Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I was wondering what had happened, thought there might have been another lock down or something. Can't wait to watch it at home, which is currently under a second lock down...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

PowerBeard posted:

I was wondering what had happened, thought there might have been another lock down or something. Can't wait to watch it at home, which is currently under a second lock down...

I think I heard that there’s only one guy translating it currently thanks to the pandemic or something and for whatever reason Crunchyroll hasn’t decided to pick the series up. So likely there’s going to be a bit of a delay when it comes to episodes for the time being.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Can't imagine CrunchyRoll had great numbers for VRains, so maybe they didn't bother

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
have some art of the coolest yugioh card that exists
https://twitter.com/Personfaces/status/1292918278885707786

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Episode 11 is out and subbed. I love this stupid show so much and I hope it never starts taking itself too seriously like a lot of previous seasons have.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I haven't been able to watch the episode yet but SEVENS is getting its own manga, unlike VRAINS!

It's about best boy Rook!

"YGOrganization posted:

Yu-Gi-Oh! SEVENS will be getting a manga in V Jump, titled “Yu-Gi-Oh! SEVENS Rook/Luke! Bakuretsu Hadou Den!!” (Roughly “Yu-Gi-Oh! SEVENS Luke! Explosive Supremacy Legend!”)

It will be written by Hikokubo Masahiro (as in the regular Duel Writer for the Yu-Gi-Oh! Franchise)
Art will be done by 杉江翼 Sugie Tasuku, who based on their name, should be a female artist. She’s previously worked on Tenjin, a manga done on Jump’s online manga services.

It is unclear if this will be a Dueling related manga, or a gag manga.

It starts in the next issue of V Jump

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nice, also it seems like SEVENS got a new translator and will now be released weekly every Wednesday. Not sure if said translator has a website but there are always other ways of seeing it. Still wish Crunchyroll would pick the show up though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

With the new translator, SEVENS appears to be back on its regular weekly uploading schedule again.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Those new translations are rough, judging from the episode I watched.

Also this episode was filled with twists and revelations!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

PowerBeard posted:

Those new translations are rough, judging from the episode I watched.

Also this episode was filled with twists and revelations!

"Rough" is a way to describe this, yeah. I hope by next week they get someone that actually speaks English, because these translations were full of grammar mistakes. I'm grateful for the effort and they didn't seem to have any mistakes in meaning, which is overall more important, but it was a big step down in quality from the previous subs (even if these use the correct Rook and not the terrible Luke).

Really good episode regardless, the Roa gags were hilarious and the Sevens Road Magician plot is interesting and adds an interesting rule to the Rush Duel...but it also makes no sense considering Sevens Road Witch exists, and that one wasn't given to Yuga back then. So unless Yuga made it up himself (in which case Roa is 100% in the right to call him out for cheating), we have a bit of a plot hole in our hands. Then again, Yuga seemed incredibly unaffected by the revelation, so he clearly fully knows what's the deal here and he's keeping it to himself.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
New episode is available and has a much better translation. Lot of fun character interactions, a reveal for Roa and an explanation for the Seven Roads archetype. Certainly feels like a change in the show dynamic.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm glad the subs were far better this week, and I hope this standard of quality remains, even if they're again using Luke. It's Rook! It's a pun on his last name! This isn't that hard!

Roa was a really cool antagonist and I'm glad that a lot of things that felt random ended up making complete sense (in as much sense as a YGO series can ever make). Also Roa's theme song was great, I hope it sticks as the ending, and it definitely made Roa feel like the protagonist when it played, a nice touch of him being just as much of King material as Yuga is.

And now we'll probably get some cooldown eps and afterwards whatever this "key" is. A new mechanic for Rush Duels was announced a few days ago, so it's most definitely that, but what it is, I have no idea. Are they adding the Extra Deck? Is it Fusion Summoning? That'd make sense.

EDIT: Apparently it is Luke and for the sake of honesty I will point out I was wrong. I mean, it was still likely meant to be Rook and romanization is hard, but I can't exactly go against an official source regardless.
https://twitter.com/canaria_tokyo/status/1272489229977698305/photo/1

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 30, 2020

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Latest episode showed off Lightning Condor, a pretty sweet card that allows you to lower your opponents attack based off of the level of a sacrificed monster.

More importantly though, we got to see a ship on a bigger ship and a guy with tuna eyebrows. Truly, Seven's is the peak of storytelling!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Romin keeps being weirdly competent for a YGO female character and I'm so happy about it. Please let her keep being cool.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I actually clapped when she used Gakuto's card, like, she actually learned a viable strategy for her deck!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SEVENS is possibly the best Yugioh season in years in my opinion, all the characters are fun for the most part and it never really takes itself too seriously. Hope this keeps up and it doesn’t go completely off the rails later on.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Larryb posted:

SEVENS is possibly the best Yugioh season in years in my opinion, all the characters are fun for the most part and it never really takes itself too seriously. Hope this keeps up and it doesn’t go completely off the rails later on.

See I understand why people might like that but

No YGO is good when they're taking it all 100% series and playing it straight. You don't need to make it more lighthearted the fact that they're playing a card game to decide and inter-dimensional holy war does that enough.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Larryb posted:

Ehhh, SEVENS is okay. I think the comedy works, but Rush Duels just aren't very interesting to watch and I actually don't like that it doesn't have stakes. Yugioh is at its best when it's settling extremely high stakes scenarios with card games, at least in my opinion. Plus I just really want Atachi to go away.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

See I understand why people might like that but

No YGO is good when they're taking it all 100% series and playing it straight. You don't need to make it more lighthearted the fact that they're playing a card game to decide and inter-dimensional holy war does that enough.

Yes, exactly.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

The absolute peak of YGO so far is still Sora vs Shun.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

Ehhh, SEVENS is okay. I think the comedy works, but Rush Duels just aren't very interesting to watch and I actually don't like that it doesn't have stakes. Yugioh is at its best when it's settling extremely high stakes scenarios with card games, at least in my opinion. Plus I just really want Atachi to go away.

Yes, exactly.

Oh to be fair the duels are the worst part of SEVENS in my opinion (which is a problem considering that’s the main point of the franchise) and compared to nearly every other incarnation I generally find them boring to watch.

The rest of it kind of makes up for that in my opinion and recently it does feel like they’re building up to some greater story to some extent. I imagine the stakes will raise eventually which I’m fine with as long as the character development doesn’t suffer as a result (for example, as mentioned Romin is a pretty competent female lead so far).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 22, 2020

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Duels are the best part when they involved well done characters. You get to see a metaphorical embodiment of a character's whole personality slap right against an other's. They're essentially the songs in musicals.

It's why Summoning chants became Such a thing. It's an amazing way to draw thematic lines between the archetype and the character.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Who was the dude who got caught in a trap, but it was a trap card and got blown up in Arc V?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Remember the guy in Arc V whose gimmick was physically beating the poo poo out of you during duels and the refs all shrugged and went "ain't nothin in the rules against it"

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Remember the prison arc where Sawatori turned his duel into a fun festival

that's character development, baby

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Blockhouse posted:

Remember the guy in Arc V whose gimmick was physically beating the poo poo out of you during duels and the refs all shrugged and went "ain't nothin in the rules against it"

That dude ruled and I'm sad he only showed up one more time. He should have been a main character. He was really a perfect foil for Yuya.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

MJeff posted:

That dude ruled and I'm sad he only showed up one more time. He should have been a main character. He was really a perfect foil for Yuya.

Name your favorite one-shot duelist. Mines the slightly muscular lady with a La Jinn deck. She talked like an English speaker trying to speak Japanese and I loved it. Is she still a card?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rudoku posted:

Name your favorite one-shot duelist. Mines the slightly muscular lady with a La Jinn deck. She talked like an English speaker trying to speak Japanese and I loved it. Is she still a card?

I forget, what season was that one from?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Rudoku posted:

I think that was a boy.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

MJeff posted:

I think that was a boy.

Nah she enunciated "watashi" with an accent so weird that even I noticed it watching the sub.

Larryb posted:

I forget, what season was that one from?
Arc-V Season 1. Right before the Lancers were formed.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Rudoku posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TizLzFCZt5c

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Just perfect 10/10 cheese with great musical cues to booth. Definitely a series highlight.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The La Jinn guy, Halil, is a dude. 'Watashi' is unisex, 'atashi' is specifically feminine.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

Just perfect 10/10 cheese with great musical cues to booth. Definitely a series highlight.

Just great the crowd getting weirded out but still thinking it's a show, SHun's seething rage the whole time and Sora's amazing shtick of "I'm jus a widdle bawwwby andikilledyourwholefamily"

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD7yMZEz6K8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL-AqpVS0Kw (full scene of above but not English subs)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd6hFTSne9g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIZbrwzPqSA

Sora and Shun were the BEST in all of Yu-Gi-Oh and this duel was amazing.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I'm pretty sure it was Sora vs. Shun that convinced me to give Arc V a try after falling off the anime sometime around mid 5Ds.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

In addition to that duel Shun will probably always have a spot on my favorite list just for blunting going "That's stupid" in the middle of the Zarc fight after he explains his latest round of dumb bullshit. Like not a paraphrase or anything he literally goes "That's stupid". Beautiful and, also, same Shun, same.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The fact those two never really settled it beyond five seconds during the stupid Zarc duel is one of the worst things about Arc-V. You even had Shun involved in a tag duel but of course Yuya had to shove his nose in.

Also my favorite one-shot duelist is that time Sartorius in GX revealed he'd brainwashed/seduced the princess of a foreign country and the best use of that he could think of was making her duel Jaden over the rights to where the school went on vacation.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Sep 23, 2020

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Dabir posted:

The La Jinn guy, Halil, is a dude. 'Watashi' is unisex, 'atashi' is specifically feminine.

Eh, I'm still into 'em. That's what I get for watching fansubs.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ended up buying Link Evolution despite my hatred of Legacy of the Duelist's card shop system cause I heard they fixed it.

And now I'm realizing I need to unlock all the packs again and it's tearing me apart.

Don't wanna play Story Decks and don't feel like playing Gravekeepers so I've been buying Kathy packs to play Fire Fist and the 4* Tuner just won't drop!!!!

So I've been considering buying Kaiba packs and going with that Blue Eyes Chaos Dragon Max deck that people keep recommending instead so I can unlock more booster packs / earn more DP. On the plus side, I never played the archetype before, so something new!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Ended up buying Link Evolution despite my hatred of Legacy of the Duelist's card shop system cause I heard they fixed it.

And now I'm realizing I need to unlock all the packs again and it's tearing me apart.

Don't wanna play Story Decks and don't feel like playing Gravekeepers so I've been buying Kathy packs to play Fire Fist and the 4* Tuner just won't drop!!!!

So I've been considering buying Kaiba packs and going with that Blue Eyes Chaos Dragon Max deck that people keep recommending instead so I can unlock more booster packs / earn more DP. On the plus side, I never played the archetype before, so something new!

They only kind of fixed it. It will still give you repeats but not as many.

What's this Chaos Dragon Max deck? Do you have a decklist? I've been playing Gravekeepers and Dragunity and it's getting boring..