Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Saralene posted:

Fortunately in this case it means it was a port based on the original source code, not a port to Valve's Source engine.

I wasn't sure which definition of "source" it was, at the risk of embarrassing myself. I assumed that it was what you said due to the lower case 's' in "source", but I am a cynical bastard and didn't want to take that for granted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Surprise retro release: Freedom Fighters by IO Interactive!

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

oh dang son

it's the one hitman engine game where you're intended to shoot everything that moves

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

The Kins posted:

Dang, that game was loving rad back in the day.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

The Kins posted:

"Wolverines!" Wait, no, that was something different.

Is Freedom Fighters worth checking out? Don't know that much about it, other than that it's a third person shooter.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I have a soft spot for IO Interactive and the music of Jesper Kyd, but I never understood the sheer amount of love it gets. It is a competent third-person shooter, it does what it does well, but I wouldn’t call it... revolutionary :v:

If you didn’t play it back in the day I wonder if you’ll really like it playing for the first time right now. But don’t let that stop you from giving IO Interactive money, they can use it now that they are independent.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Mierenneuker posted:

If you didn’t play it back in the day I wonder if you’ll really like it playing for the first time right now. But don’t let that stop you from giving IO Interactive money, they can use it now that they are independent.

Oh wow, they actually pulled through? It's nice not seeing yet another conglomerate statistic.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

The Kins posted:

I have wanted this to hit gog for years. Nothing beats pointing at a dude and sending 12 angry friends to gently caress their day up.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

ilmucche posted:

I have wanted this to hit gog for years. Nothing beats pointing at a dude and sending 12 angry friends to gently caress their day up.

You might like a game called Sacrifice.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

Nice! That's a game that I loved back in the days and of course couldn't make it work with more recent rigs.

ilmucche posted:

chaosapiant posted:

You might like a game called Sacrifice.

:hmmyes:

(I really like Sacrifice and have a soft spot for it)

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

The Kins posted:

I've definitely played a part of this, but I don't really remember any of it, other than a few scenes from the intro. So weird. Maybe it had some issue on my PC and couldn't play past the early parts.

I will definitely check this release at some point.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

all I can recall is a sniper section near the latter half of the game

it wasn't a very mindblowingly remarkable game

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
In regards to Sacrifice:

ilmucche posted:

Nothing beats pointing at a dude and sending 12 angry Cronenbergs to gently caress their day up.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Surprise releases!

Metal Gear (MSX Version, 2006 PS2 port from MGS3)
Metal Gear Solid 1 (2000 Windows 95 port)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (2003 PC Port)
Konami Collector's Series: Castlevania and Contra

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Rereleasing that particular Castlevania/Contra collection when both series already have their respective Anniversary collections with more games in them is just bizarre

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Maybe Konami didn't want the rest of the titles completely DRM-free yet, for whatever reason.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

I had no idea that there was ever any Metal Gear game for the PC, so I'm a bit gobsmacked by those.

Veib posted:

Rereleasing that particular Castlevania/Contra collection when both series already have their respective Anniversary collections with more games in them is just bizarre

That also surpised me; I assumed, as most probably did, that it was the recent re-release packages. In a weak defence if this release, this package is very inexpensive.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I only ever saw cracked releases for MGS1 and that collector series. Have a physical copy of that MGS2 port around here somewhere, but I can't recall why I never got more than a few rooms into it.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

yeah the ports were a travesty, my personal high poowater mark for japanese companies releasing tragic PC versions of console games

I've got a warez version of PC MGS2:S kicking around, it always bugged me how you can't draw an assault rifle without the trigger being taped down

(the diff between drawing and shooting on the PS2 was the amount of pressure on the pressure-sensitive face buttons)

they didn't even try

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I remember hearing that the Windows port of MGS1 was pretty good. I think it's actually a port of Intergal, which means it comes with the VR missions.

The MGS2 PC port was not great, but I found that someone made a patch for it: https://github.com/VFansss/mgs2-v-s-fix/wiki. There's a similar installer for MGS1 PC that I think gets it to run in 1080p and all, but I think it qualifies as :filez: since it comes with the whole game.

scamtank posted:

yeah the ports were a travesty, my personal high poowater mark for japanese companies releasing tragic PC versions of console games

I've got a warez version of PC MGS2:S kicking around, it always bugged me how you can't draw an assault rifle without the trigger being taped down

(the diff between drawing and shooting on the PS2 was the amount of pressure on the pressure-sensitive face buttons)

they didn't even try

MGS2's PC port I think was based off the XBOX version. I don't know if the XBOX has pressure sensitive buttons, but that could have been part of the problem.

I didn't own it, but the worse PC port I remember from around that time was the one for Resident Evil 4. Apart from performance issues, it lacked something that you'd expect from a PC port of that game.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 26, 2020

Pushy Cat
Jun 24, 2016

I am using the mgs2 fan patch with a 360 gamepad it works. no pressure button so they re-mapped things, like holstering gun with the L3. it also installs easy with a nicely done startup window

Pushy Cat
Jun 24, 2016

also fwiw if i can get this patch working you can too :dings:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Pushy Cat posted:

I am using the mgs2 fan patch with a 360 gamepad it works. no pressure button so they re-mapped things, like holstering gun with the L3. it also installs easy with a nicely done startup window

Are you using the GOG version or an old disc version?

Pushy Cat
Jun 24, 2016

gog

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

oh jesus, thanks for reminding me of the state RE4 was in at start

the lighting engine was entirely out of commission, everything was just fullbright. I recall the gaming magazine i used to read had like a whole thing on the subject of de-fuckifying the awful release of that game with mods

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

scamtank posted:

oh jesus, thanks for reminding me of the state RE4 was in at start

the lighting engine was entirely out of commission, everything was just fullbright. I recall the gaming magazine i used to read had like a whole thing on the subject of de-fuckifying the awful release of that game with mods
The original RE4 and DMC3 PC ports were farmed out to Sourcenext, a studio with a... very mixed history with porting console games. They were so bad that Capcom made extra sure that their next-gen engine, MT Framework, would natively support PC just to make extra sure that ports of that "quality" would never happen again.

Both ports were eventually completely redone by Poland-based QLOC (who have a pretty strong history of good-rear end PC ports) for their HD re-releases on PS3/360/PC.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

The Kins posted:

The original RE4 and DMC3 PC ports were farmed out to Sourcenext, a studio with a... very mixed history with porting console games. They were so bad that Capcom made extra sure that their next-gen engine, MT Framework, would natively support PC just to make extra sure that ports of that "quality" would never happen again.

Both ports were eventually completely redone by Poland-based QLOC (who have a pretty strong history of good-rear end PC ports) for their HD re-releases on PS3/360/PC.

funny enough the HD rerelease of re4 has never run well on any pc i've tried it on. it either slows to a crawl or doesn't start at all! there's probably some way to fix it like a fan patch or something but I never bothered since i played it on console way back and wasn't gonna replay it for a while anyway.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The best part of the RE4 port was no mouse control. The default was WASD to move and 2468 on the numpad to aim.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Kibayasu posted:

The best part of the RE4 port was no mouse control. The default was WASD to move and 2468 on the numpad to aim.

:stare:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It may have been the arrow keys but my brain wants to say numpad. Maybe that was another game. Either way, no mouse control. That had to be hacked in by a mod.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Kibayasu posted:

I remember this, and it was bloody awful. Fortunately, a fan patch was soon to follow. Still, colossally bloody stupid.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

lmao

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

That's what I was hinting at. You'd think that at the very least, a PC port of RE4 would give you mouse aiming.

Now that I think about it, it seems like a lot of PC ports in the mid-2000s were pretty sub-par.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Max Wilco posted:

Now that I think about it, it seems like a lot of PC ports in the mid-2000s were pretty sub-par.
PC Gaming in general went through a pretty rough patch in the mid-2000s, in the time period between the PS360 generation of consoles launching and digital distribution fully taking hold. Console ports were hilariously bad, shelf space (especially in the US) was at a premium, indies had way fewer opportunities to make a buck, and everything had varying degrees of painful DRM (Remember STARFORCE?)

This time period was where the "PC gaming is dead" catchphrase spawned. Thankfully for gaming as a whole, it got better. :zombie:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Not to mention that was also right around the peak of "well PC doesn't deserve our game because pIrAcY" dipshittery, though I guess that goes hand in hand with digital distro not being fully cemented yet.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

John Murdoch posted:

Not to mention that was also right around the peak of "well PC doesn't deserve our game because pIrAcY" dipshittery, though I guess that goes hand in hand with digital distro not being fully cemented yet.

Cliffy B's war on piracy and demos (calling them like sleeping with a cheap hooker) was a weird time.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I think the poo poo ports thing didn’t really start clearing up until 2010. That was when Capcom started releasing stuff like Dead Rising 2 on that new engine someone mentioned, on top of Steam really taking off and showing publishers there was a huge market for PC games. Between late 2010 and now I don’t think I bought more than a half dozen poo poo ports.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I think the poo poo ports thing didn’t really start clearing up until 2010. That was when Capcom started releasing stuff like Dead Rising 2 on that new engine someone mentioned, on top of Steam really taking off and showing publishers there was a huge market for PC games. Between late 2010 and now I don’t think I bought more than a half dozen poo poo ports.

poo poo ports aren't really possible in a technical sense anymore, because the vast majority of games are built on middleware engines like Unity or Unreal, and control setups are largely standardized (eg mouse +keyboard, WASD for movement, R for reload, E for generic interaction/use, etc). You have to really gently caress up badly now to make a game that doesn't work reasonably well ported to another platform flavour with a modern engine.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Angry_Ed posted:

Cliffy B's war on piracy and demos (calling them like sleeping with a cheap hooker) was a weird time.

I’m sorry....what? Is there a link to this nonsense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Neddy Seagoon posted:

poo poo ports aren't really possible in a technical sense anymore, because the vast majority of games are built on middleware engines like Unity or Unreal, and control setups are largely standardized (eg mouse +keyboard, WASD for movement, R for reload, E for generic interaction/use, etc). You have to really gently caress up badly now to make a game that doesn't work reasonably well ported to another platform flavour with a modern engine.

Horizon Zero Dawn was an absolute train wreck of a port last month.