Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://twitter.com/WorldCup_of_MPs/status/1307952754443333633?s=20

I know this doesn't matter a toss, but still.

Corbs has a comfortable lead at the moment, at 47% to Rosena's 32.2%. Dawn is in last with 5.3% so people could probably vote for Dawn.

E: Dial 105 for the electricity helpline if you have a power cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Also, there's a protest in Canary Wharf in London today over the evictions at Somerford Gove. You can find more info on their Twitter feed: https://twitter.com/groverenters

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Guavanaut posted:

Government poo poo at trans rights as expected.

In the middle of this Vice article there’s a point might be of interest.
https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/akzpj4/conservative-party-culture-war-uk

quote:

Asked what the reasoning was behind the letter, one of the signatories who wished to remain anonymous said: “Its purpose was to make sure that Boris knew, on this and actually all LGBT issues, that he had the party behind him. I mean, the Sunday Times piece a few months ago that said we were going to roll back trans rights – that was bullshit. It was just people wanting us to roll back rights, thinking that if they leaked to the media that we were going to do it, that somehow we would therefore do it. And therefore it was important that the party also had voices saying we are behind GRA reform.”

Referring to an earlier ST article saying much the same thing based entirely on anonymous leaks.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Wes probably did mean to say that he was not unconcerned, though whether he actually is concerned is another matter

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

blues thief posted:

"That thing I said? Actually, I meant the opposite."

He probably did actually misspeak, I don't for a second think the labour leadership do take the concerns seriously but I do think that's the standard PR bullshit line he had practised before he went on.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

jabby posted:

https://twitter.com/FromSteveHowell/status/1308042013170950144
Dunno if this has been discussed, but it seems pretty good to me. I still want Momentum to try and secure internal Labour elections for the Left, but so far that's all they've done when they were pitched as much more of a community group. Mobilising people to peacefully resist evictions is perfect.

This is exactly what Momentum should be doing. Helping people on the ground in real ways is how facist orgs get mindshare before being in any way capable of taking power, so why not the Left?

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 21, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Cerv posted:

In the middle of this Vice article there’s a point might be of interest.
https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/akzpj4/conservative-party-culture-war-uk

Referring to an earlier ST article saying much the same thing based entirely on anonymous leaks.
It likely is that, but doing the most :effort: thing possible on GRA reform and saying you still need multiple medical officials signing off but now it's £100 instead of £140 feels incredibly on brand for this government.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Enjoying this weird rollercoaster ride

https://twitter.com/marklowen/status/1308061222575710208?s=21

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol

https://twitter.com/frankieboyle/status/1308043733158498304?s=20

blues thief
Apr 1, 2013
Yeah, let's give Streeting the benefit of the doubt. His record on listening to trans concerns speaks for itself after all.
https://twitter.com/wesstreeting/status/1290362069208924160

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

blues thief posted:

https://twitter.com/wesstreeting/status/1308036701584068608

"That thing I said? Actually, I meant the opposite."
No, I think there was probably just a mix up at the printers.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

The track and trace app continues to be dumbfounding. I could name five people out of my incubator alone that could roll this out in weeks, It’s just all being hosed up so badly.

And I updated my phone last night to see this:

woooo! Finally!

Oh. :eng99:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-...ab-global-en-GB

quote:

Face masks could be giving people Covid-19 immunity, researchers suggest

Mask wearing might also be reducing the severity of the virus and ensuring that a greater proportion of new infections are asymptomatic

By Georgina Hayes 12 September 2020 • 5:00pm

Face masks may be inadvertently giving people Covid-19 immunity and making them get less sick from the virus, academics have suggested in one of the most respected medical journals in the world.

The commentary, published in the New England Journal of Medicine, advances the unproven but promising theory that universal face mask wearing might be helping to reduce the severity of the virus and ensuring that a greater proportion of new infections are asymptomatic.

If this hypothesis is borne out, the academics argue, then universal mask-wearing could become a form of variolation (inoculation) that would generate immunity and “thereby slow the spread of the virus in the United States and elsewhere” as the world awaits a vaccine.

It comes as increasing evidence suggests that the amount of virus someone is exposed to at the start of infection - the “infectious dose” - may determine the severity of their illness. Indeed, a large study published in the Lancet last month found that “viral load at diagnosis” was an “independent predictor of mortality” in hospital patients.

Wearing masks could therefore reduce the infectious dose that the wearer is exposed to and, subsequently, the impact of the disease, as masks filter out some virus-containing droplets.

If this theory bears out, researchers argue, then population-wide mask wearing might ensure that a higher proportion of Covid-19 infections are asymptomatic.

Better still, as data has emerged in recent weeks suggesting that there can be strong immune responses from even mild or asymptomatic coronavirus infection, researchers say that any public health strategy that helps reduce the severity of the virus - such as mask wearing - should increase population-wide immunity as well.
But yeah, yer da' will still insist that they do nothing.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

It's....Rebekah Vardy

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

No the virus doesnt spread at work, or in schools. Only in our homes when we meet each other there.

genuinely thought this was a joke until I heard Mancock say it in this clip :psyduck:

https://www.channel4.com/news/health-secretary-matt-hancock-warns-the-uk-is-at-a-tipping-point

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I would like to issue a blanket statement that if I ever appear to say something offensive or embarrassing, then I misspoke and actually intended to say the inoffensive and non-embarrassing version instead. Trying to hold me accountable for any offensive or embarrassing statement is ipso facto libel and/or slander and you'll be hearing from my lawyer.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Bobby Deluxe posted:

He does, yeah

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I was thinking about a variation of this earlier today: that wearing a face mask properly will also give some protection from seasonal flu, since the typical strain usually has a preferred 'up the nose' temperature that it multiplies at. Wearing a mask and bathing your face in blistering mouth air all day is likely to raise the temperature of your nose somewhat, which will interfere with whatever process a virus multiplies by, which I can't remember because it's been a loooong time since GCSE Biology.
It won't do anything for the shitwits who keep their masks below their nose, which is a bonus, frankly.

Melissa McCarthyism
Jan 18, 2007

lol
https://twitter.com/RealBobMortimer/status/1308072169092648962

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

kingturnip posted:

whatever process a virus multiplies by, which I can't remember because it's been a loooong time since GCSE Biology.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I just got an email from The World Transformed about "Maintainting a Radical Horizon"

Ms Adequate working her way into the higher ranks of the left I see

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

kingturnip posted:

It won't do anything for the shitwits who keep their masks below their nose, which is a bonus, frankly.
Kind of. It unfortunately applies with the caveat that wearing a mask primarily stops the virus going outward to other people. Masks still remain relatively ineffective at stopping the virus coming in.

You can wear all the masks you like but if every other dickhead in the shop is infected and coughing on the produce, it'll barely make a difference.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I have noticed as I go about my business outside and as mask wearing in shops has finally become compulsory in Wales, that those not wearing masks when out and about who I can see just walking around 'normally' and unmasked outside do tend to give me a wider berth when possible when they see me in a mask - eg I went for a masked walk up alongside the river both Saturday and Sunday and there's a narrow path.
Yesterday it was like Piccadilly Circus - never normally that busy.
I noticed people just doing the normal people-passing on the narrow bit ahead of me, but when I came along they would do their best to squash into a side or go back or forward a few paces where there were some wider bits of the path. So me wearing my mask seems to have a deterrent effect on other people, getting them to practice a little more social distancing than they might otherwise. Of course, I might just smell :D (JOKE!!!)

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

What the.. Frankie Boyle has blocked me? How did *that* happen?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Biggus Dickus posted:

What the.. Frankie Boyle has blocked me? How did *that* happen?

You’re probably on one of the block lists people subscribe to.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Kokoro Wish posted:

This is exactly what Momentum should be doing. Helping people on the ground in real ways is how facist orgs get mindshare before being in any way capable of taking power, so why not the Left?

Not to mention that there's huge amounts of good to be done helping people navigate the intentionally hostile system of benefits/laws that might help them. Just helping people appeal their evictions and claim the benefits they're entitled to is a great help even before you get to blocking baliffs with human chains and live-streaming evictions for the media attention/fundraising.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Red Oktober posted:

You’re probably on one of the block lists people subscribe to.

How would I add people to such a list? Asking for a friend.

Edit: and how would I check which one(s) I’m on?

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
oh my god covid SUCKS

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A bold position but one that I think will receive support from all corners of the political spectrum.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
It's starting to feel like shielders have been utterly forgotten in wave 2 planning.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Biggus Dickus posted:

How would I add people to such a list? Asking for a friend.

Edit: and how would I check which one(s) I’m on?

Apparently: You can see what lists you are on by clicking the 'lists' link in your profile. there's a tab where you choose lists you have made or lists you are on.
(This was about blocklists too not just your own lists.)

(Info from mumsnet. No idea if it works as I haven't signed in to Twitter for several moons now but recall being blocked by people on twitter that I have never interacted with - no problem, just sign on with a different name or view without signing in LOL.) I think some people have blocked anyone who follows JVL for example (judging from those who seem to have blocked me).

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 21, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Haymarket Books offering a freebie for the next two weeks:

https://www.haymarketbooks.org/books/1602-can-t-pay-won-t-pay?discount_code=CANTPAY

Can't Pay, Won't Pay
The Case for Economic Disobedience and Debt Abolition
by Debt Collective
Foreword by Astra Taylor

I think it might be US-orientated but not sure. May have some useful info in it for some folk.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Apparently: You can see what lists you are on by clicking the 'lists' link in your profile. there's a tab where you choose lists you have made or lists you are on.

Thanks for this. I’m on a few that mention landlords (I’m not) and Grimsby (I am) but that’s about it. Very confusing.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

MikeCrotch posted:

I just got an email from The World Transformed about "Maintainting a Radical Horizon"

Ms Adequate working her way into the higher ranks of the left I see

Ah, that's a typo, it was meant to say A Radical Horizontal.

Actually on reflection that just sounds like a combination Labour-Lib Dem campaign platform, so maybe not.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It says fans of prepper movies not actual preppers :D

I would suspect that whilst actual preppers are most often all about being really horny to kill democrats and minorities, if you just watch a lot of movies related to apocalyptic scenarios you more probably just end up knowing not to be the oval office that hides the bite, and that in long-term situations like hiding from the horde/virus you're going to be destroyed from the inside by rising tensions so you need to get out ahead of that and keep morale up.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Guavanaut posted:

It likely is that, but doing the most :effort: thing possible on GRA reform and saying you still need multiple medical officials signing off but now it's £100 instead of £140 feels incredibly on brand for this government.

Side question, when did people start calling Occam’s razor “Hanlon’s razor”?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Beefeater1980 posted:

They're two different things (the latter modelled on the former). Hanlon's Razor is "don't attribute to malice what can be explained by incompetence".

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Beefeater1980 posted:

They are different and complementary. Any time the explanation involving malice is _simpler_ than the one involving incompetence, then malice becomes more the way to bet.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also worth noting is that Occam's razor is "when there are competing hypotheses for the same prediction, select the solution with the fewest assumptions" not "the simplest explanation is most likely the right one", otherwise 'God did it" and "there are two genders" become correct statements because they're nice and simple, but both make massive assumptions.

e: ^^ Like in that case, "the Tories want to help the country, they're just very bad at it" contains far more assumptions than "they self select for the worst possible people."

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Biggus Dickus posted:

Thanks for this. I’m on a few that mention landlords (I’m not) and Grimsby (I am) but that’s about it. Very confusing.

Try tweeting @unblock_list this

quote:

@unblock_list what blocktogether lists am I on?

edit: nevermind, twitter suspended the account.

The lists above (landlords, grimsby etc) aren't the same - the blocklists are imported by people and private.

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 21, 2020