Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

tuyop posted:

Can you install Docker on it? Might be the use case for a VPS or Seedbox! Edit: otherwise a computer might be the ticket. Specifically a Raspberry Pi with transmission and a vpn.

I'm only generally familiar with the Pi, is there a model or specific kit you could recommend for my purposes? Just glancing on Amazon, this thing looks like it should be able to do what I need. Will it need additional local storage for OS and other software, like an SD card?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Organic Lube User posted:

I'm only generally familiar with the Pi, is there a model or specific kit you could recommend for my purposes? Just glancing on Amazon, this thing looks like it should be able to do what I need. Will it need additional local storage for OS and other software, like an SD card?

As long as you’re comfortable with a command line!

You don’t need all that stuff, just the RPi, a 16gb SD card, and a 15W USB-C power supply. And an Ethernet cable, of course. A case will keep you from accidentally shorting connections on the board, but unnecessary as long as you never touch it while the power is on!

A power supply like this will work: https://www.amazon.com/JOVNO-Converter-Transformer-3-5x1-35mm-Micro-USB/dp/B08C9M27L8
Any old SD card will do but this one is $7 https://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-Ultra-Micro-UHS-I-Adapter/dp/B073K14CVB
If you want a case this one’s only $8 https://www.amazon.com/MazerPi-Raspberry-Cooling-Heatsink-Model/dp/B07W3ZMVP1

The case comes with heat sinks and a fan that’s surely noisy as poo poo. Totally unnecessary but probably not harmful. I have an RPi3 that’s intermittently done VPN, NAS, Adblocking, and Plex media serving duties simultaneously and never throttled or shut down even though it lives in a lovely 3D-printed case behind a filing cabinet suspended by an Ethernet cable.

As for how you get that going, you download the raspbian lite image, and then burn it to the SD card using Balena Etcher or dd if you have a bash machine or whatever other utility you like. You may have to go to a library or friend to use a computer for this. Then you go into the boot directory of the SD card and add a file that’s just called ssh. No extension or any contents.

From there, you plug it into your router and the wall and get an ssh app for your phone. Hostname is raspberrypi, user pi, password raspberry. Raspbian is a fork of Debian so it uses apt. You’ll also want to run raspi-config once you get in. There are many guides online for turning it into whatever kind of machine you like, but it runs docker and stuff. As a media server, you’ll be plugging in USB drives or going crazy and using a SATA hat

Something that really sucks is that RPis are very sensitive to power loss so you should either backup your SD card every time you spend some time on it, or get a cheap UPS (or build your own!). A power failure could straight-up destroy the SD card and force you to start from scratch except your external devices.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 29, 2020

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Crossposting from the NAS thread in SHSC because I didn't realize the HTPC thread was over here in IYG

I have a media PC set up in my living room. It's a full W10 environment, just like at your normal computer. I've got a full wireless mouse and keyboard out there, but I don't use them often because they're unwieldly. Mostly I use one of those all-in-one keyboard things like this (but not this exact model):

It mostly sucks. The track pad is disappointing and the m1/m2 buttons are really poorly located. I'd like to replace it with something much more reliable and accurate. In an ideal world, the mouse control and m1/m2 would be operable at the same time, so that I can hold my kid in one hand and start a video with the other.

Plex is installed on the computer for local video files, but I watch Netflix and YouTube regularly too, and also will look up random odds and ends on Firefox occasionally as well. If there's a frontend that seamlessly accesses a local media library/plex as well as Netflix and YouTube I'd consider it, but I'm doubtful such a thing exists.

Do you guys have any suggestions on all-in-one keyboards for your media PCs?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
get a Roku or a Shield and use your phone to browse the web

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Plex is installed on the computer for local video files, but I watch Netflix and YouTube regularly too, and also will look up random odds and ends on Firefox occasionally as well. If there's a frontend that seamlessly accesses a local media library/plex as well as Netflix and YouTube I'd consider it, but I'm doubtful such a thing exists.
Kodi can handle Netflix and Youtube with plugins, though Netflix has limitations for DRM reasons. You don't get 4K on anything but supported Android devices and may be forced to software video decoding so CPU usage might be higher than expected.

Really though the more you care about subscription streaming services the more it makes sense to just switch to an Android TV, Fire TV, or Roku device as your main movie/TV frontend. PC support for many of those services is limited even in the browser. Netflix 4K and HDR modes only work in Edge or their Windows 10 app with specific GPUs for example, Amazon Prime doesn't support either mode on PC at all.

Keep the PC for gaming, Plex server, etc. but there's a reason the thread title is what it is. HTPCs become a real pain in the rear end really quickly if you care about more than just a local media collection.

This is coming from someone who ran WMC as long as it was viable and then spent years janitoring a MySQL based Kodi shared library setup before giving in to Plex a few years back. Yes you lose some functionality but the gains in usability generally outweigh those losses.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Do we have a shield thread? Just bought one, haven’t set it up yet. Gotta flash my router so it can do NAS like things.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Crossposting from the NAS thread in SHSC because I didn't realize the HTPC thread was over here in IYG

I have a media PC set up in my living room. It's a full W10 environment, just like at your normal computer. I've got a full wireless mouse and keyboard out there, but I don't use them often because they're unwieldly. Mostly I use one of those all-in-one keyboard things like this (but not this exact model):

It mostly sucks. The track pad is disappointing and the m1/m2 buttons are really poorly located. I'd like to replace it with something much more reliable and accurate. In an ideal world, the mouse control and m1/m2 would be operable at the same time, so that I can hold my kid in one hand and start a video with the other.

Do you guys have any suggestions on all-in-one keyboards for your media PCs?

I have an HTPC setup and I've got two different Logitech AIO keyboards. The newer one is a K830 that is apparently 5 years old, and I like it fine. I guess I mean that when I use it, any trouble I have with the trackpad or buttons goes unnoticed because I'm more frustrated with my distance from the TV or the pain of being an old man sitting on a hard floor. I have an older Logitech with some ugly 80s-looking color spray design and the trackpad is noticeably worse, so I'd say stick with newer models.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I have an HTPC setup and I've got two different Logitech AIO keyboards. The newer one is a K830 that is apparently 5 years old, and I like it fine. I guess I mean that when I use it, any trouble I have with the trackpad or buttons goes unnoticed because I'm more frustrated with my distance from the TV or the pain of being an old man sitting on a hard floor. I have an older Logitech with some ugly 80s-looking color spray design and the trackpad is noticeably worse, so I'd say stick with newer models.

I have an older one that I like a lot, but it doesn't have back lighting. My only issue (as a single guy living alone, thus can put up with the pains of having a PC as a media device) is when I have it and my laptop on my coffee table and I grab the wrong device (eg, trying to control my TV with my laptop).

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I keep trying to justify Kodi even with my shield and yeah one of the major drawbacks is either not having a shared watched list or having to hack it together...Plex/Jellyfin just seems to be easier if you have the ability to host it with a NAS.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I know I'm overthinking this. The flash drive I have in my Shield is slightly too wide and blocks the other USB port, so I'm looking for a thinner one. So many reviews of knock off drives/running too hot on amazon. I know people are dumb. What should I grab?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

codo27 posted:

I know I'm overthinking this. The flash drive I have in my Shield is slightly too wide and blocks the other USB port, so I'm looking for a thinner one. So many reviews of knock off drives/running too hot on amazon. I know people are dumb. What should I grab?

Could just grab a little usb extender instead

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Once again, overthinking, but I've not had good luck with USB extensions and I'm concerned with how that might affect performance of the drive

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

codo27 posted:

Once again, overthinking, but I've not had good luck with USB extensions and I'm concerned with how that might affect performance of the drive

Are you doing anything spicier than playing back video stored on it? You can probably afford to lose a good bit of transfer speed if not.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Its just extra due to the truly tragic amount of onboard storage you get with the Shield. I run everything off the NAS

stevewm
May 10, 2005

codo27 posted:

What kind of terrible USB extension cords have you been using?!

Get one of these: https://amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Extension-Cable-Male-Female/dp/B014RWAMWC/

It will work fine and will not affect performance at all.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

from what I've seen as long as you keep the USB run under 10ft you shouldn't have any problems, 10+ i've had issues.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I'm using a USB 3.0 - 2,5" SATA enclosure I got from eBay for $7 or whatever, and then I just use whatever SSD or old harddrive I have around, to get 120GB-1TB of space.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Finally got my QNAP TS-230 and Shield Pro running a Plex Server set up, but I've run into a problem. Plex won't populate my movies. All of my shows/music/movies are on a shared drive from the NAS just in a different folder for each one, and the shows/music all show up. If I put my movie folders in as an "Other Videos" library, they show up but then I don't get movie posters, title parsing, etc.

Any ideas?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

VulgarandStupid posted:

Finally got my QNAP TS-230 and Shield Pro running a Plex Server set up, but I've run into a problem. Plex won't populate my movies. All of my shows/music/movies are on a shared drive from the NAS just in a different folder for each one, and the shows/music all show up. If I put my movie folders in as an "Other Videos" library, they show up but then I don't get movie posters, title parsing, etc.

Any ideas?

I haven't run into any scraping problems in a long time for Plex my folder layout looks like

TV/Show Title (year)/Season
Movies/Movie Title (year)/

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Photex posted:

I haven't run into any scraping problems in a long time for Plex my folder layout looks like

The thing is I had this all set up as a FREENAS Plex system before, the folder system was pretty much the same and most of the files are exactly what they were before, which is why I'm really confused about it now.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Photex posted:

Ran everything through TMM. It didn't help...

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Had to change the scanner or database type, from Plex to Plex Movie?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Have an issue I'm hoping to get some insight on.

I host a weekly move night using a HTPC hooked up to my receiver (Onkyo TX-SR605) via an HDMI from the graphics card directly plugged into the receiver. The receiver is hooked up to my TV and a 5.1 surround sound system. Unfortunately my HTPC's power supply died, so temporarily we wanted to use my friend's laptop in it's place.

His laptop has an HDMI port, so we figured it would be as simple as swapping the HDMI cable (Receiver --> HTPC video card) off the video card and into the HDMI for the laptop. The issue is that the laptop cannot detect the TV through the receiver. There is no option to broadcast to a second screen. If we plug the laptop's HDMI port directly into the TV it can do it, but then we don't have sound, since the 5.1 system is handled by the receiver.

Is there any way to get the laptop to acknowledge the TV through the receiver?

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 5, 2020

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

As a workaround you can use ARC or an optical cable to loop the sound back to the receiver from the tv when you have the laptop plugged directly into the television.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
My Harmony Smart Control remote seems to be shooting the battery out with a spring in the compartment. Just doesn't seem secure in there now even with the cover on. Unless I can fix that I'll probably have to get something new since they aren't made anymore. The Hub works fine, so is there another Harmony I should look at?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Whats a good file explorer for the Shield, something that isn't a steaming pile of adware and is actually usable?

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

codo27 posted:

Whats a good file explorer for the Shield, something that isn't a steaming pile of adware and is actually usable?

I'm using X-Plore File Manager.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

looking for an honest review of plex's OTA DVR functionality, specifically on a shield pro. does it just work or is it a pain in the rear end?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Jenny Agutter posted:

looking for an honest review of plex's OTA DVR functionality, specifically on a shield pro. does it just work or is it a pain in the rear end?

I use a Shield Pro as a client and a PC as the server running it, with an HDHomerun as the tuner and it basically just works.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Jenny Agutter posted:

The Plex client and Shield bit work fine. Your experience will depend a lot more on the quality of your OTA tuner + antenna setup. If that's solid then you'll find it works just as well as "regular" TV.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

i was looking more at using the shield as a server with a USB tuner and external ssd. just want a relatively all-in-one DVR/streaming box for my parents that i won't have to remotely troubleshoot constantly. the impresion im getting is that this is not the path to go down.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Jenny Agutter posted:

i was looking more at using the shield as a server with a USB tuner and external ssd. just want a relatively all-in-one DVR/streaming box for my parents that i won't have to remotely troubleshoot constantly. the impresion im getting is that this is not the path to go down.

Could just use the Channels app on the Shield with a USB tuner and save yourself the trouble of getting then tuned in to Plex and paying for PlexPass.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Still waiting on that HomerunHD device after my last post in March lol. Though at this point it's becoming a bit of an academic choice when our TV viewing has dropped off pretty hard since network TV is largely blah but SPORTS is a factor.

Still, tried to make my old Ceton play nice with Windows 10 but found it simply couldn't accept the needed firmware to possibly make that work. So the old Win7 box hides in the corner only to come on to record TV while a new 3700X AMD machine is now the "PC TV". Plus side this sucker handles actual games so I've been able to do things like Fall Guys or GTA5 in the media room which is pretty awesome. Long term plans are to add a VR headset to the whole thing.

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 19, 2020

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'm having a hell of a time with Kodi picking up my bluray backups I just made.

I just ripped my Gravity Falls blurays to my NAS, but I can't get Kodi to scrape it. It's the first time I'm doing bluray rips, and the first time I'm trying it as a folder structure instead of converting it to an ISO like I did with my DVDs. However, according to the Kodi wiki, I should have it set up properly. Here's an example of what I have:

code:
admin@***:/volume1/Media/TV$ ll Gravity\ Falls/s01e01e02e03e04e05e06/BDMV/
total 96
drwxrwxrwx+ 10 shared users 4096 Nov 14 08:43 .
drwxrwxrwx+  6 shared users 4096 Nov 14 09:22 ..
drwxrwxrwx+  2 shared users 4096 Nov 14 08:43 AUXDATA
drwxrwxrwx+  6 shared users 4096 Nov 14 08:43 BACKUP
drwxrwxrwx+  2 shared users 4096 Nov 14 08:43 BDJO
drwxrwxrwx+  2 shared users 4096 Nov 14 08:43 CLIPINF
-rwxrwxrwx+  1 shared users  172 Nov 14 08:43 index.bdmv
drwxrwxrwx+  3 shared users 4096 Nov 14 08:43 JAR
drwxrwxrwx+  3 shared users 4096 Nov 14 08:43 META
-rwxrwxrwx+  1 shared users 3846 Nov 14 08:43 MovieObject.bdmv
drwxrwxrwx+  2 shared users 4096 Nov 14 08:43 PLAYLIST
drwxrwxrwx+  2 shared users 4096 Nov 14 09:48 STREAM
Which seems to be fine when it's DVDs as ISO files:
code:
admin@FileNAS:/volume1/Media/TV$ ll Clone\ High/
total 8810184
drwxrwxrwx+  4 shared users       4096 Jun  1  2017 .
drwxrwxrwx+ 41 admin  users       4096 Nov 15 07:59 ..
-rwxrwxrwx+  1 shared users 4510089216 Feb 29  2016 01x01x02x03x04x05.iso
-rwxrwxrwx+  1 shared users      18184 Apr 26  2017 01x01x02x03x04x05.nfo
-rwxrwxrwx+  1 shared users      23802 Apr 26  2017 01x01x02x03x04x05-thumb.jpg
I even added in the two extra sections in my advancedsettings.xml file, but it never scans these.
code:
 <tvshowmatching action="append">
     <regexp>[\\/\._ \[\(-]([0-9]+)e([0-9]+)([^\\/]*)(?:(?:[\\/]bdmv)?[\\/]index\.bdmv)$</regexp>
 </tvshowmatching>

<video>
    <excludetvshowsfromscan action="append">
      <regexp>[\\/](auxdata|backup|clipinf|playlist|stream|certificate)[\\/]</regexp>
      <regexp>movieobject\.bdmv</regexp>
    </excludetvshowsfromscan>
  </video>
They play fine if I browse to it in the Files section, but won't get added into my library. Does anyone see the flaw in what I'm doing?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

What did you use to rip the discs? (Unrelated)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

MakeMKV. I guess it's come a bit of a way from where it was the last time I tried it. Got all seven disk of Gravity Falls ripped no problem, and they play in Kodi no issue. Other than I don't know why they aren't being recognized by the scraper. (And Kodi can't handle this (particular?) bluray menu.)

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I've had an issue pop up with Kodi on a Shield, where the "Recently Added" movies section just.... Doesn't work. Still shows them all on the main Movies page, but trying to navigate to Recently Added from the categories on top just goes to the Videos section. I can create a new node that will still show the last 25 (or any number) of movies added, which has been my workaround currently.

This has been happening since 18.6 or so, currently on 18.9 with the stock skin.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Kodi seems like such a distant memory.

Keep having this issue with Plex where it doesn't update my recently played properly. Like we're working through a TV show but on deck gets stuck like a season or sometimes several behind so I keep having to find the episode we're actually on. Annoying

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

codo27 posted:

Kodi seems like such a distant memory.

Keep having this issue with Plex where it doesn't update my recently played properly. Like we're working through a TV show but on deck gets stuck like a season or sometimes several behind so I keep having to find the episode we're actually on. Annoying

This tends to happen on shows with really long credits, (e.g. Netflix rips) plex doesn’t think you finished watching the episode as you’re only 90% of the way through. Select the episode and press ‘mark as played’ and it should sort itself out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
So I'm out of the loop and it's been a while since I've thought about changing my HTPC setup. Looking for some help in modernizing my setup.

My general flow is a combination of SABnzbd, Sonarr/Radarr, and Plex to acquire and serve all my media. I do occasionally want to stream 4k 60hz content to my TV.

What's the simplest way to keep this setup between the different options? Is a Raspberry Pi 4 sufficient? Should I look into a Shield? Is it best to keep a PC as a download machine and transfer across the network?

e: to be clearer, my TV supports Roku out of the box, so I really just need an always-on server that can download and serve the files.

interrodactyl fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 3, 2020