Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Durzel posted:

It sounds like you’re talking about a “Dutch auction”.

For what it’s worth, in this particular instance, I don’t think it’s particularly scummy. No one needs a latest and greatest GPU, and if the messaging is that the stock is very finite then a Dutch auction system could work. Unfortunately the optics aren’t great, and Nvidia don’t operate in a bubble - they have AIBs who would be releasing cards at normal RRPs, and a major competitor in AMD who wouldn’t decry these antics and potentially steal some (many?) of their customers.

That said, it would be an equaliser to some extent. But, I think the cards would sell out long before they got to $699, such is the demand and market (nerds with a decent amount of disposable income who thought nothing of blowing $1200+ on the last gen). Good news for Nvidia from a profits standpoint, but an equal or greater, albeit different kind of frustration for consumers.

pretty sure nvidia is trying to eliminate most aibs at this point, there's very little point to an aib beyond support

if the 3080/90 FE coolers are good enough i don't care about paying some random company for a :pcgaming: aesthetic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

600W is probably enough to get the job done if you're running at stock speeds.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

600W is probably enough to get the job done if you're running at stock speeds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bdohv96uGLw

yep!

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Malcolm XML posted:

pretty sure nvidia is trying to eliminate most aibs at this point, there's very little point to an aib beyond support

if the 3080/90 FE coolers are good enough i don't care about paying some random company for a :pcgaming: aesthetic

https://www.igorslab.de/en/gddr6x-am-limit-ueber-100-grad-bei-der-geforce-rtx-3080-fe-im-chip-gemessen-2/

They might not be. ^^ that is the internal temp of the hottest G6X module in a FE 3080, as far as I understood the article.
Igor broke out the heat camera and some secret Nvidia dev tool.
In the forum he alluded that some random KFA² card he just tested hits ~20°C less.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
He says it's because the VRMs are that close to the memory module and the heatsink not dealing well with it. So I wonder, does the FE run all power phases? Because the TUF has one more phase for memory than the other AIBs, and if the load is spread across more phases, individual loads are lower and thus create less waste heat (with what being exponential to load). In turn, what does that mean for the AIBs that skimped on phases? The others appear to have left out a phase for each memory and the GPU, versus the TUF (and the FE?).

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
EVGA released a firmware update for the XC3 model to allow quieter fan operation:

https://forums.evga.com/EVGA-3080-XC3XC3-Ultra-Quiet-Fan-Firmware-Update-m3084561.aspx

Posting this mainly because I'm surprised GPUs apparently have firmwares? Am I just way out of the loop with this or do only certain manufacturers do this?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
You're way out of the loop, there's been firmware on cards, I dunno if forever is the right word, but...

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Firmware for the most part has been a bigger deal for AMD than Nvidia in the past.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Used to be able to flash Radeon 6950s to 6970s for free performance back in the day.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Used to be able to flash Radeon 6950s to 6970s for free performance back in the day.

And Radeon 9500 to 9700. My memory is failing me for any other free upgrades, but there probably were others

vv Isn't that just a clock bump though? The 6950 to 6970 and 9500 to 9700 upgrades unlocked unused hardware. Still neat though

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 20, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

HalloKitty posted:

And Radeon 9500 to 9700. My memory is failing me for any other free upgrades, but there probably were others

9800 to 9800 pro.

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007
Speaking of EVGA, has anyone come across data comparing it or Gigabyte to the other AIBs for noise/thermals? Similar to this article? https://www.techpowerup.com/review/palit-geforce-rtx-3080-gaming-pro-oc/31.html

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

5700 to 5700XT

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I remember flashing my radeon 9600 into a 9800. Or maybe it was 9800 into 9800 pro. Regardless I felt like I got a lot of value for my money out of that.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

axeil posted:

I remember flashing my radeon 9600 into a 9800

I swear, it feels like there was just one Radeon 9000 series card and they just shipped with different settings.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

gradenko_2000 posted:

5700 to 5700XT

20% more black screens per second!

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

drat I should have done this, but in further retrospect, it was a PowerColor card and probably would have exploded in the case

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Oh, you could flash 5200fxs to 5500fx, except if you had one of the passively cooled ones (which I think were the majority of 5200’s) odds are you’d cook the card in a hurry.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Durzel posted:

It sounds like you’re talking about a “Dutch auction”.

For what it’s worth, in this particular instance, I don’t think it’s particularly scummy. No one needs a latest and greatest GPU, and if the messaging is that the stock is very finite then a Dutch auction system could work. Unfortunately the optics aren’t great, and Nvidia don’t operate in a bubble - they have AIBs who would be releasing cards at normal RRPs, and a major competitor in AMD who wouldn’t decry these antics and potentially steal some (many?) of their customers.

That said, it would be an equaliser to some extent. But, I think the cards would sell out long before they got to $699, such is the demand and market (nerds with a decent amount of disposable income who thought nothing of blowing $1200+ on the last gen). Good news for Nvidia from a profits standpoint, but an equal or greater, albeit different kind of frustration for consumers.

I think I'm actually thinking of the sealed-price or blind auction. Because the buyer has no information on what other buyers are doing, there is limited strategy. A Dutch Auction, while similar in the notion that you don't really know what other bidders' preferences are, you can still choose to play chicken to try and get a price below your value of the lot. Because in a sealed price single shot you only get one bid, you need to bid your true value in price because you can't even fudge an assessment of the values of others (no reference point).

You can "try" and bid over your personal value, but this idea is paradoxical: you can't actually offer to pay more than you value the object, because your willingness to pay is your value of the object.

I'd say the biggest flaw would be that the rules don't account for resellers as a "second chance." If the lot is won, then relisted, and someone bids higher than the original winning bid, the auction failed to solicit the true value of the participants. At that point, you've lost the advantages of the blind action and it is functionally an English auction.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
When is the 3070 supposed to release?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Howard Phillips posted:

When is the 3070 supposed to release?

October 15th.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

K8.0 posted:

20% more black screens per second!

Or even though that problem seems to be mostly fixed, it's still 40% more electricity and heat for 10% more frames.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

sauer kraut posted:

https://www.igorslab.de/en/gddr6x-am-limit-ueber-100-grad-bei-der-geforce-rtx-3080-fe-im-chip-gemessen-2/

They might not be. ^^ that is the internal temp of the hottest G6X module in a FE 3080, as far as I understood the article.
Igor broke out the heat camera and some secret Nvidia dev tool.
In the forum he alluded that some random KFA² card he just tested hits ~20°C less.

at what temp are the modules supposed to stay? 100 or less?

Just underclock them.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

so did Jensen reveal a secret oven stuffed to the brim with 3080s for only the righteous at some point during the last 10-15 pages or are we still owned by robots

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
Jayztwocents has a new video where he discusses cook groups and the 3080. He spends the first 2 minutes talking about how he's a capitalist and loves capitalism and free markets, then goes on to make an awful "No true Scotsman" argument about scalpers and cook groups.These tech influencers are so painfully out of their element when they attempt to discuss politics or stray from discussing hardware and benchmarks.

mA fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 20, 2020

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
I have no idea whether this has been posted yet, but the rumours about the 16GB 3070 and the 20GB 3080 seem to be panning out, as expected.
https://videocardz.com/newz/gigabyte-confirms-geforce-rtx-3060-8gb-rtx-3070-16gb-and-rtx-3080-20gb

Gigabyte screwed the pooch it seems, and left some pretty obvious references to those card models laying around

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 20, 2020

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Jay definitely gives off a chuddy blowhard vibe. He probably pays his assistant like $12 an hour with no medical.

Speaking of which, that shtick where he has his assistant court jester laugh all the time is insufferable. When they're on the screen together you get the insanely uncomfortable impression that he's contractually obligated to laugh like that.

HalloKitty posted:

Gigabyte screwed the pooch it seems, and left some pretty obvious references to those card models laying around

How close are we to becoming ram limited on the 3080? I'm trying to understand the demographic for a 20gb version.

Taima fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 20, 2020

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

The big-memory models are going to be GDDR6 and not 6X (is the rumour), yeah?

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

mA posted:

Jayztwocents has a new video where he discusses cook groups and the 3080. He spends the first 2 minutes talking about how he's a capitalist and loves capitalism and free markets, then goes on to make an awful "No true Scotsman" argument about scalpers and cook groups.These tech influencers are so painfully out of their element when they attempt to discuss politics or stray from discussing hardware and benchmarks.

wouldn't exactly expect a tech youtuber to be a marxist but yeah, him realizing the contradictions and then brushing it away was definitely frustrating to watch

Watching companies like Valve handling preorders for the Index well, and even smaller niche manufacturers of gaming controllers like Honeycomb for flight sims getting it right with announcing proper preorders, while nVidia just fails to come up with a decent system. If they had announced preorders immediately at the end of the announcement with no chance for bots to set something up it would have been far smoother.

HalloKitty posted:

I have no idea whether this has been posted yet, but the rumours about the 16GB 3070 and the 20GB 3080 seem to be panning out, as expected.
https://videocardz.com/newz/gigabyte-confirms-geforce-rtx-3060-8gb-rtx-3070-16gb-and-rtx-3080-20gb

Good news - I don't feel bad about waiting a few months anymore now if they're just going to release a 20GB variant. I find it a bit absurd that I would buy a card with 1 GB less VRAM than my 1080Ti 3 years later.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Taima posted:

How close are we to becoming ram limited on the 3080? I'm trying to understand the demographic for a 20gb version.
I think the market is hobbyist machine learning

ufarn
May 30, 2009

mA posted:

The Hardware Canucks stuff has been particularly fun to watch. They're now taking a STAND and saying they won't review the 3080 in SOLIDARITY with the people who didn't get their cards or some poo poo.

Be real hilarious if the real reason is they broke the embargo/NDA when they gave away the FE embargo review dates and lost their right to upload their videos.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I have the exact opposite reaction. I'm wondering how I can build up a youtube following in the next two years so that I can get a new GPU from Nvidia.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Is there a reason that US retailers have uniformly failed to allow preorders and backorders?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Because nerds will call customer support all the time asking where the cars they paid for is.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

I have the exact opposite reaction. I'm wondering how I can build up a youtube following in the next two years so that I can get a new GPU from Nvidia.

Thinkin about loving around and being a anime Vtuber whos gimmick is reviewing PC hardware for this now

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Ohhh booo hooo you all want a 3080? Me too. I also want an nr200p and an sf750 but you don't hear me complaining! Also a cyberboard, and tangerines. Wait gently caress did I just do that? Oops. Buying stuff should not be so difficult.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ersatz posted:

Is there a reason that US retailers have uniformly failed to allow preorders and backorders?

Someone explained it as a pre order is carried Debt for unsecured inventory and a lot of companies don't like to do that because of potential supply chain issues.

Apple can do it because they control everything start to finish.

In theory Nvidia could do it but they won't

AIB's won't do it because the retailers would have a fit.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Malcolm XML posted:

at what temp are the modules supposed to stay? 100 or less?

Just underclock them.

No one knows, there hasn't been a real spec released for either G5X, G6 or G6X. He had to access an internal Nvidia software somehow to even get to the drat sensor reading.
Apparently the hard cutoff is set at 110C and around 104C is where throttling starts.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I just want to give someone money for this card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Shipon posted:

wouldn't exactly expect a tech youtuber to be a marxist but yeah, him realizing the contradictions and then brushing it away was definitely frustrating to watch

You can be a capitalist and also disagree with rent-seeking behaviour that the scalpers engage in as it adds no economic productivity. Although as many have already discussed, this is only a result of the refusal of Nvidia to launch with sufficient stock so that a 700 dollar MSRP for the GPU would be relatively close to the equilibrium or their refusal to engage in price discrimination to deal with the shortage in stock of the GPUs being launched at that price point.