Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
So here I am, scrolling down the Steam store page, and notice this thing passing by:

"Dating sims? Wait, I haven't been playing dating sims, what is this?" *clicks link*

Uh, ok then. I mean, I guess I can't say they have nothing in common now that the game has Adamites that are visually... distinct, but I'm not sure if there is a big overlap in target audience here. Then again, anime mods, so maybe Steam really is on to something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

Trevor Hale posted:

What’s up with your prowess icon being different?

The “brighter attributes colors” mod or w/e it’s called changes the prowess icon also

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Looks like someone needs to put some points into the Seduction tree

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I guess I've been playing the game wrong this whole time.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You don't hold any baronies in a county besides the capital, even a castle will be given to a minor noble who will take off 90%-60% like a count would from their county, no?

you can hold castle baronies just fine, and temples if your religion is cool with it

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Can we compact/merge these two images and put them in the OP because holy moly if this isn't a reason to play this game idk what is.

buglord fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 20, 2020

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

RED TEXT BIG GUN posted:

Is pressing Kingdom claims of a courtier bugged / not working? I did the find claimants event, I got someone with claim on Kingdom West Francia and a handful of counties in West Francia. I can click on the declare war option for the current King of Francia. In the declare war screen I can pick the claimant's claims but the warning tooltip says there *are* no claims. I'm an emperor, if that matters.

I paid this 6yo 350 gold to come chill out in my court wth.

You can only press the claims of female claimants in certain scenarios (such as the target themselves being female or underage, I believe)

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Owning baronies as you primary domain is great because revoking them from those auto-generated minor nobles doesn't count as tyranny or anything, so if your domain limit fluctuates between rulers, you can just totally freely hand them out or revoke them as needed whenever. So I just have 2 relatively small duchies but with the capital county of each packed full of castles that I own. If I get a really lovely Stewardship ruler I can temporarily scale down to only 7 domain holding and then back up to 11 with my next ruler without ever pissing off any vassals that matter

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Have they said anything about balancing Crusades yet? Because the pope often has unlimited gold (I think thanks to Crusade war chests), he can just hire unlimited Mercs and they're basically impossible to fight off.

There needs to be something like a limit on the number of merc companies the Pope can hire.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

toasterwarrior posted:

The more baronies you hold in a county, the better IMO, since the councillor jobs only work by the county and most castle buildings only grant their bonuses on a county-level. Also, revoking baronies costs no tyranny. It's very good to have two duchies, yes, but in the sense that you want access to that second duchy building slot; it's more important to have better counties than duchies, and that means picking the counties with the most holding slots.

There are two things here. In terms of development, this is correct (provided you build buildings which encourage development), and if your culture is pretty small on the map, this can mean rapid cultural innovation discovery. It may depend on terrain, as not all buildings are good at encouraging development, the best are ports, though farms and fields are decent. In terms of taxes/levies, this is not as good as holding as many counties directly as possible and filling empty holding slots with temples leased to a theocratic realm priest.

Though also as Hargrimm mentioned, owning additional castles in your capital county can make fluctuating Stewardship/domain limit between rulers easier to manage.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

violent sex idiot posted:

you can hold castle baronies just fine, and temples if your religion is cool with it

Really?

That huge economic effortpost is based entirely on the idea that baronies have to be delegated, which is why building Temples with a Theocratic religion is better than any other holding. If you could get direct taxes this would make building castles a no-brainer.

I guess it's a moot point as it looks like the game forces you to build one of each holding before allowing you to build another castle? So it would only come into play with counties with 4 or more baronies

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

That huge economic effortpost is based entirely on the idea that baronies have to be delegated, which is why building Temples with a Theocratic religion is better than any other holding. If you could get direct taxes this would make building castles a no-brainer.

This is not really correct. Consider that each castle you own takes up your domain limit, whether it's a county capital castle or just another castle in the same county. If they both count the same, then owning another county is better than owning another barony, because you get all of the baron-level vassals (and baron-level vassals do not count against your vassal limit) in the new county in addition to your new castle. There's also the fact that a county capital castle has 4 building slots rather than 3.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh, I forgot about the domain limit, I was just thinking about that in regard to counties. That makes sense.

Right now I have two duchies I am keeping within the family line so that's 7 towards my limit, honestly if a secondary castle took up a slot that would be suboptimal

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
You also have to work towards pumping Crown Authority and negotiating vassal contracts when you can in order to maximize taxes from them.

Also the levies thing; as of the current balance early game levies are vital, obviously, but once you can truly afford a full complement of MAA then levies are a massive liability. I say this with full understanding that the multiplicative bonuses applying to MAA feels really overboard at a certain point and will probably get nerfed, but right now maximizing levies isn't as important as being able to afford and buff your MAAs of choice.

That said, the buildings that buff your MAAs also provide levies generally so :v:

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

DrPop posted:

Because the pope often has unlimited gold (I think thanks to Crusade war chests), he can just hire unlimited Mercs and they're basically impossible to fight off.

It's not Crusade war chests that leads to Infinite Pope Money, it's selling indulgences to the entire Catholic world. Which I guess is realistic (for example, it makes fighting actual wars against the papal states and vassalizing them way harder than in the last game) but yeah it must also make defending against crusades even worse than it already is if the Pope sends those endless mercenaries to the Levant as well.

(in my game literally every Crusade has failed anyway except the one targeted at Spain, because the Arabian blob is stable and terrifying).

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Is there some combination of succession laws that will let me designate a non-child as my heir?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Truly, the most evil scheme is making them love their overlords.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Incidentally, since capital county castles have 4 building slots, this makes holding more counties also slightly better for buffing MAA while staying under the domain limit.

toasterwarrior posted:

You also have to work towards pumping Crown Authority and negotiating vassal contracts when you can in order to maximize taxes from them.

This only really applies to count-level vassals, baron-level vassals don't have contracts (and generally suck). While baron-level vassals suck, temples that you lease to your theocratic realm priest are controlled only by their opinion of you, and the opinion of one character is far easier to manage than a gaggle of vassals.

Azhais posted:

Is there some combination of succession laws that will let me designate a non-child as my heir?

Only through election afaik.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
So I joined a crusade and I had to appoint a beneficiary. For some reason it couldn't appoint anyone, what's up with that? I was the main contributor and would have gotten a decent chunk of land, but since I couldn't appoint anyone I ended up with a stack of cash and piety.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

shut up blegum posted:

So I joined a crusade and I had to appoint a beneficiary. For some reason it couldn't appoint anyone, what's up with that? I was the main contributor and would have gotten a decent chunk of land, but since I couldn't appoint anyone I ended up with a stack of cash and piety.

You can only appoint an adult member of your dynasty who isn’t a ruler and isn’t an heir to anything. I usually end up with mostly random female dynasty members as possible beneficiaries. If you have a small dynasty you might not have any eligible people.

Although one time I disinherited one of my sons because he was sub-par and then made him my beneficiary. Then we won and he became the king of Syria and then he immediately converted to Druze and then died. But my daughter is still doing pretty good as the queen of Castile from a previous crusade.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

shut up blegum posted:

To be eligible as a beneficiary, someone has to not be landed or an heir to any title (among other things, but this is the one causing what you're seeing). Since you're probably on some kind of partition inheritance, and so are whatever siblings/niblings/cousins have inherited land away from you since game start, it's very likely that the only people who will be able to be beneficiaries are like, the fifth son of your youngest brother or, more likely, a daughter somewhere (since basically everyone in Christendom except the Visigoths, Catalans, Basques, and Occitans has Male Only or Male Preference inheritance).

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Never played a CK game before, I went into the game almost blind (rush through tutorial) playing as "The Deep" chieftainess of Iceland. I conquered and Catholicized all the islands north of the British mainland, tried my hand at raiding (didn't seem very profitable, but its free money) and just as I was about to invade the mainland I died and realized I had no idea how Titles actually worked because my Heir barely controlled anything. Whoops. Did I fail to allocate things, or did I just have too many children for poo poo to be divided between? I don't really know. Time for a redo, why learn from failure.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Chocobo posted:

or did I just have too many children for poo poo to be divided between?

It's this. Nearly everybody in CK3 starts out with (and, until a mid-game tech, is locked to) a succession scheme called "partition," which divides up your lands among eligible kids when you die. Moreover, they mostly use "confederate partition," which will actually create duchies/kingdoms/empires for those kids when possible. The best solution is to never take sufficient land to where you're able to create a second title that's at the same tier as your main title (unless you'll then be able to create the next tier above it) and to have as few sons as possible.

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020
In my 867 Eudes of France start, he lived to 81 after having leprosy for almost 60 years and survived catching the bubonic plague (as a leper). i checked the history file for hidden bonuses, but I think it's just luck and the whole of body tree bonuses.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

imprisoning and then banishing your bishop is way too OP right now

20 tyranny for several hundred to a thousand gold? yes please

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

megane posted:

It's this. Nearly everybody in CK3 starts out with (and, until a mid-game tech, is locked to) a succession scheme called "partition," which divides up your lands among eligible kids when you die. Moreover, they mostly use "confederate partition," which will actually create duchies/kingdoms/empires for those kids when possible. The best solution is to never take sufficient land to where you're able to create a second title that's at the same tier as your main title (unless you'll then be able to create the next tier above it) and to have as few sons as possible.

So, breed one good heir, then murder the other baby boys or send them on suicide missions and marry little baby girls off to prestigious families?

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
They any "special" semi-historical characters you can run fun gimmicks or goals with? For instance I think there was a merovingian? Guy with some claims in ck2 but that was an earlier start I think. That sort of thing.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Chocobo posted:

So, breed one good heir, then murder the other baby boys or send them on suicide missions and marry little baby girls off to prestigious families?

Yep. I like to marry the eldest daughter matrilineally, so that if worst comes to worst and all the sons die, she'll inherit and the main title will stay in the family.

Note that you can't directly plot to kill your own children, but you can make your loser 2-prowess son be a knight, put him in every dangerous battle, and then weep very convincing tears when he bites it in a way that is entirely not your fault.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
I have literally always been caught by my wife in the infidelity pregnancy event to have your spymaster spy on her despite it being 90% success, i'm talking like 10 times, is it bugged or am I just that unlucky

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

What are the difficulty options like in this game? Is there something like the "Settler" difficulty from the Civilization games? I suck at games and just want to mess around/blow off real life steam with the game and steamroll things. It would seem fun in this game to do stupid gimmick builds and/or try for silly goals.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I don't know much has changed these days but older Paradox games had save files that were basically human-readable txt files that you could just edit to give yourself a billion gold or superstats

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

I have been having a blast playing this character since 1 year old. Like. Getting to 16 felt like a high wire act as a lot of people wanted me dead. It also gives me a view on the scope of this guys life. He was such a sweet boy, but I was so expansionist in my territory snatching that he’s grown to be a reclusive bastard. It’s like Boyhood but with more adamists

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

MH Knights posted:

What are the difficulty options like in this game? Is there something like the "Settler" difficulty from the Civilization games? I suck at games and just want to mess around/blow off real life steam with the game and steamroll things. It would seem fun in this game to do stupid gimmick builds and/or try for silly goals.

I think there's an easy difficulty option, but I've never used it so I don't know exactly how it's different from standard. You can also launch the game in debug mode and use the console to give yourself gold or different traits or just kill a lot of people.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

megane posted:

Electoral votes are based on a completely separate score. Opinion goes into it, but so do a bunch of other things. And even then, as mentioned, it can be overridden by hooks.

This wasn't an election it was a faction and he eventually rebelled in favor of said rando.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

I’m playing easy right now because I like the story more than the stress. Cant compare it to the real game but I’m sure I won more battles that I would’ve lost normally.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Excelzior posted:

imprisoning and then banishing your bishop is way too OP right now

20 tyranny for several hundred to a thousand gold? yes please

Just wait till you discover the perk that lets you demand cash from hooks. Set your spymaster to discover secrets in some place like Constantinople and you've got virtually infinite gold.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Chocobo posted:

You don't have to purposely do anything. They'll become knights on their own, so just wage the wars you want to wage. Unless you're a player who doesn't fight much most of them will die in battle.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

MH Knights posted:

There's easy and very easy options when you select a starting character. I went to very easy and am having fun and learning.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

How long does it take y’all to finish a game? I think I’m ~24 hours into this one and I am at about 100 years played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Charlz Guybon posted:

You don't have to purposely do anything. They'll become knights on their own, so just wage the wars you want to wage. Unless you're a player who doesn't fight much most of them will die in battle.
Yeah but if they are a failson with 3 prowess, they typically won't be enrolled in battles unless you have so few knights left. Better off forcing them to enlist and sending them alone into battle repeatedly than hoping they just happen to die in battles (especially if you're actually trying to otherwise win those battles).

That feeling when your powerful vassal brother that's leading a faction to take your primary title just happens to die in a 1 vs 5000 troop battle :kiss:

Unfortunately I have been having my characters sow their oats far and wide so no chance of me forcing sole inheritance. As long as I keep the empire it'll be ok. If I can just get a proper heir that doesn't get upset over executing traitors/heathens...