Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

forkboy84 posted:

No idea what the rules say but if someone in your house is isolating then common sense dictates you should do. Just lol at this government if that isn't the case.

Yep them's the stupidity of the rules. If you're not the one who travelled you don't have to quarantine unless you show symptoms.

BUT this presupposes the quarantinee can stick to one room, have their own separate bathroom and kitchen, or maintain 2m social distance from everyone else in their home and "thoroughly clean" every room they use after use (yeah right). Of course, draughts, convection currents etc wafting viruses around riding on 'droplets' can't get round doors or hang around in bars bathrooms.

I had to quarantine for 2 weeks when I got back from France - apart from an email from Public Health Wales saying 'you must quarantine' noone at all checked on me.
I did have to go shopping 3 times as my family were avoiding me like the plague (my sister is completely obsessed and terrified with it all) and mother is over 80 as are almost all my neighbours. But I went late evening when the shop was pretty well empty and wore mask, distancing, paid with wavy card etc.
Also I did sneak out for a walk late evenings and went places where there was noone else (we have riverside and fields round here) because if I don't my leg and hip will completely seize up.

Oh and apparently you don't need to self-isolate if you come in via Eurotunnel.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Sep 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I don’t think unbiased news works in 2020 Britain to be honest. The origin of newspapers was writers being paid by elites to write down every nasty slur they can imagine to hurl at their enemies, irrespective of accuracy. There seems to have been a brief period after WW2 in the UK where there was enough unity across the population to support actual informative and educational news but that’s not where we are right now.

Frankly I want to see 18th century political cartoons make a comeback and have a drunken John Bull farting in the face of BoJo while a shocked Keir Starmer says “that’s Treason, Johnny.”

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Belter. What's the point of self-isolating when you come back from abroad unless you have symptoms then? This is what I mean about mixed messaging, there's no logic to any of this, it's just a hodge podge of bullshit thrown together by assholes who want anyone but them to get the blame for the simultaneous death toll & economic hit. Not having a go at you, you didn't make the rules, but it's such pointless bollocks. What should actually happen is if you come back from abroad you get stuck in a hotel for a fortnight paid by the state like they do in New Zealand but this government are loving garbage

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

forkboy84 posted:

Belter. What's the point of self-isolating when you come back from abroad unless you have symptoms then? This is what I mean about mixed messaging, there's no logic to any of this, it's just a hodge podge of bullshit thrown together by assholes who want anyone but them to get the blame for the simultaneous death toll & economic hit. Not having a go at you, you didn't make the rules, but it's such pointless bollocks. What should actually happen is if you come back from abroad you get stuck in a hotel for a fortnight paid by the state like they do in New Zealand but this government are loving garbage

Exactly.

And the logic of allowing 100000 panicking citizens cutting short holidays and other visits abroad to rush back before a 4am deadline and who don't have to quarantine v others arriving just 5 mins later who have to quarantine for 2 weeks! Quarantine should be imposed immediately not give people 36 hours to come in and potentially carriers.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Cases going up, up, up the the moon.

In Manchester today the bus was at standing room, the roads were full and people were wandering around the shops at 9am. I hate this hellworld. I know there's a lot of failings to pin on the government, but Jesus making GBS threads Christ, I swear this city is trying to kill itself.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/NewcastleFlyer/status/1307936597728522240

A random planespotter out-journalisting our entire press corps here.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Exactly.

And the logic of allowing 100000 panicking citizens cutting short holidays and other visits abroad to rush back before a 4am deadline and who don't have to quarantine v others arriving just 5 mins later who have to quarantine for 2 weeks! Quarantine should be imposed immediately not give people 36 hours to come in and potentially carriers.

Aye, every time they do "quarantine will start on Monday but hey, that doesn't mean you should act like we don't have it this weekend!!!" I let out an existential holler at the stupidity/cynicism of the entire enterprise. It's lousy.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
From the scientific briefing that just finished lockdown 2: lockdownier (except this time go to the office and also eat at Pret) is on the way imminently.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I liked the graph labelled 'this is not an official prediction, but it is what could happen!!'

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Brave of the Prime Minister to take a back seat and let the experts handle the briefing.

Good job that schools /unis are back and that the furlough scheme ends next month. Can't wait to spend Christmas dying alone in a makeshift ICU.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

keep punching joe posted:

Brave of the Prime Minister to take a back seat and let the experts handle the briefing.

Good job that schools /unis are back and that the furlough scheme ends next month. Can't wait to spend Christmas dying alone in a makeshift ICU.

Don't forget evictions start again today. Perfect timing.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol that Boris apparently still isn't doing cobra meetings despite them happening

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lungboy posted:

Please, he has starmers full support on this don't just blame boris

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Impeding scrutiny should be the title of kiers biography

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

peanut- posted:

From the scientific briefing that just finished lockdown 2: lockdownier (except this time go to the office and also eat at Pret) is on the way imminently.

According to old people Facebook (via my dad) it’s starting tonight, which seems a bit quick. I’m moving this weekend, so that would not be great.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Pretending Boris baptised his baby instead of hosed off to Italy is the most pathetic excuse but dwarfed by how pathetic the journalists will be for buying it.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Great of the government to arrange a press briefing with no questions allowed, giving dire message to public but no announcements of policy measures that will support prevention of the disease. Fully expect Kier Starmer to frown extra hard and support the government fully while demanding that they do more to get things back to normal.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Feel like pure poo poo just want pret back

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Beefeater1980 posted:

Frankly I want to see 18th century political cartoons make a comeback and have a drunken John Bull farting in the face of BoJo while a shocked Keir Starmer says “that’s Treason, Johnny.”

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Jose posted:

My blame is boundless.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Wait wait wait wait

September 11th was of course the date of this infamous meeting:

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1304776788875280386

Now the "internet problems" (and the fact it was a Zoom call rather than an in-person meeting, which the Tories have been all too happy to have otherwise) suddenly make a lot more sense.

Of course not one single member of our oh-so-vital-to-democracy free press are actually going to dig into this at all, let alone ask him to actually answer, on the record, where he was that weekend. Instead the best we've got is Peston doing his "Well Downing Street say otherwise so there's really no way to know" and making a bemused face.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Lungboy posted:

With the backlog of cases, it's going to be some time before a lot of people are evicted. I honestly now think that anyone issued a section 21 today will not see a court case at any point until 2022.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i wouldn’t be surprised if Mi5/6 know boris is compromised in some way and won’t let him near some top secret stuff

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Jose posted:

The clip where he said that cut off half way through what he was saying; what was the rest of it?

If it was ‘full support for the necessary measures, and also we think there are a few Tory donors who could do with a few extra billion quid bunged their way’, then fair enough.

Otherwise it just looks like another round of that tedious game where you are supposed to give an interview without any individual part of it being able to be turned into a soundbite and used against you.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I worked at a solicitor's this summer, unless it was drugs, cases were just put in holding over and over again.

This was just my experience in West Yorkshire, but it all seemed a bit hosed. Solicitors couldn't go to prison to talk to clients so had to do it over video link, though the solicitors I was working with had a poor grasp how to use the technology and the wi-fi kept dropping if there was more than one video link happening at once. People were out on bail for stuff like assaulting emergency workers and burglary and just hanging about indefinitely. People were accidentally released from prison and couldn't get back in. Weird system

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jel Shaker posted:

i wouldn’t be surprised if Mi5/6 know boris is compromised in some way and won’t let him near some top secret stuff

They already don't give politicians any of the raw data or really anything that would be of much use to foreign intelligence because politicians are literally the worst people on Earth at keeping secrets. Besides if MI5 had evidence that a PM was a KGB asset they'd definitely be leaking poo poo to the press and otherwise plotting to bring him down like they did to Wilson, right?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Jel Shaker posted:

I doubt it
MI5 is where all the most compromised people get together and spy on their own wives

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Jel Shaker posted:

This is tinfoil hat stuff, you probably also believe that it wasn't just a coincidence that Boris was in Kirkaldy Fife last month at the same time the yacht beloning to a Russian billionaire was moored offshore.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Comrade Fakename posted:

It’s a misleading headline. If you read the article it’s more about the Tories spunking shitloads of cash on poo poo like the track and trace app that goes nowhere. I.e. it’s a competence thing, and she then proposes more (better) spending.

quote:

She unveiled proposals for a jobs recovery scheme targeted at sectors that have been closed or on reduced capacity because of social distancing rules.

In a bid to stem job losses, she also called for £3bn in funding to be brought forward to retrain the unemployed or those at risk of losing their jobs.

She urged ministers to provide additional support to viable but indebted firms due to start repaying government loans from next spring.

And she vowed to "restore trust" with the private sector, adding that she understands the "critical role business plays in creating jobs".

"Recover jobs, retrain workers and rebuild business. Three steps to a better, more secure future," she said.

"This is an ambitious Labour vision - where security and fairness aren't just aspirations, but where they are a reality for families and communities across our country."
Is there a full recording of this anywhere? Most of this makes sense from the point of supporting businesses during a demand crisis, but I'm not sure why retraining comes into it. The level of worker training doesn't really reflect what the problems are, increasing worker skill doesn't stimulate the economy if those skilled jobs don't exist due to a lack of demand, and having more skilled workers at a time when the economy's tanked would probably just lead to a decrease in wages for those skills.

(Although if I was a business owner, I would absolutely tell any political party about how there just weren't enough skilled workers, oh no! in the hope of reducing my costs and risk by getting government to pay for everything)

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Jel Shaker posted:

Don't fall into the trap the US liberals did of thinking the security services are either noble or your friends.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The former head of MI6 publicly came out against Corbyn after all

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

CGI Stardust posted:

Is there a full recording of this anywhere? Most of this makes sense from the point of supporting businesses during a demand crisis, but I'm not sure why retraining comes into it. The level of worker training doesn't really reflect what the problems are, increasing worker skill doesn't stimulate the economy if those skilled jobs don't exist due to a lack of demand, and having more skilled workers at a time when the economy's tanked would probably just lead to a decrease in wages for those skills.

(Although if I was a business owner, I would absolutely tell any political party about how there just weren't enough skilled workers, oh no! in the hope of reducing my costs and risk by getting government to pay for everything)

"Training" seems like a cargo cult thing that politicians say that doesn't actually mean anything specific, but sounds like something that should happen in an "economy"

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

CGI Stardust posted:

Is there a full recording of this anywhere? Most of this makes sense from the point of supporting businesses during a demand crisis, but I'm not sure why retraining comes into it.

In the short term paying for training is no different from paying people to dig holes and fill them in. In the long term, hopefully it has some non-zero return on the money spent.

Maybe there exists some really clever idea for something better than training that could be done by mass numbers of people safely and soon. Not obvious what it would be.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Skills wallets are back, baby!

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

big scary monsters posted:

Skills wallets are back, baby!

This would be the perfect result of Starmer's leadership, rebranding a squirrel-murderer's worst idea.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

forkboy84 posted:

Yea, as long as your intentions are good you’ll get better results just using your best judgement instead of trying to follow the government’s insane rules

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Steal the squirrel killing imo. Furry bastards think they own the place

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Tsietisin posted:

With the backlog of cases, it's going to be some time before a lot of people are evicted. I honestly now think that anyone issued a section 21 today will not see a court case at any point until 2022.
The flip side of this that I suspect if your landlord hires a bunch of flat nosed geezers to illegally eject you from the flat, you probably won't see a case for that until 2022 either.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They're renting the Not Racist Kanye puppet out to do evictions now? :v:

justcola posted:

I worked at a solicitor's this summer, unless it was drugs, cases were just put in holding over and over again.
Ah, tackling the serious issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/1307951693007589376?s=20