Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Goodguy3 posted:

So out of curiosity is Saints and Sinners going to get pissy at me if I start getting fed up with trying to sneak past these stupid human factions to get at the intel caches and just start shooting back? Seriously, it started out so neat and now it's beginning to just get tedious dealing with the humans. I'm on the second intel cache in the shallows, in the blue mansion, and I'm about to just start shooting explosive arrows at everyone since it seems impossible to properly distract them otherwise

None of the faction stuff matters, kill them all They may have patched it since but last time I played the AI acted like an aim-assist hacker and would shoot you through stuff :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I forgot how good Moss is

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

You just reminded me I somehow put it down and never finished it, unfortunately subsequently reset my Quest and lost progress. I really should take it up next weekend.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Does the Quest 2 still have an aux out? I got some really really nice Seinhausers for my original quest.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

RFC2324 posted:

I forgot how good Moss is

Yeah it's the kind of thing that doesn't "need" VR for the basic gameplay but the presentation of actually sharing a space with that darling little mouse could not BE more charming.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Owlbear Camus posted:

Does the Quest 2 still have an aux out? I got some really really nice Seinhausers for my original quest.

Yes, but just one now on the left near the USB port.

https://www.logitechg.com/en-us/products/gaming-audio/pro-gaming-headset-oculus.981-001003.html

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Turin Turambar posted:

An unexpected happy ending!

Although this also proves how important is the IPD comfort. Two extra mms (I doubt you won more than that) and you go from thinking on returning it to feeling much more comfortable.

My gf had only ever played on PSVR and found it very uncomfortable. For awhile she just wouldn't play VR when I tried to show her things. Finally she played something on my Index, and was shocked at how it didn't make her feel bad.

I think you can adjust IPD on PSVR but a lot of people don't know how and it doesn't make it obvious that you should.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

It's amazing how much a bad vr experience can put you off of even wanting to try it again. I tried Windlands back when I had a Vive (in the now ancient for VR year of 2017) and after 10ish minutes I had to stop playing and lay down for an hour. I didn't try that game again until like a week ago and with the new comfort options I'm able to play for as long as I feel like.

If that had been my first experience with VR I don't think I'd have ever tried anything else and would have just written it off.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"

Nuts and Gum posted:

None of the faction stuff matters, kill them all They may have patched it since but last time I played the AI acted like an aim-assist hacker and would shoot you through stuff :mad:

That's really good to know, since the human AI is probably the least interesting part of the game. Gotta admit that now that I've visited all the areas once it's kind of starting to lose it's charm a bit.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

8one6 posted:

It's amazing how much a bad vr experience can put you off of even wanting to try it again. I tried Windlands back when I had a Vive (in the now ancient for VR year of 2017) and after 10ish minutes I had to stop playing and lay down for an hour. I didn't try that game again until like a week ago and with the new comfort options I'm able to play for as long as I feel like.

If that had been my first experience with VR I don't think I'd have ever tried anything else and would have just written it off.

This is me with Serious Sam. It's a gorgeous, fun environment for shooting poo poo but the movement loving sucks. I can't find a way that doesn't cause horrible motion sickness that isn't also just exploiting being able to hit enemies when they can't see you.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
I was wondering about these two different walking dead games, i was confused the new one is cheaper? Are they any good or just the same games? I saw some youtube and it looked kinda tactile and fun with the backpack and stuff, any good place for reviews?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners is the one with the immersive sim elements, inventory management etc

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Is there any way I can play VR games from Steam on the Quest (by itself, without linking to a PC)? I would prefer not to pay for them on oculus when I already have them on steam.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Not without linking to a PC either with a cable or Virtual Desktop, no.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

alphabettitouretti posted:

Is there any way I can play VR games from Steam on the Quest (by itself, without linking to a PC)? I would prefer not to pay for them on oculus when I already have them on steam.

Oculus Link

Once you've got it set up your Quest will show up as a headset in Steam VR

E; misread your question - not without a pc, no.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

You might be able to email the dev and ask for a Quest key since you already have it on steam but that's likely not going to have a high success rate.

general chaos
May 20, 2001

I mean, technically you can use the virtual desktop app on the Oculus to connect wirelessly to a nearby PC and play steam games. And I would imagine it would add a bit of latency, but I've heard of people using the Shadow streaming service to essentially "rent" a gaming desktop with a monthly fee to remotely virtual desktop to.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Has there been a confirmed price for quest 2 or is it all rumors yet?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

299 for 64GB
399 for 256GB
50 for Fancy Head Strap
129 for Fancier Head Strap with Battery

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What I really want is the release date for HP Reverb G2.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Welp I wasn't going to buy one, but my brother offered me $250 for my OG Quest so he can play Squadrons. Got in on the pre-order at Costco for a Quest2. Hoping the resolution bump justifies the $extra I'm dropping.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

if you're getting the Quest 2, don't forget that you also do not get the PC connector with it, you have to drop another $80 for that cable.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
That sounds like some wildly nickel and dime poo poo lmao.

e: "I want a headstrap, better battery, and the ability to link to a PC" puts you in Index/Reverb territory

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Sep 21, 2020

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

I said come in! posted:

if you're getting the Quest 2, don't forget that you also do not get the PC connector with it, you have to drop another $80 for that cable.

You don't need the $80 cable. Check the posts a page back. An active 3.0 and a c to a works fine and can be had for around $20.

Marxalot posted:

e: "I want a headstrap, better battery, and the ability to link to a PC" puts you in Index/Reverb territory

How much does to cost to make a reverb work wirelessly?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I'm all for trashing Facebook but even with the accessories the Quest 2 is still really good value. The most significant drawbacks are the IPD limitations and the Facebook requirement.

If you don't want to spend the money on the pricier accessories, there's nothing stopping you from buying the $50 strap, Velcro, a 10000mah anker battery and a cheap USB 3 cable and end up with a price a little over what the original Quest cost.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Marxalot posted:

$299* for a better headset!

*everything else including a decent strap sold separately

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Marxalot posted:

$300 + $130* + $20 usb cable = $450. Still far away from the $1000 of the Index...
*: it includes a case too btw

Or wait two months, then you will be able to buy a chinese brand battery+strap for less than half of those $130. This may sound as cheating, but one of the features of the Quest 2 is the fact that the default strap system is removable easily, unlike Quest1.

SCheeseman posted:

I'm all for trashing Facebook but even with the accessories the Quest 2 is still really good value.

Obviously the BoM + manufacturing of the elite strap isn't $50, but a few dollars, but I guess that compensates with the fact the headset is surely sold at a loss.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Sep 21, 2020

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Director of Wireless of FRL

I think that means it will do up to "802.11ax" (6ghz). 'ad' is 60ghz, and 'ay' is 60ghz with more MIMO (more simultaneous streams with more channels)

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Enos Cabell posted:

Not without linking to a PC either with a cable or Virtual Desktop, no.

Kind of a bummer. I'll see how it works with Virtual Desktop then, and wait for sales.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Marxalot posted:

The headstrap is $50 and there's plenty of cables online for around $30 or so, which brings the price up to $380, still cheaper than the original Quest and nowhere near Index territory.

And yeah, getting a bigger battery costs more, but that's not even an option with the Reverb / Index so it's not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison there (and the battery doesn't matter if you're buying it primarily as a PC headset anyway).

Even if you decide you need the best headstrap with the built-in battery and will only buy official accessories and decide to buy the 256 gig model, that brings you up to $610 for a device that offers more functionality than the Reverb and is still not even close to the cost of an Index. And it's pretty silly to buy the most expensive option at every opportunity and then complain that it costs too much.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Lockback posted:

How much does to cost to make a reverb work wirelessly?

Hopefully they'll make that happen but if the Vive is any indication, about :smithicide: much

Turin Turambar posted:

$300 + $130* + $20 usb cable = $450. Still far away from the $1000 of the Index...
*: it includes a case too btw

Eh, the HMD itself is only around $500. I do like that the reverb apparently has the inside out tracking with the option to upgrade if you want to do a room scale setup though. It really makes buying into something like VR far less daunting when you're not including like $300 worth of base stations on the sticker price.

e: google is saying it might not have that option idk

e2: VVV fwiw I run my controllers out of battery all the time so I get it

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Sep 21, 2020

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
And an additional battery doesn't seem like a must-accessory either. If you're regularly blowing through the included one playing wirelessly, that's probably a good thing in the value category.

If you only play PC-tethered games and have no intention of ever playing wirelessly then yeah, getting the quest fully decked out is close to reverb levels with the fiber optic cable and accesories (honestly, I'd be hard pressed to get to $500 with the 64GB). Similar to the Quest, if all you want to do is play PC-tethered games, then yeah you probably should look harder one of the more expensive sets.

I mostly play games that still require a PC on my CV1, but I absolutely want to try the Q2 first since the wireless capabilities would be pretty awesome if the Tether is "good enough". If it's not, I'll return it for the G2 but from a value standpoint I'm absolutely going to first try the cheaper thing that lets you use it wherever you want.

Edit: I'd also assume the G2 will have accessories available before too long as well, and (wild thought) they will also probably charge for those.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Turin Turambar posted:

Director of Wireless of FRL

I think that means it will do up to "802.11ax" (6ghz). 'ad' is 60ghz, and 'ay' is 60ghz with more MIMO (more simultaneous streams with more channels)

All this talk and hype about wifi 6 and such has been confusing me. I thought the whole issue was bandwidth was never the issue, at least of the connection? Even wired link only used 150mb/s of bandwidth because it was bottlenecked with the 835's decoding speed. It already came nowhere neat saturating 5ghz wifi, let alone a USB 3 cable.

Is the decoding in the xr2 really going to be so much better that it would start needing the bandwidth of wifi 6?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The Reverb G2 is a WMR headset and inside-out tracking only. You can mix in Lighthouse base stations for controllers but its unreliable and requires frequent recalibration.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I found this on Slickdeals. Target is offering 10% back on the Q2 pre-orders if you belong to their circle thing, total price is $269 for the 64GB:
https://slickdeals.net/f/14356691-o...t?src=frontpage

Still think I might like that Costco deal a bit better but now I'm waffling.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

I have been profoundly unimpressed with WMR. Seems like every couple of months some beige box shits out a pile of good specs that never congeals into a real product, targeting aircraft maintenance or sensitivity training.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Marxalot posted:

Eh, the HMD itself is only around $500.

Yes, but it doesn't seem reasonable to compare a fully-kitted-out Quest 2 to an HMD-only Index, particularly when the cheapest Quest 2 model is fully functional while the Index HMD is a paperweight without some form of lighthouses and SteamVR controllers.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Marxalot posted:

Eh, the HMD itself is only around $500.

Well, that's not an apples to apples comparison, as the Quest includes controllers and sensors. /shrug

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

sethsez posted:

Yes, but it doesn't seem reasonable to compare a fully-kitted-out Quest 2 to an HMD-only Index, particularly when the cheapest Quest 2 model is fully functional while the Index HMD is a paperweight without some form of lighthouses and SteamVR controllers.

Yeah I was half joking on the index because those (official, branded) accessory costs are pretty dire. I'm sure Rebuff Reality or someone else will have a battery/headstrap for half the price within a month. But assuming forums username Chaosbreather (and past history) isn't right about the Reverb G2 then that thing could* legitimately be a good alternative for people looking to buy into the hobby who don't necessarily need/care about being mobile**

* I've mostly been avoiding reading about the reverb because it's not out yet and I can't really muster the :effort: for things that don't exist yet
** dear god I wish my headset was wireless holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

chaosbreather posted:

I have been profoundly unimpressed with WMR. Seems like every couple of months some beige box shits out a pile of good specs that never congeals into a real product, targeting aircraft maintenance or sensitivity training.

Last year I had a long period of unemployment and had to sell my rift S. In February of this year things were financially much better so I got myself a new headset but the only headset I could find with decent availability at that time was the Samsung odyssey plus (for $220) at the Microsoft store. I didn’t have a rift S to compare it to and hadn’t had a headset for about 6 months, so the rift S experience wasn’t fresh in my mind but in my mind at the time the odyssey plus was just about the same with some pretty minor differences.

Then about a month ago I saw amazon had Rift S in stock one morning so I jumped on it. About ten minutes later they were sold out again so I got lucky. A couple days later it arrived and I was able to pit them head to head in a real comparison and... in a lot of ways the Samsung is better. The colors are much more vibrant than the rift S. The screen door effect is almost non-existent on the Samsung. Lots of people say that they don’t notice it on the rift S but after several months with the great optics in the Samsung I have to wholeheartedly disagree.

Where the Samsung falls apart is the tracking and controllers. When the Samsung works it works well. But about 30% of the time I would put the headset on and be greeted by a message inside the headset to “put on your headset”. Over time I came to realize this meant that it could no longer recognize my play area. What I would have to do in this case is usually reboot and then it would be fine, but a few times I had to completely redo my play area setup. After doing that it would be fine for a couple days but eventually it would lose it again.

As for the controllers on the Samsung, they just aren’t as good as the rift s. They take two AAs each as opposed to the rift s’s one, and the Samsungs eat through the pair in two hours. On top of that, there aren’t ABXY buttons, there is a thumbstick on each controller and then a touchpad on each controller and steam vr games are inconsistent on whether to use the stick for movement and the touchpad for virtual buttons or the other way around. You have to download a bunch of steam vr controller bindings and screw around until something works well. There’s no capacitive finger tracking at all, and the controllers themselves feel flimsy, light and cheap. Then the tracking of their position is mostly fine, unless they need to be held close to your face (like being able to look down the sights of a rifle or using a bow and arrow) in which case the hand closest to your face invariably drifts off to the side making it completely useless.

The new reverb controllers are redesigned and will have buttons and sticks instead of the stick and touchpad model, but still no capacitive finger tracking. According to one YouTube video I saw from a definitely not biased guy called MixedRealityTV, the tracking up close is supposedly better.

Overall, the visual experience on the Samsung is better, but the experience of actually playing games (aside from sims where the hand controls don’t matter) is much better on the rift S. After two weeks of exclusively using the rift S I’m used to the visual downgrade, and I find the trade off of worse (but still fine) visuals for much better controls was worth it for me. What also helped is that the resale value of any headset right now is insane, I sold the Samsung for $350 after buying it for $220 and heavily using it every day.

WMR is almost there. But not quite.