Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Fix posted:

They're putting out Minecraft VR on PS4 this month.

sure but isnt mojang the "exception to the rule"? i could see it going either way. least i will have deathloop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

man nurse posted:

Man. So when PS5 launches I’m going to have Asscreed, Watch Dogs, Demon Souls, Spider-Man Remastered + Miles, and then soon after Yakuza 7, and upgrades of Control and Witcher 3. Then Hitman 3 at the start of the next year.

And my PS4 library coming along for the ride? What a loving launch period lineup. I’m so hyped.

It's real good.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

So we have: Minecraft, which was already out on PS4 and Wasteland 3 which had a croudfunded PS4 version.

Other than that, have MS published on PS4?

Cos they won't be publishing system sellers on PS5

Minecraft Dungeons is also on PS4 and was announced/released well after that Mojang deal.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah we'll see I guess. I just can't imagine them spending $7B+ to put the big games on PS5

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Yeah we'll see I guess. I just can't imagine them spending $7B+ to put the big games on PS5

same. i mean it could be "bethesda game are "free" on gamepass on Microsoft consoles/digital but if you want, pay 60/70 bucks for it on steam/ps5/etc." its technically not part of microsoft game studios and its sorta their own thing within Microsoft still. again. worst comes to worst. i'll by an pre owned one x a year from now.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

All the big thread posters, fans of Fallout 76 such as they are, are in the denial stage of grief.
It's a sad day for us PSFailures 😔

smdh

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

All the big thread posters, fans of Fallout 76 such as they are, are in the denial stage of grief.

smdh

preach :(

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

smdh

76 and stuff already in development/microtransactionalble will be multiplatform.

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1308062702905044993

https://twitter.com/GIBiz/status/1308035390377529345

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I personally don't give a poo poo about anything Bethesda makes anyway so it's not big loss for me. I played Doom 2 years after release and got Wolfenstein on sale for peanuts. Sony still has way better first party games.

I just wish this stopped happening so we could play games wherever we want.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

smdh

jokes aside it certainly has me worried about having to build a pc earlier rather than later. unfortunately, I'm not gonna get an equivalent PC for $500.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rad Valtar posted:

I played Doom 2 years after release

If you mean the actual Doom 2, Bethesda didn't make that
If you mean Doom Eternal, that only came out in March of 2020 :psyduck:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

If you mean the actual Doom 2, Bethesda didn't make that
If you mean Doom Eternal, that only came out in March of 2020 :psyduck:

I think it's

Played Doom two years after relase

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Oh yes... that makes more sense than either of the things I said :shobon:

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Rinkles posted:

I think it's

Played Doom two years after relase

Oh yeah whoops I guess that would be confusing. I played Doom 2016 two years after release.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

After a month of playing modded Bethesda games I could never go back to playing them on consoles anyways.

Wonder how much of the 7.5 billion the groups of fans that fixes all of their bugs will get paid :v:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

also at a certain point these figures turn abstract, but i thought zenimax would go for more.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Minecraft was $2.5B so we're not talking orders of magnitude difference here. In terms of individual franchises I'd say they paid at least as much for Minecraft as any individual title in this acquisition. Microsoft has never really published for PS5 but they've never had any real reason to. Now they own a shitload of popular franchises with longstanding ties to non-Microsoft platforms and studios with lots of experience developing for them. This is basically untrodden territory for them. In an already-unusual gaming generation, applying last-gen business thinking to predict where they'll go from here is risky. If there's one major thing that differentiates Microsoft today from Microsoft pre-2014, it's that they no longer stubbornly refuse to accept any outcome other than Microsoft Everything. That was Steve Ballmer's Microsoft. Take a look at how Microsoft's stance on cross-platform software development and tooling, platform support, open standards, etc. has changed since then. In the 2000s, the idea of Microsoft doing something that could bolster a perceived competitor's platform even a little bit was basically absurd. These days, they are much more likely to play ball if it suits them.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

veni veni veni posted:

After a month of playing modded Bethesda games I could never go back to playing them on consoles anyways.

Wonder how much of the 7.5 billion the groups of fans that fixes all of their bugs will get paid :v:

Yeah, my first thought was "does this mean they'll start QAing their games?"

ID's stuff has also been fine when it's released, but anything from Bethesda's development studios is always such a mess.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Volte posted:

Minecraft was $2.5B so we're not talking orders of magnitude difference here. In terms of individual franchises I'd say they paid at least as much for Minecraft as any individual title in this acquisition. Microsoft has never really published for PS5 but they've never had any real reason to. Now they own a shitload of popular franchises with longstanding ties to non-Microsoft platforms and studios with lots of experience developing for them. This is basically untrodden territory for them. In an already-unusual gaming generation, applying last-gen business thinking to predict where they'll go from here is risky. If there's one major thing that differentiates Microsoft today from Microsoft pre-2014, it's that they no longer stubbornly refuse to accept any outcome other than Microsoft Everything. That was Steve Ballmer's Microsoft. Take a look at how Microsoft's stance on cross-platform software development and tooling, platform support, open standards, etc. has changed since then. In the 2000s, the idea of Microsoft doing something that could bolster a perceived competitor's platform even a little bit was basically absurd. These days, they are much more likely to play ball if it suits them.

I really hope so cos I don't wanna buy a Series X !

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Volte posted:

i hope so. i feel like they will make some stuff have exclusive poo poo and obviously some exclusive games but i feel like they would make way more money by throwing it on everything. i mean skyrim is on everything for god sake.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i hope so. i feel like they will make some stuff have exclusive poo poo and obviously some exclusive games but i feel like they would make way more money by throwing it on everything. i mean skyrim is on everything for god sake.

Sony would make more money selling Spiderman on everything, but money is always as important as loving the competition...

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

exquisite tea posted:

Before the PS5 I never knew you could make a console tsundere.

PSP-1000 for sure

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
it suits me just fine because I'll play all this stuff on the PC via Game pass

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I think we're still in a war between Playstation and Xbox, it's just that Xbox is now an amorphous platform rather than a traditional console. I think MS could get people to consider Xbox/PC by publishing Xbox/PC exclusives that you can't get on Playstation, that's certainly worked for Sony. And I think there's value for MS in getting people off of hardware that Sony controls. MS won't sell Game Pass on Playstation because Sony will insist on a cut and have the leverage of being able to kick them off at any time. Sony won't help MS sell Game Pass because every dollar MS makes is a dollar that could be spent attacking the PS library by buying publishers. I expect MS to publish Playstation games only to the extent that it would create bad PR that tarnishes the brand if they didn't. Like if they said Deathloop is no longer on PS5 there would be some righteous outrage. So I guess my takeaway is that this is bad news if you liked any Bethesda published games and were planning on getting only a PS5.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

loving with deathloop would probably be a breach of contract

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i doubt the penalties written into that contract accounted for this scenario though

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Is there any reason I'd want a second dual sense? Most Sony multiplayer experiences are online, right? When I think of their games I don't really think local multiplayer.

My main current use for a second dualshock is having a fully charged one on the ready at all times.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

il serpente cosmico posted:

Yeah, my first thought was "does this mean they'll start QAing their games?"

no

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have a theory about all of this, and I might be totally nuts and MS just wants to go head to head with Sony via exclusives. But I think the implications of this buy are something other what they appear to be.

I think MS is more interested in expanding Game Pass into something much greater than it is now, than they are with selling Xbox hardware. I think they want to use the Bethesda buy as a way to to gate keep content, possibly on all platforms including playstation. The amount of power owning Zenimax gives them is pretty nuts. They could potentially use it to strike a deal with Sony to release ES6 or whatever on PS5, but only if Sony allows MS to put their Games subscription service on PS. And Sony could say no, but they'd lose customers. I think they want Bethesda as leverage. If MS owns enough AAA publishers, it basically forces Sony into Nintendo territory where the only thing they can bring to the table is 1st party exclusives and indie games.

There's also the less wild possibility of ES6, free with game pass sub, $70 on PS4, since afaik Bethesda retained their publishing rights in this deal.

I'm not saying I am 100% convinced of this stuff, but I do feel like it's possible. TLDR I think MS wants to act as a content gate keeper to strong arm their way into making money on all platforms.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i doubt the penalties written into that contract accounted for this scenario though

They could probably buy their way out of it, but why bother?

Microsoft has been on the road of "Publisher who also makes hardware" for the last few years, and this feels like another step in that process. They already put games out on PS4 and Switch, so it isn't a stretch to think they'll continue putting some of their games out on Sony's platforms.

The big three are on vastly different tracks. Microsoft is mainly interested in selling their games and their services, and they are caring less and less about the platform you use to do this. Sony is incredibly conventional - they want you to buy their platform , and they want you to buy games for it. Nintendo is like Sony but they've dipped out of the e-peen graphics race and their first-party titles are their primary focus.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Good post in the Bone thread:"

Stux posted:

they are not putting out a console like the series x that is loss leading so hard on its hardware cost, with a second hardware model as well, to not sell consoles. if they dont make the bigger titles like elder scrolls and fallout xbox console exclusive theyre the stupidest company on the planet. the xbox division graph is nowhere close to going up and right and buying a gigantic AAA company and then not using that to sell your new hardware will not help that. if just putting out games on other consoles was their plan to make money they wouldnt be making new hardware and all the xbox first party titles like halo and forza would be lining up playstation releases. even gamepass is specifically to push hardware sales by making a value argument for the xbox platform over playstation.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Unless they are realllllyy committed to like... killing playstation, I don't see why MS would ignore the larger platform for Zenimax subsidiary games. And they totally could be committed to trying to strike some kind of decisive blow.

This would definitely be amongst the biggest titles to suddenly be under threat of exclusivity that weren't already first party games.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i cant get inside the mind of somebody who makes a hardware decision to get a bethesda game i just cant

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Guess I can be glad that Horizon 2 will still come out for PS4 then. Because I'm jumping ship for sure next year.

ethanol posted:

i cant get inside the mind of somebody who makes a hardware decision to get a bethesda game i just cant

TES and Fallout are like the main reasons I even play games.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ethanol posted:

Arkane or Id though...

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Volte posted:

From what I've seen it's actually not too hard to quickswitch on a gamepad by using the wheel and flicking the stick. I'm poo poo at shooters with a gamepad but this video shows it's definitely possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDTIY9KD4qs

that uses the back button, but yeah i play like its a quakecon deathmatch on a standard ds4, i had to adjust the stick levels and controller options to something, i forget which now without booting it up but i enjoyed the hell out of playing doom with a controller, i was dreading it going in. doom 64 and the the upto date patched doom console ports also run really well with a controller now. been playing through UV+ on switch, the new mode and it owns.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

John F Bennett posted:

TES and Fallout are like the main reasons I even play games.

and yet you dont play them on the right platform the pc

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
DOOM eternal is like a FROM game and i all await your esco levels of reevaluation and ownage one day.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

John F Bennett posted:

Guess I can be glad that Horizon 2 will still come out for PS4 then. Because I'm jumping ship for sure next year.

What if Horizon 2 comes out for PS4/5. But soon after it's announced that it will get a PC port as well. Decisions. :mrwhite:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

if i had to make decisions based on TES or DOOM i would just get a pc so literally nothing changes