobok has a new favorite as of 01:18 on Sep 21, 2020

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

noted documentary 2001: a space odyssey depicts the service weapon's first form, that of a bone

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

World War Mammories posted:

noted documentary 2001: a space odyssey depicts the service weapon's first form, that of a bone

This is canon

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Famous legendary weapons Excalibur, Mjolnir, Varunastra, and [loud ape grunt]

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

That'd be a good username if forums names accepted square parentheses.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Control 2

Designed by Platinum, written by Remedy Studios

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

RareAcumen posted:

Control 2

Designed by Platinum, written by Remedy Studios

The first game to somehow sell a negative number of copies.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Now I kind of want Assassin's Creed style Control where you use the service weapon through those ages

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Shiroc posted:

The first game to somehow sell a negative number of copies.

ET might have beaten you to it given how massively overproduced it was and most copies came back unsold or returned.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Someone mentioned Clint Hocking as to the key reason Splinter Cell Chaos Theory is so drat good and I just beat it and looked at the credits and they weren't kidding: he was the lead level designer, creative director, AND wrote the drat game. Dude should be as prolific as Hideo Kojima. What took him so long to make another game after Far Cry 2 and why does it have to be another Watch Dogs AND for UbiSoft? :cry:

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
A gun is a very effective weapon. It would be cool if the Service Weapon did a bit more but it’s totally reasonable that the Director gets a weapon that can shift between 5 of the most effective killing machines designed by humans (unless the service weapon could take the form of weaponized biological or chemical processes). Excalibur is short range, a throwing hammer pales to a rocket launcher, etc. I’m more interest to know if it had it’s on-the-fly adaptation powers when it was Trench’s gun, which is described as a revolver. A six-shooter morphing into, idk, sawed off shotgun or something would be neat to witness. Jesse’s version has a more modular appearance and I can see how it might reflect her outsider nature; she has had to shift and adapt following the tragedy of her childhood and she is a blank slate with regards to knowledge of the Bureau. Much easier for it take take the shape of “gun, useful” rather than “the altered item I’ve seen the previous director with but a little different”

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

LawfulWaffle posted:

A gun is a very effective weapon. It would be cool if the Service Weapon did a bit more but it’s totally reasonable that the Director gets a weapon that can shift between 5 of the most effective killing machines designed by humans (unless the service weapon could take the form of weaponized biological or chemical processes). Excalibur is short range, a throwing hammer pales to a rocket launcher, etc. I’m more interest to know if it had it’s on-the-fly adaptation powers when it was Trench’s gun, which is described as a revolver. A six-shooter morphing into, idk, sawed off shotgun or something would be neat to witness. Jesse’s version has a more modular appearance and I can see how it might reflect her outsider nature; she has had to shift and adapt following the tragedy of her childhood and she is a blank slate with regards to knowledge of the Bureau. Much easier for it take take the shape of “gun, useful” rather than “the altered item I’ve seen the previous director with but a little different”

Trench's version of the Service Weapon didn't need to be anything more than a six shooter since he wasn't really a field agent anymore. My sense was that with Jesse, it upgraded itself to be as lethal as possible since she needed the various forms to defeat the Hiss.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
You can see Trench's version briefly in one of the cutscenes. It's got a longer cylinder and much shorter barrel than Jesse's variant.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Gordon Shumway posted:

Trench's version of the Service Weapon didn't need to be anything more than a six shooter since he wasn't really a field agent anymore. My sense was that with Jesse, it upgraded itself to be as lethal as possible since she needed the various forms to defeat the Hiss.

You’re right, Trench wasn’t really expected to go toe to toe with an army of paranormal invaders (or one very persuasive invader). The Board probably said “remove the limits/laws, provide the Director with firepower/armaments/killing machines”

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Missed opportunity for Trench's main version to somehow be dual wielded Berettas.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

LawfulWaffle posted:

You’re right, Trench wasn’t really expected to go toe to toe with an army of paranormal invaders (or one very persuasive invader). The Board probably said “remove the limits/laws, provide the Director with firepower/armaments/killing machines”

firepower/slings/debugging tools

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I want to play Control again now thanks guys.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Select application: Ballistic engagement. Entrenching tool. Avionics trawl. Troll smasher. Stellar sextant. List continues.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Len posted:

I want to play Control again now thanks guys.

Bought it last night because of this thread.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I shelved Control because it ran too poorly on my aging 970 for me to feel like I was enjoying it enough & I thought that I'd be getting a few paychecks I could use to upgrade the card before this whole pandemic thing happened :(

Maybe someday, I guess

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

Missed opportunity for Trench's main version to somehow be dual wielded Berettas.

I was thinking that the Dlcs or a new game would have someone else who could use it as well and they'd play like a combination of Neo and Max Payne.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I was waiting for the dlc to all come out so I just reinstalled to finish it up. Should I do them one at a time or should I at least go get Surge before doing Foundation

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Retro Futurist posted:

I was waiting for the dlc to all come out so I just reinstalled to finish it up. Should I do them one at a time or should I at least go get Surge before doing Foundation

The powers and weapon forms they added are instantly available, I believe, assuming you don't need something specific from the Investigation Sector to unlock Surge.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

i thought you needed to find some special materials to craft Surge, but I'm not sure if they'll spawn in the main game now.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

haveblue posted:

Select application: Ballistic engagement. Entrenching tool. Avionics trawl. Troll smasher. Stellar sextant. List continues.

Please do not remind me of the good parts of destiny, it hurts too much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Gordon Shumway posted:

The powers and weapon forms they added are instantly available, I believe, assuming you don't need something specific from the Investigation Sector to unlock Surge.

I don’t see it when I go to the weapon forms area, I’m assuming I need to trigger something. The powers are all there but not the service weapon stuff