Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Double post

One of the handiest medical supplies I've found is self-adhesive wound wrap. It's stretchy, breathable, and doesn't grab hair with painful adhesives but still stays firmly in place. It's best for greyhounds' stick legs and feet, and usually Sparty will get mostly used to it and tolerate it, at least long enough that it's about time to replace the dressing anyway. I successfully bound a foot pad laceration he got somehow and even though he was a drama queen about it he actually got around fine once he forgot he was crippled for life by it.

I just put a pad of gauze with some neosporin on the wound, then wrap a few times and tuck the end in behind the rest of it. Sometimes it's good to put a finger under it so that you don't wrap it too tight- since it's stretchy it'll still provide good pressure on the dressing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

DarkHorse posted:

Double post

One of the handiest medical supplies I've found is self-adhesive wound wrap. It's stretchy, breathable, and doesn't grab hair with painful adhesives but still stays firmly in place. It's best for greyhounds' stick legs and feet, and usually Sparty will get mostly used to it and tolerate it, at least long enough that it's about time to replace the dressing anyway. I successfully bound a foot pad laceration he got somehow and even though he was a drama queen about it he actually got around fine once he forgot he was crippled for life by it.

I just put a pad of gauze with some neosporin on the wound, then wrap a few times and tuck the end in behind the rest of it. Sometimes it's good to put a finger under it so that you don't wrap it too tight- since it's stretchy it'll still provide good pressure on the dressing

My partner wrapped Rush's paw with that gauze for the first time and wrapped it too tight leading the foot to look like something out of a cartoon. That was a while ago, and thankfully there hasn't been any issue with the foot as a result of either the cut which precipitated the wrap or the wrap job itself. I don't think I've ever been more mad at my partner for something.

Always check your bandage wraps for fit.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Sep 5, 2022

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
She’s growing too fast.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
My boy looking very handsome

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

NomNomNom posted:

My boy looking very handsome

Agreed!

I thought his ear was a little top hat at first! :tipshat:

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

So one of our hounds has been not eating for a few days and having the runs, he went to the emergency vet today and got a bunch of meds including antibiotics and an appetite stimulant. We managed to get him to eat some chicken tonight but he's ten and we're worried that he might be near the end. We put down our first hound last year and if we gotta do 2 in as many years I'm going to be really sad. The one last year was really hard because she had bone cancer and was perfectly lucid up until the end, but this guy seems to be more out of it so maybe it won't hurt so much :/

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

sorry to hear :smith:

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
And.... Our dumbass just threw up 3/4 of a tennis ball. Nearest I can figure he ate it 2 weeks ago at the dog park. Could it have sat in his stomach that long?

Edit: more vom and tennis ball in the crate this morning. :doh:

NomNomNom fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Sep 15, 2020

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Double posting so y'all can see my guy in an infinity scarf.

Homeslice here was allowed in the basement living room last night (not for the first time, just been a while) and promptly peed on the carpet. It's been a challenging few days.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

NomNomNom posted:

Double posting so y'all can see my guy in an infinity scarf.

Homeslice here was allowed in the basement living room last night (not for the first time, just been a while) and promptly peed on the carpet. It's been a challenging few days.

Lol greyhounds

I know fall is approaching because the nights are cool and the Spartacuses are sneaking into our bed to cuddle, much like spring and the swallows returning to Capistrano

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Chased up the local greyhound trust on adoption but they were insistent on people having walled off yards/gardens because apparently none of the dogs they have will go the toilet on leash? Wasn't going to argue with them or anything, but this struck me as an unusual (given how often greyhounds are recommended for flats/apartments)?

Should I just look at other adoption places, or does that seem like it'd be a serious issue for ex-racers as a whole?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

It’s not unusual for dogs who haven’t been treated well (ex-racers fit this category tragically often) that they don’t like eliminating in front of humans. But it’s not particularly hard to train out of them, you just walk them till they pee or poop and make an idiot out yourself praising them and giving many pets once they’re done

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

VagueRant posted:

Chased up the local greyhound trust on adoption but they were insistent on people having walled off yards/gardens because apparently none of the dogs they have will go the toilet on leash? Wasn't going to argue with them or anything, but this struck me as an unusual (given how often greyhounds are recommended for flats/apartments)?

Should I just look at other adoption places, or does that seem like it'd be a serious issue for ex-racers as a whole?

That is crazy talk. Look for other adoption places. A fenced area is nice for letting them pee without having to put your shoes on, but they are fine with just walking around the block peeing as they go.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

A long lead (long being 10m / 30ft) is a really good training resource for a dog that’s never been a pet. In this instance, it lets them get a bit of distance away so they feel more comfortable pooping. When we first got Bonnie, she literally didn’t understand how to walk on a lead and the longer one let us get a few metres away and she figured out that she was supposed to follow us around.

Should go without saying but holy poo poo use a harness and never a collar if you’re mixing sighthound with long lead

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Yeah mine apparently enjoys pooping on a leashed walk so much that she will make a point of going, even if she'd just done it in the yard shortly before. Also has a preternatural instinct for knowing when I've just used up my last bag and will lay down another one a block later. :arghfist:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

jesus WEP posted:

When we first got Bonnie, she literally didn’t understand how to walk on a lead and the longer one let us get a few metres away and she figured out that she was supposed to follow us around.

How is that possible, aren’t they walked to the starting gates on a lead?

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Maybe they just follow their handlers, and haven't figured out they need to walk behind other people?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

david_a posted:

How is that possible, aren’t they walked to the starting gates on a lead?
Bonnie wasn’t a racer she was used exclusively for breeding

:ssh: she wasn’t even a greyhound

jesus WEP fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 17, 2020

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, just wondering - have any of you had hounds that like chewing footwear, specifically? Opal has been brilliant in other regards, but well, whenever we're not around, she's taken to chewing up whatever shoes are on-hand. (And she'll only do it when nobody is around. Never while being observed, so I can't catch her in the act)
I bought her a chew toy, which initially seemed like a success*, however it seems like she's gotten bored of it now.

Otherwise, she's going great! :v: Opal's getting along with Taz (especially now that he's 100% used to/happy to share with her) in terms of bed-/couch-space and eating alongside one another, which I'm quite surprised and happy about! I figured that would take a bit of time, but they're perfectly content to munch in silence alongside one another.
She's also very vocal, which is rubbing off on Taz. He used to let out a moan of pleasure now and again, but seeing as Opal's out-doing him, he feels like he needs to lift his game. They're basically reenacting THIS scene from The Simpsons; trying to out-relax one another all the time.

Here's a photo-dump, to make up for me not posting during the last week or so, due to many many hours of work.

Can I note though, that Opal is a very elegant dog? :D

Her hobbies (aside from eating shoes :argh:) consist of resting her head on the arm of the couch and sitting at every opportunity. Seriously. On the couch, on her bed, waiting for food, whenever. Just sits. Doesn't know how to sit on command, but it doesn't matter - if she's in a situation where I may or may not want her to sit for me, there's a solid chance she's beaten me to the punch. Even Taz is a little weirded-out by it, as per the second photo! :v:

She also likes sitting on this particular couch/seat, even though it should theoretically be the least appealing one, due to its size.

* Aside from the fact that once Opal started playing with her toy, half the time Taz thinks 'oh hang on, I want it now' and takes it off her to play with instead...despite the fact that previously, he hasn't cared about toys other than plushies that squeak.

EDIT: Also, I discovered that Opal is ticklish between her toes. :3: *cough* ahem and no I haven't been annoying her by tickling her, why do you ask? :D

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Sep 18, 2020

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Opal seems like such a big sweetheart! And yes she is very very elegant. It’s cute how she is affecting Taz to be a little more playful!

I have no advice about the shoes, other than that maybe she likes them so much because they smell like her people.

Thank you for the update and lovely photos!

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Major Isoor posted:

* Aside from the fact that once Opal started playing with her toy, half the time Taz thinks 'oh hang on, I want it now' and takes it off her to play with instead...despite the fact that previously, he hasn't cared about toys other than plushies that squeak.

Sounds like a good reason to get more toys. Opal is amazing and I'm really glad she's settling in so well with Tazo.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Radiation Cow posted:

Sounds like a good reason to get more toys. Opal is amazing and I'm really glad she's settling in so well with Tazo.

She is so gorgeous and I love her and Tazo so much, they look like such a perfect pair already

I haven't had problems with shoe chewing but cookie loved to steal slippers and socks, which I've heard is associated with wanting to tear up small prey and can be substituted with plush stuffed toys. That's what we retrained cookie on and it worked, so I'd say get a few of different sizes, textures, and "stuffed-ness" and let her try them all out.

Sparty only likes big and very soft ones, and really likes the ones that crinkle and have a quack

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Our dog steals but only when we aren't in the house. He's chewed on about half of the ones he's stolen. Sometimes he just puts them in the bedroom and leaves them alone.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

greyhounds... sitting?

Abby only knows the sphinx

opal good dog

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
This dog has seen some poo poo.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I've seen way more poo poo since getting Abby

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

bamhand posted:

This dog has seen some poo poo.

I wanna pat the booty

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

skoolmunkee posted:

I wanna pat the booty

:emptyquote:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

EXCUSE ME it's time to go out thx

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

skoolmunkee posted:

Opal seems like such a big sweetheart! And yes she is very very elegant. It’s cute how she is affecting Taz to be a little more playful!

I have no advice about the shoes, other than that maybe she likes them so much because they smell like her people.

Thank you for the update and lovely photos!

Radiation Cow posted:

Yep, you two were right! I got some more toys, and she (and Taz) seem to be having some more in-house entertainment, which doesn't involve the destruction of our footwear.
Tazo HAS become quite attached to the one squeaky toy I got for Opal though - a little meerkat. He's a bit protective of it around her, but not massively so. He'll growl a little bit if she sticks her nose into his face to see how he's going, while he's playing with it, but that's about it. He's all talk, if he even bothers responding at all. Personally, I can't wait for the squeaker to die, so that he'll go back to being flexible with what he and Opal play with, without making a fuss!

Speaking of Taz and the meerkat though...earlier tonight Opal tried squeezing onto the couch... by hopping up and sitting on Tazo's face AND the meerkat (while he was playing with it a little) simultaneously. Needless to say, he wasn't impressed! A short, loud bark later and Opal was off him in a flash, banished by Taz to the single-seater! I'm not sure how she thought she could fit in, haha - I couldn't really blame Tazo for it! :D She was pretty sheepish about it as you can see, haha

It was all forgotten about 30sec later though, by all pups involved. I still felt kinda bad for Taz though haha - THIS time it wasn't him being precious over a toy, after all!

actionjackson posted:

It's always good to know what you want in life!

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

actionjackson posted:

Strangely slightly sinister

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

She often makes some noise and when I turn around I know I'll be faced with :colbert:

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

actionjackson posted:

She often makes some noise and when I turn around I know I'll be faced with :colbert:

Huffy doggie

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Do they all shovel food into their mouths and just let half of it fall on the floor to eat later or is mine just a pig.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Veskit posted:

Do they all shovel food into their mouths and just let half of it fall on the floor to eat later or is mine just a pig.

Abby puts food in her mouth, carries it over to that rug, and just chews it while half of it falls onto the floor. then she licks it up off the rug

lol

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Yeah Gannon takes a mouthful and steps back to chew and swallow it. If he's still hungry at the end he may eat what he dropped once he's done. Alternatively he'll just try and swallow a big mouthful at once and then cough it out on the rug and eat it. I have to keep a big mat in front of his feeder.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Sparky actually eats fairly cleanly

He's just never not wanting to eat, and is very vocal about it

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Lagomorphic posted:

he'll just try and swallow a big mouthful at once and then cough it out on the rug and eat it. I have to keep a big mat in front of his feeder.

Josie

I had to get her one of those bowls with partitions to make it so she eat slow

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

skoolmunkee posted:

Josie

I had to get her one of those bowls with partitions to make it so she eat slow

I got one of those maze bowls for Abby years ago and she is barely affected. I don't know how she does it but she still eats fast as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

actionjackson posted:

I got one of those maze bowls for Abby years ago and she is barely affected. I don't know how she does it but she still eats fast as gently caress.

Their snoots are too narrow, so they just bypass the maze completely. We tried the same for Boudicca because she'd eat so fast she'd choke. We found that adding a bit of water to her food made more of a difference.

Suprisingly, both Gello and Boudicca are very clean eaters, no mess at all. However, they both struggle with hard bisuit treats, those tend to go everywhere.