Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I do love how the plane incident proves Homelander is definitely dumber than Superman, because Superman could've lasered the engines off and just *carried* the plane to safety. That does pose another question - how much can Homelander bench?

(and yes, I'm aware the primary reason he let everyone die was because they knew he hosed up)

Excuse me, how would he lift it? There's no ground. (This is my favorite line to prove how stupid he is)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Democratic Pirate posted:

I wonder if Supe babies can be delivered like normal, or if Ryan was ready to force his way out in a month and the only thing that kept Becca alive was Vought an emergency C section by Vought medicine.

What if they dosed her with V to survive the birth?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Excuse me, how would he lift it? There's no ground. (This is my favorite line to prove how stupid he is)

Homelander is basically what happens when you give a Himbo super-powers.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Homelander killing the middle-eastern terrorist unapproved does add nuance to him - nobody made or was asking him to take the time to go and deal with that situation, he went off on his own. He genuinely wants to be the hero, not just play act one. For america.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I do love how the plane incident proves Homelander is definitely dumber than Superman, because Superman could've lasered the engines off and just *carried* the plane to safety. That does pose another question - how much can Homelander bench?

(and yes, I'm aware the primary reason he let everyone die was because they knew he hosed up)

Homelander absolutely could have done that but he chose not to. He blows off every suggestion Maeve makes with a flimsy bullshit answer. He wants everyone to die because then when he spins it as a reason to allow supes into the military it hits a lot harder than if it was a hijacking where everyone survived. And he certainly doesn't value their lives because they're like ants to him.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Elephant Ambush posted:

Homelander absolutely could have done that but he chose not to. He blows off every suggestion Maeve makes with a flimsy bullshit answer. He wants everyone to die because then when he spins it as a reason to allow supes into the military it hits a lot harder than if it was a hijacking where everyone survived. And he certainly doesn't value their lives because they're like ants to him.

No seriously, where could he lift the plane that it could handle that much stress / force?

He definitely could've saved some of them, but he wasn't wrong on that point.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I think this is the show trying to show us that it's "smarter" than normal superhero comics by dealing in "real physics": even if he can exert an arbitrary amount of force while flying, where indeed can he apply it on what's ultimately a giant, flimsy, bolted together aluminum tube safely?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

No seriously, where could he lift the plane that it could handle that much stress / force?

He definitely could've saved some of them, but he wasn't wrong on that point.

Don't airplanes have internal support? I get that the shell is flimsy, but there's got to be a pretty strong structural component. Probably under the wings where the landing gear would be a good spot.

Someone apparently did a deep dive on this question, but with superman.

They determined his best bet would be to lay against the underside of the plane and guide it down to a "safe" belly landing.

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 21, 2020

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Owlbear Camus posted:

I think this is the show trying to show us that it's "smarter" than normal superhero comics by dealing in "real physics": even if he can exert an arbitrary amount of force while flying, where indeed can he apply it on what's ultimately a giant, flimsy, bolted together aluminum tube safely?

Extra lol to "laser off the engines". Hmm yes let me cut some of the wings off. They are just a decorative part of the plane anyways.

spacetoaster posted:

Don't airplanes have internal support? I get that the shell is flimsy, but there's got to be a pretty strong structural component. Probably under the wings where the landing gear would be a good spot.

Which might be true if they were designed for being carried that way. Even with him pushing against one landing gear it would probably rip it out or snap it in half.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 21, 2020

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

glide it in to a water ditch landing and have The Deep show up with a school of porpoises to ferry them to shore.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Owlbear Camus posted:

glide it in to a water ditch landing and have The Deep show up with a school of porpoises to ferry them to shore.

This is where I think HL's argument falls apart, because they were literally over the ocean. You don't need it to land extremely gracefully, just maintain the tilt of the nose of the plane (or those flappy bits on wings, I'm not an airplane mechanic, but seeing as those descend to slow down, I suspect that IS something he could have done to alter approach angle) long enough for the plane to drift down towards the water. Hell they have rafts on ALL airplanes for water landings. Wouldn't even need to get the Deep involved if he didn't want to. I imagine there's a physics reason why this wouldn't fly (lol) but mostly I think he just didn't want to bother.

Could have popped the rafts and put everyone in those and carried them down too, but just totally uninterested in the people there.

cool kids inc. fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 21, 2020

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I have some experience with flight sims, and airplanes do not just magically plummet down to the ground the minute the engine stops working. Even without any power, airplanes can still glide for a surprisingly long amount of time. If he had wanted to, he could have absolutely guided the airplane down safely. As another goon pointed out, he had no interest in saving them, as he knew he could parlay their death into a power play. I'm surprised he didn't destroy the black box though, as it contains an audio recording of the cockpit. Then again, that's more of a nitpick than anything.

Edit: Seriously, you can absolutely land an airplane without engine power. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTenuYvaz8w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JamDKcYUSu8

VVVV Another issue I could see is that there was a hole in the airplane. I'm not qualified to answer that question but maybe one of the goons here have some piloting experience and can answer.

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 21, 2020

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A commercial plane can glide relatively safely down, but not on its own and he did kill the pilots.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Aphrodite posted:

A commercial plane can glide relatively safely down, but not on its own and he did kill the pilots.

Technically, he zapped the terrorist who had killed the pilots and in turn totally destroyed the controls, which could have been used by both him and Maeve to saaave the day! (Because he sucks!)

Antony Starr is just so delightfully hateable, and it's a good thing he's not a natural blonde, else he'd be accosted all over the place like that poor Joffrey kid. Nearly unrecognizable with his natural hair color.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

cool kids inc. posted:

Technically, he zapped the terrorist who had killed the pilots and in turn totally destroyed the controls, which could have been used by both him and Maeve to saaave the day! (Because he sucks!)

Antony Starr is just so delightfully hateable, and it's a good thing he's not a natural blonde, else he'd be accosted all over the place like that poor Joffrey kid. Nearly unrecognizable with his natural hair color.

The scene with the crowd shows that he is drat well capable of controlling just how far out the laser shoots. I just rewatched the scene in the airplane, and it does look like he destroyed the controls on purpose. It doesn't make sense for a bullet proof demigod to react the way he did. He could have just as easily laughed off the attack and punched his head off.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

OK I know I know plot holes but I really need to know how that video got out.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Why would he destroy the plane controls on purpose? It happened because he's reckless and doesn't give a gently caress. Same as in s2 when we are shown that he lasered the kid behind the supe terrorist.

MarcusSA posted:

I wonder if that scene is a bit of a misdirect with Stormfront using that as leverage / blackmail over Homelander instead of being sincere in trying to help him get out ahead of the footage.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

spacetoaster posted:

Someone apparently did a deep dive on this question, but with superman.

They determined his best bet would be to lay against the underside of the plane and guide it down to a "safe" belly landing.

I'm not an aerophysicist so I'm OK with being wrong here but the last sentence here is what I was thinking. The only thing destroyed were the cockpit controls. He's Homelander. He can do whatever he wants.

He just didn't want to.

And yeah lasering the controls was an accident. He's an idiot, but he immediately identified it as an opportunity to be a heartless piece of poo poo and to spin it into a win for himself and Vought (mostly himself).

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

As Nero Danced posted:

Look like one of the shot down theories from a couple days ago was right after all, footage from a cell phone on the botched plane rescue at 0:22

MarcusSA posted:

I wonder if Maeve reaching out to the Deep is related. She could have had him go down to the crashed plane and bring back everyone's phones to search them. It is a little incriminating to her, since she was there, but she also lacks any abilities that would have been useful to save them and she could explain that she begged Homelander to save them.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Watch the scene again. They discuss this. Where exactly could he apply enough force on the plane that could sustain the weight of being lifted?

Along the longerons. They're the strongest part of the plane and meet at the center of gravity.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Why would he destroy the plane controls on purpose?

Maybe I'm giving him too much credit. Either way, it's fun to theorize about inconsequential stuff like that while waiting for the next episode.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tip posted:

I wonder if Maeve reaching out to the Deep is related. She could have had him go down to the crashed plane and bring back everyone's phones to search them. It is a little incriminating to her, since she was there, but she also lacks any abilities that would have been useful to save them and she could explain that she begged Homelander to save them.

I'm triggered if that actually happens.

THATS NOT HOW ELECTRONICS WORK.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Along the longerons. They're the strongest part of the plane and meet at the center of gravity.

Lift the whole plane? From one point of contact? I'm just imagining it snapping in half like the Titanic.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

IMO he 100% could have helped glide the plane down like Sully did in that other movie.

He wouldn't need to lift it 100% just provide enough support to get it down in the water so people can get to the boats.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

If there's a problem that can't be solved by lasering it, it's someone else's responsibility.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
How come the lazy guy who doesn't give a poo poo about anyone didn't do the high effort thing to save a bunch of people?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Crespolini posted:

If there's a problem that can't be solved by lasering it, it's someone else's responsibility.

i mean technically he did save everyone from the terrorists. just not the plane.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

I'm triggered if that actually happens.

THATS NOT HOW ELECTRONICS WORK.
Actually, SD cards and CF cards can absolutely survive being under water.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny008djLPtY

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bioshuffle posted:

I just rewatched the scene in the airplane, and it does look like he destroyed the controls on purpose.

Bioshuffle posted:

Maybe I'm giving him too much credit. Either way, it's fun to theorize about inconsequential stuff like that while waiting for the next episode.

This whole saying something completely dumb and unfounded thing then going "just asking questions guys haha" is getting boring.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

MarcusSA posted:

People live stream stuff all the time, so it could have gotten out that way.

I know we said HL destroyed the electronics in the cockpit, but I'm not sure the WiFi control is an actual cockpit electronic (I think the steward controls turning it on/off in another part of the plane).

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Maybe someone was livestreaming or on a video call over the plane wifi? Or filming with one of those apps that uploads while it films?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Man, is it just me or is the world a better place when you assume everyone understands Black Noir is just trying to be Batman but it's incredibly lovely at it?

I can completely imagine the firemen in the last episode being all "Is that... Is that Black Noir? The gently caress is he doing on a roof?" "Dude, don't loving ask, that's the 5th time this week someone has caught him 'sneaking' around in broad daylight wearing all black. Just leave him be. You know how he gets."

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

The Deep seems to have really practical powers compared to most supes and if he wasn't such a dumbass rapist it would be fun to explore that. If he had a different personality it could be nice to see him run a nonprofit where he helps clean up the oceans and saves stranded people. I think it could be a nice contrast to the only good at punching that most supes are. Hell I could watch a whole new show about all those speedsters finding ways to make money using super speed and learning life lessons along the way.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Romes128 posted:

This whole saying something completely dumb and unfounded thing then going "just asking questions guys haha" is getting boring.
I'm sorry that you're upset, but it's a TV show and not a court of law?

For reference, here is the scene in question. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFvbK2LRgr8

It's completely feasible that Homelander made up his mind to kill the people on board and destroyed the controls. While Maeve is scrambling to save as many passengers as possible, he's already tapping his foot, ready to leave. I wouldn't consider it completely out of the realm of possibility.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

To be fair, a lot of problems can be solved by lasering.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

withak posted:

Maybe someone was livestreaming or on a video call over the plane wifi? Or filming with one of those apps that uploads while it films?

My guess: The Church of the Collective has been sitting on this for a while, waiting for an opportunity to use it to get one of *their* heroes onto the Seven.

Romes128 posted:

i mean technically he did save everyone from the terrorists. just not the plane from gravity.

FTFY

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Lift the whole plane? From one point of contact? I'm just imagining it snapping in half like the Titanic.

The longerons are designed to take the entire force of the fully-fueled and loaded airplane in the event of a landing after rotation where they can't/couldn't budget time to dump fuel. This isn't a 'plane on a treadmill' problem. He could've guided the plane to safety. He just didn't want a plane load of people telling stories about how Homelander almost got them all killed (and *did* kill a little boy in the comic).

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 21, 2020

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

some bad takes on the planes scene, come on. at least watch it. he clearly just lasered out of reflex and accidentally shot up the controls. he talks about how he can't lift the plane because he's so strong that the forces would snap it (maybe). and he basically dismisses saving anyone because any survivor would talk about their fuckup - not because he couldn't save a few of them. once the controls got messed up those people were dead because they'd report the story of perfect homelander making a mistake, and homerlander can't have that.

also

maeve talks about having a plan to take down stormfront, my guess is she's showing the video to her girlfriend and they're planning how to release it to gently caress him over. they'll use deep to help with that somehow.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

also these videos are amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52ZaSh81eI8

'patriotic services'

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Also, we should all keep in mind the show runners weren't looking to impress Neil Degrasse Tyson or anything, so it's not a legitimate knock against the show by any stretch.

It would be interesting to hear what he thought of the physics in the show, though.

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Comics spoilers, so handled way differently and in a different context HL does the same thing to the cockpit of the plane they're trying to save. HL tries to "push" the plane to be more level, and instead just cuts the back half of the plane off because he went in too fast and just tried to punch it straight. Also manages to kill another supe doing it, which is why A-Train is in the Seven.