Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also yes what does commensal mean because I can't figure out what it means from context even with wikipedia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Angepain posted:

commensal? i looked up what that word means

yeah i had to too, i think it means something different in the context of infectious disease maybe? i would guess from context that they meant like, widely spread in the community? not sure.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

big scary monsters posted:

I think Dogatron was making the evergreen "kilts are skirts" joke.

the term "hen" is a scottish term referring to women, unless Dogatron has lapsed into Swedish

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Yeah I missed that, fair point.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think it is also a... southern? Like maybe anglia sort of area, non-gendered pronoun?

Maybe northern too? UK lexicography is hard.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Dogatron posted:

I'm trying to be reasonable here. I hate confrontation.

Could you explain the problem you have with the words I typed on my computer?
Nobody's going to do that. If you can't see what you said wrong then you need to gently caress off at least until you can see why everyone thinks you said multiple poo poo things that really don't need unpacking. They're poo poo things to say at surface level.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
oh good Pissflaps has re-reged

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
is it a way to like, patronizingly describe someone, like "sweetie"?

e: or, like "hun"? maybe?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

OwlFancier posted:

Also yes what does commensal mean because I can't figure out what it means from context even with wikipedia.

it means relating to or exhibiting commensalism.

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020

Angepain posted:

I just keep trying to go back to this point and figure out what the hell your actual point is so I can try to engage with it. are you saying middle class people should not be concerned about safety? are you saying working class people are not taking precautions against coronavirus or that their exposure to risk means everyone else should be exposed or not care or? what are your proposals or opinions about what needs to happen or does not need to happen or? i just, i don't understand. who is benefiting in the commensal. does there being ≥1 study for and ≥1 study against facemasks mean it's fine to not wear one. what are the implications if we apply this to all of science, have you thought that through. commensal? i looked up what that word means and a fair few people are not in fact doing either of "gaining benefits" or "neither benefit nor are harmed" as a result of the coronavirus. what is this post. what are its secrets. what is it trying to tell us.

Sorry, You need to use paragraphs.

I found it difficult to understand what you were asking. I tried my best.

Comensal is a virus, fungus, bacteria or virus that is so wide spread that it is part of every day life.

I still struggled to make sense of anything else you wrote.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

posting for no particular reason

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020
Angepain, if you have a degree from a university you gave them too much money.

Organise your arguments. Write clearly.

Organise. Educate. Agitate.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

3.6 commensal, not great, not terrible. It's not harmful like a parasite, nor mutually beneficial, like a symbiotic lifeform, but more like a worm that lives in your gut and benefits without really harming nor hurting you.

Cats are probably commensal overall. SARS-CoV-2 does not look to be at all, especially if the myocardial injury research is true.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Dogatron posted:

Jesus can you just gently caress off already.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Dogatron posted:

I still struggled to make sense of anything else you wrote.

i thought you were starting a game where we write impenetrable posts with a vague sense of nonspecific superiority and decided to join in

are we still doing it? i think we're still doing it. this is fun

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020

Lungboy posted:

Jesus can you just gently caress off already.

You want me to gently caress off for telling folk to organise, educate and agitate?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think annoying everyone in the thread is a very good way to make an argument.

Like this faux reasonableness in the face of hostility is what I used to try to do when I was ten, it didn't work then either.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Dogatron posted:

What the gently caress is this? Stop taking shots at other posters, you dipshit.

Everyone piled onto you because your original point, from what people could decipher, is that middle class people who can work from home are too worried about the virus? Maybe everyone is worried but if you can't WFH you can't afford to stay home because, y'know, you need to get paid. Everyone should be home, but we can't do that as a society which is pretty loving obvious. Most jobs are unproductive bullshit. This also isn't news.

Going to university and writing in paragraphs doesn't make you smarter, and angepain's posts are much easier to understand than yours. Jesus loving christ you're a trainwreck of a poster.

Dogatron posted:

You want me to gently caress off for telling folk to organise, educate and agitate?

Alright this is either performance art or you're just a really dense motherfucker. Honestly I wish I had the minute it took me to write this post back.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

As a bit of a PSA, if you do happen to catch covid (middle class or otherwise), it might be a good idea to lay off the exercise for a bit once you've recovered.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

kyojin posted:

How the gently caress is this the fault of the people on furlough? You should experiment with not posting for six months and see if anyone notices

His point is the most privileged are also the loudest. Either screaming at people in bizarre overreactions, freaking out about yet another hypochondriac episode or declaring the end of the world. Motherfuckers you want to try working through this poo poo. And I mean working out there with the general public. Not at home. Not even in an office. There's way too many computer touchers on SA and its really skewing things, even on these ostensibly leftist subforums.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

OwlFancier posted:

I don't think annoying everyone in the thread is a very good way to make an argument.

Eh you'd be surprised. 'Karen' did stop in this thread.

Not that dogatron is actually trying to make any arguments mind, making a quite interesting point then not justifying it is more annoying to me than the endless white noise obnoxious posts are.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Like I can't tell if this is someone trolling or just having a really weird reaction to being disagreed with and then yelling and then having a weird reaction to being yelled back at but either way it's definitely not going to be productive.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
If only there was a poster ITT who had buttons to give Dogatron a little timeout. Alas...

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Dogatron posted:

We want you to gently caress off for making GBS threads in your own hands and rubbing it in your eyes while screaming 'Are you owned?' over and over.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Regarde Aduck posted:

His point is the most privileged are also the loudest. Either screaming at people in bizarre overreactions, freaking out about yet another hypochondriac episode or declaring the end of the world. Motherfuckers you want to try working through this poo poo. And I mean working out there with the general public. Not at home. Not even in an office. There's way too many computer touchers on SA and its really skewing things, even on these ostensibly leftist subforums.

So your point is that it's not as bad as office workers think it is because lots of people are still working? You know that loads of people are getting sick and dying/have long term symptoms, right?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Most of the people at work don't seem to be taking it super seriously, it's true. Like they're following the regs for the most part but I'm the only person who seems to be doing personal space when it's an option.

To say nothing of the customers, would have preferred if the man trying to buy ingredients for cheesecake for a party without having any idea how to make a cheesecake, would not have pulled down his mask and practically dived into my arms so we could both read his little slip of paper that his wife had written for him, because simply telling me would have been impossible.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

cheesecake for a party

Hope it was a small cheesecake.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Going by the amount of ingredients no it was a quite large cheescake. Also for some reason he was buying like, cathederal city as well so it could well have been a large party cheesecake that tasted like actual cheese, which sounds like the worst thing imaginable.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Kier Starmer is coalition Nick Clegg.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Regarde Aduck posted:

I know this thread loves nothing more than a good game of prolier than thou but "it's middle class to care about this so called pandemic" is an incredible take :allears:

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

If only there was a poster ITT who had buttons to give Dogatron a little timeout. Alas...

I've given myself my own buttons.

I have upset too many people. Very sorry.

I was just trying to say that the whole Covid thing has turned into another way to have a go at the poor and the working class.

I'm still sure I am right in this. While the poor and the working class continued to work through out the whole epidemic, it is still their fault that cases are rising.

Because they were not rich enough to stay at home.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Regarde Aduck posted:

Yes privilege correlates with sociopolitical voice, yes the last surviving basically BBS forum has lots of computer nerds on it, explain why any of that is an argument for 'gently caress Furloughed Workers they are bad in some wierd way'.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Dogatron posted:

While the poor and the working class continued to work through out the whole epidemic, it is still their fault that cases are rising.

Because they were not rich enough to stay at home.

No the virus doesnt spread at work, or in schools. Only in our homes when we meet each other there.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Dogatron posted:

bit cunty this

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Pilchenstein posted:

I know this thread loves nothing more than a good game of prolier than thou but "it's middle class to care about this so called pandemic" is an incredible take :allears:

Seriously.

Like, I loving get it, if this had been 5 years ago I'd have been stuck in retail still, so forced onto public transport and made to face the public, countless of which would likely not have had masks even though they're required in shops in Scotland, but I sure as poo poo would have been bitter as gently caress about it, and would have been staying away from every oval office I could, in the quiet hours probably shouting across the shop floor to colleagues rather than speaking up close, if I could get away with it - - and even then, only possible because where I worked at the time had enough tills, all spread out around the store to let everyone distance easily enough, if it had been when I worked in GAME, I would have been in a shopping centre, with *maybe* 2 feet space.

I sure as poo poo don't blame the workers, it's not their choice their employers are being the usual miserable bastards.

Retail and hospitality, amongst others, are sectors whose furlough should be ongoing till fuckin March of next year at a minimum, and government should be investing in remoting teaching abilities to be able to keep maximum number of kids outside of school buildings, etc etc etc.

Don't come here and say I'm taking it too seriously because I have the luxury of working from home. gently caress you.

(yes, yes, you got a loving bite, well done, run back off to wherever you came from and re-post my rage rant as some loving trophy, oval office)

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Dabir posted:

posting for no particular reason

Of all the owns I’ve seen here, this has been my favourite :discourse:

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

"the poor" - dunno what thats all about like, are you saying people generally are looking down at people who aren't on furlough or that people who have had to work are being exploited during lockdown? As the latter is true lockdown or not, and with the former, plenty of people have had to work regardless of if they have been working from home or going somewhere else - its a bit of a fumble to think the labour involved in being middle or working class is different when the boot is coming down anyway.

And oval office isn't generally used as a derogatory phrase beyond an insult; 'ive made a oval office of this' 'look at that poor oval office' 'aye, I saw them cunts over there' - its just another word. I feel the American perspective on it tends to be more negative as it has more connotations, but then that country calls each other 'pussies' and that. Over here a cunts a oval office.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARgGguQlQ0w

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
Out of curiosity, I had a bit of a look at the stats; looks like the most-furloughed by quite some way are

1) Arts, Entertainment, and Recreation
2) Accomodation and Food Services

with Administrative and Support Service Activities, Construction, Manufacturing, Real Estate, and Transportation and Storage all jockeying around below that at various times. IT, Professional Scientific & Tech, and Education unsurprisingly seem to be the most remote-working.

(from ONS - Coronavirus and the economic impacts on the UK: 10 September 2020 and its predecessors; the formatting is different in each which is a bit poo poo for comparisons)

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
You should lurk more, Dogatron

The only reason the poor are getting hit with the "It's their fault" stick is because the Tories have hosed this all up in a frankly astoundingly massive way, and the press need a way to deflect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

It's time.