Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

eureka seven, soul eater, darker than black, motherfreacking space dandy, noragami, chaika, concrete revolutio, mob psycho 100, blood blockade battlefront, bones is very good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i have a hard time putting soul eater on that list after how it ended but it sure was cool up until the rush lever was thrown

hope to god that doesn't happen to Fire Force

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the manga should end before the anime gets there. it helps that the manga isn't dragging on and the anime is airing in seasons rather than endlessly.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Nipponophile posted:

Fair enough on Mob Psycho. I didn't particularly care for it, but I know it's got quite the following here. On the other hand, I would certainly call Space Dandy forgettable because I had in fact forgotten about it until you mentioned it. It was a fun enough show to watch as it came out, but ultimately there wasn't enough substance there to make me want to revisit it.

Really? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bones_(studio) The biggest standouts on this list to me are FMA and MHA, both of which have the writing do a lot of the heavy lifting. Aside from those, I could probably count on one hand the number of things I'd consider an "all time classic".

I dunno, different tastes and all. I haven't kept up with anime as much in the past 5 years as I used to, so maybe I'm just losing touch.

if the complaint you're making is that bones shows look good but don't have memorable writing how is it that the things with good writing are having the writing do the heavy lifting

also i dunno what substance you wanted out of space dandy. it literally is an animation showcase. like moreso than any other bones show it's a project meant to give different staff eps to play around with. it's the thing i can understand that complaint with the least because it's just a show that accomplishes the thing that it sets out to be

there are some forgettable shows in their lineup for sure but. every long-standing studio has some forgettable ones. this is not a bones thing this is an "even studios like kyoani have munto" thing. and like even among their less popular shows i don't think it's necessarily a mark of something's quality that it doesn't reach up to the level of a massively popular shounen adaptation. kekkai sensen s1 is a slightly controversial adaptation of a shounen that isn't really on the same level of popularity as mha and it's one of my favorite bones anime ever

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Sep 22, 2020

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Freakazoid_ posted:

anime is forgotten when people don't talk about it on a forum
I'm sad people forgot about Death Parade.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Grouchio posted:

I'm sad people forgot about Death Parade.

I didn't :colbert:. It really felt like it was angling for a second cour to tell a larger story at the end though.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i see death parade mentioned at least once every three months so i don't count it as a particularly forgotten show

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The one good thing I do remember about Burst Angel is some of the music was pretty banging.

"Loosey" by STRIPES is still one of my favorite opening songs to a show.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Futaba Anzu posted:

eureka seven, soul eater, darker than black, motherfreacking space dandy, noragami, chaika, concrete revolutio, mob psycho 100, blood blockade battlefront, bones is very good

Chaika!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
s1 of chaika is one of my favorite fantasy anime of all time.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWgcFhT35IY

boring as gently caress show, great ed

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

rahxephon, wolf's rain, scrapped princess, eureka seven, ouran, darker than black, soul eater, zetsuen no tempest, space dandy, noragami, chaika, blood blockade battlefront, snow white with the red hair, carole and tuesday. these are all shows that were very popular in their day and that you can still find discussion about. just because we don't discuss them on a 40 person forum thats primarily concerned with currently airing anime doesnt mean they dont matter.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I didn't :colbert:. It really felt like it was angling for a second cour to tell a larger story at the end though.

The second part of the thematic conversation Death Parade started is in Deca-Dence, where we very rapidly move from 'what is the problem?' (the gamification of the human experience by soulless, sadistic bureaucracy) to 'and how can we meaningfully fix it?' (smash capitalism, viva la revolucion). Decim simply hadn't yet got to the point where he needed to start breaking very large, important things to retain his soul - or, perhaps, the afterlife still existed as enough of a public institution to allow for some measure of humanity to still exist within it.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Sep 22, 2020

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Bungo Stray Dogs is extremely popular but it skews too fujo for much talk to happen on these forums

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Nipponophile posted:

Fair enough on Mob Psycho. I didn't particularly care for it, but I know it's got quite the following here. On the other hand, I would certainly call Space Dandy forgettable because I had in fact forgotten about it until you mentioned it. It was a fun enough show to watch as it came out, but ultimately there wasn't enough substance there to make me want to revisit it.

Really? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bones_(studio) The biggest standouts on this list to me are FMA and MHA, both of which have the writing do a lot of the heavy lifting. Aside from those, I could probably count on one hand the number of things I'd consider an "all time classic".

I dunno, different tastes and all. I haven't kept up with anime as much in the past 5 years as I used to, so maybe I'm just losing touch.

Well, I mean my question is, like, what would you consider a studio to have a lot of all time classics to be, if the studio that made both FMA and MHA (and a bunch of others) doesn't count? Is your comparison point Ghibli or something? I mean yeah probably FMA and MHA are a lot more successful than their other stuff, but like, that's true of almost all anime - most studios don't have a show like that!

Also I think you might be confused about what anime studios do if you think the "writing" counts less somehow.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Sep 22, 2020

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Fangz posted:

Well, I mean my question is, like, what would you consider a studio to have a lot of all time classics to be, if the studio that made both FMA and MHA (and a bunch of others) doesn't count? Is your comparison point Ghibli or something? I mean yeah probably FMA and MHA are a lot more successful than their other stuff, but like, that's true of almost all anime - most studios don't have a show like that!

Also I think you might be confused about what anime studios do if you think the "writing" counts less somehow.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/producer/1560/Yaoyorozu

doesnt get better then this, revolutionary both in writing, producing the first live anime which are a clear forerunner of the now popular vtubers, and in its trail blazing new animation

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Is that the shows where they put some VAs in a studio and just chatter and also like the episodes are like playing baseball in the living room levels of crazy? Unironically agree.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

yes

they also have good ops
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2NHwqqaGpU

the ova for this one is just the vas visiting a theme park

Davincie fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Sep 22, 2020

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

Freakazoid_ posted:

anime is forgotten when people don't talk about it on a forum

:emptyquote:

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Oh, I assumed Himote House was the same people. Well, same director though.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Fangz posted:

My point about writing is that the Fullmetal Alchemist anime wasn't hugely successful because it was a Bones anime, but because it was Fullmetal Alchemist. There are other studios out there that could have made an adaptation that got just as much discussion and buzz. Making a quality anime adaptation just doesn't seem to be as big a deal to me when you've got one of the all-time great shonen action series as your foundation.

I don't know, I don't feel like carrying on the argument since it seems to be a matter of personal taste. Just chalk me up as another bad opinion. All I know is that looking over the last 10 years of that Bones production list, the only show I really liked was Carole & Tuesday.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

im semi curious what you'd list as a non-forgettable studio at this point but in the interest of full transparency it's only because i want to lol at it

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Nipponophile posted:

My point about writing is that the Fullmetal Alchemist anime wasn't hugely successful because it was a Bones anime, but because it was Fullmetal Alchemist. There are other studios out there that could have made an adaptation that got just as much discussion and buzz. Making a quality anime adaptation just doesn't seem to be as big a deal to me when you've got one of the all-time great shonen action series as your foundation.

I don't know, I don't feel like carrying on the argument since it seems to be a matter of personal taste. Just chalk me up as another bad opinion. All I know is that looking over the last 10 years of that Bones production list, the only show I really liked was Carole & Tuesday.

Conterpoint: FMA only got quite as big and a popular as it has because of the multiple high quality anime adaptations. Besides, adaptation quality absolutely matters in how fondly people will remember a series.

Anyways:

https://twitter.com/AIR_News01/status/1308390910695104513

And the new season thread should be up either tonight or tomorrow :toot:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think some of the issue is that saying their shows were forgettable or not classics is kind of ignoring the impact and popularity of a really large portion of their catalog and that's not really a taste thing, you can dislike BSD for instance but that doesn't mean that it still isn't enormously popular with a really active fanbase. "I don't care for most of their shows" is a different statement and is perfectly valid, you're allowed to not like things :)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nipponophile posted:

this is an insane point to make about a franchise that got popular because of an anime that was 70% original material.

like brotherhood has sort of replaced it in the popular consciousness but the 2003 anime is what made fma such a huge success.

and nobody's talking about shows you like or dont like, people are talking about memorable or a show with a large back catalogue. like idk how to tell you this but plenty of people dont like fma, if those people said fma didnt matter those people would be morons. not for not liking fma, but because it obviously matters.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

And even then Brotherhood was significantly influenced by the assumption that 2003 was so popular that people would be at least somewhat familar with the early material.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Chaika? :raise:

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Yeah, I'm just wrong and out of touch.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

s1 of chaika is one of my favorite fantasy anime of all time.

Yeah it’s really good. My girlfriend and I watched it after seeing a panel at Anime Boston talking about anime and dungeons and dragons. Chaika was brought up because of its vibe of DnD party going on random adventures until the main plot creeps up on them.

Also I love Ouran Host Club, one of my favorites. A friend of mine said he couldn’t watch it because it was “too mean” and I still have no idea what he was talking about and my opinion of his taste is forever tarnished.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Uma Musume is getting an S2.

Mobage still MIA.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

What the gently caress is happening in God of Highschool? :psyduck:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Polsy posted:

Oh, I assumed Himote House was the same people. Well, same director though.

i did some research on this way back. theres very little on either studio on the english web but iirc my conclusion was they basically made most anime together, possibly sister studios? but this was before himote house came out so its hard to remember

MMania
May 7, 2008

chaika chaika... CHAIKA!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Motto posted:

Mobage still MIA.

:cripes: I hope the merchandise is selling well enough at least.

bideojames
Aug 29, 2004

>:3

Electric Phantasm posted:

What the gently caress is happening in God of Highschool? :psyduck:

i have no idea

i love it

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Everyone wanted the MacGuffin because it contains great power. You probably thought it was the main character but actually it was his childhood friend the whole time. The adults were busy trying to kill each other so the rear end in a top hat kid powered by sharks ate it and got really powerful and now it's time for a boss fight.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Motto posted:

Mobage still MIA.
Are any of the horses still alive?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Sindai posted:

Everyone wanted the MacGuffin because it contains great power. You probably thought it was the main character but actually it was his childhood friend the whole time. The adults were busy trying to kill each other so the rear end in a top hat kid powered by sharks ate it and got really powerful and now it's time for a boss fight.

Why did you leave out the part where

The USA tried to nuke Seoul, but someone came in, transported everyone out of Seoul, and then used those nukes to form one mega nuke and summon a meteor to nuke a God?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Let me just quietly note that I think Brotherhood is overrated and I'm one of the weirdos who likes the 2003 anime better. Also MP100 is a better show.

Also being good at picking source material to adapt is kinda also a pretty key role for the studio, one that many otherwise good studios can fall short on. (looking at you, Doga Kobo)

Fangz fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah frankly i'm disappointed dogakobo picks the shows they do sometimes. like, himouto! umaru-chan is maybe five episodes of good material stretched across two seasons, and mangirl was, if i can be honest, pretty pathetic. they're getting shown up a lot these days by other studios with a better eye for material, like kobayashi's dragon maid