Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You can set two separate axes for rudder in MSFS. You can set one pedal to rudder left and another to rudder right, but it's currently pretty touchy and will take your analog input and then randomly decide it's digital and flip between full rudder and your actual input.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Other than the 152, is there a plane that can do VOR navigation but doesn’t have a GPS? I want to practice navigating without GPS but I’m a little sick of the 152. Alternatively, I see that the G1000 has a VOR function on the monitor in front of the pilot with the artificial horizon - is it possible to turn off the other monitor that has the map?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Bold Robot posted:

Other than the 152, is there a plane that can do VOR navigation but doesn’t have a GPS? I want to practice navigating without GPS but I’m a little sick of the 152. Alternatively, I see that the G1000 has a VOR function on the monitor in front of the pilot with the artificial horizon - is it possible to turn off the other monitor that has the map?

I don't know, but I think the non G1000 172 with the super mega deluxe edition can do it. Also, you can turn off that screen by turning the avionics switch off. If a plane has two avionics switches, turning off the second one will probably turn off the MFD. or you can turn it off and turn it back on and just never hit the button to turn the MFD back on.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

uXs posted:

There's a lot more options for sticks, and not all civilian planes use yokes.

G27 for rudder works, HOWEVER it doesn't connect directly to your computer, you need to go through the wheel. Which means the wheel also needs to be connected.

Also, you need to do some remapping because basically all sims expect 1 axis for rudder, and steering wheel pedals show up as 2.

Also the pedals don't all have the same spring pressure

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Bold Robot posted:

I took a look through all the dashboards yesterday and the 152 looks like the only one you can most easily VOR navigate with if you want to find a fix defined by two radials since it has 2 CDIs.

I haven't figured out a sane way to do this in the glass cockpits or the single CDI planes since it's a little harder to set OBS to quickly switch back and forth to confirm a fix. The G3000 has independent NAV course knobs but it doesn't do anything if the specific source isn't the main source in the PFD which seems like a MSFS failure.

If you just want to follow beams everything but the obviously VFR only planes has a CDI in the glass cockpit or fed by a Garmin. I think most of the mini Garmins feeding a single CDI are only in the more money than sense version of the game. If you want to fly a glass cockpit but not cheat you can pan the map somewhere else.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The 172 in the whale edition has steam gauges, yeah. It does have a small MFD with a GPS mode in it, but you can just toggle that to something else. If the 172 is too similar, the DA40 TDI has the same setup with steam gauges and an MFD.

edit: Oh right, the DR400 is in the base game I think and has no GPS unit.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 21, 2020

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

Oh it actually does that? I haven't flown the thing, because 787 > 747 just on principle (gently caress nostalgia). A while back I was tailing an AFK friend of mine in-game for giggles and his 747 was doing that. I thought the game's multiplayer code was interpolating badly while he was downloading a torrent or some such.

Oh it sure does, and the longer you let it oscillate the more intense it gets, e.g. maybe +-100fpm each direction initially, suddenly you're on a roller coaster of +- 3000fpm. Give it a shot sometime. Basically just take off, set an altitude and enjoy the ride

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So is this game not going to get hotfixes or anything? Only major patches? It's pretty bad that the avionics god hosed sideways with the last patch and they haven't addressed it already.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

sigher posted:

So is this game not going to get hotfixes or anything? Only major patches? It's pretty bad that the avionics god hosed sideways with the last patch and they haven't addressed it already.

Yeah, Microsoft doesn't seem too keen on hotfixes. We saw that when they refused to do anything about the huge number of people having difficulty installing the game at launch. They decided to wait a couple weeks before doing anything about that.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

SixPabst posted:

Oh it sure does, and the longer you let it oscillate the more intense it gets, e.g. maybe +-100fpm each direction initially, suddenly you're on a roller coaster of +- 3000fpm. Give it a shot sometime. Basically just take off, set an altitude and enjoy the ride

Can this be an issue with the simulation rate? I only get these weird oscillations when I've increased the simulation rate, as if the autopilot can't keep up with it or something.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

zedprime posted:

I took a look through all the dashboards yesterday and the 152 looks like the only one you can most easily VOR navigate with if you want to find a fix defined by two radials since it has 2 CDIs.

I haven't figured out a sane way to do this in the glass cockpits or the single CDI planes since it's a little harder to set OBS to quickly switch back and forth to confirm a fix. The G3000 has independent NAV course knobs but it doesn't do anything if the specific source isn't the main source in the PFD which seems like a MSFS failure.

If you just want to follow beams everything but the obviously VFR only planes has a CDI in the glass cockpit or fed by a Garmin. I think most of the mini Garmins feeding a single CDI are only in the more money than sense version of the game. If you want to fly a glass cockpit but not cheat you can pan the map somewhere else.

I could have sworn the Garmins let you place multiple bearing indicators on the same CDI. I know for a fact that I've been navigating on a GPS course while tuned into both a VOR and an ILS localizer, all displaying different directions on the CDI. I'll try to set it up later and take screenshots, but some of the more knowledgeable pilots might beat me to it.

edit: This tutorial vid shows multiple tuned bearings on a G1000 CDI at timestamp 17:10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc1fZnr7i_M&t=1030s

plester1 fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 21, 2020

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

zedprime posted:

You can set a course for each CDI in the SR22 (G1000) at least. It's not easy to swap between them quickly cause if you're using AP you have to switch to heading mode. If you mean have one on each monitor in the multi-PFD planes, it cannot, because it's only simulating one PFD.

Edit: with the above, it's showing you a pointer to the VOR, but not on a particular radial. It's pointing to the closest straight line one I believe.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 21, 2020

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
There are two bearing indicators that also indicate GPS distance although that is not quite the same thing as a cdi. Technically it's more like an RMI.

They tell you what direction another thing is (NAV1 navaid, NAV2 navaid, NDB) but they aren't useful for getting established on a vor radial

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Charles posted:

You can set a course for each CDI in the SR22 (G1000) at least. It's not easy to swap between them quickly cause if you're using AP you have to switch to heading mode. If you mean have one on each monitor in the multi-PFD planes, it cannot, because it's only simulating one PFD.

Edit: with the above, it's showing you a pointer to the VOR, but not on a particular radial. It's pointing to the closest straight line one I believe.
I guess I need to play more with swapping them and if the course sticks. The last time I was trying I got frustrated pretty quick and just turned nav source to GPS.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

zedprime posted:

I guess I need to play more with swapping them and if the course sticks. The last time I was trying I got frustrated pretty quick and just turned nav source to GPS.

It's what I was doing in Alaska when I realized the frequency the game gave me was only a DME, not a VOR. I wasn't navigating by waiting for them to line up though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Does the savage cub not have an alternator? I was doing a flight around the grand canyon in a storm and noticed I was low on fuel. I found a small airport on the map and touched down, which was tricky with all the wind. After I touched down and was starting to taxi towards the parking, I lost power and the radios died, but the engine was still running and I was able to taxi over to the parking area and turn everything off.

You probably just didn't turn on the alternator, or accidentally clicked it off at some point in the flight. The avionics will run for maybe half an hour on the battery alone, less if you have more lights on and make more radio transmissions, more if you preemptively turn stuff off. (In real life anyway, dunno how it's modeled in the sim).

The engine will continue to run with a dead battery because its electrical system is independent and self-contained. With a dead battery you wouldn't be able to run the starter motor, but as long as the engine is turning, the magnetos will keep producing sparks.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Did you happen to use Alt-B to turn on the battery by any chance? I noticed that on the Icon, which doesn't actually have an avionics switch, it doesn't turn on the avionics. I wonder if there's a similar behavior. Other than that I think I had something like that happen during the beta?

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yeah, Microsoft doesn't seem too keen on hotfixes. We saw that when they refused to do anything about the huge number of people having difficulty installing the game at launch. They decided to wait a couple weeks before doing anything about that.

It's in the backlog for the next sprint

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

You probably just didn't turn on the alternator, or accidentally clicked it off at some point in the flight. The avionics will run for maybe half an hour on the battery alone, less if you have more lights on and make more radio transmissions, more if you preemptively turn stuff off. (In real life anyway, dunno how it's modeled in the sim).

The engine will continue to run with a dead battery because its electrical system is independent and self-contained. With a dead battery you wouldn't be able to run the starter motor, but as long as the engine is turning, the magnetos will keep producing sparks.

I took a look around the cockpit just now and there's no alternator switch as far as I can tell. There's an avionics switch, a switch for landing and strobe lights, switches for left and right ignition, and then the key switch. It's possible that I hit the key switch somehow. I'll have to try again and see what's up. I only ask because I was watching a video of a guy who bought a Pitts biplane like the one in the game and he said it doesn't have an alternator and he has to charge the battery whenever he lands for fuel. So when I lost power, I was wondering if it was a similar situation for the Cub. I am pretty sure I accidentally left the landing light on and that might have drained the battery more than usual. I checked the Cub Crafter and it has an alternator switch, but I didn't find one in the yellow Cub.

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012

Lord Stimperor posted:

GOON SQUAD MISSION 1: VOICE OF FREEDOM
:911:

California desert, USA
April 4th, 1985

Agent Grover,

Your help is direly needed. The A-Team has requested your services as a former combat pilot to rescue a journalist from the clutches of the prison industrial complex. They want to silence her and we can't allow that to happen. The A-team has managed to bring her to a safe location in the desert, but they will not be able to leave with her for reasons that they will not share. They won't pay much, but they hope you haven't yet lost all your idealism and will pitch in for the Greater Good.

Your mission is to find the safe house, using the navigation instructions that Mr. Murdock of the A-Team provided. Land there and pick up the journalist, and bring her safely to nearby Big Bear City.

Thanks for putting that together, that was an interesting flight. Took me a while to figure out the VOR intercept, but once I did then navigating to the safe house was clear enough. Sign me up for the sequel :pilot:
Would recommended others give it a go.
Here's my quick trip report:

"You can come out. I'm with the team"

That climb up to Big Bear City was something. I may have clipped a few trees on the way up. Who puts an airport all the way up here?

One journalist safely delivered.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Are there airports that wouldn't be on Skyvector?
https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=28b293c7-f9a8-41d0-8bcd-0711def38d6d&cp=56.218295~-131.487683&lvl=16&style=h&v=2&sV=2&form=S00027
FS calls this PAKE, Ketchikan Airport. There are construction and power lines there, and something that might be a strip, but nothing on Skyvector.
Seems to be a fabrication, like the Buttonwillow Airport KBUO I found before. If these were private strips, I doubt they'd have an ICAO code.
Also it's fascinating how widespread human influence is everywhere.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Cojawfee posted:

I took a look around the cockpit just now and there's no alternator switch as far as I can tell. There's an avionics switch, a switch for landing and strobe lights, switches for left and right ignition, and then the key switch. It's possible that I hit the key switch somehow. I'll have to try again and see what's up. I only ask because I was watching a video of a guy who bought a Pitts biplane like the one in the game and he said it doesn't have an alternator and he has to charge the battery whenever he lands for fuel. So when I lost power, I was wondering if it was a similar situation for the Cub. I am pretty sure I accidentally left the landing light on and that might have drained the battery more than usual. I checked the Cub Crafter and it has an alternator switch, but I didn't find one in the yellow Cub.

Are you starting from a cold and dark cockpit or already on the runway? Did you use Alt-B to turn on the battery by chance?

edit: somehow my glass cockpit refresh rate has gotten stuck at low or something. Argh

edit yet again
Does an SR22 really have weather radar that scans out to 200nm?

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Sep 22, 2020

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

I've watched videos on YouTube from someone that flies an SR22 and he's shown shots of the screen with weather radar data on it.

edit: Not that I think that necessarily means it's all on-board in the real thing, I assume there's systems that transmit weather data by radio that avionics could receive?

Merv Burger fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 22, 2020

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Merv Burger posted:

I've watched videos on YouTube from someone that flies an SR22 and he's shown shots of the screen with weather radar data on it.

edit: Not that I think that necessarily means it's all on-board in the real thing, I assume there's systems that transmit weather data by radio that avionics could receive?

I think all of that is done via satellite for an SR-22. The data is put together and sent to some service that pieces it together, then the satellite, then the plane. I watched a video (maybe of the same guy) and he looked at weather versus the radar and given the wind direction and speed, he estimated there was about a 15 minute delay between the actual weather and his readout.

Then again that guy could be wrong. I assume this is different for the TBM, which has (what I think, at least) is a radar pod on it's left wing.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It was making a scanning animation so I figured it was supposed to be in the plane vs Nexrad.

Love it when my PFD freezes up (notice the disparity to the backup instrument)

In my experience I have to totally exit the game for it to start working again.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Merv Burger posted:

Niko's Wings?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I think all of that is done via satellite for an SR-22. The data is put together and sent to some service that pieces it together, then the satellite, then the plane. I watched a video (maybe of the same guy) and he looked at weather versus the radar and given the wind direction and speed, he estimated there was about a 15 minute delay between the actual weather and his readout.

Then again that guy could be wrong. I assume this is different for the TBM, which has (what I think, at least) is a radar pod on it's left wing.

I believe this is correct. You can definitely get satellite weather receivers (they use the Sirius radio satellites, oddly) to get weather imagery on the cheap, but it's comparable in resolution and time lag to what you'd see on the aviation weather website. Larger airplanes have a real onboard radar (yes, that is what's in the TBM's pod) that gives you immediate, accurate imagery of what's ahead, but obviously at a much higher cost.

It wouldn't be impossible to mount a radar onto an SR22 but I can't recall ever seeing one set up that way and my home airport is an Official Cirrus Training Base.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 22, 2020

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Cojawfee posted:

Does the savage cub not have an alternator? I was doing a flight around the grand canyon in a storm and noticed I was low on fuel. I found a small airport on the map and touched down, which was tricky with all the wind. After I touched down and was starting to taxi towards the parking, I lost power and the radios died, but the engine was still running and I was able to taxi over to the parking area and turn everything off.

That is probably a glitch. The alternator is what charges the engine's battery. You could have experienced an alternator failure and your battery died....but did you have random failures on?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

poo poo just randomly turning off has been an issue this patch. So that may be what happened there.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

My Avionics have been turning on and off randomly with this patch and my Transponder just doesn't work in the C172. It's definitely the patch.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

sigher posted:

There are aircraft with the wrong number of fuel tanks, yet less anything else more complex. They aren’t trying and don’t care.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

How do you gently caress up the fuel tanks? :psyduck:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

sellouts posted:

There are aircraft with the wrong number of fuel tanks, yet less anything else more complex. They aren’t trying and don’t care.

This is unfair to Asobo. The bugs are incredibly frustrating but a lot of the planes have clearly been lovingly crafted with a great deal of care and effort. It seems obvious to me that Microsoft rushed this out the door and it was never supposed to be released this soon.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

sellouts posted:

I’m watching every god drat news source I can find for the first either Zibo/a320 mod esque improvement for the citations or payware bizjet, and you’ll be the first to know.

If you want to start the Mad About The Longitude Fanclub, I call Vice President. :(

razak
Apr 13, 2016

Ready for graphing

sigher posted:

How do you gently caress up the fuel tanks? :psyduck:

You got the Longitude that is missing most of its tanks... Then you have fun stuff like the 747 that has three tanks that you can put fuel in, but it will never use it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

This is unfair to Asobo. The bugs are incredibly frustrating but a lot of the planes have clearly been lovingly crafted with a great deal of care and effort. It seems obvious to me that Microsoft rushed this out the door and it was never supposed to be released this soon.

Yeah I would point out that the game has been out for one month as of this weekend. Before that it had a two-week beta period, and before that the alpha was very obviously incomplete. France also is on vacation for the month of August. They've only really been seriously working on patching the release version for two weeks or so.

The game has a lot of bugs, but they're all solvable things and the company is demonstrably working on them. The last patch, despite causing new problems of its own (welcome to flight sims lol) actually did have a shitload of changes and improvements. Honestly I'm just happy that we finally have a civilian sim with modern graphics, terrain and weather that actually runs okay on current hardware. Fixes to buggy airplanes and nav databases can easily come in time, and modders will always sperg about that to a higher level than the original developers do. Modders can hack in fixes to the A320's FMS and are happy to do so. They cannot hack in an Azure-driven global VFR terrain engine.

Like, yes, I would love for the game to work perfectly right now, but given the choice between a gorgeous modern engine with lots of potential and a lot of technical bugs, or an ugly, old-fashioned engine that runs like poo poo but comes with half a dozen extremely detailed airliners -- which is the status quo of X-Plane and FSX and Prepar3D -- I know which one I'm picking.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

sigher posted:

My Avionics have been turning on and off randomly with this patch and my Transponder just doesn't work in the C172. It's definitely the patch.

To make this even more "WTF?", the avionics bug appears to be tied to something with AI and/or multiplayer/online traffic being shown, since it seems to go away (or become way less frequent) if those are turned off.

The best guess/explanation I've seen for what's actually causing the bugs is that the sim is somehow bleeding information from a shared cockpit function or the avionics state from people online (or AI airplanes) into whatever the player is currently flying.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

UnknownTarget posted:

That is probably a glitch. The alternator is what charges the engine's battery. You could have experienced an alternator failure and your battery died....but did you have random failures on?

I don't think that's one of the things that can fail. According to the failures window, you can have a complete failure, oil leak, oil pressure loss, or fire, and maybe something else. I think it was just a bug because I did a long flight in it later and didn't have any issues. It could also be that I had the game paused for almost an hour during class. I stream the game to zoom while waiting for the professor to show up and I was having fun with that flight and decided to pause it instead of just crashing into the ground and exiting.

In regards to the quality of the sim, I think it's really great aside from some bugs. What I'm most impressed with is that the entire globe is available and you can slew up into space and the sky gets dark and you can see stars and the sun and the moon. I saw when someone was modding the config files to the extreme that there are options for rockets, so I can't wait for someone to add actual rockets to the sim and see if it's possible to get into orbit. The visuals of this game are very impressive.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

The potential (if a bit bonkers cause of this) is that for whatever reason, the plane you're flying has the init values of a traffic plane shoved into it whenever traffic spawns. This is why PFDs keep shutting off and stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

I saw when someone was modding the config files to the extreme that there are options for rockets, so I can't wait for someone to add actual rockets to the sim and see if it's possible to get into orbit. The visuals of this game are very impressive.

X-15 DLC when

(yes I know X-Plane has one. I want a better one)