Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
That does look disturbingly like a bedbug, but no, they don't get any bigger than about the size of an apple seed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
looked down while getting some water before bed in algonquin park and freaked out when I saw this guy. what luck! he was right there! what a friggin cutie.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!

moths posted:

I'm late to the party, but on what page do I find the OK moths?

A reason to use my search? Hell yeah! Here you go:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3807356&pagenumber=45&perpage=40#post504369767

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Yeah I can’t see how it could be anything other than a cockroach nymph.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

drat, all this time I was parsing it as meaning the whole thread was full of moths of adequate quality.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yes, that's the joke

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

It's my fault, sorry

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

The Walrus posted:

looked down while getting some water before bed in algonquin park and freaked out when I saw this guy. what luck! he was right there! what a friggin cutie.

Hope he got better :ohdear:

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Hope he got better :ohdear:

It's really rare to find spotted salamanders outside the breeding season, even if you flip rocks and logs. I've only seen them three or so times late season like that, and only once without flipping. They're common, but spend most of their time deep underground. Nice find!

Edit: quoted wrong post, hate phone posting!

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Finished sodding my lawn today, a few more friends showed up along the way.

Some sort of big beetle grub, not big enough for a hercules so maybe a stag?

Another snake friend, this one all black. Also accidentally dug up one of the crowned snakes again but he was fine.

This beautiful velvet ant could have ruined my day if she was in the sod I was handling. I once found one in my parent's napkin drawer which was weird, and definitely suggests some ambush potential.

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 22, 2020

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Who is this spiky being?

Northwest Arkansas

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
I'd say American Dagger Moth.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

joat mon posted:

I'd say American Dagger Moth.

Looks exactly right! I had to screen cap that from a friend's video. Wish I could have gotten a better picture. Very interesting little caterpillar.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Met a very patient toad on the nature trail today.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

got back to hiking up our favorite trail (Lime Ridge Open Space, Contra Costa County, California) after a long time of too hot/too much smoke. Not many people around so we saw critters!

If you look closely on the right you'll see my footprint where I literally stepped on this poor snek without seeing him (I was staring up at birds like an idiot). It wasn't hurt at all apparently, seemed fine to wriggle away after we were done taking pictures. I think the sand cushioned my footfall hopefully.

tiny spiky boi

pretty sure this is a juvenile horned lizard, aka horny toad
there's nothing visibly there for scale. I'd say he was no longer than my thumb, nose to tip of tail, so a very little duder.

tiny smooth boi

maybe a juvenile alligator lizard? or fence post lizard? this guy was also very tiny, like maybe an inch and a half long?

Habitat for all of these is hot dry chaparral, mixed open grassland/savannah with oaks and the occasional walnut, manzanita, buckeye, fireweeds etc., steep and hilly rocky terrain.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Scarodactyl posted:

This beautiful velvet ant could have ruined my day if she was in the sod I was handling. I once found one in my parent's napkin drawer which was weird, and definitely suggests some ambush potential.

That velvet ant sure isn't very velvetty. The ones we have around here have floofy yellow or red butts.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
There are about 400 different species of velvet ant in North America, so you're going to see some variation there.

Shiney McShine
Oct 12, 2010

paperwork
Personal Earpiece

here's a pink katydid

...and a couple of OK moths

Uraniid

Tiger moth exuding toxic froth

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
I'm really trying to get past my arachnophobia. I can pick up and move jumping spiders and baby false widows with my hands, and don't mind tarantulas, but some, like this beast I caught with the night vision, still give me the willies. That's a cinder block for scale. Central Kentucky. Any ideas? Hogna or Tigrosa maybe?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Yeah either of those genera would be a good start—it’s definitely a lycosid.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Hogna carolinensis seems like a safe bet, those are the right size for a large wolf spider and common in the area. Tigrosa is a bit more lanky than this one seems to be, but I would find it hard to say for certain from a picture like that.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Sorry this is a lovely picture, but there's a fox on my block!

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

drat, I wish I got a pic of that wolf spider I rescued yesterday. My roommate had it under a clear bowl and was too scared to let it outside.

He was a biggun!!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I saw a neat bug on a customer's car, they were nice enough to let me photograph it.

Seek says it's a Western Conifer Seed Bug.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

anyone know who this fella could be?

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

El Burbo posted:

anyone know who this fella could be?

What's the location?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Central Mexico, in Tlaxcala

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Cornfield Grasshopper?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah that seems like it. I think I’ve eaten those, even

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

El Burbo posted:

Yeah that seems like it. I think I’ve eaten those, even

What’re they like?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Pretty crunchy, but also a lot like shrimp meat. Cooked insects have a very similar consistency to those. With the right kind of seasoning it makes for good food.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
So does that mean bugs are land crustaceans? Or that crustaceans are sea bugs?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

BOOTY-ADE posted:

So does that mean bugs are land crustaceans? Or that crustaceans are sea bugs?

:eng101: I know this is a joke about food but insects are, in actual fact, crustaceans.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Mak0rz posted:

:eng101: I know this is a joke about food but insects are, in actual fact, crustaceans.
This fills me with frustracean.
(Crustacea is generally defined by not including the hexapods)(even if jt's paraphyletic).

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 2, 2020

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

hummingbird nest

i set up a little outdoor misting system to attract them last year and i think it helped

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Scarodactyl posted:

This fills me with frustracean.
(Crustacea is generally defined by not including the hexapods)(even if jt's paraphyletic).

This guy doesn't speak in paraphyly, pal :colbert:

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

some kinda moth larvae, maybe. just west of xalapa, mexico

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That's a caterpillar of some sort of Tussock moth! Good find, very pretty.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

El Burbo posted:

some kinda moth larvae, maybe. just west of xalapa, mexico

That caterpillar looks like it should be dispensing philosophical wisdom of some kind - great picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I found a Pholcus! I know what they look like and that they live in this region (though we live on the fringes), but I've never actually seen one before today!