Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mikeraskol posted:

I need Hera, I need them to work in Hephaestus somehow. Where is my boy Apollo? Can we get some Hercules up in here as an alternate boss in Elysium? Maybe some other mythical greek monster as an alternative boss for the hydra?

I kinda just want them to keep working on the game.

Just give us a game mode starring Dusa where it inexplicably changes into a bullet hell shooting game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Haha I just tried to borrow 300 godbucks from the boatman.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Honestly you could probably reskin the hammers into Hephaestus boons.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Funky Valentine posted:

Honestly you could probably reskin the hammers into Hephaestus boons.

eh, them being tied to Daedalus makes a lot of sense though

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
I would do fire-related stuff with Hephaestus since we have cold from Demeter. No idea how to implement Hera though.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Hera's boons would be stronger the less boons from other gods you have.

ADD: Except for Zeus. They would become straight-up penalties if you have a boon from Zeus

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 21, 2020

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Hera just has a single boon, which increases all damage you do by 200x when you fight the children that Zeus had without her.

That's basically everyone in the underworld by this point so the run is a stomp from that point.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Hera boons give you abilities based on how strong your relationships are with specific gods and/or secondary characters.

Being a good son to your surrogate mother Nyx or granny Demeter? Have some extra healing or damage mitigation.

Staying faithful and honoring your partners? Here's a bunch of poms and gold and what not.

Buddying up to philandering old Zeus or his irresponsible sons?

+500% damage taken from all sources, healing items drain your health, etc.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Mat Cauthon posted:

Buddying up to philandering old Zeus or his irresponsible sons?

Exception made for Ares because Ares loves his mommy.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

BobTheJanitor posted:

The lucifer rail seems like it would be so much better if the lock-on prioritized the orbs for maximum :hellyeah:. Right now it always aims at enemies first, so you can drop a ball right in the middle of them but you want be able to trigger it until they're all dead, which kind of defeats the purpose. Guess I could switch back to M+KB for that, but I've gotten pretty comfortable playing with the pad now and don't really want to change.

It can be really good to leave them there sometimes for pulse damage depending on what your boon is, so I'm glad it doesn't draw your aim too heavily, but you're right that it can be a problem when you want to target and can't. Any damage will trigger it though, so usually I'll just dash through my little orb piles when I get enemies close to them.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

you know when you get down to it, like 80% of all the conflict and strife that happens in Greek Mythology can be traced back to; "One day, Zeus decided to stick his dick into something he really shouldn't have"

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

JBP posted:

That record scratch is the single best sound effect in the entire game and I will not budge on that.

On the talk of Heat levels: I've avoided harping on it for a bit since the game came out fully but your success rate with runs will increase dramatically if you max out Forced Overtime and swap to the 1-dash option on the mirror. Everything can be invincibility framed through and Forced Overtime requires you to learn the animations more actively since enemies poo poo out their attacks at mach speed. If you have a good feel for i-frames you can make literally any weapon aspect and boon build viable. It completely changed the way I and my friends played once they took the plunge and tried it out.

Mr.Fuzzywig
Dec 13, 2006
I play too much Supcom

First Win! on run 5? or 6 i think, i wasnt expecting to get it this early but gaining health back on sword attack and then picking up every attack speed boon is sick as poo poo.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Finally met Thanatos and it only took fifty-one runs through. I kinda hope I see him more often from there.

hoverboard Humpty-Dumpty
Sep 5, 2007

Orange Crush Rush posted:

you know when you get down to it, like 80% of all the conflict and strife that happens in Greek Mythology can be traced back to; "One day, Zeus decided to stick his dick into something he really shouldn't have"

Athena was born when Zeus learned how to suck himself off.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

JBP posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGp9P6QvMjY

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Mirror preferences IMO from Mirror talk earlier, starting from the top:

• Shadow/Fiery Presence: Shadow is typically better overall since it applies at all times however you can try Fiery with weapons that will do chunky damage such as Excalibur or the Bow.
  • Chthonic Vitality/Dark Regeneration: Both are pretty good, but I prefer Dark Regen as if you use a Chaos boon to get extra darkness, you can get very large heals from rooms that you wouldn't normally want to take. Plus if you have the Shady companion, you get some bonus healing off of it.
  • Death/Stubborn Defiance: Death Defiance all the way. It's an extra 150% health at max level and if you're dying enough times to make Stubborn give you back more health, you need to get better.
  • Greater/Ruthless Reflex: Both are quite good, it's really a defense vs. offense mindset. Ruthless does get better than Greater if you get at least a +1 dash from Hermes.
  • Boiling/Abyssal Blood: Boiling all the way, more damage is better.
  • Infernal/Stygian Soul: I've learned to love Stygian over time over Boiling. If you get a +1 cast from Chaos or the Well and/or a Hermes boon for faster cast regen, you can spit out damage quicker with Stygian than Infernal.
  • Deep Pockets/Golden Touch: Both are pretty good IMO. Golden Touch forces you to be miserly with your coin early on but if you force some extra coin or get Side Hustle, you can easily get enough coin to buy everything in Styx.
  • Thick Skin/High Confidence: Thick Skin all the way. It's two Centaur Hearts that you don't have to take down the line.
  • Privileged Status/Family Favorite: I prefer Privileged Status as you won't ever (or it's very hard) to get 8 boons from different gods to match the damage. Getting long lasting status effects is the key to using PS properly.
  • Olympian Favor/Dark Foresight: Olympian Favor for sure. Higher boon rarities make a massive amount of difference between having a harder or easier run.
  • God's Pride/God's Legacy: God's Pride is the better choice here. Duo's and Legendary's are great, but aren't the meat and potatoes of a build, Rare/Epic boons are. Duo's and Legendary's typically make a win slightly easier as opposed to being a linchpin for the win.
  • Fated Authority/Persuasion: Both are good, but Persuasion wins out IMO. Being able to reroll a set of boons into potentially something better is extremely powerful, even more so if the first set is poor. Also with the chance to get a higher rarity roll really makes Persuasion worth the cost.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

This game is immensely fun. I haven’t really enjoyed any rougelikes before so I was hesitant but I am having a blast. I just unlocked the ability to upgrade weapons and I have no idea what to choose. Everything sounds fun!

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Bought this game today.

Met my mom about 10 hours after starting to play.

Still dunno what I should do with titans blood. Made the mistake of selling an ambrosia for an extra one. Oops.

Was a lot of fun overall. Will definitely need to do a lot more runs.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

JBP posted:

I have the prophecy to beat Charon twice in a row and I have no idea when I'd do that because (a) I think it only shows up if you visit a shop midway through a biome, which usually feels like the wrong choice in a vacuum, and (b) the tension between having enough damage to actually kill him and wanting to do it early so you actually benefit from the discount.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Got my first escape after like 40ish runs. Got really lucky with the boons that increased the sword Y attack and allowed it to deflect, and also a boon that doubled the attack damage. Then it was just a matter of alternating between mashing Y and dashing.

I also tried enabling God Mode after my first escape just to see how it affected the game, and apparently it's only a 20% damage reduction at 40ish deaths, which is a bit smaller than I expected. Not the instant-win option I assumed it would be.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Incoherence posted:

I have the prophecy to beat Charon twice in a row and I have no idea when I'd do that because (a) I think it only shows up if you visit a shop midway through a biome, which usually feels like the wrong choice in a vacuum, and (b) the tension between having enough damage to actually kill him and wanting to do it early so you actually benefit from the discount.

I'll say to you what me and my buddy say to each other when we see it: Be Brave. Worst thing that happens is you start another run.

Which, y'know, ends up in death a lot but at least you get to hear the best sound effect before you die.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Is there a boss past Hades? I've escaped about 4 times now and am still enjoying experimenting with the weapons, but I am curious if it's building to anything more at this point.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I got so so close to my first run clear with oddly enough the bow which before this I never really liked

I got the hammer upgrade that lets you charge your special, Athena special boon, and the exposed buff boon.

I could run up to enemies backstab them at point blank and do 1000 damage every hit

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

ymgve posted:

I also tried enabling God Mode after my first escape just to see how it affected the game, and apparently it's only a 20% damage reduction at 40ish deaths, which is a bit smaller than I expected. Not the instant-win option I assumed it would be.

I think God Mode starts at 20% no matter how many times you die before turning it on. I know from there it adds 2% every time you die.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

hoverboard Humpty-Dumpty posted:

Athena was born when Zeus learned how to suck himself off.

truly, the power of Wisdom on display

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

KittyEmpress posted:

Still dunno what I should do with titans blood. Made the mistake of selling an ambrosia for an extra one. Oops.

You should examine your weapons closely.

(also I think you need to have unlocked them all to start using blood; I've been playing this since before blood was a thing)

siotle
Nov 2, 2012

Stop that.
I'll comment that while death defiance is better for the vast majority of runs, all of the high heat runs I've seen use stubborn defiance. It makes sense, since the regular rooms are ridiculously deadly at that point.

danjal
Jun 10, 2009

The older I get the less I care.
Any word on a GOG release?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Unlocked both the Beowulf aspect for shield and Enkidu for gloves. Beowulf seems passable but I'm not sure I get what the designers are going for with the Enkidu aspect. The timer on the explosion is painfully long, enemies are doing extra damage while it's counting down, and you can only inflict it with a dashing special? Feels really clumsy to use in practice but the added range with the claw swipes on your basic attack is nice at least. Maybe the damage makes it actually worth it if you fully upgrade it.

Really glad this finally has a real ending though. Got this on day one of early access when Supergiant released a new game out of nowhere and it's been good to dip in every few updates and see how it progressed.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Incoherence posted:

Three death defiances help. Of course, then you're hoping Patroclus saves the run, but the Fates don't need you to reach the surface to win the bet.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I thought I was going to make it out on my last run. I got the regain HP on kill and double damage on kill hammers for the fists and had high special and critical damage chance with Artemis’ boons. I was annihilating rooms with no problem and landing 400+ damage hits on the final boss, but I stopped moving to fire my call right inside his attack range and back down I went.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I nearly escaped on my first try with the bow. I think I fired the normal attack four times.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
On my fresh V1.0 save I got to the credits on run 23 - once I managed to get a clear, it was mostly smooth sailing (only gentle heat rises as I was getting the bounties one by one for each weapon).

Found the ending genuinely quite moving and felt like a fitting end for my on and off again time with Zag. For a game so steeped in melancholy, the moments where your mother asks you not to return felt draining as you rise up out of the pool for the Nth time.
I think they handled the reason for having continued runs about as well as you could in a game like this too.

I'm now quite excited to see what happens as I dish out nectar, ambrosia and fulfill sidequests, as I didn't really do that much in EA.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Unlocked both the Beowulf aspect for shield and Enkidu for gloves. Beowulf seems passable but I'm not sure I get what the designers are going for with the Enkidu aspect. The timer on the explosion is painfully long, enemies are doing extra damage while it's counting down, and you can only inflict it with a dashing special? Feels really clumsy to use in practice but the added range with the claw swipes on your basic attack is nice at least. Maybe the damage makes it actually worth it if you fully upgrade it.

Really glad this finally has a real ending though. Got this on day one of early access when Supergiant released a new game out of nowhere and it's been good to dip in every few updates and see how it progressed.

The final claw aspect does 400 dmg when fully upgraded. You can just hit a guy once and walk away as Doom + privileged position ticks down a 700dmg nuke on them.

The new trinket is amazing, I don't think I'll ever use anything else ever again jesus.

Extreme(r) measures boss fight was a total highlight, it took a comically overpowered crit build with 325hp and shat all over it. Probably because I was eating all the hits, can't wait to try it out when it's sped up at high heat.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
is there ever an option to reset all the titan blood you've put into weapon aspects? i was fairly cautious with my blood upgrades and i'm still starting to run low with two aspects not yet unlocked

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I'm usually not that keen on the bow but this was one of the most fun runs I've had recently:

I also had the Twin Shot hammer upgrade. Basically a double-barrelled shotgun that just melted everything, including my first go at Extreme Measures 4. Get up close, hit Athena's Call, hold down attack button. Every three seconds load up the bow with Festive Fog. At one point I had the damage count up to 7500.

Speaking of EM4... this wasn't the best run to get a good measure of it since I won it relatively easily, but Hades calling Cerberus was a really funny surprise. Seems like a very tough fight if your build isn't completely OP.

I've loved everything about 1.0, really. They wrapped up the plot beautifully and gave us a great excuse to keep going after that. Honestly everything about this game is just masterful.

It's also nice that they found a way to keep the joke of Zag haplessly dying on the surface even after the plot has been resolved, as a nod to the EA period. I do kinda wish you could still visit the cottage every now and then. Would be a nice area to fish in.

I also, finally, at long last, managed to pick up the Chaos Legendary boon. :toot:

Serephina posted:

The new trinket is amazing, I don't think I'll ever use anything else ever again jesus.

If you mean the Pom Blossom then I totally agree, it's my new go-to. I still need to try the other new one, which I just unlocked.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Oxxidation posted:

is there ever an option to reset all the titan blood you've put into weapon aspects? i was fairly cautious with my blood upgrades and i'm still starting to run low with two aspects not yet unlocked

No, but if you haven’t got them yet there’s some pretty big blood payouts in the prophesies list. Beating the game with all the weapons and beating the game with all the pacts of punishment (not at once, just cumulatively) give, iirc, 10 and 15 blood respectively.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm finding this game really hard with the sword. I think it's cool and I want it to work but I get lost in all the screen noise happening in Elysium and die. It's much harder than lobbing grenades or throwing an all skewering super spear at things.

Is there a recommended fun build to shoot for with the sword? I'm using the crit chance after you special attack version. I just find I don't have the same control over what's happening and that I get wrecked hard even with high hp and weak on my aoe.

JBP fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Sep 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I should note that the game has one more ending even after the True Ending.

It involves reuniting the Greek Gods and finishing the myth