Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Zeroisanumber posted:

There's always been one of those. Before Neeson it was Harrison Ford.

If you want to blame anyone, blame Tom Clancy.

guys refusing to acknowledge that they're getting old has been a thing for as long as there have been guys and getting old, but it really feels like the last decade or so that it's gotten absolutely insane. before it felt like it was all just capitalism-driven conspicuous consumption (sports cars, motorcycles, boats, etc.) and having affairs, but now there's so much pharmaceutical poo poo mixed up in it, and I don't just mean the BODYFORCEXXL pills alex jones and company hawk every commercial break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Epic High Five posted:

the fash don't much mind if their street thugs keep getting brutalized because what they're trying to do isn't win, it's to create a narrative of so much chaos in the streets that they can sell themselves to the squishy liberals as the law and order fixer for these anarchists comin' for your nice neighborhood
antifa beating up the proud boys only saves time purging them later

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

https://townhall.com/columnists/kurtschlichter/2018/03/12/why-democrats-would-lose-the-second-civil-war-too-n2459833

Old as poo poo bit lmao at citing your Turner diaries prequel fan fiction as the primary source for your article.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

A fit 50-year old who lifts will still tear apart a typical 25-year old office drone

Most of the younger alt-right nazis who like to mill around in plate carriers are also doughy or underweight weaklings

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I would definitely wipe my rear end with an alt-righter.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

We always just find/torrent fashy ebooks for free for our lovely book club, much better than paying for defaced paper.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

I watched sone guys trying the poo poo from thesw buckets and they're

A) just camping food with even more preservatives
B) require a working oven in many cases, or refrigeration
C) taste absolutely disgusting.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

twistedmentat posted:

That garbage and precious metal scams pay for at least 10% of the alt-right budget. The other 90% is financed by the Mercers and other scumfuck billionaires (but I repeat myself).

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I would definitely wipe my rear end with an alt-righter.

Bidets are the best things and way more sanitary that just toilet paper.

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

twistedmentat posted:

And by time anyone actually eats the food it's like 5 years later and you have already skipped town and shut down the company.

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

selling people a product they'll never use is genius.

that's how steam makes it's money.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

Azathoth posted:

guys refusing to acknowledge that they're getting old has been a thing for as long as there have been guys and getting old, but it really feels like the last decade or so that it's gotten absolutely insane. before it felt like it was all just capitalism-driven conspicuous consumption (sports cars, motorcycles, boats, etc.) and having affairs, but now there's so much pharmaceutical poo poo mixed up in it, and I don't just mean the BODYFORCEXXL pills alex jones and company hawk every commercial break.

'anti-aging' clinics that push actually effective drugs like testosterone and HGH are definitely a thing in this country, if you can afford it

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

the “storable food” racket is great for grifters because by the time these dummies check their buckets (years?) the company has closed and rebranded. Presumably you wouldn’t have to bother with the extra preservatives then.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Most conservatives genuinely think that “the troops” will cohesively just turn to their side.

The author of that series clearly doesn’t know much about the US economy because in his fantasyland the west coast and the Northeast/mid Atlantic split from the US and immediately sink into economic disaster despite the fact that CA basically produces like a third of all staple crops in the United States and houses the only remotely healthy industry in the US, which is tech. There’s basically only two major ports, New Orleans and Houston which is kinda a major economic problem as well.

The new US with the Capitol of Dallas of course immediately becomes a beacon of prosperity and unity, as his ideal society is the fever dream of someone who thinks irony has something to do with shirts watching Starship Troopers and deciding that we could do no better than Verhoven’s satire of a pretty idiot fascist society.
People in the comments already assume 'Farmers=Conservatives'. It's rapidly moving goalposts where they just assume everything they need will magically align with their convictions (military, food infrastructure, power generation, etc).

I wonder if these people look at Gilead from the Handmaid's tale series and think "yes, that's my utopia! Liberals and minorities strung up en masse, armed guards on every corner keeping the peace, and my own personal sex slave"

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Panfilo posted:

I wonder if these people look at Gilead from the Handmaid's tale series and think "yes, that's my utopia! Liberals and minorities strung up en masse, armed guards on every corner keeping the peace, and my own personal sex slave"

Yes. 100%.

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Panfilo posted:

They absolutely do. The only thing they have against ISIS is that ISIS isnt Protestant

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Most conservatives genuinely think that “the troops” will cohesively just turn to their side.

The author of that series clearly doesn’t know much about the US economy because in his fantasyland the west coast and the Northeast/mid Atlantic split from the US and immediately sink into economic disaster despite the fact that CA basically produces like a third of all staple crops in the United States and houses the only remotely healthy industry in the US, which is tech. There’s basically only two major ports, New Orleans and Houston which is kinda a major economic problem as well.

The new US with the Capitol of Dallas of course immediately becomes a beacon of prosperity and unity, as his ideal society is the fever dream of someone who thinks irony has something to do with shirts watching Starship Troopers and deciding that we could do no better than Verhoven’s satire of a pretty idiot fascist society.

the port of los angeles is also fairly large, and handles 20% of all freight coming in to the US

anyway ive seen plenty of reactionaries who just hate the city and are salivating over the idea of the cities burning down and remote work being common enough that people just move away. like i dont know what they think will happen if that actually plays out, because that means people with big city values and money are coming to gentrify their town and fill it with starbucks and wolfgang pucks, and they arent going to be rabid conservatives who vote for the local Q alderman

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

cumshitter posted:

the port of los angeles is also fairly large, and handles 20% of all freight coming in to the US

anyway ive seen plenty of reactionaries who just hate the city and are salivating over the idea of the cities burning down and remote work being common enough that people just move away. like i dont know what they think will happen if that actually plays out, because that means people with big city values and money are coming to gentrify their town and fill it with starbucks and wolfgang pucks, and they arent going to be rabid conservatives who vote for the local Q alderman

“they’ll just die (because city folk are weak and effete and wouldn’t last a day away from their pedicures and avocado toast)”

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

You're otherwise extremely right, but what staple crops are you talking about? They're certainly not at the front for like wheat or corn.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

twistedmentat posted:

I mean I too would try to tell everyone civil war is going to happen if it made me stupid money

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

DesertIslandHermit posted:

I mean I too would try to tell everyone civil war is going to happen if it made me stupid money

This is something I realized, conservatism is just a doomsday cult. Either you have your Religious ones with Jesus coming back and smiting everyone you don't like, or you have the Racist one with RaHoWa with the pure aryans gunning down everyone you don't like, or your Civil War 2 Boogaloo boys who just want to shoot everyone they don't like.

They're all super horny for their version of the collapse of civilization, and they're also convinced that its right around the corner. And if its, not, well, they're willing to give it a push. Why bother thinking about the future when everyone is going to be either dead or rewarded after everything goes down? Global Warming is a hoax, but even if it isn't, so what? The Rapture will take us all away, so only the liberals and Jews will have to suffer.

But as has been said, they're all for it because they all think they'll be kings when the smoke clears. That everyone will be exactly like them, they won't have their kids talk back to them, they won't have to see two dudes hold hands at the movies, Jim Bob will not be taking up their space in the best part of the lake for trout, and no one will ever call them racist ever again. Like the ones who want things to be Feudal again, because they think they'll be the Lords, when more likely they'll end up tilling some field until they die at 37, or if they're lucky, they get to step on wool in cold piss so the fibers will close so the rich merchant can sell it for more money.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/JarJarFan69/status/1307935581360463878?s=19

Gaupo Guacho
Aug 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

Wheeee posted:

A fit 50-year old who lifts will still tear apart a typical 25-year old office drone

Most of the younger alt-right nazis who like to mill around in plate carriers are also doughy or underweight weaklings
Tons of people take fitness really seriously now, I don't think its uncommon at all and lifting isn't an advantage over people who are trained fighters. Fascists more than anyone develop cults around male fitness and fighting. I don't buy the idea that these guys are all pushovers getting their asses kicked. Well, Tim pool probably is

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Data Graham posted:

“they’ll just die (because city folk are weak and effete and wouldn’t last a day away from their pedicures and avocado toast)”

one of these guys i talked to was like "all cities do is import poo poo they depend on us"

and i slowly educated him on how:

1) Cities are historically trade hubs, so duh. like, the chicago stockyards somehow made money despite the fact that they never reared a single cow

2) Rural resource producers depend on cities to buy their poo poo

it didnt stick, but we went over those points as he salivated over how BLM was going to burn all the city dwellers to death. its bewildering to me how people can see economic relationships that are mutual and beneficial and think, "Ha! I can't wait until the people who buy our products die!!!!"

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

If I was stocking an Apocalypse Bunker I think I'd go heavy on biiig sacks of dried beans, lentils, white rice, flour, powdered egg, powdered milk etc. I'm not a survivalist though, am I missing something?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

If I was stocking an Apocalypse Bunker I think I'd go heavy on biiig sacks of dried beans, lentils, white rice, flour, powdered egg, powdered milk etc. I'm not a survivalist though, am I missing something?
bullets

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Sugar. It doesn't have anything else but it sure as gently caress has calories.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

When alt-right dudes point out how much food comes from rural areas they all think of a stereotypical white rancher wearing overalls because that slots neatly into their ethno-nationalist fantasy. In reality there's not only a rural-city divide, there's a divide within rural areas between whites citizens and the immigrants that do most of the actual work in harvesting, canning, meat packing, etc. When these workers are rounded up in large immigration raids food rots in the field because citizens are not able or willing to pick up the slack. Something like 60% - 80% of American food is harvested by immigrants.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

And most of the remaining is done by child labor. Not in the folksy "oh my kids help me on the farm" kinda way, but in the "hey kid want 4 bucks an hour to do field work" kinda way, because you can hire 13-14 year olds for that and nothing else in the midwest.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Gaupo Guacho posted:

Tons of people take fitness really seriously now, I don't think its uncommon at all and lifting isn't an advantage over people who are trained fighters. Fascists more than anyone develop cults around male fitness and fighting. I don't buy the idea that these guys are all pushovers getting their asses kicked. Well, Tim pool probably is
they're not all pushovers by any means, and you shouldn't belittle your enemy, but i think it depends on where you are. like, getting into a scrum with some white leftists who are also from the same suburbs is one thing. but you go to a BLM demonstration where i live downtown, the young guys there know how to lay hands. not every nazi is the kid running around with the gladius, but you saw what happened to the kid running around with the gladius.

also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GahhALsb3to

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
this also means, um, don't be the kid who runs in with the gladius hammer and sickle

if you aren't a fighter (yet or ever) there's things to be done if you want to help people. and that is the goal; violent self-defense is more of an inevitable necessity with armed chuds running around hoping the cops will let them play gestapo with them. if you are bad at it, you may get yourself hurt or killed, or others hurt or killed, and i don't mean some dumb chud kid or cop who wanted a bit less of an excuse for his buddies to light you up. get good at it to avoid that before you think too much about being someone who is prepared to actually be violent.

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 11:19 on Sep 21, 2020

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit

Terrible Opinions posted:

And most of the remaining is done by child labor. Not in the folksy "oh my kids help me on the farm" kinda way, but in the "hey kid want 4 bucks an hour to do field work" kinda way, because you can hire 13-14 year olds for that and nothing else in the midwest.

When I was a medic the next town over had a kid walking the corn at the top of a silo with another and they both got sucked into it when the motor at the bottom turned on; one sunk right away and died and the other got stuck for hours; firefighters had to cut a hole in the side to drain it.

https://www.npr.org/2013/03/26/174828849/fines-slashed-in-grain-bin-entrapment-deaths

quote:

Showell managers admitted that they knew "walking down corn" was dangerous and that employees could be buried in grain. They admitted that they knew they were violating company safety rules when they ran power equipment that drained corn from the bin while workers were inside. Federal law requires shutdown and lockout of such power equipment whenever workers enter grain bins because the equipment creates the flow of grain that can suck workers under.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

When alt-right dudes point out how much food comes from rural areas they all think of a stereotypical white rancher wearing overalls because that slots neatly into their ethno-nationalist fantasy. In reality there's not only a rural-city divide, there's a divide within rural areas between whites citizens and the immigrants that do most of the actual work in harvesting, canning, meat packing, etc. When these workers are rounded up in large immigration raids food rots in the field because citizens are not able or willing to pick up the slack. Something like 60% - 80% of American food is harvested by immigrants.

the part of the "back to the farms" fantasy that all these right wing dipshits forget is just how much of our agricultural infrastructure relies on ready access to diesel fuel

where im at is some of the richest farmland in the world and most of the arable land is corn and soybeans, which is all harvested by gigantic combines. the only time grunt manual labor really comes into it is at the slaughterhouses, which doesn't mean poo poo if the corn isn't harvested and fed to the cows and hogs first

the way that modern farms, even family farms, are hyperspecialized around single crops isn't something these dipshits understand. hell, not being able to export soybeans because trump wanted to have a dickwaving contest with china bankrupted a bunch because they'd leveraged themselves to buy soybean equipment that they suddenly didn't want to use and no one wanted to buy from them

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

loved middle school

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Banana Man posted:

When I was a medic the next town over had a kid walking the corn at the top of a silo with another and they both got sucked into it when the motor at the bottom turned on; one sunk right away and died and the other got stuck for hours; firefighters had to cut a hole in the side to drain it.

https://www.npr.org/2013/03/26/174828849/fines-slashed-in-grain-bin-entrapment-deaths

Two kids dead and the safety harnesses stuffed into a closet.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Banana Man posted:

One summer in college I worked doing document production for the local Ag Extension program, which certainly opened my eyes as to just how many ways there were to be horribly mutilated or killed working on a farm.

Manure pits killing whole families one at a time was a good one.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

DesertIslandHermit posted:

the remarkable thing isn't really people trying to make money in this way, but that there's so much money to be made :tinfoil:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Banana Man posted:

yes but have those regulators considered number?

FMguru posted:

One summer in college I worked doing document production for the local Ag Extension program, which certainly opened my eyes as to just how many ways there were to be horribly mutilated or killed working on a farm.

Manure pits killing whole families one at a time was a good one.

this is a classic yeah

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
if the goon zipline had been built on a farm, would anyone have even noticed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

90s Cringe Rock posted:

if the goon zipline had been built on a farm, would anyone have even noticed?

What if it were built on a sustainable yoga retreat