Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ManSedan posted:

How’s Apple Arcade these days?

It’s good. It’s worth it if you game a lot on iOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

ManSedan posted:

Somewhere between meh and poor.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

ManSedan posted:

My kids like it, if it wasn't for them it would be a no-go for me

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

To clarify, I found it to be good if I currently gamed a lot on iOS. I don’t so I let the free trial run out. Use that information how you see fit.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I thought I’d like Apple Arcade but unfortunately my favorite iOS game genres (clickers, simulation/management) titles are not. It’s a shame too because I’d argue they’re the types of games ripe for IAP exploitation.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

how dare you post my 7 year-old son's home screen

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

ManSedan posted:

i guess i'll come out as a snob or whatever but 99% of ios games are complete trash. they're so boring. arcade is something of an exception but i still mostly don't consider it anything like traditional video games.

we signed up so the SO could play oceanhorn 2 which was worth the price of admission according to them, so there's that. and i mean i don't want to sound like nobody would like the service; i can imagine lots of people finding totally interesting things to play. i just mostly can't get into them.

if apple wasn't such a garbage baby about cloud gaming i'd be set.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Mr. Fix It posted:

how dare you post my 37 year-old son's home screen

shootforit
Oct 11, 2006

buglord posted:

I thought I’d like Apple Arcade but unfortunately my favorite iOS game genres (clickers, simulation/management) titles are not. It’s a shame too because I’d argue they’re the types of games ripe for IAP exploitation.

Care to mention your favorites from the 'clickers, simulation/management' genre? I love Fallout Shelter but it gets old after a couple of weeks.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Does Apple Arcade have decent puzzle games like Spell Tower ?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pinball wizard is pretty good tbh.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Is there a clear case for the XR that won’t turn yellow and make my phone look like it has a candy shell ? I gather it’s a common thing with these but I figure I’d ask.

My current case is the Spigen

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

drat, what’s with all these lame alarm sounds when you use the sleep schedule via Health? I don’t want someone playing wind chimes in the mist of the Amazon rainforest. Give me a diesel dump truck driving through a nitro glycerin plant while spewing tons of CO2 emissions that’s gonna gently caress up the ozone. Birds and poo poo aren’t going to wake me up.

Or just give me access to the regular alarm sounds. Seems odd I can’t pick radar.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Found that jerk that doesn't leave their phone muted 100% of the time!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
During covid I've been leaving my phone out of its leather case most of the time, since I use an alcohol pad on the phone almost daily. Would a silicone case be okay with an alcohol cleaner? Or am I just being overly cautious and the leather would actually be fine?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Minidust posted:

since I use an alcohol pad on the phone almost daily

RIP oleophobic coating

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Guys you are extremely unlikely to catch the coronavirus from your phone. Just wash your hands and don't sniff the phone directly.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

withak posted:

Guys you are extremely unlikely to catch the coronavirus from your phone. Just wash your hands and don't sniff the phone directly.

you can't tell me what to do, you're not my dad

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
my house my rules

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

Found that jerk that doesn't leave their phone muted 100% of the time!

Nah, it’s muted 24/7 but I prefer an alarm with some punch to the sound of pixie dust being gently sprinkled on a Swiss mountainside.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Pivo posted:

RIP oleophobic coating

gently caress oleo, I’m covidphobic

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

the most you should ever need to do to clean your phone is use a damp microfiber cloth. you basically never need anything fancier, whether it's sprays or alcohol or UV. i guess if you drop it in literal sewage, maybe some more work is needed.

not really related to corona but i always think about the less obvious vectors for biogrime. like how many times people have plugged their phone chargers in at the airport and never clean them. purses and backpacks get sat on the ground or whatever all the time but then most people don't think twice about bringing them in and setting them on a counter or table. and the american habit of wearing shoes inside. revolting.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Carplay connection seems totally hosed in 14.0 on my 6s+

Seems to work 25% of the time

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Minidust posted:

During covid I've been leaving my phone out of its leather case most of the time, since I use an alcohol pad on the phone almost daily. Would a silicone case be okay with an alcohol cleaner? Or am I just being overly cautious and the leather would actually be fine?

You're overdoing it. Wipe it with a moist microfiber cloth, then leave the phone and cloth in well-aired light for half an hour.

Sunlight sanitizes pretty well, especially UV. Will shorten the phone's lifespan, but it won't be too massive unless you let it overheat.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Partycat posted:

Is there a clear case for the XR that won’t turn yellow and make my phone look like it has a candy shell ? I gather it’s a common thing with these but I figure I’d ask.

No

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Is there no longer a way to remove icon names? Google says Settings > General > Accessibility > Vision > LABELS on/off. I don't see it anywhere.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Partycat posted:

I've had the "Smartish Nudist Frosted Clear Case" on mine for 18 months or so....no yellowing. At $12, cheap to replace yearly if it does yellow.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Partycat posted:

The waifu and mother in law have been using the iPhone 11 version of these and still look good after a year:

https://www.amazon.com/TORRAS-iPhone-Silicone-Electroplated-Compatible/dp/B07GWQLGPN

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

ManSedan posted:

seems like if you like indie games there's a lot of good ones in there

If all you do is play AAA titles you'll probably hate it.

https://kotaku.com/apple-arcade-one-year-later-1845133125

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Are app store updates very slow to start in iOS 14 for anyone else? Like I tap update all and it takes 15+ seconds for any to start making progress. Phone is an 8+ and this worked fine before this update

emdash fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 21, 2020

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

emdash posted:

Are app store updates very slow to start in iOS 14 for anyone else? Like I tap update all and it takes 15+ seconds for any to start making progress. Phone is an 8+ and this worked fine before this update

Yeah I'm seeing the same thing.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i wish apple would just up and put out a first-party gaming controller. i know they finally let in ps4 and xb controller support, but i'd like something official. small, well designed, sleekly pocketable, no need at all for as many buttons, fits in the pocket well, etc. and first party support would mean consistent mapping and support between apps (and obviously they can keep compatibility with third party controllers for those who'd prefer). aluminum or maybe that plastic from the iphone 5c.

honestly i really hope they're kinda embarrassed by apple tv's gaming. the absurd rules with the remote control held it back early on in my opinion. at least now some games can require a controller to play.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Apple removed the playlist updated date from AM playlists probably to hide the fact of how infrequently they’re updated. What’s the comparison to paid Spotify these days, anyone like Spotify better?

I like professional curation so much I’ve stopped having a real music collection and rely on these playlists, have resigned myself to paying a fee for life I guess.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Inner Light posted:

Apple removed the playlist updated date from AM playlists probably to hide the fact of how infrequently they’re updated. What’s the comparison to paid Spotify these days, anyone like Spotify better?

I like professional curation so much I’ve stopped having a real music collection and rely on these playlists, have resigned myself to paying a fee for life I guess.

I just checked and most of them listed when they were last updated. There were a couple missing but at least 90% were updated in the last week.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Zero One posted:

I just checked and most of them listed when they were last updated. There were a couple missing but at least 90% were updated in the last week.

Oh interesting, maybe they took it out when the date is past a certain point.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Spotify is better at recommendations than Apple music for me, someone that listens exclusively to Stoner/Doom and Psychedelic music.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

mediaphage posted:

honestly i really hope they're kinda embarrassed by apple tv's gaming. the absurd rules with the remote control held it back early on in my opinion. at least now some games can require a controller to play.

For the price of it compared to competitors they need to bundle 2 game controllers. It is and will remain a joke compared to chromecast/ amazon fire tv for just watching video.

And for games, it’s barely less expensive than a PS4 slim.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

phosdex posted:

Yeah I'm seeing the same thing.

Seems like my pihole was causing it, had to whitelist some new domains. IDK if you have something similar

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
The music widget still hasn't updated what tracks it shows since ios 14 launched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

wooger posted:

For the price of it compared to competitors they need to bundle 2 game controllers. It is and will remain a joke compared to chromecast/ amazon fire tv for just watching video.

And for games, it’s barely less expensive than a PS4 slim.

to be honest i think the ps4 is a terrible experience, too - i have one but the UI is awful and super slow. and if i go more than a week without playing it feels like i have to download a mandatory software patch or the system flat out refuses to work except for with discs, and only those that don't require any newer fw. obviously once in a game its fine, but it's a lovely enough journey getting there that sometimes i don't even bother.

like, i'm happy to pay the fees, software companies, lets get some good games on tvOS. at least squeenix et al is putting some full titles on there.