Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Which Portland? Certainly not the one that's been the way its been for like 3 months now.

Yeah that one (Oregon), a big reason it had the protest culture it does is because there are regular clashes between antifa and right wing white supremacist groups like patriot prayer, a lot of which have ties to the Portland police department. Also, the history of oregon is white supremacist as gently caress, here's a decent (old) article that touches on it: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/may/31/portland-white-supremacy-racism-train-stabbing-murder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Hah! The Homelander stand in on this last episode was the same one as the one in episode 4 for the final 🤨 scene.

Also, his name is Anthony as well. Kismet, my dudes.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

enjoying this 2nd series but i hope the boys all regroup at some point

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

gh0stpinballa posted:

enjoying this 2nd series but i hope the boys all regroup at some point

Kimiko isn't done with her rip, tear, love journey

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

The thing with the stuffed animal was (for me) less haha and more incredibly tense. The show is kind of like the middle seasons of GoT where you have the feeling that pretty much anyone on screen could die at any moment (especially when Homelander is on screen). It also showed Noir's attitude towards killing all those people. He can rip a guy's head in half and a couple of minutes later be playing with a kid- a kid who was probably alone in a house full of corpses at that point...

Yeah, they really pushed the fact that no one is really able to understand BN in the world the series take place in, so it makes sense to give the viewer tonal whiplash to put them in the same shoes. Not even Homelander seems to know who's behind that mask, everyone is unconfortable with him. The line "Not you Black Noir, you're doing great!" from season 1 (on top of being hilarious at the time) most likely means, in retrospective, that he had no idea what BN was up to, but he didn't want anyone to know he's not in full command; and HL didn't really know that BN was doing Edgar's hatchet job on the side, he was probably just happy that he was not loving things up like the rest of the team and simply kept away from the disturbing mute gimp.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
That reminds me, is Black Noir's mask made of zinc? And did homelander have the same inability to see through it in the comics, or is that a show only thing?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Kinda doubt it's zinc lined, but mainly because I don't think anyone could possibly imagine Homelander giving half a gently caress who someone else's secret identity was.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The other part I loved was BN breaking down in anguish over the Compound V reveal.

They do just enough to remind you that there's a person in that suit and he's not just some "robot" guy.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
Black Noir is definitely as hosed up as the rest of the Seven, even if he's not necessarily hosed up in the same way as the rest of the Seven. Overall this show is really good at humanizing all of its characters without necessarily sympathizing with all of them. Even Homelander with his "god among men" attitude is a very understandably human monster.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

MizPiz posted:

rip, tear, love

brb getting this embroidered into signs and putting them right next to the entrance

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

alexandriao posted:

brb getting this embroidered into signs and putting them right next to the entrance

I want a Doomguy/Kimiko crossover now

I actually have a friend who is a chronic embroiderer I'll ask him this is a beautiful idea haha

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

GimpInBlack posted:

Black Noir is definitely as hosed up as the rest of the Seven, even if he's not necessarily hosed up in the same way as the rest of the Seven. Overall this show is really good at humanizing all of its characters without necessarily sympathizing with all of them. Even Homelander with his "god among men" attitude is a very understandably human monster.

Yeah it's a shame Starr isn't just being shipped a crate of Emmys. The fake out quick violent daydream this episode was great. He still needs the adulation of everyone contrary to what he told himself (literally) last episode and knows the libidinal joy of eye lasering hundreds of protestors would cost him too many precious "points."

I also like how they're laying the groundwork for the reveal about Stormfront a piece at a time so event the dimmer bulbs in the audience can have the joy of figuring it out and waiting for her to mask off. Reinvinted herself a lot, mom named with a given name so German it smells like sauerkraut, dropping the mask to rant about untermenchen every so often, Giancarlos expo dump about the Mengelesque origins of vought.

With the two most potent supes "teaming up" as it were, Maeve's insurgency of the B-listers doesn't seem to have a chance. In the long arc of the series it seems like the only weapon they can bring to bear to match Homelander is Homelander Jr.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mokinokaro posted:

The other part I loved was BN breaking down in anguish over the Compound V reveal.

They do just enough to remind you that there's a person in that suit and he's not just some "robot" guy.

Someone mentioned it earlier, but I would love if BN was crying because the stock value was tanking and he just lost a shitload of money.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Yeah it's a shame Starr isn't just being shipped a crate of Emmys. The fake out quick violent daydream this episode was great. He still needs the adulation of everyone contrary to what he told himself (literally) last episode and knows the libidinal joy of eye lasering hundreds of protestors would cost him too many precious "points."

Yeah that was great juxtaposition.

Last Episode: murders someone for vaguely implying he has a need to be loved while saying "I don't need to be loved".
This Episode: gets super mad when people don't love him, immediately falls for the person who manipulates him by raising his approval rating through memes.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Owlbear Camus posted:

In the long arc of the series it seems like the only weapon they can bring to bear to match Homelander is Homelander Jr.

Yes, because a cloistered preteen superhuman with no friends is going to remain his mom's pure and innocent little angel once puberty begins. Especially with a healthy fear of his father who will continue to tell him to "let loose" because "he's a god."

Homelander might be an rear end in a top hat, but to an angry, horny, and repressed teenage boy, he'd be the "fun" parent.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Sep 21, 2020

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yes, because a cloistered preteen superhuman with no friends is going to remain his mom's pure and innocent little angel once puberty begins. Especially with a healthy fear of his father who will continue to tell him to "let loose" because "he's a god."

Homelander might be an rear end in a top hat, but to an angry, horny, and repressed teenage boy, he'd be the "fun" parent.

You are underestimating William Butcher's appeal as the Fun Uncle who lets you play with his nunchuks and sip a beer.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Owlbear Camus posted:

You are underestimating William Butcher's appeal as the Fun Uncle who lets you play with his nunchuks and sip a beer.

billy butcher planned to kill the kid

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

sliami posted:

Nah, he was just going to abandon him for Vought to take back.

There's no way the kid ends up liking Homelander though. He threw him off a roof and knocked him unconscious.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

jabby posted:

There's no way the kid ends up liking Homelander though. He threw him off a roof and knocked him unconscious.

He doesn't need to *like* his father to use him as leverage over his mother to get what he wants. We're talking about a teenager here.

"I'm sick of you telling me what I *can't* do! Dad lets me do whatever I want!"

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 21, 2020

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

sliami posted:

I think it was more about ramsoning the kid back do Vought to buy his and Becca freedom

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

How far off from the comic have they gone with HL's kid?

He's already shown some pretty powerful stuff (grabbing and throwing HL down on the ground, laser eyes, not getting hurt from falling off the roof) and I wonder if he's going to become something like superman. The most powerful super in the world, but who's reasonably moral and well adjusted?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

^^^^^ E: in the comics Becca gets raped by HL, doesn't tell Butcher (who notices something is off but doesn't realize what has happened). While they are sleeping in their house, Becca gets killed by the laser-eyed foetus and Butcher beats him to death. That's the end of HL junior in the comics.

You're not my real dad! *levels neighborhood*

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Sep 21, 2020

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

sliami posted:

I have enough trust in the writing to think butcher is gonna get an arc, too tho, instead of just spinning his wheels stuck on "kill/abandon the supe freak kid." Maybe it starts utilitarian realizing you need to fight supes with supes and he comes to like the kid in his own right and reconcile with Becca?

They've already shown that achieving his goal of finding Becca and finding she doesn't want him and he doesn't really want her with the "baggage" of a supe bastard kind of softened him up in the guts at least for a bit.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

sliami posted:

he didn't kill the baby supe

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
The way the episode overlapped with the leak Supes were made with compound V instead of being born that way made me think the kid wasn’t going to have any powers just to hammer home that, for all his posturing, home lander isn’t anything special without his juice.

Kinda makes the choice to leak the compound out so they could get some military contracts dumber if they knew it could pass down and spread through childbirth.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

spacetoaster posted:

All the way. In the comics the baby kills Becky Butcher coming out - literally kills, not "dies in childbirth" - and Butcher clubs it to death with a lamp.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
TV Butcher is not a complete rear end in a top hat like in the comics, he would not kill the kid. In the comics... yeah I could see that

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I thought he said something to the laser-eyed baby in the maternity ward that he'd better behave or he'd be back for him when he grew up.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

He doesn't need to *like* his father to use him as leverage over his mother to get what he wants. We're talking about a teenager here.

"I'm sick of you telling me what I *can't* do! Dad lets me do whatever I want!"

I dunno, I get more of a mummy's boy vibe than a rebellious teen. He seems more like he'd do anything to protect her rather than try to manipulate her.

spacetoaster posted:

He's already shown some pretty powerful stuff (grabbing and throwing HL down on the ground, laser eyes, not getting hurt from falling off the roof) and I wonder if he's going to become something like superman. The most powerful super in the world, but who's reasonably moral and well adjusted?

HL didn't have a kid in the comic, unless you count the super-fetus that Butcher clubbed to death (and that wasn't really his).

A lot of HL's personality problems are implied to be from lacking a normal childhood though. The show makes it even more obvious with the whole breastfeeding obsession. So his kid probably does stand a chance at being better adjusted.

^^ Beaten on the comic reference, although I'll point out the baby was actually Black Noir's

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Ok, so the story with HL's kid is completely open and uncharted territory.

That's awesome.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

yook posted:

The way the episode overlapped with the leak Supes were made with compound V instead of being born that way made me think the kid wasn’t going to have any powers just to hammer home that, for all his posturing, home lander isn’t anything special without his juice.

Kinda makes the choice to leak the compound out so they could get some military contracts dumber if they knew it could pass down and spread through childbirth.

It seems that it normally doesn't. Homelander's assumption is just that because he's so powerful, his son will be different.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

jabby posted:

I dunno, I get more of a mummy's boy vibe than a rebellious teen. He seems more like he'd do anything to protect her rather than try to manipulate her.

You mean kind of like *Homelander* with Stillwell?

There's no way the kid doesn't get pissed one day when Becca grabs at him or something and he reflexively takes off her hand. Homelander kept Becca alive to torture her and stick her with a ticking superhuman bomb that she's futilely trying to disarm every day of her life. It's an infinitely *crueler* fate than the one she suffered in the comics, for reasons given previously - she's being forced to care for the child of her rape and cannot escape her rapist because she hopes she can "make things right." Every other single human being around her is probably instructed to *kill* her if she goes radically off-script or tries to escape. She's monitored almost constantly. Every single second of her life is an ever-worsening and deepening abuse, and her quoted ~ultimate revenge~ of killing herself in front of the boy and saying "your father did this" will do nothing but create a *worse* version of Homelander.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

What are some of the biggest plot holes we've seen this season?

I've managed to find a few myself- such as Kimiko being allowed to just run free after her terrorist brother gets snapped in half like a twig with the world's worst ever neck snap. I also pointed out that it made no sense for Kimiko's brother to just rush in instead of throwing things at them.

Some other goons have pointed out that Butcher's easy peezy escape from the Vought compound made no sense at all, as well as Black Noir just hiding in plain sight and being completely ignored by the first responders. What are some of the other ones?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

jabby posted:

Yeah, I'm the product of a single mother and I was certainly a shithead teen boy. But I love my mother and God help anyone who messes with her.

I got the vibe from when the kid threw HL down on the ground.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They don't really have to check a roof for a gas leak.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Playing "here's 50 pedantic things that SUCK about The Boys" probably gets hits if you make a youtube video with you making big eyes in the thumbnail but its a pretty pointless exercise tbh.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I don't think those are plot holes necessarily when one of the major themes of this show is how incompetent and unstable the people in power are. It's no wonder they'd kind of botch the finer points of their missions and let people escape or get away or whatever. Everything you mentioned is an example of someone acting impulsively, carelessly, or from strong, overwhelming emotion. It's like saying my life had a plot hole because I had a panic attack or got bored and daydreamed in the middle of the work-day instead of calmly completing my tasks.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

How Wonderful! posted:

I don't think those are plot holes necessarily when one of the major themes of this show is how incompetent and unstable the people in power are. It's no wonder they'd kind of botch the finer points of their missions and let people escape or get away or whatever.

Yeah none of the things are plot holes. There are some things that happen in a particular way and not another way because it keeps the plot on rails but that's literally all stories.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Bioshuffle posted:

What are some of the biggest plot holes we've seen this season?

I've managed to find a few myself- such as Kimiko being allowed to just run free after her terrorist brother gets snapped in half like a twig with the world's worst ever neck snap. I also pointed out that it made no sense for Kimiko's brother to just rush in instead of throwing things at them.

Some other goons have pointed out that Butcher's easy peezy escape from the Vought compound made no sense at all, as well as Black Noir just hiding in plain sight and being completely ignored by the first responders. What are some of the other ones?

I feel like these are the old trap of confusing "things that are presented or not shown for narrative convenience/characters not doing what we would do if the show was a Choose Your Own Adventure To Maximize Tactical Utility" with "plot holes."

Kimiko escaped while Stormfront was basking in the afterglow of her libidinal delight in doing superpowered hate crimes. Kimiko's brother arguably made a tactical error but we don't know how his powers work and we can't assume that he operates on perfect pragmatic maximization of them at all times.

The last two we can just chalk up to butcher being good at what he does. Ultimately the story isn't really about the "how" of him getting into the compound, it's about his interaction with Becca. So a five minute heist-like sequence of him ducking patrols and using gadgets to thwart cameras doesn't really serve the story. We get little nuggets of him indicating "good at tradecraft" is in his skill portfolio (like snapping SIMM cards) and should take it as read. Likewise him spotting the erstatz batman we can assume that (1) it's just exaggerated for the audience to see what Billy sees and (2) Batman lurking on a dormer in a suburban cul-de-sac is a funny sight gag in the dark superhero comedy show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Wouldn't Homelander want to track down and kill Butcher though? Why call off the search? I remember how terrified the Boys were of Homelander last season, when he was flying around to look for them. I suppose if you break down the technical definition of plot hole, it does not compute, but I still thought it was sloppy writing on the team's part.

I looked up the definition of plot hole "an inconsistency in the narrative or character development of a book, film, television show, etc."

I guess it makes sense that Butcher would be able to evade Vought given his character. I'm not sure how I feel about Stormfront letting the girl she was chasing just moments before just scamper away.

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 21, 2020