Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Since I quit the gym I've had a harder time being proactive with working out at home. This week I managed to exercise for about an hour Monday to Thursday, and motivated myself by just doing chest exercises with freeweights. Next week will be legs, etc., until I develop a new routine while being back in class.

I've cut a lot of sugar and excess snack foods from my diet and I've been doing really well maintaining that boundary, so while I've been losing a bit of weight at least it's mostly fat

I hope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Tried squatting for the first time in six months and my e1RM is only down 20% since the beginning of the year. Yay I guess.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Nice. My hips would probably explode if I tried back squats rn.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

So who else is excited to get mega fat for the winter?

hold hands at the park
Apr 12, 2008
Rrrraaaaggh this is bogus man! I want to go to the gym. These are valuable days of my life which could be spent being jacked. Instead I'm making do with pull ups and pushups, curling rocks and stuff.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

VorpalFish posted:

For some reason my natural cut season always starts in September, it's the best couple months to cut since everyone else puts on 5-10 pounds while you drop a few.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
I'm doing the hardest thing for me right now, trying to maintain my weight for a few months. I've been gaining and cutting weight on purpose the last few years without maintaining more than a week or 2 since those were easy for me.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

hold hands at the park posted:

Rrrraaaaggh this is bogus man! I want to go to the gym. These are valuable days of my life which could be spent being jacked. Instead I'm making do with pull ups and pushups, curling rocks and stuff.

train like rocky

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I'm four-plus months into more weight loss. I did good to start the year & gained all of it plus a few lbs back from the start of lockdown (March 16~) to Cinco de Mayo. Since then I'm down 39lbs and looking at another ten weeks of losing before taking a month's maintenance around the holidays/year end. I've been meticulously tracking calories daily so I have a decent idea of what my calorie intake should be for maintenance.

At some point in the next month I'll be adding a few hundred pounds of weights to the garage gym so I'll actually be able to lift, which I'm hopeful will unlock a bit more body comp changes as my weight goes down.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Helios Grime posted:

I'm doing the hardest thing for me right now, trying to maintain my weight for a few months. I've been gaining and cutting weight on purpose the last few years without maintaining more than a week or 2 since those were easy for me.

my diet ends on the 26th, and i will be attempting the fabled "maintenance" for three months

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

bomb posted:

For some reason my natural cut season always starts in September, it's the best couple months to cut since everyone else puts on 5-10 pounds while you drop a few.

But... You're wearing clothes?

Unless you're one of them fabled southern hemisphere folk.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

VorpalFish posted:

Way ahead of you buddy. :)

I need to get some type of cardio equipment before it gets too cold or things are gonna get worse.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

VorpalFish posted:

But... You're wearing clothes?

Unless you're one of them fabled southern hemisphere folk.

Sometimes you just wanna look good naked in front of the mirror regardless of how many layers of clothes you have to wear outside.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

If someone could sell some used equipment within, oh idk, an hour of me that'd be great. I'd take almost anything at this point.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

nooneofconsequence posted:

If someone could sell some used equipment within, oh idk, an hour of me that'd be great. I'd take almost anything at this point.

Nothing on offerup.com near you? That's where I got my 45s for ~$50 a piece

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Offerup only gets a few listings around here and they're mostly jacked up resellers. FB gets way more posts but it's all out of my radius. I'm going to have to start trawling local tag sales.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Amazon has a curl bar for $24 if anyone needs one.

https://www.amazon.com/Barbell-47-Inch-Standard-Solid-Curl/dp/B07LBRTL78?tag=slickdeals09-20&ascsubtag=975d46acf6fd11eaad48da2417169e400INT

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCuz2SBMSOI

lol

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Holy gently caress, lol, that was a good one.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

I was wondering how low Dr. Mike PhD was stooping.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug
Yes, It is very sad to see that his videos are now only just a clickbaity thumbnail and nothing behind it. Very sad.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

I've resorted to kneeling ohp. It's... not terrible. Not sure how I'll clean heavier weight but I'm gonna work in the 15 rep range so it shouldn't be a problem for awhile.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
After a summer of some plank/crunch boring ab work I grabbed a bench with the capability to incline/decline & little foothold things so I did some decline situps. Didn't feel bad yesterday doing them so I threw some extra sets on at the end and enjoyed it

I just sneezed and I do not enjoy it any more

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I got pinned under the bar while doing bench on Wednesday and had to have my wife come help get it off my chest. The first through fourth reps went fine and then my arms just gave up on the fifth rep on the way back up. Thankfully I was able to hold the bar just off my chest but that poo poo still sucked.

RamboMoe
Aug 12, 2005

This account was a birthday gift from my brother. I wanted an RC car. Fuck you.

Batterypowered7 posted:

I got pinned under the bar while doing bench on Wednesday and had to have my wife come help get it off my chest. The first through fourth reps went fine and then my arms just gave up on the fifth rep on the way back up. Thankfully I was able to hold the bar just off my chest but that poo poo still sucked.

get/make some safeties

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
Or at least learn how to dump or roll of shame lol dam

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Stupid rear end brain decided it would be smarter to call for help instead of just tilting the bar slightly to the side. My rinky dink setup doesn't have a way to attach spotter arms or I'd definitely have them.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Man this injury I got while squatting has been going on for 2 months and change now. Must be a tendon injury since it hurts in a fingernail sized spot right where the adductor muscle attaches to the hipbone? Can't squat, can't deadlift, even jogging hurts a bit. It's so slow to recover too. Every once in a while I try some Copenhagen planks to see if anything has improved and I'm always disappointed because I can't even do one it hurts so much.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Batterypowered7 posted:

Stupid rear end brain decided it would be smarter to call for help instead of just tilting the bar slightly to the side. My rinky dink setup doesn't have a way to attach spotter arms or I'd definitely have them.

Build some jerk boxes and put them on the sides under where the plates would be.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Guyver posted:

Build some jerk boxes and put them on the sides under where the plates would be.

This sounds like a good solution to the safety arm problem. Thank you!

UnfurledSails posted:

Man this injury I got while squatting has been going on for 2 months and change now. Must be a tendon injury since it hurts in a fingernail sized spot right where the adductor muscle attaches to the hipbone? Can't squat, can't deadlift, even jogging hurts a bit. It's so slow to recover too. Every once in a while I try some Copenhagen planks to see if anything has improved and I'm always disappointed because I can't even do one it hurts so much.

Are you in America and therefore priced out of seeing a doctor about it by our hellscape healthcare system?

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Batterypowered7 posted:

This sounds like a good solution to the safety arm problem. Thank you!

Are you in America and therefore priced out of seeing a doctor about it by our hellscape healthcare system?

I know some people so I can get it looked at for free but I know they're just going to say "rest it until it goes away rear end in a top hat" (just not as nicely). That's pretty much the SOP for all injuries that you can't workout through but not so bad that you can't function normally. It happens.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
https://www.barbellmedicine.com/blog/pain-in-training-what-do/

I feel like you've probably already seen this (I post it every 2-3 months lol) but here it is again anyways

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I just did my first muscle up. The moms at the playground did not immediately swarm me. What do?

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

MrKatharsis posted:

I just did my first muscle up. The moms at the playground did not immediately swarm me. What do?
were you wearing a shirt?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

MrKatharsis posted:

What about the dads?

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing
Rogue has a lot of their regular and e-coat kettlebells back in stock now, if anyone is looking for some. No luck on dumbbells, plates or bars though. I did get a pair of 5 lb urethane DBs.

Its crazy to think there was a time when you could just order whatever you wanted and they'd just send it.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Batterypowered7 posted:

my solution:

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug
Good Idea, you could even use them for dips or L-sit holds.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
Elitefts has power bars in stock right now so jump on that if you want to build up your home gym

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
Stuck at home for quarantine without a home gym? Help your friend build a pool! It's grueling physical work but it's a fantastic workout. The shoulder and back doms I got from a full 4 hours of digging was just phenomenal. Shoot, just dig a whole for any project.

You really can dig your own pool if you put forth the effort.

Dennis McClaren fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 25, 2020