Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Marxalot posted:

Yeah I was half joking on the index because those (official, branded) accessory costs are pretty dire. I'm sure Rebuff Reality or someone else will have a battery/headstrap for half the price within a month. But assuming forums username Chaosbreather (and past history) isn't right about the Reverb G2 then that thing could* legitimately be a good alternative for people looking to buy into the hobby who don't necessarily need/care about being mobile**

* I've mostly been avoiding reading about the reverb because it's not out yet and I can't really muster the :effort: for things that don't exist yet
** dear god I wish my headset was wireless holy poo poo

I'm just saying someone who doesn't care about being mobile would have no reason to worry about the cost of the battery strap in the first place. If you're tethered, the Quest is charged by the cable as you play and there's not even a place to plug the extended battery in. It's entirely superfluous for Link usage.

I do think the Reverb G2 looks really solid (though, yeah, WMR tracking and the actual quality of the previous Reverb are reasons to be a bit cautious). I just think it's kinda silly to add up the most expensive options for the Quest and then compare it to a PCVR headset, when at least some of those more expensive Quest options exist exclusively for mobile play and others have cheap third party alternatives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

GutBomb posted:

WMR Stuff

Yeah, I was *REALLY* trying to justify playing with that Samsung WMR but the consistent feedback I had was that the tracking was real bad and you have to fight with a lot of config issues, even if the HMD was pretty good. In a lot of ways I'd trade graphics fidelity for good motion tracking any day of the week.

I think the G2 will solve a lot of these issues based on early reviews but, yeah, it needs to be released first.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

so when does the g2 release? i cant find a real date, only "september 15" and we know that didnt happen

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
The amount of people who are like "Facebook is a terrible organization that props up right wing terrorism and profits off invasions of privacy." And then they see a toy they like being priced low and are like "Oh well maybe they're not so bad" is pathetic and very telling on how this poo poo is only going to get worse and worse because people can't help themselves or stand for anything.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Skyarb posted:

The amount of people who are like "Facebook is a terrible organization that props up right wing terrorism and profits off invasions of privacy." And then they see a toy they like being priced low and are like "Oh well maybe they're not so bad" is pathetic and very telling on how this poo poo is only going to get worse and worse because people can't help themselves or stand for anything.

Are you sure those are the same people? Because it mostly seems like 2 groups who are just not bothering to scream at each other over it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Tom Guycot posted:

All this talk and hype about wifi 6 and such has been confusing me. I thought the whole issue was bandwidth was never the issue, at least of the connection? Even wired link only used 150mb/s of bandwidth because it was bottlenecked with the 835's decoding speed. It already came nowhere neat saturating 5ghz wifi, let alone a USB 3 cable.

Is the decoding in the xr2 really going to be so much better that it would start needing the bandwidth of wifi 6?
Bandwidth isn't really the issue, but the newer revisions of WiFi have additional features that provide lower and more consistent latency, especially in environments with multiple active users on the network.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

RFC2324 posted:

Are you sure those are the same people? Because it mostly seems like 2 groups who are just not bothering to scream at each other over it.

I'm not necessarily talking about only posters in this thread (though it is here too)

(and maybe they deserve to be yelled at)

Skyarb fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 21, 2020

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Skyarb posted:

I'm not necessarily talking about only posters in this thread (though it is here too)

They may deserve to be yelled at, but that will just make the thread suck rear end and not actually do any good. All the points have been discussed, with a bit of yelling, and now its a state of armistice

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

wolrah posted:

Bandwidth isn't really the issue, but the newer revisions of WiFi have additional features that provide lower and more consistent latency, especially in environments with multiple active users on the network.

As a minimum the new channel will have much less congestion, that should help.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Skyarb posted:

There are other places and threads to talk about the politics of facebook. In VR threads and on VR discussion boards you're probably going to mostly hear people talk about VR.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Lockback posted:

There are other places and threads to talk about the politics of facebook. In VR threads and on VR discussion boards you're probably going to mostly hear people talk about VR.

I think acknowledging that even if this particular headset is good for vr, the precedent it sets is much much worse for vr is a very vr thing to talk about.

ZipOtter
Jul 22, 2007

I preordered a Reverb G2 from a German retailer who emailed me earlier this month saying the delay was caused by HP deciding to go with a different, "improved" lens design and that based on what HP told them they were expecting orders to ship by late October.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

ZipOtter posted:

I preordered a Reverb G2 from a German retailer who emailed me earlier this month saying the delay was caused by HP deciding to go with a different, "improved" lens design and that based on what HP told them they were expecting orders to ship by late October.

Uh a lens change this late ? Of course it's worth if it's better, but it's strange.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Will be curious how it reviews after release compared with the pre release stuff, with a potentially big change like that.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
We must stay ever vigilant against the forces of facebook lest their right wing PMCs rise up, each quest 2 sold funds an entire platoon with the massive piles of cash facebook earns selling your info to nigerian princes.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Skyarb posted:

I think acknowledging that even if this particular headset is good for vr, the precedent it sets is much much worse for vr is a very vr thing to talk about.

No one cares about your opinion on it hth.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Turin Turambar posted:

As a minimum the new channel will have much less congestion, that should help.
"WiFi 6" (802.11ax) doesn't add any new channels to the equation. It still runs over the same 5150-5835 MHz range (US) used by every other 5 GHz WiFi variant.

"WiFi 6E" will add support for the new 6 GHz spectrum but I don't think the rules have even been finalized for that yet, much less any production hardware supporting it.

What 802.11ax brings that will be good for congested spectrum though is OFDMA support. Now you don't need 20+ contiguous MHz of spectrum without any meaningful interference, the radio can split that up in to 2 MHz chunks and use what's available and/or share amongst active users. As long as all your clients support it, of course. Any time an older client is active it'll have to fall back to the old way.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This is probably the dumbest question, but how the heck does the watch work in TWD Saints and Sinners? I have played this game for like 6 hours and find it indecipherable.

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness
Facebook owns one of the largest VR platforms/devices, they're always going to be relevant to a VR discussion IMO

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

This is probably the dumbest question, but how the heck does the watch work in TWD Saints and Sinners? I have played this game for like 6 hours and find it indecipherable.
The top half circle is stamina. When you over-exert yourself it fills from the other end with red, which is fixed by eating food.
Bottom half is health. When you get poisoned (eating found food and blue poison zombies) it fills with red, fixed by taking apsrin or crafting and eating the herbal remedy with bandages filling the green bar again.

For the timer, it beeps once you're half way through the day, beeps again and zombies will start swarming in. When they overhauled the watch (the health/stamina UI used to only be visible as a HUD with the watch only having time info) it did get a bit more cluttered so it's harder to see the count down.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 21, 2020

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Skyarb posted:

And we did talk about it for like 20 pages dude!

Its time to let it go. Or go post in the D&D threads.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

SCheeseman posted:

The top half circle is stamina. When you over-exert yourself it fills from the other end with red, which is fixed by eating food.
Bottom half is health. When you get poisoned (eating found food and blue poison zombies) it fills with red, fixed by taking apsrin or crafting and eating the herbal remedy with bandages filling the green bar again.

For the timer, it beeps once you're half way through the day, beeps again and zombies will start swarming in. When they overhauled the watch (the health/stamina UI used to only be visible as a HUD with the watch only having time info) it did get a bit more cluttered so it's harder to see the count down.

Ah. yeah I've just been using the hud for stamina and health, but I get how those work. Idg why they wouldn't put a clearer indication of the time of day, which all I want from it.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I recommend turning off the HUD, gives a nice immersion boost. Gets you looking at your watch more too.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

wolrah posted:

"WiFi 6" (802.11ax) doesn't add any new channels to the equation. It still runs over the same 5150-5835 MHz range (US) used by every other 5 GHz WiFi variant.

"WiFi 6E" will add support for the new 6 GHz spectrum but I don't think the rules have even been finalized for that yet, much less any production hardware supporting it.

What 802.11ax brings that will be good for congested spectrum though is OFDMA support. Now you don't need 20+ contiguous MHz of spectrum without any meaningful interference, the radio can split that up in to 2 MHz chunks and use what's available and/or share amongst active users. As long as all your clients support it, of course. Any time an older client is active it'll have to fall back to the old way.

I confused 6 with 6E then.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

SCheeseman posted:

I recommend turning off the HUD, gives a nice immersion boost. Gets you looking at your watch more too.

I didn't even notice that you could. I will probably do that since it's just as convenient to look at the watch anyways.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Inacio posted:

so when does the g2 release? i cant find a real date, only "september 15" and we know that didnt happen

According to a German distributor the released was pushed back to mid October because they're "upgrading" the lenses, whatever that means. October is the only thing to go on at this point.

So it looks like the Quest 2 is in stock everywhere unlike the Quest 1. Seems like they made plenty of them to supply the demand, time to cancel that preorder.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

SCheeseman posted:

This design choice is exactly why Alyx worked so well. Checking your gloves to see ammo/etc was way better than a HUD.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Zaphod42 posted:

And we did talk about it for like 20 pages dude!

Its time to let it go. Or go post in the D&D threads.

Or maybe the chuds and apologists can make themselves a safe space where you're not allowed to say mean things about facebook

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Thoatse posted:

Or maybe the chuds and apologists can make themselves a safe space where you're not allowed to say mean things about facebook

what?

RFC2324 posted:

They may deserve to be yelled at, but that will just make the thread suck rear end and not actually do any good. All the points have been discussed, with a bit of yelling, and now its a state of armistice

"If you don't constantly complain about facebook literally every post of the VR thread you're an apologist" is a really, REALLY bad take.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 21, 2020

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Thoatse posted:

There's a difference between pointing out how awful Facebook is and blaming consumers for not operating ethically under capitalism, I think the first one is very good and the second one is counterproductive and pointless

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Thoatse posted:

I think everybody's united on Facebook being bad. Some folks just prefer talking the tech and the games in a thread for the tech and the games.

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

RFC2324 posted:

I forgot how good Moss is

Moss is very good. I feel like the second sword you get is a downgrade from the first, though. With the default sword you can dance around from enemy to enemy, but the unlock sword is just lunges and it's harder to avoid getting hit.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Nocheez posted:

This design choice is exactly why Alyx worked so well. Checking your gloves to see ammo/etc was way better than a HUD.

Been playing Forest with some buddies who are not in VR. I had to jump out of VR and play on my desktop for a minute and there was a confusing few minutes as I asked what button to check my watch to see my stats. I was completely blind to the fact that health/food/water was in the HUD, it seemed alien.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I think everybody's united on Facebook being bad. Some folks just prefer talking the tech and the games in a thread for the tech and the games.

Complaining about specifically how Facebook is bad - especially in their VR policies - would also be very relevant to this thread, and I'm sure we will continue to have those conversations on a regular basis.

But "why is no-one talking about Facebook being bad?!?" is just white noise posting.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lockback posted:

Been playing Forest with some buddies who are not in VR. I had to jump out of VR and play on my desktop for a minute and there was a confusing few minutes as I asked what button to check my watch to see my stats. I was completely blind to the fact that health/food/water was in the HUD, it seemed alien.

How is the VR port of the Forest anyways? It's a really cheesy game but the only "survival" game that actually sort of hooked me when I played on a screen. Actually had a lot of fun with it.

The main thing that bugged me is that all the horror felt undermined by the extremely dumb enemy AI though.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

NRVNQSR posted:

Complaining about specifically how Facebook is bad - especially in their VR policies - would also be very relevant to this thread, and I'm sure we will continue to have those conversations on a regular basis.

But "why is no-one talking about Facebook being bad?!?" is just white noise posting.

Oh, definitely, especially whenever they unveil something new. It'll be relevant then for a little while.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

lol

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013